• 1,059 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 09:12 AM

Awesome! How far does it shoot?

#3 NinjZ

NinjZ

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 10:38 AM

By the looks of the video, that thing has some power to it. Whats 3DBBQ's website with all his homemades on it?

#4 Falcon

Falcon

Velcro'd Beanpole

• Members
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 10:48 AM

Dude, that is SICK.

Great job. I am really tempted to go work on making something like that now...

What size batteries (and how many) are you using?
----------||||||||)
QUOTE(Ilùvatar @ 0000) View Post
Of the theme that I have declared to you, I will now that ye make in harmony together a Great Music.

#5 davidbowie

davidbowie

• Members
  • 422 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 11:02 AM

So...a dual-flywheel gun fed by another flywheel? Excellent. It looks like you power it with 1 9v battery. Is that really enough? I put together something like this once running off 3 9v's in series, but it was still pretty week. Of course, that was hand-fed, so it's possible I was holding back the darts.
Check out the all-new DBNerf. The source for all your DBNeeds.

#6 SgtSniper

SgtSniper

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 12:08 PM

Nice. I liked your use of an open mag, so it looks like you can either push the shells in the side.

#7 sam

sam

• Members
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 12:09 PM

Here is 3DBBQ's website:http Net Terminator , but it isn't working right now.

Edited by sam, 13 July 2006 - 12:10 PM.

#8 Carrtoon

Carrtoon

• Contributors
  • 289 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 01:55 PM

That's pretty neat. It reminds me a lot of the Tommy 20. It's as loud as hell! With the 30k motors and 3 AA batteries, it had some nice power. Not quite that much, but close. 3 9volts! Can you say motor meltdown?!!!
When beauty breaks the spell of pain
The bludgeoned heart shall burst in vain
But not when love be pointed king
And truth shall Thee forever reign

#9 baghead

baghead

Cheetos

• Members
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 02:07 PM

So the concept is prety much like a Really Big MECH Six, only better, and sexier...

Don't call it a comeback, I never left.

#10 elf avec gun

elf avec gun

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 02:17 PM

Good stuff! I was trying to do somthing like this useing these hotweels track parts that would spin and when the car would go through in would make it go really fast but it wasnt working. What did you use for the weels? Also is there a write up for this somewhere? But all n' all great job.
"It's hard to imagine a more specific subset of nerd than our community. One day we shall be studied by a single sociologist whom the other sociologists will mock incessantly." ~VACC

Got Nerd?

#11 Vicious-V

Vicious-V

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 04:10 PM

What motors are those? I only see two wheels..Where's the third?

#12 elf avec gun

elf avec gun

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 06:14 PM

The third weel is located beneath the magazine it is vertical and it pushes the dart forwards when a dart drops down. Does that help or am I just confusing you more?
"It's hard to imagine a more specific subset of nerd than our community. One day we shall be studied by a single sociologist whom the other sociologists will mock incessantly." ~VACC

Got Nerd?

#13 SKIZ

SKIZ

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 08:52 PM

Are the motors just the little hobby 12volts? Because it looks like the feeding motor is but i dont no about the other two? Are the motors geared? or is it just motor shaft straight to the fly wheel?

#14 blink 182

blink 182

• Members
  • 421 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 09:31 AM

It’s actually quite a simple concept, just simple in the eyes of 3DBBQ to me, is an exploding car full of clowns.

3 motors:

2 motors-controls the speed/distance of the dart. These 2 motors are in charge of giving the dart power. They spin at a relatively high speed (I would have to guess) and propel the dart. These 2 motors are located above the 2 northward shafts on the gun. They are white wheels

1 motor- is located underneath the vertical mag. This motor is in charge of giving the stack of darts (i.e. Mag) the necessary forward movement needed to propel the darts into the other 2 horizontal motors. Although hard to see the wheel (almost looks like a black wheel located dead-center underneath the dart stack, the motor is easy visible. (Blue and silver box with a lime green wire crossing over it.)

The entire gun looks to be ran by a single 9 volt battery (as par the battery box located by the handle) I can only see a black and red wire protruding from the handle and a semi-square battery attachment (chances are it’s a 9-volt) Although the batteries could easily be hidden throughout the hollow gun body.

