Nerfers Nerfing Disease

Team NerfHaven Folding@Home

445 replies to this topic

#26 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 10:26 PM

I noticed that on two of my machines, both running XP, 1 home 1 pro, that after a reboot I had the FAH core running at approximately 50% CPU under both my username and system. Maybe setting it to a service was a poor choice?

There's a known issue if you've installed the graphical and console clients on the same machine. Assuming that's not it, did you put the client in your startup folder?

Gimme some details on what you did and maybe I can help.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#27 taita cakes

taita cakes

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 02:44 AM

I haven't looked into the specifics of this, but you can definitely leave your computer working while it's offline.

Thanks for clearing that up.

I have a lot of friends that idle with their computers on 24/7 for days and days on end, so I'll try and get them into this too.
Oh Kentucky, you are so fuggin awesome...

#28 BoltMasterZero

BoltMasterZero

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 10:17 AM

Each work unit is worth a point total between 10 and 600...

:( I only got 2 points for a work unit.

#29 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 10 July 2005 - 12:32 AM

Each work unit is worth a point total between 10 and 600...

:P I only got 2 points for a work unit.

I noticed. How long did it take to finish and what are your computer specs?

I'll take this opportunity to welcome quasar619, baelnorn, Shinny, Illadar, and bmz to the team. Current stats are as follows:

Rank   User           Score    WU
1         cxwq          3284     21
2         quasar619     728      2
3         Ompa          356      2
4         baelnorn      272      1
5         Shinny         241      1
6         Illadar        14       1
7         bmz             6        2

quasar has moved past Ompa into second place and is averaging a studly 364 points per WU which probably means that one or both of his computers are rather fast.

Team NH is now ranked 6735 out of 38988 teams and I just created it a week ago! Keep adding those CPUs!

#30 Nerforbust

Nerforbust

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 10 July 2005 - 12:35 AM

I must have gotten the largest WU... It says it will be done... Thursday.

#31 The Infinite Shindig

The Infinite Shindig

Arma-what-now?

• Contributors
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 10 July 2005 - 12:55 AM

I just added another CPU to my username. It's a P4 desktop. Hopefully I can get ahold of another (but it's a dinosaur).

You guys would all be hurting if I could get Folding@Home on the two servers at work. Unfortunately for me, I work as a civilian intern for the local naval base, which means that downloading unapproved software is a big no-no; I could actually get in huge trouble for doing that.
Shindig of the Lawn Chair Mafia

<a href="http://www.albinobla.../flash/posting" target="_blank">Posting and You</a>

#32 Viper

Viper

• Members
  • 611 posts

Posted 10 July 2005 - 01:03 AM

I'm on now, my virus software keeps on bugging me about the folding@home program for whatever reason.

#33 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 10 July 2005 - 02:15 AM

I'm on now, my virus software keeps on bugging me about the folding@home program for whatever reason.

If your virus program includes a host-based firewall, it may be alerting you to the network traffic F@H is generating. You should be able to check a box that tells your firewall to ignore this particular application.

#34 Richomundo

Richomundo

• Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 10 July 2005 - 03:34 AM

My PC (athlon 64 3000) gets extremely hot and jumps into the 60 C range, is there a way to combat this while running F@H or should I just go out and get a better heatsink anyways? (I've heard the stock AMD heatsinks are garbage.)

#35 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 10 July 2005 - 01:35 PM

or should I just go out and get a better heatsink anyways? (I've heard the stock AMD heatsinks are garbage.)

Yup.

I use the Thermalright XP-90 on my Athlon64 3.0 and it works great. The price is down to about $35 now.

#36 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 05:06 PM

Twice the fun...

Posted Image

I'd like to welcome Piney, Phantom, Hunter, Nerforbust, and Devious (since that screencap!) to Team NH and congratulate everyone on the team for cruising up to 5389th place out of 39019 teams! In addition, baelnorn has now moved into second place and contention for the prize.

We now have 26 active CPUs cranking out work units and we're on pace to break into the top 1000 teams in about 3 weeks. Most of the teams we're flying past have been going at it for over two years. Keep adding those CPUs to the effort!

