update from NerfHQ

28 replies to this topic

#1 Dr Nerf

Dr Nerf

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 07:41 PM

New photos and more are available here.

About a month ago I posted about my second Nerf homemade. The NerfHQ topic is available here.

Posted Image

Specifications
Propulsion - Air Pressure
Magazine Capacity - 4
Valve - Semi-Auto Homemade
Length - 50 inches (4' 2")
Maximum Range - 250 feet
Accurate Range - 150 feet

It is very accurate and has a fairly high rate of fire. It's rate of fire is not as good as it could be because I did not install an ejector yet and the bolt jams against the shells frequently. But it still has a very good rate of fire for an air pressure Nerf.

Some other pictures:
Picture of entire gun
Closeup on Shells and Magazine
Second picture of entire gun
Bolt Closed
Bolt Half Open
Bolt Open

Tell me what you think.

Edit: An explanation of how the valve works is available here and quoted below.

I am surprised that I never actually explained my system in full before. The links are to pictures of the parts that I am talking about.

The valve is a simple piston style valve. The chamber setup (second picture, this time solvent welded together) encases the piston. To get a seal, the piston has O-ring mounts at three places. The first set seal the main valve (the "trigger valve"). Since this valve has semi-automatic capabilties, the setup set is the shutoff valve (to conserve the air in the reservior). The third set is just there to make sure that air does not escape out the back of the gun.

When the piston is pulled back, air can then escape from the front out into the barrel and so on. However, only air from the chamber is released because the second set of seals prevents extra air from escaping. This diagram that I make should show exactly how the valve works.

Posted Image

The trigger system was just two bellcranks and some music wire (second picture). After the piston is inserted in to the back of the chamber, you hook on a piece of music wire (to connect to the trigger system) and put in a spring and cap (to push the piston forward). Cap the end with an end cap and the valve is ready.

I really like how my gun is really easy to work with and easy to repair. Unlike other homemade valve, this one is high flow and allows you to repair it easily (because you can remove the piston).

Edited by Doom, 04 July 2013 - 06:30 PM.
Added an updated link.

#2 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 08:17 PM

I'm impressed. Why all the extra distance between the chamber and the darts though?

~ompa

Edited by ompa, 08 September 2005 - 08:20 PM.

#3 BloodMoon

BloodMoon

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 08:18 PM

First off, great job! That looks awesome!

As a newbie looking at your ranges, that looks like a VERY powerful weapon. How did you test the ranges? Was that a level shot, and was there any dart skip? Does it hurt to get shot from a closer range (say 30')?

Also, do you use all the pressure up in one shot, or does it only let out a little bit of pressure at a time, like in Osiris' homemade?
We live in an age when pizza
gets to your house before the police.

#4 murakumo32

murakumo32

• Members
  • 419 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 08:25 PM

No offense, but that thing needs to get a face lift. Other than that, ACCURATE UP TO 150FT!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!? Oops, overdid it on the !?
Nerfing, now fortified with vitamin C!
-or-
100% Nerf, for 100% pwnage.

Nerf is a neutral weapons dealer. Anyone coughing up the dough can get armed.

and they're made of Foam... which makes them very Nerfy...

#5 Team Slaya

Team Slaya

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 08:31 PM

That thing, while not being very hot, is very hot. I especially like the trigger... but I don't know why :ph34r: . Awsome power, with a sweet clip. I need to see bolt's analysis on this, I think he'd be happy to know that someone is up to par with his FAR. Did you get any inspiration from the FAR that went into the development of this gun?

TS

#6 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 08:52 PM

Doctor Nerf, I've never been that crazy about homemades until I saw bolt's FAR, and now this...this has just inspired me to build one. Thank you.

As for the gun...sexy. Very, very sexy. How many shots can you get from that beast before needing to repump it? And also, couldn't you build a huge magazine with about ten rounds in it? I assume you used a leaf spring (think that's what they're called), in fact I know you used one. But on that magazine, is it like bolt's mag on his FAR, where you have two semi-/half circles of PVC, like you cut a length of 1/2" or 3/4" down the center and then just connected the two halves with balsa? I love it! Oh, and you used Sch. 80 PVC for the shells, correct? I really, really like it and now want to build something similar, meaning semi-auto, but I'd probably have a much smaller tank to make it usable in wars.

Very, very good job Nerf. It's a great looking gun.

Edited by NerfMonkey, 08 September 2005 - 08:55 PM.

