Silencer Report

Renegade's guide to homemade silencers!

25 replies to this topic

#1 Renegade

Renegade

• Members
  • 536 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 08:30 PM

What is the best way to silence air output from a Nerf/ Homemade air gun?

Silencer Materials

1 ¼ inch PVC Pipe— 10 inches each
½ inch PVC Pipe— 11 inched each
½ inch Foam Pipe Insulator 3 inches each
½ PVC Coupler --4 –1 each

Procedure

We cut the PVC into four equal sections with a hacksaw. We took the half-inch PVC segments and used a dremel to cut different patterns in the PVC for the air to escape through the silencer. Then, we cut up half-inch foam insulator into 1 inch segments to be placed on the PVC later. At the end of each PVC segment, there was a half-inch PVC coupler that would attach to the homemade air gun.
On silencer number one, the pattern of air holes was four straight lines of holes. This is where the air that propels the dart will flow through into the chamber. This will silence the noise by causing the air to come out slowly after the dart is shot. On silencer number two, the pattern of air holes were different from number one. Number two’s air hole pattern is drilled holes spiraling up the pipe. Number three’s pattern was a crevice that spiraled up the barrel. Number four’s pattern is four straight lines drilled out by a dremel. For all the silencers, we placed the half inch foam on the ends of the half inch PVC, and then slid the 1 and ¼ PVC over that. The silencers were then ready to be put on the air gun.
To test the silencer, one of us would shoot the air gun, and another would stand about 30-40 feet away, and face the opposite direction. Once it was shot, the person would say if they heard it. After they were all over, the person would write down which one was the loudest to them. This was tested over 4 people who were not involved in making the silencers.

Observations

We saw that this project was going to take a variety of supplies to complete. The PVC, which was used for the silencer, would have to have many holes in order to quiet the shot. We saw that in order to trap the air, we would have to use foam insulator within the silencer. To test multiple silencers, we would have to make them interchangeable, so we put half in PVC couplers on the end of each silencer. Silencer number ones pattern of holes was just four simple straight lines of holes. Silencer number two was a little more complex, with spiraling wholes going up the barrel. We noticed that number three didn’t use holes at all, but used a crevice that spiraled up through the barrel. Three was basically a rifled PVC barrel. We saw that number four also used a crevice, but it was just four straight crevices that went up the barrel. The test for the silencers was rather simple. One person would fire the air gun, and someone else would stand 25-30 feet away, turn, and would listen to each shot being fired with different silencers every time. We noticed that the silencers really did make a difference, and that silencer number two seemed to work the most efficient, and was coted to have silenced the air output the greatest by all of the observer's/test subjects.

Conclusion

This project was meant to test if there was a simple way to silence air output. We made simple homemade PVC silencers that had a great effect. It was tested by using regular people who weren’t involved in making the silencers, to judge which shot was the loudest. There is in fact an easy way to silence air output by an air gun. We have discovered that having a spiral pattern of holes gives the air much room to expand into and releases the air slowly after fired and therefore silences the air output the most.

These silencer's were tested on a Homemade sprinkler solenoid homemade air gun made of the following parts.

¾ Solenoid Sprinkler Valve—1
¾ PVC Nipple, 12 inch—1
Car Tire Valve--1
Basketball Pump--1
½ PVC Pipe—5 inches
9/12 Brass Tubing--12 inches
17/32 Brass Tubing—5 inches

This gun fired 2 inch stefans made of the following materials.

½ Foam Backer Rod--2 inch each
.177 Metal BB’s—3 each dart
Glue—hot glue sticks

Posted Image

More pictures to be added soon, including pictures of our(Jester and I) Tri fold display board for this report/project.

#2 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 11:36 PM

What about a silencer with as many holes as possible? Would this not allow more sound into more holes?
I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#3 Renegade

Renegade

• Members
  • 536 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 01:54 PM

We will continue to produce differant types of silencers, with differant hole patterns, and test them accordingly. Any suggestions for silencer/hole formations are appreciated. (Like the post above) and will be tested like the other's.

#4 Ronster

Ronster

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 05:42 PM

Was this a school project?
-I Nerf, there for I am.

QUOTE(baghead @ Oct 25 2006, 09:55 AM) View Post
Ronster reminded me that I should have warned you all Prepare your Bladder for Imminent Release!!!!

#5 PissBacon

PissBacon

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 06:31 PM

I'm not speaking from experience, so call me out if you must.

