Bolt Action Magazine Fed Carbine

Reinventing a classic

10 replies to this topic

#1 Starbuck

Starbuck

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 07:51 PM

I've taken a hiatus from modding for a while, so I'll open my workshop back up with this incredible new modification to an already classic gun.

I've owned a SuperMaxx 1000 before, and let me tell you, it is a mighty weapon. When modded right, it's a nearly perfect long range assault rifle. I saw a SuperMaxx 1000 that was missing quite a few parts for sale on NHQ and so I seized the opportunity to buy it for a mere $4. I looked high and low for a broken SM1k to get the parts to restore mine, however I never found quite what I was looking for. So, I put it away in a box to use the air tank on a future mod or homemade. Well, I just recently found it and decided to do something about the poor crestfallen warrior. Here is what I did:

What I had was essentially half a gun. No rotating drum magazine. No barrel. No pump handle. Just the back half of the gun. I had to completely rebuild the trigger and airtank mechanism, but it was worth the time and shot better than when it was new. I noticed that the space where the six-shot drum was once housed would make a novel place for a magazine.

I sat down right away and drew up a magazine system for my new SM1k. What I came up with was from the military bolt action rifles of yesteryear. I designed an internal 3 shot box magazine to be loaded from stripper clips. I got to work on it and using a cassette tape case, I made a magazine. I used popsicle sticks to reinforce the casing walls. The follower is also made of popsicle sticks. On the bottom of the follower, I put another popsicle stick sticking out through the left side casing. This is used to pull the follower down for easier loading. I used a very light spring from a trigger on an old SM3k for the follower spring.

Posted Image
Here, you see the starting gun plus the box magazine installed.

Posted Image
Pictured above is the follower handle. For easier loading, push down and hold while loading rounds in the magazine.

Next, I installed the barrel and bolt. The barrel is quite an oddity. I found the barrel in my basement. It is about a foot long and fits my micro Stephans better than PETG, brass, or CPVC. I'm not sure what it is exactly, maybe some kind of tube my dad used, but I'd love to stumble upon more. I cut a breech into the back of the barrel. I was looking for something that fit over the barrel, but 1/2" PVC was too small for its outside diameter. I was going through a box when I found the cut off barrel of an old SM5k (the blue arrow barrel). I slid this over and it was the perfect match. It slid easy, but also was air tight.

Posted Image

Next, I put on a barrel shroud. I found a piece off an old toy rifle that was about 6.5" long and cylindrical. I cut a channel in it for my bolt handle that I would later add and glued it to the front. I also put on a new pump handle. I jammed a piece of dowel rod down the pump plunger and plued it in. I then put a piece of 1/2" CPVC over the dowel rod and glue it on and wrapped it in electrical tape. Finally, I put the trigger button off of an SSPB to the end for an end cap.

Posted Image

Then, I added my bolt handle. It's a 2.5" piece of dowel rod wrapped in electrical tape and securely glued on.

Posted Image

To construct the stripper clips, I used pieces of the cassette tape cases. I Dremeled off the side of the tape case and found that my micro darts fit perfect in this. They fit it tight, but slide easy when pushed.

Posted Image

To load the carbine, push the bolt forawrd. This opens the breech. Next, pull down the followed using the handle on the left side. Then, insert the stripper clip into the right side loading port. Now simply push the three rounds into the magazine. Close the bolt and pump two and a half times.

Posted Image

Here's the final result:

Posted Image

The ranges are fantastic. I'm hitting well over the century mark on every shot using 2" Stephans. The average distance out of 20 shots was 105.6 feet. The long is 116'4" not angled. Angled it hit 123'6". Not too shabby for what was once half a gun.

The accuracy is pinpoint. I can stand all day and consistently hit a 2'X2' target at 60 feet.

The rate of fire it excellent. I can squeeze off all three shots in under seven seconds. The reloading time isn't bad, either. I can load it in under three seconds.