SexD Warves

#7 boltsniper

boltsniper

• Contributors
  • 591 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 11:49 PM

Very nice. I was impressed with your trigger mechanism for this weapon when you posted it before and now you`ve added a bolt action breah. Very impressive.

Without an ejection system, how do you get the spent shell out? Just let it fall out by tillting the weapon?

What kind of spring did you use for the magazine? Just curious because I know how hard it is to come up with a spring good enough to use for a magazine.

I am a bit skeptical about your ranges though. 250 feet is a bit high. I beleive there is an asymptotic limit for nerf darts slightly over 200'. I`m not saying you're ranges are BS but the amount of energy it takes to get a nerf dart to 250' is quite high and not attainable by the typcial homemade. How are you measuring your ranges?

Very impressive homemade! You should be proud. If you integrated your trigger mechanism and your breach.magazine setup you would have one fantastic weapon. I`m sure it works great as it is but it looks like it would be a little awkward to operate with the bolt being so far forward.

Keep up he good work!

#8 Doom

Doom

NH's Official In-House Physicist

• Administrators
  • 559 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 05:16 AM

The ranges are completely true. I'd know because I'm his brother, and I helped him out with most everything (not too much design though). The valve opens fast, the pressure chamber is huge, the pressure is moderate, the barrel is several feet long: it's a proven formula for range. If we increased the pressure from the moderate 15 or so PSI we use right now, it'd just be plain dangerous (or more than it already is). Already at barely 15 PSI we've had accidents involving glass...

The 250 foot shot is at least short. We never recovered the dart simply because it shot into a neighbor's yard, right over their house (it was an angled shot). We measured from inside our garage to their house and took that measurement (with a tape measure). The gun is perfectly capable of more with more pressure, but I wouldn't want to be near it.

Dr. Nerf and I don't use normal "stefans". Dr. Nerf had the idea to use small, relatively heavy screws in Nerf darts because we don't have to use hot glue given you can screw them into the foam. This is easier to make, cheaper and faster. I'd also like to say they perform better, but I bet if anything it's simply added the weight that helps.

What kind of spring did you use for the magazine? Just curious because I know how hard it is to come up with a spring good enough to use for a magazine.

To the best of my knowledge, he used multiple springs. I bet you'd rather hear it from the horse's mouth though, as I'm not completely sure.

To clear up some confusion, this system can have potentially infinite shots. Right now he has the gun setup to be attached to the air compressor in our garage just like many air powered tools. I plan on letting him use my Constant air pressure water gun's air chambers after I build it - this should provide about 22 liters of compressed air stored at at least 100 PSI. I'd have to do some math to figure out how many shots that would be, but you get the picture.

I am glad that they finally let Andrew in here though... this was his third attempt at registration.

#9 Dr Nerf

Dr Nerf

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 04:36 PM

First I must thank everyone for their compliments. On to answering the questions:

Why all the extra distance between the chamber and the darts though?

The extra distance is there only because the bolt takes up that space when it is retracted. It is dead space when shooting though.

How did you test the ranges? Was that a level shot, and was there any dart skip? Does it hurt to get shot from a closer range (say 30')?

Also, do you use all the pressure up in one shot, or does it only let out a little bit of pressure at a time, like in Osiris' homemade?

I tested the ranges by standing in my garage and shooting out towards my neighbors house. I tested the weapon at about 10 to 20 psi (usually 15 psi). To test accuracy, I shot at my neighbor's garage door (about 150 feet away) and repeatably hit it. I shot 3 darts to find out the range. All three soared over my neighbor's house. I went into their backyard and could not find the darts, so I basically assumed that they at least made it to the fence that borders their backyard (the fence that led into their backyard). So I measured out to that fence, and it was 250' and I think 3".

So the gun was able to shoot about 250 max, but that kind of range is completely useless. I was more pleased that it could shoot 150 feet accurately (which is very good).

The gun does not use up all the pressure at one, but I basically was designed to. Because of the semi-automatic valve I put in it, when the trigger is pulled, all of the internals before the pressure chamber are sealed and not used, so only the pressure chamber is emptied.

The pressure chamber that you see takes up about 83% of the volume of the full chamber. All of the stuff before the chamber takes up 17% of the volume. So, you can get 2 shots per tank, one strong one, and one weak one. But I must say that I designed the gun to work with a pressured backpack (just a piece of pipe with an air regulator attached to it).

If you put the pressure up very high (say 40 psi or so) use could get two strong shots if you want, but I prefer low psi. I could modify the gun to allow it to get 4 or 5 shots per tank by extending the area behind the pressure chamber, but this would make the gun even more bulky and huge.