#37 Hunter

Hunter

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 09:06 PM

I <3 Nerf Haven

It's not the contest for me. I love the idea, much more worthwhile than SETI.

Edited by Hunter, 11 July 2005 - 09:10 PM.

Hunter
Organizer Vancouver Area Nerf Series

#38 Devious

Devious

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 10:17 PM

as of this second, we are ranked at 5085, and i'm currently in sixth, F@H runs pretty slow here, but luckily it's easily combatable

Edited by Devious, 11 July 2005 - 10:17 PM.

#39 Hunter

Hunter

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 12:22 PM

4812 of 39030
Hunter
Organizer Vancouver Area Nerf Series

#40 The Infinite Shindig

The Infinite Shindig

Arma-what-now?

• Contributors
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 05:26 PM

Here's a new rule guys. Let Cx give the run down on rankings whether they be as a group or individuals. I'd much rather see one post updates, not up to the minute ones.

I'd also like to say, "Keep those processors running!" I want to see a fight over who wins that prize, not a clear cut victory for someone. In addition, I'd also like to commend Cx on all the processors he has committed to the project. There would be no way the team would be doing as well without him.
Shindig of the Lawn Chair Mafia

<a href="http://www.albinobla.../flash/posting" target="_blank">Posting and You</a>

#41 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 06:08 PM

I can't even get a friend of mine to sign up for it... Bleh.

Nonetheless, impressive how many CPU's we already have running for it, congrats to everyone.

~ompa

#42 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 06:33 PM

Here's a new rule guys.  Let Cx give the run down on rankings whether they be as a group or individuals.

Ahem, thank you - I think that's my cue.

Posted Image

I'd like to start by welcoming Ash to the team.

That's 13 members which is cool, but we can do a lot better! In the last 30 days NerfHaven has had 308 unique, registered, logged in users reading these forums. I know for a fact that most of you are not running down to the library every time you want to check your favorite threads. Let your computer do what it was made to do instead of forcing it to sit around practically idle while you surf the web. Put those spare cycles to work on some cool hard science that could eventually save lives!

Alright, I'll get off the soapbox for a bit. Today saw quasar's return to second place, pushing baelnorn down to third and providing a little of the excitement Shinny is looking for. Not to mention that Shinny is awfully close to third place now himself. It's going to take more than that to catch me and win the prize though!

Team NerfHaven is now ranked 4759 out of 39036 teams. Another day, another 600 teams in our dust.

Bug your siblings, friends, roommates, coworkers, and local supercomputing centers until they agree to help Team NerfHaven break into the realm of the protein folding elite!

Keep adding those CPUs!

Edit: I'm also going to randomly change the name of this thread so people can't keep ignoring it <g>

#43 The Trouble

The Trouble

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 08:48 PM

I'm signed up now. I have a history of botching simple tasks, so I hope everything is set up correctly.

On April 4, 2005 my mom died. She had various forms of cancer during her short lifetime, and finally died of an unknown blood illness. Students actually came in to see her bloodwork, and a class even paid her a personal visit to ask her questions. Even though she was considered a "mutant" she was quite honored to be a part of a potential cure for future sufferers.

She was in Stanford hospital when she passed. She was comfortable, and the nurses (particularly the night crew) were very understanding and co-operative with her needs.

If for nothing else, I see this as a way to thank all the helpful folks at Stanford, and a way to honor my mother.

I urge everyone to sign up. You're making an important donation, and it costs you absolutely nothing. Let's help cure something!

#44 rawray7

rawray7

• Members
  • 549 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 12:29 AM

about two days ago, i installed it on two computers within minutes of each other with the same username, and i'm noticing today that "rawray7" has two different user names, runs two different types of work units, and both cpus think they are cpu:01. this computer shows me things like "250000 out of 500000 <50>", and the other one says stuff like "frame completed <9>". i'm confused on how to consolidate my resources. also, its been like 18 hours since i finished my first unit on this computer and i'm still not on the boards.
You, nerfboi, are the suckest gun. -neonerfer

#45 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 12:37 AM

Actually, you appeared on the boards this evening.

