• 16 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Guide To Barrel Material

#16 User is offline   Sinewav 

• Group: Members

Posted 19 February 2007 - 09:36 AM

What are the advantages/disadvantages I should know when choosing between brass and aluminum?

It seems that most people here like to use brass, but I'd like to know why. I'm placing a large order on McMaster and aluminum is a heck of a lot cheaper. I'm not opposed to ordering the brass if it's significantly better in terms of performance, but I can think of a lot of things that I'd like to do with the money I'd save on the aluminum.
Jose, can I have permission to fire?

#17 User is offline   Retiate 

• State:Washington

Posted 19 February 2007 - 10:11 AM

The reason brass is much favored for a barrel replacement is because it comes in such small increments. You can find a good fit for your darts, since they come in increments of 1/32. Aluminum comes in very little sizes and I think it's a bit heavier due to thicker walls. I've never used aluminum before, but I know several people have. Go to the store and see how well your darts fit in aluminum. If it's a nice fit, then great, aluminum will work for you.

#18 User is offline   CaptainSlug 

• Resident Mad Scientist
  • Group: Ambassadors

Posted 29 March 2007 - 10:00 AM

I might as well share this discovery. I found some aluminum structural tubing in the mcmaster catalog that has the same ID as 9/16" brass, 1/2" CPVC, and PETG. It's also fairly cheap (compared to brass).
1658T49 - Alloy 6063 Aluminum Round Tube .625" OD, .527" ID, 8' Length = $7.41 Each

It's pretty thick so it's durability should be excellent. Just as smooth as brass, but should prove easier to work with and won't tarnish. The outer diameter is 5/8".
I plan to use it in some in some upcoming projects.

#19 User is offline   RaZeR ShArP 

Posted 29 March 2007 - 01:45 PM

Sorry for the retarded post, but could you link us to that tubing? I searched mcmaster and I didn't see it...
"If only you could upgrade to a bigger one. Double the length and watch as others cower in fear of your balls." -Shadow Hunter Alpha

"I had just used some silicone spray on the plunger, and saw a nice increase in range. So I told my wife that lubing up makes my balls shoot further." -Carbon

#20 User is offline   SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA 

Posted 29 March 2007 - 01:46 PM

View PostCaptainSlug, on Mar 29 2007, 02:00 PM, said:

I found some aluminum structural tubing in the mcmaster catalog that has the same ID as 9/16" brass, 1/2" CPVC, and PETG.

I assume that we could substitute this aluminum in mods like FA24's Longshot. I don't see why the performance would be any different.
The only commonly shared fate among us all is death. I turn to the shadows so that I may not be unfamiliar with hell's corridors when I arrive. - SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

Founder of the Shadow Militia.
Founder of Nightshade Laboratories and The Nightshade Armament Corporation.

#21 User is offline   Retiate 

Posted 29 March 2007 - 01:59 PM

Forsaken Angel's Lonshot mod had to use brass. Unless the aluminum Has increment sizes that small, it won't work because they won't slide over eachother for that perfect seal.

#22 User is offline   CaptainSlug 

• Resident Mad Scientist

Posted 29 March 2007 - 04:25 PM

The aluminum wouldn't be useful for FA24's method since that relies upon the bolt face sliding over the receiver. You would have to find an alternative arraignment (which would probably require lathe work) in order to use aluminum.

View PostRaZeR_ShArP, on Mar 29 2007, 04:45 PM, said:

Sorry for the retarded post, but could you link us to that tubing? I searched mcmaster and I didn't see it...

I can't directly link to anything in the Mcmaster catalog. Search for part# 1658T49

This post has been edited by CaptainSlug: 29 March 2007 - 04:26 PM

#23 User is offline   SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA 

Posted 29 March 2007 - 05:27 PM

View PostCaptainSlug, on Mar 29 2007, 08:25 PM, said:

The aluminum wouldn't be useful for FA24's method since that relies upon the bolt face sliding over the receiver. You would have to find an alternative arraignment (which would probably require lathe work) in order to use aluminum.

Right. Didn't think about that...