Did you get any inspiration from the FAR that went into the development of this gun?

To tell the truth, yes the FAR did inspire me. I did not like how it was spring powered (no offense), but I loved the rate of fire. So I designed something to offer sort of a compromise between rate of fire and power. So to make it powerful, I made it have a huge (now that I think back, too huge) pressure chamber. The bolt action system fulfills my requirement for fast rate of fire. Also, a fast valve with a large internal diameter was necessary to allow the air to flow better. So I made a homemade semi-auto valve. These fulfilled my goal well.

How many shots can you get from that beast before needing to repump it? And also, couldn't you build a huge magazine with about ten rounds in it?

I could build a magazine that could fit ten rounds, but it would be huge. Plus, it is pretty hard to load rounds into the magazine. I designed my magazine to fit 6, but I have never fit more that 4 in.

Oh, and you used Sch. 80 PVC for the shells, correct?

Yes, just plain pieces of 1/2 inch Schedule 80 PVC. Each is 2 inches long.

Without an ejection system, how do you get the spent shell out? Just let it fall out by tillting the weapon?

The ejection hole is large enough just to remove it with your finger. I was planning on using a standing ejector for it (check the bolt open picture, look at the mount hole for it), but the plan literally "fell through" (the ejector kept on falling out of the gun). I think that if I redesign the way I attached the standing ejector, I might be able to get it to work again.

The springs that I used probably aren't what I should have used, but they work well. NerfMonkey asked if I used leaf springs, but I don't think I did. I just went to my local hardware store and bought 4 compression springs. I had to pair them together to get 2 sets of two and they work great.

I am a bit skeptical about your ranges though. 250 feet is a bit high. I beleive there is an asymptotic limit for nerf darts slightly over 200'. I`m not saying you're ranges are BS but the amount of energy it takes to get a nerf dart to 250' is quite high and not attainable by the typcial homemade. How are you measuring your ranges?

It is completely understandable why you say that a 250' is very hard to get, because it is. I think that a normal "stefan" homemade dart would have a limit of about 200'. But I weigh my darts heavily with screws. These heavy darts and the huge pressure chamber must really propel the darts well.

To clear up some confusion, this system can have potentially infinite shots. Right now he has the gun setup to be attached to the air compressor in our garage just like many air powered tools. I plan on letting him use my Constant air pressure water gun's air chambers after I build it - this should provide about 22 liters of compressed air stored at at least 100 PSI. I'd have to do some math to figure out how many shots that would be, but you get the picture.

Well put. The gun was designed to use a compressed air backpack, and I have most of the parts to build a small backpack that could provide 8 to 12 shots (2 to 3 clips). A backpack should be no problem since it is filled with air and therefore not the heaviest thing in the world.

I hope that this answers some questions.

#10 boltsniper

boltsniper

• Contributors
  • 591 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 04:58 PM

I think that a normal "stefan" homemade dart would have a limit of about 200'. But I weigh my darts heavily with screws.

Ahh, that would explain it. You could definitely get some high ranges with a substantially heavier dart. I can see that you have a massive amount of air propelling the dart but I was under the impression that you were shooting stock darts or standard sefans. I can`t say that I would want to get hit with anything heavier than a stadard dart though....

When I was playing with my combustion gun I was shooting stock darts and I never got much above 200' regardless of chamber pressure.

#11 blink 182

blink 182

• Members
  • 421 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 09:22 AM

Do you think we could get a picture of the mag. I'm intrested in the design of how you placed the springs.
New Price On Freedom, Buy Into It While Supplies Last...

#12 Ronster

Ronster

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 09:42 AM

How many times must you pump it in order to acheve 250'?

BTW: Very nice, dood!
Not too pretty but your ranges sure do make up for it.
-I Nerf, there for I am.

QUOTE(baghead @ Oct 25 2006, 09:55 AM) View Post
Ronster reminded me that I should have warned you all Prepare your Bladder for Imminent Release!!!!

#13 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 04:49 PM

Dr. Nerf and I don't use normal "stefans".  Dr. Nerf had the idea to use small, relatively heavy screws in Nerf darts because we don't have to use hot glue given you can screw them into the foam.

I tested the ranges by standing in my garage and shooting out towards my neighbors house. I tested the weapon at about 10 to 20 psi (usually 15 psi). To test accuracy, I shot at my neighbor's garage door (about 150 feet away) and repeatably hit it.

