Metalic Camo? Full mod is Done!!!

28 replies to this topic

#1 baghead

baghead

Cheetos

• Members
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 09:23 PM

Hey y'all, Bags hizzle. Here's my New Manta Ray that I've been Working on, well... part of it.

Posted Image

This paintjob really isn't as complex as it looks, I took advantage of the fact that X-metals paints are translucent in order to get a 4-level look from 3 coats of paint.

The gun is going to have a 2K mounted into one half of it and the other half has the standard Manta Ray stuff only I have two springs. I'll have pics of that up in a couple of days hopefully.

Enjoy!

The Pics of the mod are on the second page of this thread

-bags

Edited by baghead, 21 April 2006 - 10:00 PM.

Don't call it a comeback, I never left.

#2 sam

sam

• Members
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 09:36 PM

With this and the un-electric non-eel you'll have a sweet zoo of nerf guns. I really like the paint job; I’ll have to try something similar. Man I wish I had a manta ray. eBay here I come.

Edited by sam, 09 April 2006 - 09:37 PM.

#3 Ryan201821

Ryan201821

Prince Edward

• Contributors
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 09:58 PM

Good luck finding a Manta Ray on ebay sam....
Anyway, I am very curious on how you went about getting those random shapes? Good Job, I love your paint jobs bags

#4 Rambo

Rambo

Fear the Robble...

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 10:05 PM

Wait, that's paint? I thought it was a decal of some sort.

#5 baghead

baghead

Cheetos

• Members
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 10:10 PM

This is prety much what i did:

I painted the silver x-metals basecoat

took my X-acto Cutting Mat and covered the entire thing in Masking tape

then just started to cut out a bunch of random shapes out of the masking tape.

layed down about half of the shapes, most of the big ones first.

Sprayed down the x-metals Blue coat.

Removed the masking and Layed down the next set, while re-using some of the original ones. Making sure to have both silver and Blue parts exposed as well as covered.

Then I sprayed on the X-metals Purple coat.

The purple color produced unique effects over the Blue in comparrison to the Silver, giving the 4-layer look.

and BAM! one sparkly Camo job.

-bags

Edited by baghead, 09 April 2006 - 10:33 PM.

#6 Black Wrath

Black Wrath

• Members
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 10:19 PM

Looks hot and professional.

It's a little fruity in some senses, but I like how the lines are crisp and flowing. The paint makes a cool effect, as you said.
Xx_Black-Wrath_xX of The Canadian Foam Militia

Not in the game anymore, but it was great while it lasted. Thanks for the great years of fun, NH!
--
Resident "Spawn of Talio"

#7 baghead

baghead

Cheetos

• Members
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 10:22 PM

Looks hot and professional.

It's a little fruity in some senses, but I like how the lines are crisp and flowing. The paint makes a cool effect, as you said.

I try my best to make my paintjobs look persessional, but even I was suprised with the outcome with this one.

I don't EVER want my nerf guns to be confused with things that are real and/or dangerous, therefore I go for the Fruty Factor. From a paint perspective, I wanted something that added depth to the Blue/Silver that wouldn't contrast too much. The Purple does that quite nicely.

-bags

#8 ItalionStallion

ItalionStallion

• Members
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 10:26 PM

Wow that looks fucking amazing.

Awesome job dude.

#9 Pineapple

Pineapple

Old-school Admin

• Contributors
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 11:42 PM

Dang....

That's purdy. This takes painting blasters to a new level.

The nice thing is, that I KNOW you still will take that puppy into full battle, not keep it in some glass case or something.

I'm in total agreement with you on colors...too many want to make their Nerf guns look like dart-shooting Airsoft guns, only thinking about "realism". I like the fruit factor. And the fake anno that X-Metals and Metalcast create...even better.

That layered look...it seems to hypnotize me to

*buy more Metalcast, buy more Metalcast*:blink:

Seriously, beautiful. You kicked it up a notch.

-Piney-
-Piney- of White Dog Hobbies Armory

<!--quoteo(post=209846:date=Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM:name=boom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boom @ Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
It's to bad you live in hawaii I bet there are not many wars there.Wait what am I saying<b> you live in hawaii you lucky bastard.</b>
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#10 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 12:54 AM

Looks great in the limp wristed sort of way.

It looks like you put some work into this one and for that I salute you.

I for one dont like it when people try to make their guns look like real guns,
Lets face it though if you spray painted this one black then it would not look like a real gun anyways because its in the shape of a freaking manta ray.

However the psychological effects of these colors will help you in battle in the sense that bright colours attract attention. What I am trying to say is that if someone were to shoot at you and you went to shield yourself the shooter would be inadvertantly aiming at your shield and not you.

