Manta Ray/Dual Splitfires Mod/Integration

24 replies to this topic

#1 baghead

baghead

Cheetos

• Members
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 09:37 PM

Over The past Few months my modding focus has been on something that I at first questioned was even possible, well, a few months later and lots of hard work, (and trying really hard to keep it under wraps untill geddon) I have a complete product for you: Say hello to the SickleFin Devil Ray, My newest and probably most complex Plastic Toy of Doom.

Posted Image

I'm Sure you're all thinking "What the fuck did you do to that manta ray Bags?!"

well the better question is what didn't I Do.

To start things off I'll explain the conceptwork

one day, while finishing up my last manta (the biling-blow camo one) I got this really cool Idea: What if I could take the defensive power of the manta ray, and give it the beastly power to shoot around 80 feet without loosing the number of barrels I shoot out of? I was thinking of sticking two splitfires inside a manta, and now I just had to figure out how to do it.

I knew I would have to bassicaly gut the entire shell of the manta, as well as flatten out the top to propperly compensate for the SFs, and also to help on proper coverage, I probably would need to use some kind of plastic to expand the edge to also help propperly cover the SFs. I knew I needed to extend the triggers so that they sat near where my hand would be, and I needed to fugure out how I'd place the SFs inside the shell.

I decided to place the SFs laying sideways inside the shell, and then I would attach them to the upper and lower halves o fthe shell accordingly and using their screws to primairly hold the whole creature together.

I quickly got to work on aquireing the propper materials and got to work.

The manta I aquired was once used for a double 2k Integration, so it was already partialy gutted for me, that was nice, but the upper shell was severely damaged. I decided to bust out the heat gun and go to town on it first, after it was nice and flat I got to work on epoxying it back together:

The Flattened Shell: I expanded the area where one's hand goes because I have beefy hands
Posted Image

After a ton of dremmeling I managed to clean out the shell enough to accomidate the splitfires: part of the SFs handle had to be cut off, I cut it right at the bottom of the opening for the trigger, Also I cut the guides off the held the pump shaft in the vertical position, so that it would sit without interfering with the triggers in final production. here's some pics of the first SF being placed into the shell, with a test version of the trigger extentions:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This one showes where both are attached to the bottom of the shell:
Posted Image

Now that I had figured out where they were going to go, I needed to figure out how to propperly extend the shell to accomidate the SFs and I wanted to do it with some style: so I started looking online for Relatives of the Manta Ray: I found the SickleFin Devil Ray, and it's name sounded soo damn Awesome I couldn't Resist:
Posted Image

So I designed something to attach to the shell to make it look more like one:

Here's the peices before they were cut:
Posted Image

...Stupid Image posting limit...

A couple of Pics of them attached: A suprisingly long process involvin waay too much epoxy:

Posted Image

Posted Image

I simply put a crapload of epoxy on to the halves of the SFs that were to make my top and laid the Upper manta half on top to attach it to the rest of the gun(s)

I went back to tackling the process of extending the triggers some; I had originaly wanted to make a complex pinion system that allowed the extentions to swing smoothly with the SF triggers, but it was too much work for too little gratification, so I simply glued on the extentions i had made:

Posted Image

Posted Image

so here's the really ugly working version of it:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now it was time for me to paint it:

uncharateristic of myself, i went with a Flat Black for the bottom of this blaster, and for the bulk of the top of the upper half, it has a flouressent Green-Blue fade on the top to accent it though, and the underside of the upper shell is also flouressent blue.

The finished product, or so i thought...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Before I even got to geddon, perliminary tests lead to me breaking the trigger extentions, luckly I had gutted the lower half so that I could still fire the gun with my opposite hand. During Geddon I discovered that my hands had taken some damage from the use of the gun, the area around the handle was cuttin my hands, so I opened it back up when I got home and added some hockey tape also.

Internals, after Tapeing:
Posted Image

...Images Limit...

More Pics:

underside:
Posted Image

A little closer so you can see trigger location:
Posted Image

Blaster Face on:
Posted Image

Operation is like having a 6-in brassed SF, pump approx 10 times, ramrod darts down into bottom of barrel, fire either semi-auto or shotgun bassed on trigger pull. SFs have 6 inches of 9/16 with small ammount of 17/32 nested inside, barrels are covered with petg to protect them. I used sicklefin in three rounds of geddon, and it proved worthy, I found it easier to aim if i swiched hands when fireing earch SF rather then shooting out of the top, and then the bottom.

I hope to have some action shots as soon as Kuhlschrank's Geddon Pics are uploaded.

Questions/Comments?

