Renegade Style

4 replies to this topic

#1 Renegade

Renegade

• Members
  • 536 posts

Posted 24 December 2006 - 05:33 PM

Extreme Crossbow Reinforcement

The Crossbow is a great gun. Most people know that. But to achieve it’s Max distances. Certain measures must be taken to prolong the life of the gun. Otherwise, the gun may just crumble in your hands. The basic Crossbow Reinforcement is taking a piece of sheet metal, bending and cutting it to fit into place where the spring meets the plastic pegs. Then, gluing some metal to the plunger rod to keep it from snapping under the pressure.
This is certainly a fine method. But there are more one can do to increase the crossbow’s life expectancy. And there are easier ways than mending and molding metal.

On a trip to the Hardware store to pick up some parts I discovered an aisle with various metal parts for holding wood pieces together. There were many different shapes and sizes. I noticed a small 90 degree angle out of metal. I instantly thought about my crossbow that needed more reinforcement. So I bought one for $.41.

Posted Image

Posted Image
(Camera phone)

My Crossbow was already opened up so checking it was easy. It had a PERFECT fit.

Posted Image

One problem with just gluing a piece right there is it’ll move the entire plunger tube, since it’ll be poking out a ways. To fix this I cut a slit RIGHT before the plastic spring catch is. I was able to fit the metal piece in there. Again, it had a perfect fit.

Posted Image

The next step will be cutting the Metal Piece so that the plunger can fit though. Put it in place, and then mark it with a sharpie. I suggest using a reinforced cutting tool. Mince hasn’t broke yet after cutting though this and more metal pieces. MUCH more durable than the standard Dremel cutting wheels.

Posted Image

And now we use Plumbers Goop to make it stay in place.

Posted Image

Posted Image

That is done for the most part. We'll be adding to this set-up later. But for even more support for those plastic pegs lets Make sure it has no chance of snapping backwards. I used two 5/16 x 2in Hex Cap Screws to accomplish this.
First, drill 2 circle shaped holes behind the plastic posts. Make sure you have one on each half of the crossbow, so they will go though the whole gun.

Posted Image

These bolts are different than the hex cap screws I mentioned. They’re a tad longer but they work the same.

Posted Image

Fasten each one on the other side of the crossbow with a nut. My bolts came with nuts so it was easy to get the right sizes.

End of Part one.

Alright, I guess there's a new feature that does not allow double posting. With the picture limit at 10, I need ONE person to post so that I can reply with part two, then ONE person to post so I can reply with part 3. Please don't say much of anything in this post. Or notthing at all.

Edited by Renegade, 24 December 2006 - 11:43 PM.

#2 Ryan201821

Ryan201821

Prince Edward

• Contributors
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 24 December 2006 - 05:55 PM

-------------------------------

#3 Renegade

Renegade

• Members
  • 536 posts

Posted 24 December 2006 - 07:07 PM

Part Two

The Plunger Rod

Fist off, you will need to sand down the ridges on the yellow plunger tube in order for it to fit inside the shell.

Posted Image

The crossbow plunger rod has a tendancy to snap where it catches with the catch mech. This can be fixed by gooping metal screws there to fasten it to other pieces and spread out the force being used on it.

Be sure to put Plumbers goop in the spot, and then put the screws in place. This will help keep it secured in place.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The next thing I did was install a new catch on the plunger rod. Mine was slowly being worn away and I wanted a more permanent solution.

So I sanded off the catch and plastic behind it away.

Posted Image

And then I gooped metal of the same thickness as the original plastic onto it.

Posted Image

I tested it, and sure enough it worked.

End Part 2

Edited by Renegade, 23 June 2007 - 12:12 PM.

#4 sam

sam

• Members
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 24 December 2006 - 11:59 PM

------------------------------------------

#5 Renegade

Renegade

• Members
  • 536 posts

Posted 25 December 2006 - 01:07 AM

Reserved for part 3.

Thank you to all who posted. Now anyone can comment all they want. I'll finish up these next parts over the next few days.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users