The only drawback is the rare jam. Over the past two days of firing, it has jammed on me two times. To remedey this, just grab the left side follower handle and jiggle it. Really, two jams is not that bad, especially when the fix is only a flick of a lever. The magazine is going to left clear so one can make sure a jam has cleared if it indeed does jam.

I believe my carbine to be the first internal box magazine fed Nerf weapon. I am also positive it is the first to use a stripper clip system. I'll eventually get around to painting it, as well. I think this is a wonderful modification to restore and reinvent a legendary gun. I suppose it is really a poor man's F.A.R. :angry:

As always, feel free to ask questions. I hope you have enjoyed another Starbuck/Noid modification.
Starbuck, The Noid,
Artemis Arms Armory

#2 Renegade

Renegade

• Members
  • 536 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 07:56 PM

Wow, that's incredible. Extremly original, and looks great. Not many sm1k Mods out there, excellent job!

#3 WEASEL

WEASEL

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 12:38 AM

I am not really caught up on my gun termenology. How does the stripper clip work? It sounds (and looks like) the casset tape peices that the darts are in couldn't work with the breach. Fill me in, thanks.

#4 Pico10

Pico10

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 02:21 PM

Where is the pump?
"Don't ask questions and expect intelligent responses"

#5 Starbuck

Starbuck

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 03:06 PM

I am not really caught up on my gun termenology. How does the stripper clip work? It sounds (and looks like) the casset tape peices that the darts are in couldn't work with the breach. Fill me in, thanks.

A stripper clip is merely a clip of metal that holds the cartrides. You insert the stripper clip into the top of the reciever and push the shells down into the magazine. For instance look at this M91 Mosin Nagant rifle being loaded:

Posted Image

See the metal clip? That's the stripper clip. You just push the rounds into the magazine. The whole purpose, Weasel, is to speed reloading time by inserting 5 cartridges at once rather than one cartridge.

Posted Image

With my carbine, simply insert the plastic stripper clip into the loading port and push the rounds into the breech, which takes them into the magazine. I know the picture is fuzzy, my apologies.

See the similarities between my stripper clip system and the one of an M91 Mosin Nagant?

Posted Image
Posted Image

This makes loading much easier.

Um... the pump is the black tube above the barrel... on top...

Edit: For some of you noobs out there who have no clue what a SuperMaxx 1000 is, here is a pic of an unmodded one:
Posted Image

Edited by Starbuck, 07 December 2005 - 03:13 PM.

Starbuck, The Noid,
Artemis Arms Armory

#6 WEASEL

WEASEL

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 06:34 PM

Ahh I see now. Thanks. And nice job on the gun, I wish I had modding skills like that.

#7 Starbuck

Starbuck

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 08:44 PM

Thank you.
Starbuck, The Noid,
Artemis Arms Armory

#8 Team Slaya

Team Slaya

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 07:41 PM

But how does the whole stripper clip work? How does the clip advance? When you pull the bolt handle? I'm really confused about that. Could this be used with other guns?

TS

#9 Starbuck

Starbuck

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 14 December 2005 - 12:13 PM

But how does the whole stripper clip work? How does the clip advance? When you pull the bolt handle? I'm really confused about that. Could this be used with other guns?

TS

To quote an unknown person on an unknown webpage:

"The loaded stripper clip is placed over the receiver ,you press down on the cartridges stripping them out of the clip and into the gun's magazine. The rounds slide off the clip into the magazine."

The clip itself does not go into the magazine. It just guides the rounds into the magazine. The clip is expendable. Once the rounds are in the magazine, there is not need for the clip.

Edited by Starbuck, 14 December 2005 - 01:41 PM.

Starbuck, The Noid,
Artemis Arms Armory

#10 LDM

LDM

• Members
  • 293 posts

Posted 14 December 2005 - 04:45 PM

Good job. I wish I had done this with mine, before I sold it. I was always too scared to go too far with it, heh. Great ideas.

#11 Starbuck

Starbuck

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 14 December 2005 - 10:09 PM

Thanks, LDM. If it had been an all original SM1k, I probably wouldn't have touched it.
Starbuck, The Noid,
Artemis Arms Armory

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users