Photo

Favorite Music Style -poll-

Name Your Favorite Music And Band

44 replies to this topic

Poll: Favorite Style Of Music (66 member(s) have cast votes)

Name Your Music Style

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#26 davenelz

davenelz

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 11:18 AM

Edited by davenelz, 05 July 2014 - 05:51 PM.

#27 sistermol

sistermol

• Members
  • 282 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 11:21 AM

i voted other cause i like death metal becoming the archetype is my favorite
Without darkness how would we recognize the light?

#28 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 11:37 AM

Fix your fucking capitalization and punctuation. It's driving me insane. Fix it or consider yourself suspended.

~ompa

#29 Lancaster

Lancaster

• Members
  • 233 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 01:23 PM

... but lately I've switched to more ambient bands like Icelandic group Sigur Ros and Godspeed You! Black Emperor.

There you go, I've seen both of them live.
I've Seen sigur ros twice, once for 8 bucks, once for 80. and 5 years apart

Same's gonna happen with dragonforce when they get bigger than they already are... sadly

Nice. Did you see them both at the same time? I heard about a Sigur Ros and GSYBE! concert in 2000 (or maybe 2001? I can't remember). I wish they'd come down south, instead of only touring in Northern America and Europe.

#30 davenelz

davenelz

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 01:53 PM

naw, didnt see em together.
if i had, The venue might have fallen asleep.

#31 sam

sam

• Members
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 02:38 PM

I saw the Reel Big Fish/Streetlight Manifesto show last night. It kicked so much ass.

#32 deathwolf

deathwolf

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 04:33 PM

I really like new indie stuff like Kasabian and Bloc Party. Old school punk like The Clash and the Sex Pistols are cool too...and classic rock like The Who and Led Zeppelin are awesome too.
BROOD XIII

#33 LordoftheRing434

LordoftheRing434

• Members
  • 565 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 07:12 PM

Boy, if I were a few days earlier, Sponge wouldn't have had that little out burst.

Yes, the Beatles are one of my top rated bands. I listen to them frequently as well as Elvis Presley. Both of which provided a major influence on rock music as we know it.

Acutally, I'm a very well-rounded listener with the exception of modern pop/punk rock. I can't say I listen to anything after 1995 except for Tenacious D and Nickel Creek.

However, my heart lies with Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Bob Marley, The Who, Queen, Donovan, Jefferson Airplane, Fleetwood Mac, Cream, Eric Clapton, Michael Jackson, and Prince (he began in St. Paul and I'll be living there next year, so I'm going to frequent the club he began at). I enjoy the prog rock bands as well (Styx, Rush, etc.). And then there's classic '80s pop with Jackson and Prince. That set the standard, but I never carried over my listening to the late '90s - '00s.

I'll even listen to classical music too, because I've had a good exposure to it through my church's music group, my high school concert band, and my family. Favorite composers here are Beethoven, Mozart, Bach, Tchaikovsky, Handel, and Gliere.

~Rings
And when he gets to Heaven, to St. Peter he will tell, "One more soldier reporting sir, I've served my time in hell."

"I bluff it. I don't throw my weight around and say I know what I'm doing." ~ Mick Jagger

#34 warx

warx

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 02:30 AM

I saw the Reel Big Fish/Streetlight Manifesto show last night. It kicked so much ass.

Holy shit, I would've eaten a pair of scissors covered in battery acid while coloring myself with a extra-toxic fushia sharpie to attend that concert. Or just the price of gas plus $20 for tickets.

Ska is one of my current phases; the style is peppy and never seems inappropriate.

Then again, Broadway showtunes display a variety of subgenres and numerous abundently-talented performers. Plus, their 'concerts' tell a story.

Bah. It's difficult to discribe musical interests without giving a huge link that would list my entire history of listening, and the task of choosing just one branch on the huge melodic redwood is just plain impossible.
The perfect signature does not exsist.