From what I gather, silencers silence by allowing the escaping gas to slow down before exiting the barrel. The larger the volume, the quieter the noise will be, to a point where the size would make no noticeable difference. Making more holes is only compensating for a silencer which is not adequately sized. While holes may help quiet things down, they're really just allowing the noise to dissapate from a variety of angles and places instead of being focused in one place (you may not have dremeled the same amount or size of holes on all the silencers, accounting for the results favoring one over another). If you google the word 'silencer' you don't see holes in any real silencers. Considering there is a great deal more air volume to be dealt with in a nerf gun than in a real firearm, a working silencer will have to be possibly awkwardly large. To compensate for the greater volume, you could try using wider diameters of pipe or longer lengths.

#6 euphemism

euphemism

• Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 09:04 PM

I would suggest trying an open cell foam for maximum absorbtion of air.

And to pissbacon, the holes were drilled in the 1/2" PVC not the 1 1/4" PVC. Just so you know, the barrel portion of real silencers do have holes, but I know you were refering to the shell portion.

#7 PissBacon

PissBacon

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 01:48 AM

Ok. I couldn't tell from the photos/description if the holes were on the outside, and for some reason I assumed they were. What really matters are the results, not the theory, so if it works for you, great.

#8 frenzybob3

frenzybob3

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 December 2005 - 12:34 AM

With the silencer he didn't just drill holes, he also put pvc over that so that there is a gap between the two pipes, and he also put some foam substance on each of the ends to muffle the sound. The thing works.

-Jake
Its not the size of the dog in the fight its the size of the fight in the dog.

Duh im gangster just look at my nerf gun.

#9 euphemism

euphemism

• Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 02:18 AM

And it should work as it closely follows the principles of silencers, but I still believe that an open cell foam could be used to greater effect by filling the entire silencing area with it and sealing off both ends. The problem would be finding a good open cell foam tube for it and I have no suggestions for that unfortunately. Anyway, great job on your silencers and use of the scientific method.

#10 davidbowie

davidbowie

• Members
  • 422 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 05:14 PM

I can probably get ahold of some acoustic foam (used to soundproof rooms), and i'll give it a try on my upcoming air pistol.
Check out the all-new DBNerf. The source for all your DBNeeds.

#11 NerfLad78

NerfLad78

• Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 01:03 PM

Can you say illegal?
How 'bout Federal Offense?
Maybe 10 to 20 years?
Owning a silencer of any kind is illegal, as is making one.

#12 hoshiadam

hoshiadam

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 02:00 PM

Definition of a silencer:

18 USC sec. 921(a)(24)  "The term 'firearm silencer' or
    'firearm muffler' means any device for silencing, muffling,
    or diminishing the report of a portable firearm, including
    any combination of parts, designed or redesigned, and
    intended for use in assembling or fabricating a firearm
    silencer or firearm muffler, and any part intended only for
    use in such assembly or fabrication."

The definition of "firearm" (TITLE 18 > PART I > CHAPTER 44 > § 921)

The term “firearm” means
(A ) any weapon (including a starter gun) which will or is designed to or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive;
(B ) the frame or receiver of any such weapon;
(C ) any firearm muffler or firearm silencer; or
(D ) any destructive device. Such term does not include an antique firearm.

Going by those two definitions, a silencer for a nerf gun is legal, I believe. Nerf guns are not firearms, and therefore the National Firearms Act doesn't apply to nerf gun silencers.

Adam

#13 Ronster

Ronster

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 03:48 PM

Burned!
-I Nerf, there for I am.

QUOTE(baghead @ Oct 25 2006, 09:55 AM) View Post
Ronster reminded me that I should have warned you all Prepare your Bladder for Imminent Release!!!!

#14 NerfLad78

NerfLad78

• Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 04:05 PM

hoshiadam, I read on Spec Ops Paintball that silencers for paintball guns were deemed illegal in the mid 90's. They described a silencer as any removable part used to silence the report of a projectile weapon. They were not clear as to define projectile weapon, although I believe that the implied definition is obvious. Granted, a Nerf Gun may be stretching "projectile weapon", but I still wouldn't take my chances with a silencer. They aren't practical in Nerf anyway.

Cx, can we get some clarification on the legality of the situation?

#15 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 04:14 PM

EDIT: I stand corrected. Sorry I jumped on you guys.

Again, the silencers are awesome. Thanks for posting this, I'm going to try a silencer on one of my 2ks.

Edited by NerfMonkey, 21 December 2005 - 10:16 PM.

SexD Warves

#16 Renegade

Renegade

• Members
  • 536 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 04:24 PM

I agree that most Nerf War's, silencer's are pretty impractical.

Situations were they ARE practical.

Regular night/dark Nerf war's, where once a shot is heard, the enemy will know where you are.

Traveling alone, to pick off one opposing team member, without them instantly knowing where you are and getting pwned.