-Bags

Don't call it a comeback, I never left.

#2 Renegade

Renegade

• Members
  • 536 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 09:37 PM

I approve.

Edit/ Are you afraid of stabbing yourself on the pointy parts? Or do you use them for "barrel taps"? /Edit

Edited by Renegade, 19 July 2006 - 09:41 PM.

#3 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 09:45 PM

I was just about to start complaining that the boards have been lacking some awesome mods lately.
Then you go and do something like this! Amazing just amazing! This beast has Good range,Good ROF, a sexy/demonic sleek design a decent paintjob and a sexy underbelly paintjob. Looks great man keep em coming!
I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#4 pat 1st Lt

pat 1st Lt

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 09:55 PM

Very, very slick, man. I'm loving the name! I wish I could've gotten out to Armageddon. I hope I can make it down to Apoc later this year, too. I'd love to just meet you people, let alone see some of the craziest mods/paintjobs ever.

If you feel up to it, I think intergrating some AT2K turrets would really make that thing rock even harder.

Also, just a question, but do gun hits not count on the West Coast? Cause if gun hits don't count, why don't people just attach giant sheets of plastic to their guns? Or, is it like since the Manta Ray was advertised as a blocker, it's ok to use it to block? But, then, how is it treated now that the Sicklefin has extensions, and is bigger than it was originally?

Sorry if those were too many questions.

Well, keep churning out the awesome, Bags!

Sincereley,
Pat
QUOTE(euphemism) View Post
QUOTE(Pat) View Post

It gave the site a sort of 'homy' feeling.

Did you know that "m" can sometimes look like "rn" when read quickly?

#5 baghead

baghead

Cheetos

• Members
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 10:07 PM

Also, just a question, but do gun hits not count on the West Coast? Cause if gun hits don't count, why don't people just attach giant sheets of plastic to their guns? Or, is it like since the Manta Ray was advertised as a blocker, it's ok to use it to block? But, then, how is it treated now that the Sicklefin has extensions, and is bigger than it was originally?

Gun hits Count On all Guns Except the Manta ray, and I played three rounds at geddon without anyone complaining about the extentions. It's really not much bigger than before, and the back Sickle pieces don't effectly block things that would have hit me anyway because of location n' such, they stick farther back, and also, i did open up the region where my hand goes by alot. I was concerned about if it would be allowed or not, but I managed to justify the reasons were mostly for accomidation of the integration, and for overall finished look.

I approve.

Edit/ Are you afraid of stabbing yourself on the pointy parts? Or do you use them for "barrel taps"? /Edit

I rounded off the corners some as to not injure myself, and because of where they are, it's mostly for styling.

-bags

Edited by baghead, 19 July 2006 - 10:16 PM.

#6 SgtSniper

SgtSniper

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 07:58 AM

Awesome... I would not want to be on the recieving end of that baby.

#7 warx

warx

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 09:39 AM

Do you find the accuaracy to be troubling, or is better than you ever imagined? Seems like the 'gration includes a moderate 'learning curve', but once mastered it would prove deadlier than fatal injection.

*drinks to your honor, baghead
The perfect signature does not exsist.

#8 nerfer34

nerfer34

• Members
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 11:28 AM

Awesome job! That thing is worth ALOT of money...
- 2 SFs
-manta ray
-paint
- ALOT of work
<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God Damn it Groove, you stole my kill.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->-OMC

#9 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 12:06 PM

We did discuss whether the extensions disqualified it as a shield. The feeling most people had was that it wasn't a huge change in surface area and it was done well so we didn't mind. For my part, I tried to make sure bags was on my team.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#10 Falcon

Falcon

Velcro'd Beanpole

• Members
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 12:33 PM

And thus ends "project Y" for "Y the HECK not?"

Good job bags. When you first told me about it at NWC-1 I didn't think you were crazy...partially because I knew first hand that sticking 2k's into a Manta Shell had been a piece of cake, and because the SF's themselves are solid guns that simply require epoxy to be attached.

However, I wan't expecting it to require this much extra work and such to make a working model out of it.

Mad props. That thing looked sick at 'Geddon, and seemed to perform to its appearance. Ladies and gentlemen, this is one of those few cases when you DO judge a book by its cover.

Very sleek, and very stylin'. Thus Marty fulfills his purpose, and becomes a legend.

If you feel up to it, I think intergrating some AT2K turrets would really make that thing rock even harder.