Check it out here.

You can (should) fix the other machine to have your name spelled the same on both clients. If you do it before that machine finishes its first work unit and then restart the machine, I think it will submit properly under the new name.

As for the different types of work units, that's normal. At any given time, there are about a hundred different studies going on, utilizing one of five different 'cores' which each enable different types of projects. You could be using AMBER, GROMACS, DGROMACS, TINKER, or QMD. For info on the specific project you're working on, find a match in your log file for one of these work unit names.

Welcome to the team!

Edit: what exactly do you mean by "rawray7" having two different user names? If you mean the hash value after the connection attempt, that's normal. Also normal for both machines to be cpu:01 - that's to distinguish the CPUs for multi-processor machines.

#46 Pineapple

Pineapple

Old-school Admin

• Contributors
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 03:10 AM

Also normal for both machines to be cpu:01 - that's to distinguish the CPUs for multi-processor machines.

Ooops.

I hope I didn't mess things up; I got F@H running on my home machine, and using the text-only console at home, saw that it was also cpu:01, same as my work comp (I'm the boss here, so I gave myself the 'ok' to run it from there).

Not wanting to create artificial confusion, I decided to go into the config. file and change the cpu to 02. I hope I didn't screw my standings up. My P3 (930MHz, 384mb) is like a Model-T on a highway full of ZR-1 Corvettes. Slow, but it's moving right along!

-Piney-

p.s.; I really enjoy watching the graphics on the frames version...better than any MS screensavers.
-Piney- of White Dog Hobbies Armory

<!--quoteo(post=209846:date=Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM:name=boom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boom @ Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
It's to bad you live in hawaii I bet there are not many wars there.Wait what am I saying<b> you live in hawaii you lucky bastard.</b>
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#47 rawray7

rawray7

• Members
  • 549 posts

Posted 14 July 2005 - 12:13 AM

Edit: what exactly do you mean by "rawray7" having two different user names? If you mean the hash value after the connection attempt, that's normal. Also normal for both machines to be cpu:01 - that's to distinguish the CPUs for multi-processor machines.

i mean my user ID # (1CAB516...) is different on the other computer (1CAC412...). maybe that number regenerates every time...i should write it down. once the other computer finishes a work unit, i'm sure i can troubleshoot it. i know i spelled the name the same way.

Edited by rawray7, 14 July 2005 - 12:19 AM.

You, nerfboi, are the suckest gun. -neonerfer

#48 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 14 July 2005 - 01:13 AM

i mean my user ID # (1CAB516...) is different on the other computer (1CAC412...).  maybe that number regenerates every time...i should write it down.  once the other computer finishes a work unit, i'm sure i can troubleshoot it.  i know i spelled the name the same way.

Don't sweat it. I've noticed the same thing on my dozen-plus machines and they all attribute points to me correctly.

Here's a screencap of the point totals, effective about 5 hours ago:

Posted Image

I'd like to welcome The_Trouble to the team and congratulate everyone on reaching 4284th place, another few hundred spots up the list from yesterday. We should break the 4k teams mark tomorrow, but it will be a little tougher to hit 3k. Keep those CPUs cranking!

#49 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 01:30 AM

Hey, it's not quite midnight yet - at least on the Left Coast - so I get to squeeze in today's update just under the bell.

Posted Image

Lets extend a hearty welcome for Andrew_01 who debuts in 14th place among our 16 participants.

We didn't make it to 4000th place today since the competition is getting stiffer as we home in on the decent teams. We did, however, move up 174 places into 4110th out of 39072 teams.

I'd like to congratulate quasar on his third day in 2nd place. I'd also like to congratulate yours truly on reaching the 10,000 point milestone.

If I keep putting distance between myself and the pack, I may have to change the rules of the contest so that someone eventually wins.

Keep on folding!

#50 andrew01

andrew01

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 10:07 AM

Just to let you know, I signed up under the name Andrew01 instead of superintendent. I just use Andrew01 on more forums now and stopped using superintendent. Just wanted to clear up the confusion (if any).

Thanks
changed username from superintendent

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users