Photo

Strongest Spring For A Nf?

21 replies to this topic

#1 FLNerfGunner

FLNerfGunner

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 07:17 PM

What would be the strongest spring for a NF? Would it be from another gun or is it a spring from a hardware store.

Thanks in advance.

#2 shadowkid33

shadowkid33

• Members
  • 633 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 07:25 PM

ACE Hardware #49 spring.
how the heck do you make a double clip?

Here are the steps.
1. Go to the search button in the right corner of the screen
2. Click
3. Search double longshot clip.

i dont have time, jeez, im new here!

#3 FLNerfGunner

FLNerfGunner

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 07:36 PM

Thanks for the fast reply man.

#4 sam

sam

• Members
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 08:13 PM

Just the #49. I've done a fair amount of testing with different spring set ups in NFs.
Here is what it looks looks like from strongest to weakest:
Handyman #9713 (Carrtoon's Spring)>#49>Old Version NF Spring> Ex-3 Spring> Dart Tag Version NF spring
I'm currently running a Old version NF spring with a mini bungee. I personally would use anything stronger than the #49, anything more and I feel that the gun would explode. Also Make sure you increase the seal on the plunger, so you can get the full force of the spring.

Edited by sam, 07 September 2007 - 09:01 PM.

#5 Retiate

Retiate

• Members
  • 778 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 08:32 PM

Pretty sure the Handyman springs from Homedepot give more power. They're the same strength (I think) but they're a bit longer. They're also tougher to get in, since it has to be compressed a little. However, people on here have reported several guns getting damaged from this spring (personally, I've never had a problem with it).
The spring is #9713.

#6 General Cole

General Cole

• Banned
  • 868 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 08:42 PM

Where can I find a 49 or 9713? I have checked both ACE's and Home Depot and Lowes and my local hardware stores. No dice.

Edited by General Cole, 07 September 2007 - 08:43 PM.

We should stop calling out/making fun of/pissing GC off. He's actually contributed and is available for trade. He's a better than average member no doubt. Got your back Cole.
-Nerfer34

You know what... I know it's kinda late... but Props Cole.
-Baghead

#7 FLNerfGunner

FLNerfGunner

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 08:46 PM

Anyone using this know any ranges?

#8 b00m13

b00m13

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 09:23 PM

I've never bought springs before, so my question is, do they have the springs in shelves, or is it in a display case, or do you have to ask for it in person because it's behind the counter or something?

Any help is much appreciated.
The only place Wal-Mart exists in New York, is in our TV's.

#9 blister

blister

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 10:40 PM

Handyman spring #9713 is THE best for nitefinders. You can only find it at Home Depot. I'm pretty sure my Nf's with this spring reach at least 80'. One even went through cardboard.

The springs are in a small little section (at my Home Depot) but I'm pretty sure you need to ask someone to find it, as it isn't on the signs.

At my OSH, I find the greatest springs for BBB's and other springers. I think it is product CS-884 or something... It is in the section near screws, nails, steel rods, and other metal products.
Subvert the Dominant Paradigm.

#10 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 10:51 PM

The package for the Handyman 9713 and other springs of the same brand will look like this. They are ALWAYS located in the "hardware" aisle, usually opposite or near the bolts.

As for ranges: In-fucking-sane. If you can keep your gun together (I have since re-attempted a modification to an NF with the 9713 with great success), and be able to cock the plunger, then the muzzle velocity, accuracy, and range are all highly superior to any other modification. Brass for the barrel, and then use caulk to fill ALL dead space around the plunger tube. First do the side that the screw ports are in, and peel out the plunger tube while the caulk is dry enough but weak enough to not follow it out of the shell. Then do the exact same on the opposite half of the shell, reinforce the plunger head, plunger rod, and plunger stopper, improve the seal, and put it back together and you have one of the greatest ass-kicking sidearms of all Nerf history.

Edited by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA, 07 September 2007 - 10:51 PM.

The only commonly shared fate among us all is death. I turn to the shadows so that I may not be unfamiliar with hell's corridors when I arrive. - SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

Founder of the Shadow Militia.
Founder of Nightshade Laboratories and The Nightshade Armament Corporation.

#11 b00m13

b00m13

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 11:04 PM

Ah thanks for the replies guy, I'll keep a look out next time.
The only place Wal-Mart exists in New York, is in our TV's.

#12 FLNerfGunner

FLNerfGunner

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 07:25 AM

Whats the strongest spring for the BBB?

#13 blister

blister

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 11:03 AM

Whats the strongest spring for the BBB?

At my OSH, I find the greatest springs for BBB's and other springers. I think it is product CS-884 or something... It is in the section near screws, nails, steel rods, and other metal products.

You need to cut the CS-884 down to the length of the stock spring, though. Can also be found at centuryspring.com
Subvert the Dominant Paradigm.

#14 Tofu

Tofu

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 09:59 PM

Oy thought you might want to know this. Home Depot only has like three types of springs. Spring 9713 is actually a lawnmower spring. so just if they sell springs at all and ask them where to find them. Spring 9713 can also be used in a bbb. Its not quite long enough originally so whild your at home depot pring your bbb plunger tube and find a nice pieve of pvc that you can use to make the spring taller. i believe i used a 3/4ths piece. You should be able to find a writeup about it on forsaken angels mod directory.
I eat air restrictors for breakfast.

QUOTE(P.C. III @ Jan 17 2008, 12:19 PM) View Post

A great nf can beat a crummy xbow...

^BS^

#15 the essence of death

the essence of death

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 12:02 AM

Seeing this post worries me because my brother is on a quest to make the strongest nf he can. Right now hes using the stock spring, the spring from an old busted firefly, and a scout spring, without the scout spring it hits about 75 feet without the ar's, with the scout spring it probably wont make it much further than 35 (we havnt done any real range tests) due to fishtailing.

P.S. He managed to slide the springs inside eachother incase anybody is wondering.

#16 One Man Clan

One Man Clan

TOFTS

• Contributors
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 06:30 AM

That sounds like a LOT of tension. I'm surprised he could cock it without something snapping with that kind of pressure.
I hate you.

#17 wldworld

wldworld

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 10:26 AM

Does anyone have the measurements on either the ACE #49 spring or the Home Depot Handyman #9713 spring?
QUOTE(Dragoon @ Jun 23 2007, 02:47 PM) View Post

I broke my clippers trying to cut the spring. So I couldn't break the spring with my bare hands so I used a hammer to pound the clipper handle and one of the clippers broke off.

#18 Retiate

Retiate

• Members
  • 778 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 10:52 PM

Does anyone have the measurements on either the ACE #49 spring or the Home Depot Handyman #9713 spring?

7/8" x 4" x .080

#19 FLNerfGunner

FLNerfGunner

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 09:20 AM

Is there a reason i can't find either spring online?

#20 shoeshine5

shoeshine5

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 08:24 PM

How hard is it to get a #49 into the nf? I tried with the home depot spring and had a ton of problems (because the spring is longer and must be compressed to fit inside.)
While you are busy reading this, I am eating your sandwich.

#21 sam

sam

• Members
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 08:40 PM

You should have no problem getting the #49 in. The #49 might actually be smaller than the stock spring.

#22 rocksolid

rocksolid

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 01:04 PM

How do you reinforce the gun after the spring replacement? Wouldn't the power be too great thus the shell of NF would shatter?

==Rock==
Dude. What's that behind you? AHHHH IT'S A STEFAN

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users