Bacon Big Bad Bow

Well, kind of

6 replies to this topic

#1 Lukeinator

Lukeinator

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 11:36 PM

Due to Pissbacon's request, I'm posting pictures of my attempt to do his 4B mod which can be found here.

This is just Pissbacon's original idea, with a few modifications. And I'll warn you, it looks like shit when compared to the original. The breech action is essentially the same (with the coathanger idea), except reversed. Instead of the normal breech where a smaller piece of PVC/brass is inside a larger piece, I have a piece of 1/2" copper (it seems a bit bigger than half inch, even though that's what it says on the copper, the actual ID is 10/16") overtop of a nine inch barrel of 9/16" PETG (fits my darts kind of tight). The copper fit right over the PETG. Although I was sceptical of this at first thinking that the breech in the actual barrel would cause too much friction, I am getting 75' flat consistently with deadly accuracy using 1.5" stefans with size 3/0 lead splitshots for weights. And without further a due, the pictures (ignore the books underneath, they were just used to prop up the gun):

Posted Image

This is the top view of my BBB. Notice the fag stickers. Shut up, I like my fag stickers. And yes, I know the barrel is angled down, but when I shoot, it seems to jump up so the dart flies straight.

Posted Image

This a top view of the breech and clip. Here you can see the breech in the actual barrel. The clip is at an angle to prevent it from interfering with the movement of the copper cover. There is also a nice piece of a Coca-Cola box to prevent the darts from falling out.

Posted Image

This is just another angle of the breech and clip. What really adds to it is the piece of a Trident gum box used in the construction of the clip.

Posted Image

This is just a shot of the breech closed and all that hot glue that really made a mess of things, but hey, function over fashion.

Posted Image

Another picture of the closed breech, just from another angle.

That's all I have for now, and like I said, it looks like shit, but works pretty damn fine. I can't forget this: mad props to Pissbacon for such an original mod, it's what made me want to get a BBB.
Ride it like it's stolen.

#2 Hamsterdam

Hamsterdam

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 12:16 PM

Ha Ha you chew trident! Nice mod though, I might get a BBB and do the same thing. Except make it look better. A-loooooooot better.
Rockin' the sick upp'd ION. Posting that in the only place I won't get flamed for it.

#3 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 12:34 PM

Well, when you make one that actually works, THEN you can come out and say it looks better.

I'm interested in exactly how you have the motion of the back handle translate into the bolt moving, as the handle definately has to move more than the bolt does.

~ompa

#4 Lukeinator

Lukeinator

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 08:56 PM

Well, when you make one that actually works, THEN you can come out and say it looks better.

I'm interested in exactly how you have the motion of the back handle translate into the bolt moving, as the handle definately has to move more than the bolt does.

~ompa

The first thing I had to do was connect the copper wire (coat hanger) from the sliding handle to the copper sheath. This involved lots of dremeling ang epoxying, but I did get it to work eventually. To answer your question Ompa, you can see in the second picture that the copper is quite a ways farther ahead of the breech than it needs to be. This is to accomodate the for the full sliding range of the cocking handle, about 3 5/16". I know it seems like more, but that is really all it is.

I hope that made sense.

#5 PissBacon

PissBacon

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 01:52 AM

I like the adaptation; it's much less complex since you don't have to cut the brass halfway through carefully without bending it (brass pipe is so thin and weak I couldn't use a vice). Sure the glue's a little messy but I'm sure it performs great, suggested by your ranges. I'm suprised it does so well considering how the breech is set up and would be expected to treat a dart.

#6 Lukeinator

Lukeinator

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 08:40 PM

I was quite surprised by the ranges too. Once I have time, I'll get around to cleaning it up and mabye painting it, but for now, I'm just happy that it works.

#7 Nerfster12345

Nerfster12345

• Banned
  • 83 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 09:03 PM

Great work.I would heve to say that you paint and clean it up a bit by making a something to cover up the wires and everything in that area.
Classic military phrases:

"Retreating?! Heck no, we're just advancing in other direction!"

"Are there any experienced suicide bombers?"

"Any ship can be a minesweeper... once."

"Don't run, you'll only die tired."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users