Maverick Seal Improvement

Turret to plunger shaft

17 replies to this topic

#1 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 02:12 AM

Ok I tried explaining this before but never did a write up on it. It seems there are alot of new-commers to the site and alot of them are all about the Maverick. This mod helps increase the air seal between the Yellow turret and the orange plunger shaft.

Here is a pic of where most people have the problem:
Posted Image

If you look at your gun from the side, you will notice there is a good space between the plunger shaft and the turret. This can be aided by taking a spring that fell out with the air restrictors and placing it here:
Posted Image

Do not use two springs because it will be too much and the turret will not be able to flop out at all.

Remember that this spring goes on the side that doesnt have a spring already. The same side where the darts fly out of. I found that this greatly reduces the gap and helps keeping the turret as close as possible at all times. I hope this helped some of you.
I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#2 obetheduck

obetheduck

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 02:38 PM

I did something similary. I put in a plastic spacer instead of a spring. It helped a little. I had to be careful to not make the spacing so tight the barrel would not turn.

I am still considering trying a straw mod as well but haven't go around to it yet.

Edited by obetheduck, 26 January 2006 - 02:38 PM.

#3 SpectreX

SpectreX

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 06:37 PM

I had some leftover springs from taking the restrictors out of my Firefly. I put one in each of my mavericks and they work very nicely. Thanks for the good idea.

#4 headwound

headwound

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 11:18 AM

You should try to figure out a way to get an o ring in there. I put an O-ring between the cylinder and air tube of my firelfy and it help out alot. though I think this is a good step.

#5 Peter

Peter

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 02:35 PM

this is exactly what I did, I just haven't posted it yet :)

great minds think alike
igitur qui desiderat pacem praeparet bellum

#6 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 05:02 PM

An O-ring would work great if you kept it lubed. Although an exposed O-ring would collect dust,dirt,sand and would need frequent cleaning.
I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#7 KirbySaysHi

KirbySaysHi

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 07:55 PM

Not to mention, an o-ring might make a great seal, but also greatly impede the turret.

Added to the directory...

Copy!

Edited by KirbySaysHi, 27 January 2006 - 07:55 PM.

Kids in the backseat cause accidents... Accidents in the backseat cause kids.

#8 DTReaper

DTReaper

• Members
  • 309 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 12:01 PM

I put some RTV silicon on the plunger and the turret wouldnt turn so I took some off and it worked better. But the silicon keeps wearing off. Just an idea.

-DTR
QUOTE(VACC @ Dec 5 2008, 12:09 AM) View Post

That's it. I'm done. I'm sorry there are breasts on the Internet.

#9 Sqiggs89

Sqiggs89

• Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 12:03 PM

Crap. My Mav just broke. I would've loved to try this out for myself.

Nice one!
Been a while.
#bro

#10 Nerf Hunter 2K6

Nerf Hunter 2K6

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 08:54 AM

I have just completed your mod and it works very well. I find that the spring under that orange thing in the plunger works better though. thank you for your wisdom.
Obviously the most effective method would be a nuclear explosion propelling the dart. All you need is some uranium or plutonium, which is easily accessible.

GET YUR URANIUM HERE!!!!

#11 Cogsprocket

Cogsprocket

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 09:49 AM

I did this same mod a bit differently. I added a spacer made of electrical tape doubled over itself (sticky side in, of course) and applied it to the front portion of the revolver assembly. I may have mentioned it elsewhere but putting something behind that final cuff on the plunger to force it forward also improves this seal. A bit of vegetable oil to the plunger mouth and the rear portion of the revolver assembly and the seal seems to work pretty well.

Don't know if that improves this mod any or not.

#12 pat 1st Lt

pat 1st Lt

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 02:38 PM

I did this about 30 minutes after initial firing and subsequent opening of my Maverick.

My local hardware store has a disugtingly large selection of O-Rings, and I bought some very, very thin O-Rings. They fit perfectly; the turret rotates, and the seal is excellent.

Yes, they get dusty, and have to be lubed frequently, and occasionally replaced, but I found it to be a worthwhile investment.

I did this to my Nite-Mav, and it coaxed 12 more feet out of it.

Until I read this, I didn't realize that everyone didn't try this.
QUOTE(euphemism) View Post
QUOTE(Pat) View Post

It gave the site a sort of 'homy' feeling.

Did you know that "m" can sometimes look like "rn" when read quickly?

#13 Spartan064

Spartan064

• Banned
  • 44 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 11:26 AM

Crap. My Mav just broke. I would've loved to try this out for myself.

Nice one!

My mom just smashed my mav in a fit of rage... managed to salvage plunger and spring and part of trigger mechanism. guess ill make a homemade with spares and buy a new mav. ^_^
"Giggity!" - Quagmire

#14 Black Wrath

Black Wrath

• Members
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 11:36 AM

My mom just smashed my mav in a fit of rage... managed to salvage plunger and spring and part of trigger mechanism. guess ill make a homemade with spares and buy a new mav. ^_^

What the fuck is wrong with you? I'm not even going to look at your other posts, because so far all you've done is bring back 2 month old topics with nothing to add but a fucking retarded emoticon and a fuckpiece jumble of words.

Stop posting and learn how to behave around here. I truely hope Talio sees what you've been doing.
Xx_Black-Wrath_xX of The Canadian Foam Militia

Not in the game anymore, but it was great while it lasted. Thanks for the great years of fun, NH!
--
Resident "Spawn of Talio"

#15 Anima

Anima

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 05:55 PM

I vaguely remembered this mod when I had a few Mavericks open the other night, so I decided to give it a try.

I didn't want to use the air restrictor spring, however. I didn't think it had enough oomph to make a difference. So I tried a leftover spring that normally nests inside the Mav's eject button.

It was too long, and prevented the cylinder from rolling out. So I flipped over the gray bracket from the front of the cylinder,

Posted Image

And found that there was no way the spring could seat inside the bracket at all, thanks to four cross-pieces put there for support, I suppose. Meh, who needs those? I painstakingly chopped out those little plastic supports, leaving just a round peg there, (the outside of the 'well' the metal rod sinks down and through. The button-spring was barely large enough to slide down around that peg, and it still wasn't quite enough to reduce the spring's length enough to allow the cylinder to eject. So I trimmed off about a sixth of the spring with some wirecutters.

Put it all back together, and it worked nicely. Unfortunately, I noticed no change in ranges whatsoever. It still gets air-restrictor-removed ranges.

I think this mod could possibly contribute to better performance when combined with other changes (like that o-ring) but on its own, the difference is negligible.
On the web, your language skills are your appearance and odor. Don't be a smelly elephant man.

#16 Mackenzie

Mackenzie

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 04:26 PM

Thank you, Forsaken_angel24 for the brilliant idea of using the springs from the air restrictors, without your idea, my gun was only shooting about 20 feet.

Current weapons:

Rapid fire 20 STOCK (Soon to be modded!)
SIDE ARM: Nite Finder (FULLY MODDED)

Team:

Mackenzie (Automatic Rifleman [Team leader])
Charlie (Grenadier)
Nicole (Marksman)
Brandon (Antitank)

#17 n-strike

n-strike

• Banned
  • 358 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 04:42 PM

This topic is over four months old. Please don't bring back dead topics, again, again.
kthxbaisend

#18 Uterly

Uterly

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 05:23 PM

Check this out mackenzie

Edited by Uterly, 20 July 2007 - 05:24 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users