A Realy Simple Home Made

Great idea if your starting out

4 replies to this topic

#1 Sponge Nerfer

Sponge Nerfer

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 03:15 PM

This is just a realy easy to make, efficient, reliable and fun gun. The good old fashion ball valve rifle. Not much to describe, I was bored today, I had some old parts hanging around and I threw em togethor. I improved the ballvalve by attatching a metal dowel bent into a handel shape. The gun made for a nice afternoon of shooting stuff. The best part is that its pretty easy to figure out how to make yourself and you can change it to fit your needs and desires. I used a shrader valve for input, a section of 2" pvc as the main tank, and a 3/4" ballvalve to shoot the thing. It gets about the same ranges as a titan and is a whole lot cheaper (this badboy cost me a grand total of 0 dollars, I had all the parts, if you have absolutely nothing your looking at around 10$). Without further ado here are some pictures.

Overall Gun:

Posted Image

Compared to a Shoe:

Posted Image

The Tank:

Posted Image

The valve with its handel:

Posted Image

Cool first person view:

Posted Image

Well thats about it, comments are welcome as always.

-sponge
When in doubt, make a huge nerf cannon of death.

#2 Gyrvalcon

Gyrvalcon

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 03:33 PM

Won't the handle that you added to the ball valve just make for a slower release? You get lots of torque with that, but not as much speed, right?
-Knowledge Is Power-

#3 monkey with a nf

monkey with a nf

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 06:17 PM

I think the idea is to make it easier to open; ball valves take a fair amount of force.
QUOTE(Pineapple @ Sep 12 2007, 03:13 PM) View Post

For maximum efficiency?

1. Pump up. Count how many pumps.

2. Keep going until you hear a loud "bang".

3. Subtract one pump from the total. Rebuild your air bladder.

There you go.

#4 GeneralPrimevil

GeneralPrimevil

• Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 08:43 PM

It seems to me as if blisters will appear rapidly using that handle.

Perhaps attach some sort of sleeve (1/2" CPVC?) using an e-clip in a groove on the end of that handle? That may increase opening time by all of a hundredth of a second, as well.

If one were really worried about opening time vs. ease of use, finding a compromise in length would be the simplest option in my mind. Obviously shorter = faster, longer = ease of use in this application...

Or just get some muscle on those forearms. Try taking a 2" or so cylinder (old piece of exhaust pipe), drill a hole in the middle (all the way through both sides), run a good sized length of string through the hole, tying one end to the cylinder the other to a plate-style weight (something you'd see on the end of a freeweight bench press bar). Twist the cylinder in both hands, wrapping the string around the cylinder. This should be lifting the weight in the air, at the same time exercising most of the muscles used when opening a ball valve.
Don't overdo it with wrist exercises: carpel tunnel syndrome is so enjoyable.

I like that duct tape sling. I may have to make one of those for my girlfriend's rifles...perhaps an AK.
"Fear the man with one gun, for he probably knows how to use it."

#5 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 780 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 11:50 AM

Won't the handle that you added to the ball valve just make for a slower release? You get lots of torque with that, but not as much speed, right?

True. T=Fd, so the torque is great due to a long handle (d = radius). The opening time is longer, due to the distance you need to travel.
QUOTE(VACC @ Jan 24 2008, 06:12 AM) View Post
I am NEVER going to sleep naked in the bed of a former child star ever again....seriously

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users