How is it your neighbour hasn't come home and killed you guys yet? With a screw (metal) protruding even slightly from foam would leave a dent, scratch or crater in this guys garage. My loser that only reaches 100 feet straight still left dents in my shed door about the size of pinky finger print. My stefans had the weight protruding from the foam a bit but would still be covered in a dome of hot glue, spreading the impact a little more. Does he know you guys are shooting at his garage?

Edited by Forsaken_angel24, 10 September 2005 - 04:55 PM.

I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#14 Dr Nerf

Dr Nerf

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 08:12 PM

Do you think we could get a picture of the mag. I'm intrested in the design of how you placed the springs.

The magazine is made of 1" PVC, 1/2" PVC, cardboard (I did not have any wood thin enough), duct tape and 4 3 and 3/8" compression springs. The springs are placed in sets of 2 with one set on side to allow for easy compression and loading. At the top of the springs is a piece of 1/2" PVC with a cover of duct tape to space it more (I think that I could remove the duct tape though, it is sort of useless). If you would like to see how the springs are oriented, this picture should do.

How many times must you pump it in order to acheve 250'?

The gun does not use a pump, it was made to use a pressurized backpack setup (just a piece of pipe filled with pressured air) to allow for multiple shots without pumping. I did however make a PVC pump just incase, and it only needs 8 to 12 pumps to pump to a good enough pressure. I usually shoot this around 15 PSI, which is quite low, and that is enough to easily shoot 250', with a heavy enough dart.

How is it your neighbour hasn't come home and killed you guys yet?

First of all, I recess the screws I use as weights and glue them in if needed. This way, the foam is basically the tip with a screw head visible. And second, 150' is a far distance away, so I doubt it would do anything to their garage. I did check after the first shot and they did not have any marks at all, the darts just casually bounced back. It would however, seriously do some damage if I was not so far away. Edit: Now that I think back, it was a pretty dumb idea to shoot it at their garage. But that is in the past now and fortunately, nothing went wrong.

Edited by Dr. Nerf, 11 September 2005 - 10:22 AM.

#15 Crappy Nerfer

Crappy Nerfer

• Banned
  • 149 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 08:49 PM

Woah, I never knew one hundred fifty inches is a far distance. O_o

Edited by Crappy Nerfer, 09 December 2005 - 05:17 PM.

"If one notices a patch of gangrene in a wound on the back of one's hand, one does not simply hope that it gets better over time.

One cuts that shit off at the wrist and learns to masturbate lefty."

- Death

"By BC do you mean Boston College?"

- nerfer34

#16 BloodMoon

BloodMoon

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 09:02 PM

Could you say a little bit more about how you made the PVC pump you mentioned? Also, supposing that a pump on an existing nerf gun (say an AirTech 3000) broke, would it be possible to use a PVC pump like the one you made as a replacement?
We live in an age when pizza
gets to your house before the police.

#17 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 02:11 AM

And second, 150" is a far distance away, so I doubt it would do anything to their garage.

Even with a glue tipped stefan, I hit the De-commissioner at 100 feet on the inner knee and it left a welt the size of a tennis ball. But this is flesh and not wood or aluminum. Have your brother hit you in the back from across the street and see how it feels. T-shirts only of course and have paramedics standing by getting ready to surgically remove a stefan from your spinal column.
I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#18 barnes

barnes

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 08:54 AM

Once you load the bolts into the clip, what keeps them from just flying out?

#19 Doom

Doom

NH's Official In-House Physicist

• Administrators
  • 559 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 09:39 AM

Quote: Dr. Nerf
And second, 150" is a far distance away.

Woah, I never knew one hundred fifty inches is a far distance. O_o

This is one thing I've learned to hate about this forum: the constant ass kicking and sarcasm. Stop it. You could have said that nicer. I do like that you chose a name that fits your personality though.

Could you say a little bit more about how you made the PVC pump you mentioned? Also, supposing that a pump on an existing nerf gun (say an AirTech 3000) broke, would it be possible to use a PVC pump like the one you made as a replacement?

I'm not him, but I'll tell you that the pump he made was really simple. It only has one check valve, so you have to remove the piston each time to replenish the air. If you want to replace the pump of another Nerf gun with a homemade one, that's not a problem at all. Visit my website and look at the "Air Pressure Homemade" article for more information on homemade pumps. If you still have the piston from that pump that would be better, because it can be hard to find O-rings that seal and move well in sch. 40 PVC pipe.

I believe he loads the darts into the part where the clip is held, and then pushes the clip over that. You're completely correct - they would fly out of the clip.