The reason these were built is for a school science project, but the REAL reason is this: Occasionally My Clanmate's and I will have "Dodgeball" type wars in my backyard. These wars occured during the night, where stealth and concealment is crucial. With the silenced shot, they won't be ready to dodge the dart. Making it VERY practical and perfect for this situation.

The legal/illegal Silencer Debate happened a while ago. Do your research next time.
http://nerfhaven.com...wtopic=2486&hl=

Edited by Renegade, 21 December 2005 - 04:28 PM.

#17 hoshiadam

hoshiadam

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 04:28 PM

It could be state or local laws, or some other section of the US code. I was curious, which is why I did the searching. Didn't mean to come off harsh, if I did.

Might not be a bad idea to check with local police about it, and be sure to get contact information about who you talk to.

Back to the discussion - were the holes spiraled around the barrel, or straight lines? I've seen paintball barrels that have spiral holes in them to give the ball some spin for extra distance. I wonder if something similar would work in this case.

Adam

#18 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 04:44 PM

They aren't practical in Nerf anyway.

In an assassin game however, they might prove to become an invaluable tool. Imagine it, ducking behind the bush with a few high powered guns with silencers. You could take down a small group with one shot after the next. After you take one down the rest will most likely run for cover. The cool part is they wont know if their cover is really covering them or not.

Renegade how have you tried the multiple hole thing yet?

Edited by Forsaken_angel24, 21 December 2005 - 05:37 PM.

I know its bad,
After what we had,

#19 Renegade

Renegade

• Members
  • 536 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 05:53 PM

Haven't tried that one yet, but will soon. The homemade used to test the other's is being tweaked, so I might test them with an at2k.

Silencer's would be awesome in an assasin's tourney's. A SS2 with silencer would be PERFECT for that. See Sandman's "Ghandi":

Posted Image

Edited by Renegade, 21 December 2005 - 05:53 PM.

#20 WratH

WratH

• Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 06:46 PM

I've seen paintball barrels that have spiral holes in them to give the ball some spin for extra distance. I wonder if something similar would work in this case.

What the fuck are you babbling about? Like seriously, who told you this? The spiral "holes" are called porting, and they are to make it a little quieter and so the gas doesn't freeze up your barrel as much (if you use co2). You would have to rifle a barrel to get spin on it, and even though there are a few rifled barrels out there, they probaly wouldn't work to well, I'm guessing, because a Freak barrel is not rifled, and if rifled was better, the pros would be using a rifled barrel, not a Freak.
Death be not proud. Though some have called the mighty and dreadful... Thou art not so.

#21 Meaker VI

Meaker VI

• Moderators
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 08:54 PM

I'm don't think that they would be impractical at all. It might take off some range and makes your gun much quieter, making opponents less likely to see you. And less likely to react to the sound of the gun firing...

I've played some (airsoft) games in broad daylight in the forest where there were several opponents surrounding me and they didn't know where I was. (I live in washington, where the "forests" consist of both evergreen and broad leaf trees, and where there is lots of under brush like ferns and thorns and such. I was also camoflauged well). If I had had a silenced gun, I could have waited till they went farther past me, and opened up on one or two from the back of the head. As it was, I jumped up, shot one or two, and got plastered.

#22 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 10:02 PM

If removable they're illegal anywhere in the US. If fixed permanently, they're legal. Point being, a removable silencer *could* be used on a real gun and they will nail you for that.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#23 AirApache

AirApache

• Members
  • 743 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 11:28 PM

I wonder of the angle of the drilled hole affects the effectiveness of the silencer. For example (sorry I'm doing a research paper so I don't have time to make it in paint),

Classic silencer:

______ _______
______| |_______

Etc.
Angled drilled holes:

_______ ________
_______\ \________

I'm keeping in account the fact that having holes reduces the range of the dart. So perhaps by angling the holes, you would retain the majority of the distance while dampening the "pop."

AA

Edited by AirApache, 21 December 2005 - 11:28 PM.

Indiana '11

#24 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 04:06 AM

How do you figure that a silencer reduces range? The dart going through thin air or the dart going through a ported peice of pvc should get the same distance. It will only screw up if the dart touches the sides of the ported barrel. What do you guys think am I right or no and why?
I know its bad,
After what we had,

#25 Renegade

Renegade

• Members
  • 536 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 07:40 AM

These silencer's were only made removable to accurately test them on the same gun, so that there weren't too many variables among other guns. This made it easy to test them, and to see which one worked the best, since It was out of one gun, with the same amount of pumps. So if you're making your own, make it fixed onto your barrel.

Forsaken, I believe that you are right. My silencer's don't seem to reduce range, but I will range test them sometime, just not today since there's too much snow.

Edited by Renegade, 22 December 2005 - 07:41 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users