M.p.bar (mass Producable Bolt Action Rifle) Mk.1

first homemade rifle

17 replies to this topic

#1 DTReaper

DTReaper

• Members
  • 309 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 03:41 PM

Ok, so its been a while since i saw a new spring homemade so I said fuck it ill make one of my own. So I set to work. This poject took me 2-3 days to make. Its a bolt action rifle with 2, 25LB springs glued together for proplsion.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Length: 31 inches
hight: 7.5 inches
barrel length: 8 inches
caliber: micro stephans
ROF: 60RPM
Power: spring plunger 4
Plunger stroke: 4 1/2 inches
Loading: bolt action breech
flat range:65 feet
angled range: 105 feet
Design: When I origanally designed it it was a much better gun with a magazine, however this gun is the dumbed down version of It. I designed it in school using parts I knew I have. I made it with mass production and high reproducability. This is one of the simplist designs I made. After my first faliure of a pistol I realized I needed metal for the catch parts as it is far more durable.
Materials: The materials for this are very easy to get.
-1/2 inch PVC
-1/2 inch CPVC
-3/4 inch PVC
-1 inch PVC
-1 1/4 inch PVC
-clothspin
-nail
-random screws from basement
- 3/4 inch PVC endcap
-3/4 to 1/2 inch PVC reducer
-1 1/4 to 1/2 inch PVC reducer
-nut and bolt unknown size
-2, 25LB springs
-1/2 inch CPVC endcap
-o-rings
-washer from basement with ID of OD of 1/2 CPVC
Component detail
Posted Image
Internal pic
Posted Image
plunger and plunger tube
Posted Image
clothspin trigger and spring
Posted Image
grip and other things in background
Posted Image
open breech
Improvements:
-Make magazine for it
-move trigger forward and use scar-n trigger system
-make range better
Questions and comments will be answered.

-DTR

Edited by DTReaper, 27 November 2006 - 07:57 PM.

QUOTE(VACC @ Dec 5 2008, 12:09 AM) View Post

That's it. I'm done. I'm sorry there are breasts on the Internet.

#2 Rambo

Rambo

Fear the Robble...

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 03:47 PM

Nice job. Whats the ROF like?

#3 DTReaper

DTReaper

• Members
  • 309 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 03:53 PM

The ROF is ok since it primes and opens the breech in one pull you can just put a dart in and push the bolt forward and fire. So it depends on how well you can load the dart. Probably about 5 seconds per dart if you have it in your hand so about 30RPM probably less. But thats the max speed.

-DTR

#4 Commonly Hunted

Commonly Hunted

• Banned
  • 254 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 04:50 PM

That's nice.

Is this a gun to be used without shells?

When you make the magazine, how many darts do you think it will hold?

Is the gun comfortable to hold? the stock looks to short to hold against your shoulder.

How long is the plunger stroke?

And I think you should be able to load a single dart in less than 5 seconds. Count "Mississippi seconds" as you load a dart and tell us how long it takes. I'd think you could get at least two shots off before 5 seconds. Maybe four at most if you're really fast.
QUOTE(Pineapple)

Next one who wants to be Michael Jackson, and save the world, gets a trip to Neverland.

Buy Boltsniper's guns!
Borrowed by FoamReaper of Boltsniper Forums.

#5 The Crackerjack Man

The Crackerjack Man

• Members
  • 203 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 05:00 PM

Also one other question to add to Commonly Hunted's, How did you secure the trigger on and is it holding nicely?
"Wow, you realy screwed that guy over"

#6 DTReaper

DTReaper

• Members
  • 309 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 06:19 PM

Commonly hunted: yes it doesn't use shells, I don't know how many darts ill try to get as many in as I can in a small a space as possible, Yes it is uncomfortable thats what I plan to fix in the MK.2 using the SCAR-N trigger system so I can move it forward considerable. The plunger stroke is about 4 and 1/2 inches maybe a bit more. I plan on making the gun a bit longer and getting a third 25LB spring in there to improve range. Yeah "Mississippi seconds" I could maybe get them in faster but there is a slight problem that the outer breech cover doesn't go back far enough so it doesnt uncover the inner breech (the part where the dart goes in).
The_CrackerJack_Man: The trigger is just a piece of metal I believe it is an L it had 2 screw holes on each side and is ideal for a clothspin trigger. And I had it held with epoxy but for some reason my epoxy sucks ass and Now its held with hot glue. It hasn't broken yet so the high melt glue is pretty good.

-DTR

Edited by DTReaper, 27 November 2006 - 06:19 PM.

#7 PiMpDaDdY

PiMpDaDdY

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 07:51 PM

Very nice. It only took you 2-3 to make? I think a clip would make it look sexier. Very good job.
NerfMonkey:
I only ask because I'm thinking of trying these and it would suck if the balls got all covered with hairs after a while.

#8 DTReaper

DTReaper

• Members
  • 309 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 07:56 PM

Yes 2-3 days that includes all designing and Ill add ROF which is actually about 60RPM. And yes I will post the MK.2 which will include a clip and increased range and better trigger mech when I am done with it.

-DTR

Edited by DTReaper, 27 November 2006 - 08:01 PM.

