Clip Mod For Brass Breech

works well for me...

2 replies to this topic

#1 ambushbug

ambushbug

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 06:56 PM

I've been struggling with a satisfactory clip system for my version of the Bacon Bow. My original clip was gravity-fed but I wanted something spring-fed as I figure, the jiggling around of running/ducking/jumping would cause some complications for a gravity-fed clip (especially when half-empty).

I followed the basics of Ompa's clip mod but I also wanted to remedy the whole issue of having to keep a head count of darts to prevent the spring/dart advancing mechanism from getting accidentally chambered. Furthermore, the whole point of a clip-system for me was to have one that I could easily change/reload even on the run. That means having a mechanism that limits the advance of darts so the darts don't pop out by themselves.

Well, here's my attempt:

my darts are about 1.5" long so the cassette case option wasn't gonna do it for me. I found some of these boxes that hold photo slides (think vacation slides before PowerPoint was invented) in my office desk. You have to dremel/cut out a divider in it. Then cut out one (short) wall and glue the lid closed.
(this one's already been messed with)
Posted Image

then I made a spring out of two old air-restrictors (SM3K - I think), some craft foam (black) and a piece of CPVC for the barrel advancing (platform-like) thing
Posted Image

Here's a cross-section of that advancing thingy (hotglue was used to attach the spring to it):
Posted Image

Then I constructed my "dart-limiting" mechanism. I took some 5/8" PETG (I'm actually not sure if this is really PETG, its the stuff for home aquarium use - to extend suction tubes; its got a little bit of flex). I cut out a small section on the side destined to be the top (in RED marker) - keep this piece for later (for making the 'guide' -see below. This has to be narrower than the diameter of the darts so darts don't pop through it. Then I cout out a bit from the other side destined to be the bottom (in BLUE marker). The cut out has to be large enough to allow darts through, while still leaving enough to glue to the rectangular clip "box".
Posted Image

I found these 1/2" straps for piping at the hardware store:
Posted Image

Then I glued both the "limiter" and a strap to the box. It might be easier if you also install the spring beforehand - but it didn't matter for me.
Posted Image

#2 GeneralPrimevil

GeneralPrimevil

• Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 07:09 PM

I like the idea of using air restrictor springs. I have a good number of those lying around...

Overall, nice job. Good concepts all around. I can't wait to hear of the long-term reliability.

Oh yeah, the "advancing thing" is called a follower for future reference.
"Fear the man with one gun, for he probably knows how to use it."

#3 ambushbug

ambushbug

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 07:19 PM

EDIT: crap - I should have told you there was more coming. "Follower" huh? Thanks, I'll remember that.

then I added the "guide" that allows the clip to slide intor the proper position- just the scrap PETG:
Posted Image

Again, this was for my BBBB so.... the actual guide - I glued it to the brass/orange barrel stub junction. Its lined up diametrically opposite from where the breech opening is:
Posted Image

and some re-inforcement:
Posted Image

As you can see, the darts stay put until you install the clip:
Posted Image

The clip is loaded in front of the breech (upper pic) - the PETG flexes enough to allow it to be pressed into place. The black "strap" clips on easily (it fits looser than the PETG but it still offers the right support). Then I slide the clip back over the breech (lower pic). The guide makes sure its in the right spot.
Posted Image

Here's the final product (loaded up):
Posted Image

Of course, the exact details of this setup are specific to this particular blaster but the idea behind it could be adapted to most breech systems. A plus with the CPVC advancing thing is that it is just the right diameter to fit in the breech (meaning it is pushing darts up until the very end) but not to allow the breech to clse over it. It effectively prevents me from re-cocking when I'm out of ammo - so the blaster tells me when I'm out. Another bonus, is that because I didn't glue the original barrel stub to the gun casing, it can still rotate around. Of course, being spring-fed, it works in any position. Also means that if my clip(s) are empty, I just pull off the clip, rotate the breech facing upwards and I can still access the breech for loading single darts manually (whcih I couldn't do with my old clip).

I still hate the spring that's in there but I'll get around to replacing it. Otherwise, though the clip works reasonably well.

Wel, not the Grand Unified Theory of Everything but I hope its useful to someone else.

Edited by ambushbug, 07 April 2006 - 07:20 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users