He's definitely up to it. The question is, who the heck wants to deal with 16 barrels? It'd look really cool, having 2 SplitTech 2k's in a Manta Shell and all, but the usability of something like that is in serious question. A SplitTech alone as a primary is enough to worry about. I've found from personal experience that you find yourself firing the two barrels that are in the firing position, and then there's either no other opponents around, or you missed and got shot, so you're out. So you find yourself just reloading the two you just fired and leaving the turets where they are. Don't get me wrong, at Armageddon last Saturday I found myself on my third pair of barrels at least three times, but during the course of a war, 3 times compared to however many hundreds of shots were taken, is really not that often. So if you double the number of Turreted Splitfires I was carrying then you've eliminated the need (initially) to go to a second pair of barrels. So now you might find yourself on a second pair of barrels with ONE of them, but it still doesn't really give a need for such things. You'd NEVER find Bags on two "fourth pair" barrels, with all 12 others empty. It's just not necessary (and is substantial overkill).

Oh, not to mention the fact that his barrels are brass, so 16 brass barrels (even only being 3" long, like on my 2nd SplitTech, which are barely long enough to fit a dart down and provide a tiny bit of extra barrel length to stabilize the darts) would weigh the gun down so much the user would get fatigued fro just carrying the gun. Then you add to the weight on his hand from the gun itself the pressure when he's pumping (in the same direction as the weight of the gun, mind you) and his arm is going to be ready to fall off in no time.

Just an extra little tidbit...I don't think the upper barrels (closest to the shield part of the shell) have enough room to fit a turret on them anyway. You'd have to cut a chunk out of the shield that would go several inches back into the shell. It'd look kinda cool, but then part of your sheild that you're using to block darts is a wall of brass barrels. A shot that is blocked by the turret rather than the shell would have a high possibility of denting the brass. Unless he sleeved the brass in PETG, which would add to the weight even more, and now you've come full circle.

Edited by Falcon, 20 July 2006 - 12:54 PM.

----------||||||||)
QUOTE(Ilùvatar @ 0000) View Post
Of the theme that I have declared to you, I will now that ye make in harmony together a Great Music.

#11 elf avec gun

elf avec gun

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 08:30 PM

Amazing! It looks so sweet. I really want to go out and get a manta ray or make one and do somthing like this to it. Great job! :P
"It's hard to imagine a more specific subset of nerd than our community. One day we shall be studied by a single sociologist whom the other sociologists will mock incessantly." ~VACC

Got Nerd?

#12 Sponge Nerfer

Sponge Nerfer

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 01:12 PM

Very nice mod, I like how you took the Sicklefin Devil Ray (sexy name) and made your gun dezine based on how the ray looked. I know some people who do this kind of thing and integrate seven-guns into a single wepon but it all turns out to be a disgusting, impracticle mess. You did a very nice job about keeping it neet, clean, and useable in a real war. as far as at2k turrets go, I wouldnt do it, simply because it would be overkill you have enough firepower as it is, I wouldnt bother. Good job!

-sponge
When in doubt, make a huge nerf cannon of death.

#13 baghead

baghead

Cheetos

• Members
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 01:33 PM

Thank you falcon for another one of your most excellent long-winded explinations on why sicklefin, a most mighty harborer of doom already, has no need for 2k turrets, split-techs are nice and all, don't get me worng, but it would take a blaster that is pure sex and turn it into a "clusterfuck 9000" of sorts, which as sponge stated, would take away from all the work i put into stylizing this beast.

one of these days I'm going to geo back and re-do the top of the shell with some bondo to smooth it out and give it a new paint job, similar to the current one, but far more ornate, untill then it shall remain looking like the walls of a lazer tag arena.

-bags

PS: Thanks for the new sig CX!

Edited by baghead, 23 July 2006 - 01:48 PM.

#14 Falcon

Falcon

Velcro'd Beanpole

• Members
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 12:58 PM

Oh my god.

Bags, that name is brilliant.

"Clusterfuck 9000"

I'm making Ben a new gun. I'm going to go get ahold of a new big salvo, and put a 2k turret on all 4 barrels. Considering the Big Salvo's means of firing (and considering all Ben ever does is pull the trigger back ALL the way) the Big Salvo seems like the perfect gun for the job.
This seems to have become my specialty as of late; I'm just putting a fucking turret on everything. I even joked with Apollo once about putting a turret on each of the 4 spots on a turret (you can fire off four shots, rotating a turret each time, and then you rotate the base turret and fire four more)...

But that name..."Clusterfuck 9000"...brilliant. I nearly changed my sig upon seeing that...

Anywho, I hope you'll be around some time in September~ish for a Fall CAFF. My clan't been discussing dates but we haven't settled on one yet. I won't know my weekend schedule for September until I get down to PLNU.