#9 DTReaper

DTReaper

• Members
  • 309 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 09:02 PM

Ok some people have suggested that I build a clip system for it and This is exactly what I intended to do from the start in fact the more complex Mk.2 was designed before the Mk.1. This has a clip system in it however it seemed complex at the time so I built this to test theories and other things but before that I had built most of the Mk.2 including the clip system, well mostly. So these are the pics of the clip system.
Posted Image
Outside
Posted Image
closer up outside
Posted Image
from top bottom
Posted Image
front
Posted Image
from outside
Posted Image
bolt closed
Posted Image
bolt opened
Posted Image
start of clip in correct spot. Clip missing sheet metal so basically the wood in between the PVC parts is where the metal would be.
It is basically a 1 inch to 1/2 inch T PVC coupler with a 1/2 inch PVC T inside and centered, using other PVC pieces. outside of the main part 1 and 1/4 inch PVC. The clip will be made of 1/2 inch PVC and sheetmetal. It will use 2 inch micro stefans. I still need to make the spring out of something.

-DTR

#10 six-five-two

six-five-two

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 10:28 PM

Dude, that's amazing. Why did you use 25lb springs? Why didn't you just get a AR15 one like in the F.A.R.?

Edited by six-five-two, 27 November 2006 - 10:37 PM.

#11 DTReaper

DTReaper

• Members
  • 309 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 07:01 AM

Dude, that's amazing. Why did you use 25lb springs? Why didn't you just get a AR15 one like in the F.A.R.?

Well as the tital suggests I was going for mass producability which means simple and the materials must be easy to get and if I had gone with the AR 15 spring I would have to get it online however since I have to get some music wire online I guess I may get one. Anyone want to give me the hyperlink for that really cheap place to buy them? The two 25LB springs are commonly at my homedepot which is a short walk from my house so they are very easy to get.

-DTR

#12 Commonly Hunted

Commonly Hunted

• Banned
  • 254 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 10:43 AM

Here's the link you requested. And everything looks like it's going smoothly. Nice job.
QUOTE(Pineapple)

Next one who wants to be Michael Jackson, and save the world, gets a trip to Neverland.

Buy Boltsniper's guns!
Borrowed by FoamReaper of Boltsniper Forums.

#13 six-five-two

six-five-two

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 03:46 PM

Is there anyway you could make the pictures a bit bigger?

#14 DTReaper

DTReaper

• Members
  • 309 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 04:24 PM

Is there anyway you could make the pictures a bit bigger?

No I cant make the pictures bigger just click on them to see the whole thing. They are an OK size.

-DTR

#15 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 06:07 PM

Nice job. I was actually thinking of designing a bolt-action myself as a proof-of-concept test gun for the systems I will be using in my shotty. I might wind up using a design similar to yours, but I was originally planning for it to look something like a WWII-era Lee-Enfield, but much shorter and with a detachable magazine. Once you get the Mk. II up, tell me how smooth the feed system is.
The only commonly shared fate among us all is death. I turn to the shadows so that I may not be unfamiliar with hell's corridors when I arrive. - SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

Founder of the Shadow Militia.
Founder of Nightshade Laboratories and The Nightshade Armament Corporation.

#16 DTReaper

DTReaper

• Members
  • 309 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 07:38 PM

Nice job. I was actually thinking of designing a bolt-action myself as a proof-of-concept test gun for the systems I will be using in my shotty. I might wind up using a design similar to yours, but I was originally planning for it to look something like a WWII-era Lee-Enfield, but much shorter and with a detachable magazine. Once you get the Mk. II up, tell me how smooth the feed system is.

Sure Ill tell you but it will take me a while to get it up plus I will be doing a writeup for the MK.II so you can expect that but it will take me awhile to aquire parts and find time to make it but one or two good weekends should do it. As you know this is actally the prototype for the MK.II even though it was designed before much like you are planing. But if I can get all that parts it will be up soon with a writeup.

-DTR

#17 Pineapple

Pineapple

Old-school Admin

• Contributors
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 07:44 PM

It's sort of SNAP-ish, by basic design. But you've customized the breech and bolt system.

Really, really nice. Good on ya to throw your own design together and have it work well.

I'm surprised no one mentioned this yet. You now have the most expensive NERF homemade around. That SureFire integrated foregrip/ light costs a bundle. Did you put a Picatinny rail on your homemade?

I sure wish I had the motivation and free time to finish both my FAR and my SNAP. Half-done, both of them.

-Piney-
-Piney- of White Dog Hobbies Armory

<!--quoteo(post=209846:date=Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM:name=boom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boom @ Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
It's to bad you live in hawaii I bet there are not many wars there.Wait what am I saying<b> you live in hawaii you lucky bastard.</b>
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#18 DTReaper

DTReaper

• Members
  • 309 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 09:37 PM

It's sort of SNAP-ish, by basic design. But you've customized the breech and bolt system.

Really, really nice. Good on ya to throw your own design together and have it work well.

I'm surprised no one mentioned this yet. You now have the most expensive NERF homemade around. That SureFire integrated foregrip/ light costs a bundle. Did you put a Picatinny rail on your homemade?

I sure wish I had the motivation and free time to finish both my FAR and my SNAP. Half-done, both of them.

-Piney-

Actually that surefire was my brother's (he was in the air force TAC-P to be procise for you people who don't know thats the people who tell the pilots where to drop the bombs) and he told me to put it on a gun. I just used a screw to attach a piece of thickish sheet metal to the PVC and that seemed to work well. I plan on moving it to my MK.II which is almost finished on the design plans right now. By the way thanks for the praise Piney coming from someone like you means alot.

-DTR

Edited by DTReaper, 28 November 2006 - 09:39 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users