Manta ray defence goes up +4 due to shininess and bright colors.

Edited by Forsaken_angel24, 10 April 2006 - 12:55 AM.

I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#11 Black Wrath

Black Wrath

• Members
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 06:52 AM

I never said I didn't like the fruit-factor, I'm just saying that it's the first blaster that I've seen painted this way in quite some time.

I personally don't like realistic painting either, but my guns are black and silver and orange just because I like that contrast. I'm thinking of overhauling my paintjobs though; they're shitting out.
Xx_Black-Wrath_xX of The Canadian Foam Militia

Not in the game anymore, but it was great while it lasted. Thanks for the great years of fun, NH!
--
Resident "Spawn of Talio"

#12 Falcon

Falcon

Velcro'd Beanpole

• Members
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 07:58 PM

You guys need to stop complaining about how "fruity" his guns look.

Because first of all, they look better than yours.

Secondly, have you thought about his clan's name in conjunction with his guns?

Nerfing Alliance of Radical Foam

Have you heard someone use "Radical" recently? I didn't think so. And people don't use colors like that much either these days. Here's why:

Radical is a more "retro"-era word. The "fruity" colors as you call them, were widely used during this age. Think rediculously colored Volkswagon Busses with giant Austin Powers-style flowers & things on the sides...

Yay for hippies (thinks of Matt Kashuba, and laughs histerically for a moment...)

See? It all makes sense now...

So stop painting your crossbows flat black, and do something rediculous. Step our of your little "I don't wanna be made fun of" box, and PAINT A RAZORBEAST PINK!

...or something.

*end of rant; this is directed not at any specific person; this is for the general public. Please take no offense.*

Edited by Falcon, 10 April 2006 - 08:00 PM.

----------||||||||)
QUOTE(Ilùvatar @ 0000) View Post
Of the theme that I have declared to you, I will now that ye make in harmony together a Great Music.

#13 baghead

baghead

Cheetos

• Members
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 08:11 PM

...have you thought about his clan's name in conjunction with his guns?

Nerfing Alliance of Radical Foam

Have you heard someone use "Radical" recently?  I didn't think so.  And people don't use colors like that much either these days.  Here's why:

Radical is a more "retro"-era word.  The "fruity" colors as you call them, were widely used during this age.  Think rediculously colored Volkswagon Busses with giant Austin Powers-style flowers & things on the sides...

Honestly Falcon buddy, Radical is more of a 90s Retro feel, just like this version of the NARF! logo
Posted Image

Notice it's extreemly bright Early 90s style colors...

we're Nostalgia nerfers mostly, Guys who grew up in Nerf's hayday and had wars on our streets back when we were like 10. therefore we want our guns to still look like they did then, Biright and Ridiculous.

Radical!
-bags

Edited by baghead, 10 April 2006 - 08:11 PM.

#14 Sage

Sage

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 08:13 PM

Bags, it's reasons like this that you've gotta paint the ST-2k! I mean, come now, this is the best manta paint job I've seen, even if the colors aren't normal, and therefore it's awesome!
Holder of the original Split-Tech 2k

"Headband" - as so named by OMC
"That One Guy in the Pineapple Shirt" -So aptly named by Baghead

#15 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 09:16 PM

Radical!
-bags

So can we start calling you Milhouse instead of Baghead?
I know its bad,
After what we had,

#16 baghead

baghead

Cheetos

• Members
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 11:01 PM

Radical!
-bags

So can we start calling you Milhouse instead of Baghead?

Ah... Lemon Of Troy Refrences.... fun stuff.

-bags

#17 Carrtoon

Carrtoon

• Contributors
  • 289 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 10:38 AM

Wow. That looks professional! I could have sworn those were decals, it's that good! I think you should try for a black gun with either purple or green lightning. As far as I know it hasn't been done, and after seeing your work, I bet you could do a stellar job!
When beauty breaks the spell of pain
The bludgeoned heart shall burst in vain
But not when love be pointed king
And truth shall Thee forever reign

#18 nerfgunner

nerfgunner

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 12:30 PM

That paint job is awsome! Also I thought it was illegal to paint your guns entirlely (sp?) black.

#19 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 12:46 PM

I thought it was illegal to paint your guns entirlely (sp?) black.

Only in majority of assassin games is it considered illegal. I don't think any state or province would consider it illegal to paint a toy gun black.
I know its bad,
After what we had,

#20 Pineapple

Pineapple

Old-school Admin

• Contributors
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 01:52 PM

Very likely not illegal to paint a toy gun all black.