#35 badger

badger

The Walking Nerf-wiki

• Members
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 03:22 AM

This is a hard topic for me to give a straight answer for. I have a very eclectic taste in music. I love heavy metal, whether it be "Metallica" or my friend's now defunct band "Scorched Earth Policy", but I also like every other genre of music that is out there. A better way for me to post in this topic is to say what I don't like. Country and western music do absolutely nothing for me, save for a small handful of songs that came out over the past 5-8 years. The other main genre that just irks me is any Christian religious music. I may never understand why, but it drives me crazy to hear preachy music, the kind that says the same thing over and over again for 15 minutes!!! I haven't found a single Christian song yet tat I can tolerate for more than 3 seconds, and they seem to be the only type of religious music that does this to me. I have no problem with Judaic, Pagan, or any other type, just Christian. I can't explain it. Just the way I am wired.
As Carbon once said,

"The moment you can no longer see the fun in running around like a little child is the moment you begin to die."

Roses are FF0000
Violets are 0000FF

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US

#36 sam

sam

• Members
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 03:59 PM

Holy shit, I would've eaten a pair of scissors covered in battery acid while coloring myself with a extra-toxic fushia sharpie to attend that concert. Or just the price of gas plus $20 for tickets.

Ska is one of my current phases; the style is peppy and never seems inappropriate.

Yeah, as I mentioned the concert kicked ass. The only downside is that I can't stop listening to "Beer" by Reel Big Fish.
Minnestoa actually has a decent Ska scene. Chicken Poodle soup, The P.Laquers, and such are all sweet local bands to see.

#37 LordoftheRing434

LordoftheRing434

• Members
  • 565 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 05:05 PM

Minnestoa actually has a decent Ska scene. Chicken Poodle soup, The P.Laquers, and such are all sweet local bands to see.

Must be something about Southern MN. Up North, we have a lot of folk music. Maybe that's Bob Dylan's influence on the region (he was born in a town 2 hours north of me). Anywho, I've seen some metal bands around here, but that's about it other than folk.
And when he gets to Heaven, to St. Peter he will tell, "One more soldier reporting sir, I've served my time in hell."

"I bluff it. I don't throw my weight around and say I know what I'm doing." ~ Mick Jagger

#38 DJ Hurley

DJ Hurley

• Members
  • 184 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 04:30 AM

Whoray for being the only person for putting down hip hop! :)
It's my life, my love, my religion. ^_^

Overuse of smilies. -_-
NERF CITY
You're a dipshit, stop posting.
I'll let you know when you can start again.
Yes, I'm serious. ~Cxwq

#39 meiser5

meiser5

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 02:10 PM

Wow... Thirty eight post and counting. I thought this thread would have died off already. It sure is good to see that there is still a taste for good music out there. Again, to anyone who voted but could not post a vote in a section they wanted to do, I apologize for not getting every type of music in there. So if you cannot find your style, just tell us about it in a post along with your favorite group or band.

Meiser---- :(
Account Suspension Notification

[DYE]Terminator[gen],
Your member account at NerfHaven has been temporarily suspended because I don't like you. Shindig doesn't like you either. You watch yourself, we're wanted men. I have the death sentence on 12 systems.
Talio---

#40 pistolmancerMEEP

pistolmancerMEEP

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 09:01 PM

Alternative,Heavy metal:Green Day, Twisted sister, Sum41, My chemical romance,....

I feel small in conparison to you guys about how many bands you know.
Me like shotgun.

#41 davenelz

davenelz

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 06:55 PM

Just need to know the right people.
twisted sister? lawl...

#42 SG Pilot

SG Pilot

• Members
  • 281 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 11:01 PM

Am I the only one here who likes techno or trance?

I like trance (like techno) and Psychedelic Trance. I also like some classic rock, grunge, dance beats and of course rock and hard rock.

-AC/DC
-Gorilla Z, Feel Good
-Elton John
-Disturbed, Down with the sickness
-Weird Al (lol)
-Creedence Clearwater Revival, Fortunate Son

and many more...

Edited by SG Pilot, 13 August 2006 - 11:07 PM.

QUOTE(VACC @ Oct 9 2009, 04:45 AM) View Post

I know, I HATE toy guns that are made for little kids!

#43 AODL

AODL

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 04:53 PM

Metal,Hard/some Glam Rock, and some rap. Favy bands are AC/DC, Godsmack, Guns 'n' Roses, Led Zeppelin, Chamillionaire, Evanessence, KISS, and Korn.

Edited by AODL, 06 October 2006 - 07:05 PM.

I don't really undestand why General Cole is making articles of clothing with my name on it. First it frightened me, but after a few hours I got over it. It seems obvious that General Cole is hoping to have sex with me.

#44 Rambo

Rambo

Fear the Robble...