#20 Dr Nerf

Dr Nerf

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 10:55 AM

Woah, I never knew one hundred fifty inches is a far distance.

Oh man, I had a typo. You could have been nice and just have asked, but you didn't. I fixed it so be happy.

On to more legitimate questions:

It would be completely possible to use the pump I made as a replacement. As long as the check valve is intact, you can just attach a 1/2" female adapter to the check valve and then you could screw in the pump.

Even if the check valve is not intact, you can replace the check valve and then add a 1/2" female adapter and you can still use a replacement pump.

The pump is quite simple, just a piston inside a piece of 1" PVC. The piston is a piece of 1/2" PVC with 3 (I had 4 but the 4th keeps on slipping off so use 3) O-rings (15/16" OD and 3/4" ID) on it. The O-rings are held in place with duct tape and many layers of duct tape were put over each end to ensure that the pump worked. The piston should look like this if made correctly. If you want to make the piston higher quality, then you could use pieces of couples and end caps if you sand them down enough to replace the duct tape.

I made this pump very quickly, so it is missing the second check valve. All that this means is that you must pull the piston out of the pump every thing. That should not be too much of a problem, but you should add a second check valve just so that is operates like a completely normal pump.

Even with a glue tipped stefan, I hit the De-commissioner at 100 feet on the inner knee and it left a welt the size of a tennis ball. But this is flesh and not wood or aluminum. Have your brother hit you in the back from across the street and see how it feels. T-shirts only of course and have paramedics standing by getting ready to surgically remove a stefan from your spinal column.

If you are trying to say that my Nerf gun can hurt people, you bet it can. My first Nerf homemade could easily hurt people. Most air pressure Nerf homemades can easily leave welts on skin or flesh. But something solid like a garage door, it might leave a mark at point blank but not a good distance away (like 150').

As Doom said, I load the loaded shells into the the magazine mount. I first pull the bolt forward, then dropped the loaded shells in. I then take the magazine and fit it into the mount. It is much easier to load this way than actually putting the darts into the magazine and then mounting the magazine.

#21 The Infinite Shindig

The Infinite Shindig

Arma-what-now?

• Contributors
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 02:43 PM

I agree with Dr. Nerf here. Unlike a typical post, he actually put together an original project and is sharing it with the community. I value that contribution very highly compared to what others (crappy nerfer) have simply posted. And to be quite honest, I didn't even notice the typo. I think we all knew what he meant when he said the range was far enough to take a extra weighted stefan over the neighbor's garage.

Am I saying we should be slack about the Code of Conduct? Hell no assholes. What I am saying is that if someone makes one minor error, it shouldn't negate their contribution. Dr. Nerf has answered all questions that were posted in a very clear manner and included pictures. I say give this guy a break and let the admins determine what needs to be corrected and what doesn't.
Shindig of the Lawn Chair Mafia

<a href="http://www.albinobla.../flash/posting" target="_blank">Posting and You</a>

#22 Arcanis

Arcanis

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 02:50 PM

At only 15 PSI, I must say that's amazing.

-i hate the yankees as much as the next guy, but i'm only sixteen and i'm not ready for the ice age, or the apocalypse...whichever the great bambino has destined for us. -Rawray7

#23 rylundo

rylundo

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 04:24 PM

ops screwed up.

Edited by rylundo, 11 September 2005 - 04:25 PM.

I am hungry enough to eat a cow.....no not really just a full sized baby.

quote from chessler
Rylundo, you get the cookie anyway.

Thats right bitchs I got a cookie.

#24 foamsmith

foamsmith

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 09:39 PM

Nice work Dr. Nerf.

Next project: Build a gun with the same power/range, but that can safely be shot at anyone, from any range, thereby raising Nerf combat to a whole new level. You have three weeks. Any questions?
formerly frank8715

#25 Spider-Waffle

Spider-Waffle

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 09:40 AM

Nice work Dr. Nerf.

Next project: Build a gun with the same power/range, but that can safely be shot at anyone, from any range, thereby raising Nerf combat to a whole new level. You have three weeks. Any questions?

That doesn't seem very feasible. Acording to BS you need more weight than a standard stefan to get a projectile to go over 200ft. Unless BS is in some really high densisty air, you'll need something differant than a stefan.

Maybe a really heavy stefan with a small spring in the front to increase impact time and an areodynamic cover over the spring.

An alternative is to regulate the air pressure that goes from the air tank to blast chamber. If your going to hit someone at close range drop the pressure, long increase it, just don't hit someone close when you've primed for long :\

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users