Anywho, the gun's still awesome. I'd like to see it see some more action and whatnot in the near future.

Edited by Falcon, 25 July 2006 - 12:59 PM.

----------||||||||)
Of the theme that I have declared to you, I will now that ye make in harmony together a Great Music.

#15 baghead

baghead

Cheetos

• Members
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 01:47 PM

Oh my god.

Bags, that name is brilliant.

"Clusterfuck 9000"

I'm making Ben a new gun. I'm going to go get ahold of a new big salvo, and put a 2k turret on all 4 barrels. Considering the Big Salvo's means of firing (and considering all Ben ever does is pull the trigger back ALL the way) the Big Salvo seems like the perfect gun for the job.
This seems to have become my specialty as of late; I'm just putting a fucking turret on everything. I even joked with Apollo once about putting a turret on each of the 4 spots on a turret (you can fire off four shots, rotating a turret each time, and then you rotate the base turret and fire four more)...

But that name..."Clusterfuck 9000"...brilliant. I nearly changed my sig upon seeing that...

Anywho, I hope you'll be around some time in September~ish for a Fall CAFF. My clan't been discussing dates but we haven't settled on one yet. I won't know my weekend schedule for September until I get down to PLNU.

Anywho, the gun's still awesome. I'd like to see it see some more action and whatnot in the near future.

Groove gets credit for that one, someone wanted a name for their gun and one of the many potentials that came up was "Clusterfuck 9000" another was "chaffed Anus" or something...

The "Clusterfuck 9000."

-Groove

-bags

Edited by baghead, 25 July 2006 - 04:03 PM.

#16 Falcon

Falcon

Velcro'd Beanpole

• Members
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 01:49 PM

Chaffed anus, eh? I hope he's still not worried about local law enforcement...
----------||||||||)

#17 AODL

AODL

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 12:30 PM

Bags, that is fucking Rad! Great Job. May just have to steal it...

I don't really undestand why General Cole is making articles of clothing with my name on it. First it frightened me, but after a few hours I got over it. It seems obvious that General Cole is hoping to have sex with me.

#18 baghead

baghead

Cheetos

• Members
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 10:36 PM

I Know I'm Digging Up One of my Old threads with this, but It's relevant, so it's A-Ok.

I had to fix-up Sicklefin the other day and Because of that I did A New PJ on the Top of this Badboy:

It's Neon Pink And Green Under a Black crackle Finish, Gloss Coated.

Several Of the Pics were taken with a Blue LED flashlight as the only light source as to help highlight the Fluorescent colors. Note, Pics are kinda big, may take some time to load.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The Crackle Effect was achieved by Spraying An Ultra-Flatt Black Primer On top of the still wet Fluorescent Paint.

-bags

#19 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 12:05 AM

I have a strong feeling that if the Predator nerfed he would be weilding the sickelfin.
Or another gun with similar paint.

Very sexy paintjob, I am jealous of your painting skills.
I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#20 Paloose

Paloose

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 05:34 PM

It's Neon Pink And Green Under a Black crackle Finish, Gloss Coated.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The Crackle Effect was achieved by Spraying An Ultra-Flatt Black Primer On top of the still wet Fluorescent Paint.

-bags

The paint job reminds me of dried out leather, but only in the alien fashion.

#21 AODL

AODL

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 05:58 PM

Bags, you proved me wrong. I didn't think sicklefin could get any better. Very sexy paintjob. I gotta give you props for this.

I don't really undestand why General Cole is making articles of clothing with my name on it. First it frightened me, but after a few hours I got over it. It seems obvious that General Cole is hoping to have sex with me.

#22 Streamwave

Streamwave

• Banned
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 06:41 PM

Steve Irwin would hate it
~BlAcKWaVe~

YURA YURA to yuganda sore e kimi no moto e tonde yuke.

In these wavering skies, I will fly to you.

#23 JurassicPark

JurassicPark

• Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 07:00 PM

Steve Irwin would hate it

And we care what a dead guy thinks? I mean it looks good. Let Irwin R.I.P.
"Why can't we see shit? Thats not a good sign."

-My Dad

#24 PREDATOR

PREDATOR

• Members
  • 245 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 01:36 PM

Incredible! On a 1 out of 10 scale it gets 100.
QUOTE(Groove @ Apr 29 2007, 11:03 PM) View Post

Wise man always say, "Arguing on the internet is like winning the Special Olympics. Even if you win you're still retarded."
-Groove

#25 baghead

baghead

Cheetos

• Members
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 09:43 PM

Thanks for all the positive response guys, I dare say this is one of the coolest looking paintjobs I discovered on accident.

-bags

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users