• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Guide To Barrel Material

#1 User is offline   J cobbers 

• Group: Members
  • State:Texas

Posted 19 October 2005 - 02:29 PM

This topic is to point out what barrel materials usually used for modding nerf guns.

If you are new to the art of barrel replacements read this article by Cxwq. It should answer most of your questions and is a good starting place.

If you have further comments on or links to barrel modifications this is the place to post them. The idea is to have one place to answer questions on the subject without making new and redundant topics we've read more times than we care to.
"I hate you more than I hate church and learning."

#2 User is offline   Starsnuffer 

Posted 16 November 2005 - 02:37 PM

How does adding a PVC coupler to the end of an air chamber make it breech loading? is there a slit in the side of it or something?
I'm just a newb, don't hurt me.

#3 User is offline   Nerferc 

Posted 16 November 2005 - 03:48 PM

Well, the coupler allows you to pull the barrel off, put the dart in, and put the barrel back one. This allows you to reload without having to ramrod the dart in. That's how it works.
Eagles may fly, but weasels don't get caught in jet engines.

Save gas, fart in a jar.

Formerly known as Nerfnoobc.

#4 User is offline   Mattf 

Posted 07 February 2006 - 06:27 PM

If anyone would post what sizes of PVC and brass they recommend for micro stock and micro stefans, I'd be eternally grateful of them / willing to donate blood to them / appreciative.

#5 User is offline   Mattf 

Posted 07 February 2006 - 06:29 PM

If anyone would post what sizes of PVC and brass they recommend for micro stock and micro stefans, I'd be eternally grateful of them / willing to donate blood to them / appreciative.

I thought it'd be 1/2" for the CPVC and a bit more for the brass, but nothing fit my darts.

*insert extremely sad face*

#6 User is offline   Maverick Master 

Posted 08 February 2006 - 04:02 PM

I know this is an old topic but i didn't want to start a hole nother topic for just one question, any way.

I was just wondering why copper dosn't work good for a barrel. I've all ready heard the story about copper is the stuff that comes from inbettween your grandpas legs but other than that i really don't know.
Cpt. Brian Scott of UGNS

Under
Ground
Nerf
Squad

Alias Scoped loser (+)
(.)(.) :)

LordofTheRings434
"In a sense, what I'm saying is that you shouldn't waste your time handling your balls. Go for the foamy rods instead."

#7 User is offline   cxwq 

• Group: Founders

Posted 08 February 2006 - 04:59 PM

I'm going to just pretend that I didn't read the last sentence...

Use the barrel material that fits your darts. Period.

If you're using stock micros, 1/2" SCH40 PVC fits the tips nicely and 9/16" OD K&S brass or crayola markers or .55" ID PETG will do for the body.

If you're using stefans, nothing I say will help you because your foam isn't the same size as mine. Take a piece of FBR to the hardware store and start hunting. Then take it to the hobby store and do the same. Chances are you'll find something that works.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#8 User is offline   yourmomsanerfer 

Posted 17 February 2006 - 07:52 AM

whats the main difference between the use of petg and cpvc? I know that the petg is thinner but how and why does it affetc the stefans?
tag! no tag backs

#9 User is offline   Hotness 

Posted 15 March 2006 - 10:48 AM

I would recomend the use of hollowed out crayola markers inside a length of 1/2" SCH40 PVC for guns that use stock micros.
Holla Holla Hotness Nerfwhores!
Proud to be a member of the Wolfpac and co-captain the Empire

#10 User is offline   J cobbers 

• State:Texas

Posted 16 March 2006 - 11:05 AM

yourmomsanerfer, on Feb 17 2006, 07:52 AM, said:

whats the main difference between the use of petg and cpvc? I know that the petg is thinner but how and why does it affetc the stefans?

It's clear, lighter, easier to cut and can be ordered in sizes that more exactly fit your foam backer rod. Generally however finding it requires you to custom order it or get some from someone who has, were as PVC and CPVC can be had at most any hardware store.
Because you can match it to your FBR that you use for stephans allows superior performance in valve based guns where you want a perfect fit rather than the tight one you want for a spring gun.
"I hate you more than I hate church and learning."

#11 User is offline   z80 

Posted 16 March 2006 - 12:32 PM

Hotness, on Mar 15 2006, 10:48 AM, said:

I would recomend the use of hollowed out crayola markers inside a length of 1/2" SCH40 PVC for guns that use stock micros.

Ive used that on my AT2k, LBB and NF. Works great with matchsticks too.

#12 User is offline   Shadow 92 

Posted 28 September 2006 - 10:22 AM

I've got a question. If you replaced a spring in, say a Big Bad Bow, would you need a longer barrel than normal to compensate for the plunger's accelerated speed? Would the same concept apply to pump guns as well, swichting from a ballvalve to a sprinker valve because the air is also moving faster? And shouldn't nested brass barrels always be used in spring guns as opposed CPVC?

#13 User is offline   Shadow 92 

Posted 06 January 2007 - 07:24 PM

I've got another question. I just ordered some 0.5" ID PETG from McMaster and realized that its ID is too small for my darts. My question is; Can I use a 9/16 drill bit to widen the ID on the PETG even though it will leave 1/16 of space with its 5/8 ID? If not is there any other way to evenly widen it?

(Sorry for the double post)

#14 User is offline   nerfer34 

Posted 06 January 2007 - 07:50 PM

That's what I'm thinking.....

If you can find a 9/16 drill bit, LET ME KNOW!

But yes, I believe you can.
<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God Damn it Groove, you stole my kill.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->-OMC

#15 User is offline   Shadow 92 

Posted 06 January 2007 - 09:12 PM

Thanks nerfer34. I found several 9/16 drill bits at Lowes and Home Depot and combined with the bit extensions, I should be able to drill all the way through the barrel.

Share this topic:

• 16 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users