Probably not the wisest thing to do, either.

In this I'm referring to the never ending desire for the young ones to make their Nerf guns look "like a real gun". It's already tough enough with Airsoft weapons looking so dangerously real (we've had stories like this one where there are too many conflicts regarding authentic-looking weapons in public and semi-private places)...who needs more with our toy dart guns?

I'd rather have a SM 5000 painted like Bag's Manta anyday. A toy gun that belies it's true character. More socially acceptable in the public eye, yet packin' the punch that makes modified Nerfing more fun.

Just my opinion. I'm going to give that layered look a try, Bags. *cross fingers*

-Piney-
-Piney- of White Dog Hobbies Armory

<!--quoteo(post=209846:date=Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM:name=boom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boom @ Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
It's to bad you live in hawaii I bet there are not many wars there.Wait what am I saying<b> you live in hawaii you lucky bastard.</b>
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#21 Drano

Drano

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 07:14 PM

damn thats a good paint job.

You do good work.
The flamed 2k you put up last year is still stuck in my head.

and while were on the subject, before any body else calls that manta fruity, do a search for that 2K

Edited by Drano, 11 April 2006 - 07:17 PM.

#22 AssassinNF

AssassinNF

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 07:27 PM

Amazing paint job. The layered look is great, very professional.

I don't think it's fruity, it's more like Hippy-Camo :D

Painting Airsoft guns is actual illegal, and I think it can get you jail time, but painting a Nerf gun isn't. (Just not a good idea, like Piney said)

Probably dead by now, or something.

#23 DTReaper

DTReaper

• Members
  • 309 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 07:33 PM

Dude, that thing is bitching. To say the least.

-DTR
QUOTE(VACC @ Dec 5 2008, 12:09 AM) View Post

That's it. I'm done. I'm sorry there are breasts on the Internet.

#24 Falcon

Falcon

Velcro'd Beanpole

• Members
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 07:54 PM

[quote name='baghead' date=' Apr 10 2006, 05:11 PM'] [quote name='Falcon' date='Apr 10 2006, 04:58 PM']
Honestly Falcon buddy, Radical is more of a 90s Retro feel, just like this version of the NARF! logo
Posted Image

Notice it's extreemly bright Early 90s style colors...

Radical!
-bags [/QUOTE]
You can't blame me, though.

I was growing up at that point in time; what was popular and what wasn't popular weren't at the forefront of my mind (still aren't, actually...*tee hee*) All I cared about when "radical" was in was Being a Power Ranger when I grew up.

Don't laugh. If you just laughed at me, you're the biggest hypocrite alive, because EVERYBODY and their MOTHER wanted to be a Power Ranger when I was in Preschool...

I kinda still want to, too...

*sigh*

But enough about me...

Still, you can't blame me. That kinda stuff (the big oddly-colored flowery junk ( IS in the Austin Powers moveis...

Actually, now that I think about it, this really coincides quite well with what you said...

The big bubbly text and such was the style of one of the original Nerf Logos, back when Kenner owned it.

Nerf is written in Bubbly text on the handles of my Blast-a-Matics...

Okay, so it was 90's era. But still...

The concept is there. You all get the idea.

My next questions are, will the gun be
a) done by YANO
:D used at YANO
?

Eh?

Regardless, though, if you don't bring at least the empty shell of that thing with you, so help me...!!!

hey, I showed you the SplitTech...bringing an empty Manta Shell (regardless of it's paint Scheme) shouldn't be that big a chore, should it?

Edited by Falcon, 11 April 2006 - 07:56 PM.

----------||||||||)
QUOTE(Ilùvatar @ 0000) View Post
Of the theme that I have declared to you, I will now that ye make in harmony together a Great Music.

#25 Anothernoob

Anothernoob

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 11:20 PM

Dude, I wanted to be Sonic the Hedgehog not a power ranger, heheh.

But, on topic, very nice painting. I tried to paint my modded EaB "ghettoflage" colors one time. You know, "urban" camo; gray, white, black...

It ended up looking like a milk cow. So, I give props to people who can paint a Nerf gun and make it look good.

Oh, about the painting the guns black thing. Not so long ago at a Florida school (I think) a kid was shot and killed by a cop IN SCHOOL because the kid had a real-looking airsoft gun. With all seriousness, we don't want something like that happening to one of our NIC citizens or anyone for that matter. So yea, flamboyant colors are the safe route, for Nerf guns at least.

Though with the Manta Ray, I think you could paint it black. It's just not really shaped like a weapon... it's more like a, uh, manta ray.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users