Photo

How The Hornet Works

1 reply to this topic

#1 b00m13

b00m13

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 08:04 PM

I didn't want to risk bumping a 2 year old thread and getting banned for it so I made this thread.

Hello and welcome curious members.

I'm assuming you are here because you are confused about how the Hornet's air system worked.
Unlike most air pressure powered guns, the Hornet has a very strange and unique firing system.
In most AP powered guns, there's usually a rod sticking out of the rear of the air chamber (Like with the Supermaxx series, Titan, etc.). When you pull on the trigger, it's connected to the rod, and pulls it along, which opens up the nozzle and "whoosh" (out goes the air).

The Hornet (and FA_24 mentioned the Blastfire too since they're similar guns) is a 'lil different.
It relies on changes of pressure to fire.
I'm going to borrow Renegade's pic to try to explain how it works.

(The valves and air were marked courtesy of FA_24 when he attempted to explain to me how the gun worked.)

Posted Image

Ok, when you pump the gun, the air goes directly into all of the tubes and air chambers (in blue).
There's a little rubber stopper rod inside each air tank. When you pump the gun, the air immediately pushes the stopper onto the nozzle (Preventing the air from escaping the chamber; sometimes it may take a sec to close it that's why you might notice some of the darts come out a bit.
The air pressure inside the tubes and chamber is exactly the same, and it's the only thing keeping the nozzle shut.

Here's a diagram to help you see the inside

Posted Image

Look back at the first picture and see the trigger mechanism.
When you pull on the trigger, it pulls back an orange rod that's inside the tube with the valves (marked with red dots).
The orange rod is actually what's blocking the air from escaping the gun (That's why it's doubled O-ringed).
With each pull on it, it moves back (Towards the trigger), and thus releases the air inside of the tube of the valve it just opened. Now that air has escaped the tube, the pressure inside the air chambers and the tube are different.

(Turn back to 2nd pic)
Air inside the chamber are much greater then the air inside the tube, so the air inside the chamber forces the
rubber stopper backwards (Capping the connection between the chamber and tube), and without the rubber stopper blocking the nozzle, the air will escape and force the dart out flying.

The End.

Hope that helps you understand how the Hornet works guys.
Personally I hate it because it's a lot of weight for a 6 dart gun, but for dissecting and salvaging for parts, it's the best. There's just so many goodies inside that can be used for other guns... and homemades.

PS Thanks FA_24 for explaining how the gun works.

Edited by b00m13, 13 July 2007 - 08:05 PM.

The only place Wal-Mart exists in New York, is in our TV's.

#2 bjack

bjack

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 10:19 PM

I used to have an air rocket that worked on this exact same concept. I tried to tear it apart and make it into a homeade but that never worked and i wrecked a perfectly good air rocket.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users