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 05:16 PM

" Description"

As for me, Metallica is my favorite band of all time.
If any body does not know who they are please click this. http://youtube.com/w...earch=metallica

Meiser---- B)

Edit--- Dark Shrimp I am very sorry that I forgot to put Alternative in the mix.

Heh, if you don't know Metallica, you don't deserve a post in here.

Deep breaths... Deep breaths... ok, I am amazed. Not a single one of you people even mentioned the greatest band of all time, the ones who breathed life into the style of rock and roll, The Beatles! Common people if I am the only one who like the beatles here than man in my oppinion you guys have no taste in music. How can you not like them? Almost all of their songs are amazingly well written and preformed. They basicly started rock and roll! One could argue that it was elvis but he probably didnt write his own music and really had almost no skill. All he did was swing his hips around in a suggestive manner but the beatles were truly talented musicians. There would be no Metalica or motorhead or any other of you insanely cool death metal, blood-spitting, drug addicts without them. So common guys, maybe they are a little old and maybe there music is dated but you gotta at least mention them in this topic if you chose rock or metal on that poll. (you probably figured this out by now, but I chose rock)

-sponge

Anyone who knows me or the size of my library(100+GB) knows not to fuck with me on the subject of music.
Now, if I am out of line as to TIS' guidlines for music threads let me know and I will edit. I am not dissing any band or any sytle of music (even though I don't like much other than metal, I respecct other people's choices(except genres like Opera if that's even a genre)). I would merely like to jump into healthy debate as to the roots of metal. Of the many hundreds of sub-genres of metal, few date before Napalm Death, Black Sabbath, early Ozzy, etc. I don't think that bands like Napalm Death and earlier grindcore were at all influenced by teh Beatles(If you think otherwise, please inform me). Napalm Death in my mind is one of the most pivotal and influencial bands throughout almost any sub-genre of metal. They've evolved in so many ways from there <1 minute grindcore "What the fuck is he saying" speed metal out to so many other branches. A shitload of metal bands (not the mainstream that this thread mainly reeks of(Not that all mainstream metal bands are bad, but so many better ones are so unappreciated by today's typical teen "goth" or "metalhead")) have been influenced by members of Napalm Death and some were even started by them.

Many argue that Black Sabbath was the origional metal band, and I disagree. In my mind they are closer to hard rock than to anything resembling metal. If you choose to classify them as metal, I can understand where you come from, but really their early stuff is so different from what I consider metal that I just can't. From this, I don't consider them the most pivotal or influential band in the metal genre, but yes, I do respect them as one of many important influences.

As for my favorite metal bands, I can bet that if any of you have heard of any of the metal bands atop my playlists for the past few months, it will be a minimal number of you and you won't have heard of many of the bands.

Some such bands are:
Persefone
Zyklon
Panzerchrist
Agalloch
Amon Amarth(arguably my favorite release of this year "With Odin on our Side"
The Project Hate MCMXCIX
Shade Empire
Sworn Enemy
Any band that Devin Townsend is involved with
Any band that Don Swano is involved with

If any of you like metal, check out any of these bands, and I can almost guarentee that you will not be disappointed. Sure, if you only like Thrash Metal, you won't like a band like Persefone since they are more Progressive/Doom Metal, or Agalloch who is Folk Metal(Among others).

Sorry if this post is way too long, but music is probably just about my favorite thing in life....

Oh yeah, I've been listening to Steven Seagal lately too

Edit: Sorry for the post, didn't realize it was so old before the post before mine.

PPS:
After thinking it over about the Beatles, I guess I can adknowledge their influence on metal of today. Stay with me on this path The Beatles>Led Zeppelin>Black Sabbath>Death>Napalm Death(I merely add them because of my previous statement). So yes, the Beatles in some distant way would have been influential or a necessity to the development of modern metal bands, but I don't think that if the Beatles had never existed that there never would have been metal.

Edited by RAMBO, 07 October 2006 - 11:58 AM.

#45 Substance Abuse

Substance Abuse

• Banned
  • 487 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 06:04 PM

Metal. Favorite band is Pantera.

Song: Fucking Hostile
QUOTE(Brass @ Jul 6 2007, 10:30 PM) View Post

QUOTE(keef @ Jul 6 2007, 09:29 PM) View Post

Yeah, I'm in the same case as Substance Abuse...
Brass, ask your mother.

She said your dad owes her three dollars.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users