From what I conclude, it looks to be that the 2 “power” wheels are ran off of the smaller southward button and the larger button controls the single mag wheel.

To fire simply hold the smaller red button to power up the “power” wheels and when ready to fire press/hold the larger mag button. This would then push the dart into the “power” wheels and giving the dart the power to propel.

Don’t quote me on ANY of this information as this is just my take on the gun.

Beautiful design and simple yet constructive idea. I tip my hat to you 3DBBQ
New Price On Freedom, Buy Into It While Supplies Last...

#15 Master Yogurt

Master Yogurt

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 09:55 AM

As far as I can tell, your assessment is 100% accurate. It's certainly plausible that there's another battery rigged somewhere, but I'm not sure if that's the case. I can't figure where it would be that would be easily accessible.

The black advancement motor is definitely a small hobby motor - I have a few like that myself. Since the others are hidden in that housing, I can't really tell what they are. I wonder if I could pull something similiar off using my Lego Mindstorms set... It's certainly worth a shot.

Also, the rigging is genius, taken right from the Motorized Ballzooka. One button to rev the motors, one to fire, and it doesn't have a switch, so that saves a LOT of battery power. I love this thing, though I'd improve upon the magazine. Seems like if you tilt your gun back a little all the darts will fall out. Great job, BBQ!

----
Quick update:
Lego Mindstorms motors, even with high gear ratios, are unable to propel the dart with any reasonable veloctiy. Considering that the analysis shows that my RCX is running 9.1 volts, I have some trouble believing that his uses only one 9volt battery. Still, I can't discount that entirely, but it seems rather unlikely.

Edited by Master Yogurt, 15 July 2006 - 10:22 PM.

Come to PANO!

You'll take my life but I'll take yours too
You'll fire your musket but I'll run you through
So when you're waiting for the next attack
You'd better stand there's no turning back. The Trooper

#16 davidbowie

davidbowie

• Members
  • 422 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 10:39 PM

Hobby motors, even if they're hooked up to a single 9v battery, can put out quite a bit more kick than any mindstorms motor i've seen.
Check out the all-new DBNerf. The source for all your DBNeeds.

#17 vanpaun

vanpaun

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 09:55 AM

dude.............do a writeup on that monster. definately awesome
QUOTE("One Man Clan@Oct 11 2007 @ 07:40 PM)

...And people wonder why the Front Page at NH is all posts from admins about dumb fucking members...

#18 six-five-two

six-five-two

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 12:48 PM

Master Yogurt, I tried that aswell, except with the train set regulator linking to a gear motor with a big gear linking to a smaller gear. I did the same to the other side. The ranges were spectacular, less that 1 foot.

#19 Master Yogurt

Master Yogurt

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 05:05 PM

Yeah. The new Mindstorms set may have enough power to do it, but it's not out yet and is quite expensive. Still, each motor is an individual servo that can turn in precise degree calculations. THAT's a step up, I must say. I'll need to stop by Radio Shack sometime, since I've either used or lost all of my hobby motors.
Come to PANO!

You'll take my life but I'll take yours too
You'll fire your musket but I'll run you through
So when you're waiting for the next attack
You'd better stand there's no turning back. The Trooper

#20 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 780 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 10:12 AM

It looks like a good gun, but only for close combat. It seems unweildly for longer range, as there is little to control the accuracy of the gun, being no barrel. Although, excellent rate of fire for close ranges, I assume.
QUOTE(VACC @ Jan 24 2008, 06:12 AM) View Post
I am NEVER going to sleep naked in the bed of a former child star ever again....seriously

#21 ChrisP

ChrisP

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 06:34 PM

The advancing motor is a 130 size motor. The others look like 280 or 300 size motors, but I can't tell because they are hidden in the PVC. I know because I used to race R/C cars a lot (and still tinker with them). To get those speeds, I would definitely think he is using more than one 9v battery.

Regardless, that's a pretty neat concept. I just might have to try it. I have plenty of motors and extra PVC laying around. :)

Edit: Here's what I'm talking about with the motors.

http://www.hobbyengi....com/H2242.html

http://www.hobby-lob...om/speed300.htm

Edited by ChrisP, 18 July 2006 - 06:37 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users