However, the aluminum would be useful for the barrel of, say, a Crossfinder?
The only commonly shared fate among us all is death. I turn to the shadows so that I may not be unfamiliar with hell's corridors when I arrive. - SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

Founder of the Shadow Militia.
Founder of Nightshade Laboratories and The Nightshade Armament Corporation.

#24 User is offline   CaptainSlug 

• Resident Mad Scientist

Posted 29 March 2007 - 07:41 PM

It would be useful for anything where you want a very durable long barrel. I mean, if you compare it cost wise to CPVC you get

5 feet of 1/2" SCH80 CPVC = $ 6.51
8 feet of aluminum tube (.527 ID .625" OD) = $7.41

So for an extra dollar you get three more feet, plus it will look much cooler and be easier to drill mounting holes for since it's 5/8" OD.

#25 User is offline   Prometheus 

Posted 30 March 2007 - 10:59 AM

Yeah, aluminum is hard to find up my way. Brass is pretty easy to find in the larger towns/small cities, but PETG is really hard to find, it seems that most pet suppliers won't carry it. One store showing promise is primarily into aquatic pets, so for anybody out there looking for some local PETG, check pet stores with alot of aquatic life.

This post has been edited by Prometheus: 30 March 2007 - 11:00 AM

QUOTE(VACC @ Jan 24 2008, 06:12 AM) View Post
I am NEVER going to sleep naked in the bed of a former child star ever again....seriously

#26 User is offline   CaptainSlug 

• Resident Mad Scientist

Posted 30 March 2007 - 12:41 PM

View PostPrometheus, on Mar 30 2007, 01:59 PM, said:

Yeah, aluminum is hard to find up my way. Brass is pretty easy to find in the larger towns/small cities, but PETG is really hard to find, it seems that most pet suppliers won't carry it. One store showing promise is primarily into aquatic pets, so for anybody out there looking for some local PETG, check pet stores with alot of aquatic life.

PETG is not going to be available in usable sizes unless you order a custom run of 100 feet or more. Hence why it's sold on the forums here and elsewhere by certain members. If you want to use PETG contact me, OMC, or sometimes cxwq.

This post has been edited by CaptainSlug: 30 March 2007 - 12:41 PM

#27 User is offline   Flaming Hilt 

Posted 30 March 2007 - 12:46 PM

...or Arcata Pet (just search "plastic tubing").
" Beneath this mask there is more than flesh, Mr. Creedy. Beneath this mask there is an idea...
...and ideas are bulletproof. "
V

#28 User is offline   CaptainSlug 

• Resident Mad Scientist

Posted 15 April 2007 - 10:04 PM

View PostFlaming Hilt, on Mar 30 2007, 03:46 PM, said:

...or Arcata Pet (just search "plastic tubing").

Again, those are not usable sizes because their dimensions are precisely fractional (1/2" ID won't work). Typically a barrel will need somewhere between a .525" to .5345" inner diameter to be compatible with micro stefans.

This post has been edited by CaptainSlug: 15 April 2007 - 10:09 PM

#29 User is offline   kinkaid701 

• Group: Banned

Posted 06 May 2007 - 09:52 AM

pat of maverick masters sig:"In a sense, what I'm saying is that you shouldn't waste your time handling your balls. Go for the foamy rods instead."

dude, are you gay!!!?!!???! now you made me forget what i was about to say.....

oh!!! thanks cxg.. although i can get your name staright you helped me alot. i am using homemade stefans, and let me tell you what works best for my nite finder...

BRASS

EDIT: the big thing that i don't get is that modman uses brass barrels and it gives the nite finders the best preformance ive ever seen.... and it works the same with any nerf micro :)

This post has been edited by kinkaid701: 06 May 2007 - 09:53 AM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My probation doesn't allow me to be within 50 yards of any machine that can cause death. damn them.
my NEW hobby is nerf.(till my probation ands)

#30 User is offline   shadowkid33 

Posted 10 May 2007 - 04:51 PM

What is sch80 pvc used for? It's loose on my stefans and I was looking for input on what you guys use it for.
how the heck do you make a double clip?

Here are the steps.
1. Go to the search button in the right corner of the screen
2. Click
3. Search double longshot clip.

i dont have time, jeez, im new here!

Share this topic:

• 16 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic