Photo

Machine Gun, Part 2... And Other Mods

22 replies to this topic

#1 Starbuck

Starbuck

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 02:18 PM

Here I have some recent projects I have completed and would like to display to the Nerfing community for your viewing and modding pleasure.

First, I was given a Tech Target gun to fool around with. I looked on the web to see what mods I could find, but most required cutting and Dremeling, so I decided against that because it took a lot of time. First, I quickly opened it up removed all of the air restrictors. I took the stock barrel and hammered in a piece of 1/2 inch CPVC the length of the barrel and hot glued the barrel to the plunger tube. I just took a mallet and drive it in. The whole mod took about 5 minutes. The TTG's owner was quite happy with it. It fires out at about 75+ feet with a long of 82 feet.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Next is my personal sidearm. I recently accquired a DT3 Battle Pistol form Flamebo. He had done a wonderful job modding it, and I was quite happy with it. I took the liberty to reglue the brass coupler he had put in there. I also made a new barrel for it. I took 5/8 inch PVC and nested 1/2 inch CPVC in it and glued the new barrel into the brass coupler. Then, I replaced the old spring with a larger Sharpshooter 2 spring. I was very surprised to see it fire a stock micro 80 feet the first shot. The average distance was 83.6 feet with a long of 87 feet. The accuracy testing proved excellent. At 45 feet, I hit a 1.5'x1.5' target 15 out of 15 times.

Posted Image
Posted Image

I was fooling around with an Electric Eel and found it to be "unmoddable" since the screws had an odd triangular shaped head. Just to be stupid, I taped in some 1/2 inch CPVC into the clip. I put in some micros and was pleasantly surprised. I took it outside to see it fire micros at 63 feet consistently.

Posted Image

Now here is the real beauty. I had mounted a Razorbeast on a tripod for defense. It works really well, but as most of you can tell, mobility is none. So, since I have two Razorbeasts, I decided to make the other one a practical mobile heavy machine gun. I took an old box and fashioned it into a smaller box that was big enough to hold about a 50 found belt. I glued on dowel rods to the side. I then mounted 1.5 inch CPVC sections under the Razorbeast where the dowel rods would be placed. Then I loaded up a 50 found belt and slid on the ammo box. I cranked out fifty fast shots. I was well pleased, but... there's always something more to be done. Getting the idea from the Electric Eel clip, I cut 2.5 inch sections of CPVC and wrapped 2 layers of electrical tape around them and hammered them down into the individual sections of my Razorbeast chain to enable it to fire micros. I did this for all 200 sections of my Razorbeast belts. I loaded it all up and took it outside. I cranked out 100 shots and was in awe to see stock micros fire 65+ feet! The box allows for greater mobility with more firepower than before.

Posted Image
The original mounted Razorbeast.
Posted Image
A top view of the Razorbeast.
Posted Image
A side view.
Posted Image
The CPVC box mounting on the bottom of the Razorbeast.
Posted Image
A view from above of sections of belt with CPVC inserts.

I believe now with my modifications, the Razorbeast is finally a practical weapon on today's Nerf battelfield.

I'm sure someone has done the CPVC insertion modifiaction with chain before, but I've never seen it posted. It you have any questions, feel free to ask me or PM me. Hope you all enjoy!
Starbuck, The Noid,
Artemis Arms Armory

#2 NerfLad78

NerfLad78

• Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 02:36 PM

::Applause::

#3 kickass jb

kickass jb

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 02:42 PM

Dude that RB mobile mod is amazing. I have an Rototrack (don't think there is an abbrv for it) and I'm trying to find a way to make a homeamade chain for it, no luck so far.
My arsenal:

RF20, Rototrack, 3x AT3K, 4x AT2K,Big Salvo,SS1,SSII,
2x SSPB,SM 1500,Rangshot,2x EaB,2x Mav,2x NF,
eagle eye,2x BBB,2x SM3000, 2x Tek 6, PC

#4 Half Newb Half Nerfer

Half Newb Half Nerfer

• Members
  • 737 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 03:07 PM

Thats so good it makes me want to kick my mom in the face.
~Halfling

#5 Phantom

Phantom

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 05:57 PM

Wow, that's pretty good! How long does it take to shoot 50 shots? I wish I had some of the the good guns like the RB. Oh, and 1/2 Newb 1/2 Nerfer, what was that supposed to mean?

#6 LiKnSmAkScOmIn

LiKnSmAkScOmIn

• Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 06:05 PM

Very nice work, you turned the once dull Razorbeast into something people will cream their pants for.
Morons With Guns own you.

#7 duce

duce

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 06:25 PM

Sweet Jesus! Wow is all that I can say. I was hesitant about an offer I have on a RB but now I'm sold. I also am now on the lookout for one of those defender pistols. Excellent job!

Holy shit I'm definately going to say that all the time now and add it to my sig. Brilliant.
"Thats so good it makes me want to kick my mom in the face." -Halfling

#8 Starbuck

Starbuck

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 06:41 PM

To fire off 50 shots, it takes about 20 or so seconds. I'm glad you all enjoy my mods.
Starbuck, The Noid,
Artemis Arms Armory

#9 ssgtsiler

ssgtsiler

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 08:14 PM

This mod/gun is pure pwnage. Its the first effective, long ranged rapid fire weapon I have heard of. I WANT ONE! (Yes, I would kick my mom in the face for one)
"War isn't about who's right, it's about who's left"

#10 Beaver Vortex

Beaver Vortex

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 08:17 PM

Maybe you should trying kciking your mom in the face until she buys you one.
I am the Milkman. My milk is delicious.

#11 kickass jb

kickass jb

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 08:20 PM

~Halfling

The who in the what for how many cookies?

Dude, great saying.

And Phantom, I believe Halfing said it to show how astonished he was about the mod(s).
My arsenal:

RF20, Rototrack, 3x AT3K, 4x AT2K,Big Salvo,SS1,SSII,
2x SSPB,SM 1500,Rangshot,2x EaB,2x Mav,2x NF,
eagle eye,2x BBB,2x SM3000, 2x Tek 6, PC

#12 ssgtsiler

ssgtsiler

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 08:22 PM

Nah, that wouldnt happen. Besides, if I had that, I would most likely ruin it in some strange freak accident. It would suck, then I would start kicking MYSELF in the face.
"War isn't about who's right, it's about who's left"

#13 Starbuck

Starbuck

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 12:18 AM

Just got done battle testing it. I used it for two hours and it did not jam once. I was carrying two ammo boxes(I just made another box that hold 50 rounds, as well) for a total of 100 rounds. I was able to repel several attacks of four people as well as siege a base. I had no problem with my mobility, carrying the Razorbeast with ammo box, a spare box with 50 rounds kept in an old army backpack, and a DT3 pistol with 15 rounds in a holster as my sidearm. I killed a total of 15 people (killed 2 people twice). My overall assessment of the new Razorbeast is that it is now a practical heavy assault weapon with good range and excellent rate of fire.
Starbuck, The Noid,
Artemis Arms Armory

#14 foamsmith

foamsmith

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 06:25 AM

Nice job turning the RB into a weapon of war.

Is it more prone to jamming with the extra weight of the cpvc, or does the box completely fix that? What happens to the chain once it leaves the gun? Does it drop off or sink to the floor? That last picture looks like you either used some shorter pieces of cpvc than 2.5", or you drilled out your cpvc to make the ID bigger. Is any of that true?

That's all for now. I like how the removable box adds portability. Good work.

Edited by frank8715, 27 May 2005 - 06:32 AM.

formerly frank8715

#15 Starbuck

Starbuck

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 10:30 AM

Frank, thanks for the comments. The box takes care of the jamming issue, holding all of the weight. The spent chain will just fall to the ground after it has been discharged. That last of the CPVC in the chain does indeed show shorter sections of CPVC, those are probably 2-1.5 inch sections. After cutting 200 sections of CPVC at 12:00 at night, you get tired of cutting, thus making some CPVC sections shorter than others. But, the length doesn't affect performance.
Starbuck, The Noid,
Artemis Arms Armory

#16 foamsmith

foamsmith

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 11:42 AM

That last of the CPVC in the chain does indeed show shorter sections of CPVC, those are probably 2-1.5 inch sections. After cutting 200 sections of CPVC at 12:00 at night, you get tired of cutting, thus making some CPVC sections shorter than others. But, the length doesn't affect performance.

The only reason I brought it up was because in the last picture, the top chain row looks like the ID of the cpvc barrels has been drilled out, or something.
formerly frank8715

#17 J cobbers

J cobbers

• Members
  • 586 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 07:26 PM

Looks like you've got a solid set up for your nerf wars. I put cpvc in a 4 shot modded chain blazer and always been happy with the performance, guessing the Razorbeast has similar performance on a larger scale. I don't think anyone has done cpvc in a nerf chain gun to this scale before.

How is the weight for the gun? Would adding a shoulder strap make it easier to lug around?

Don't forget to eat your meat based vegetable substitute children.

#18 MattPaintballer

MattPaintballer

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 07:28 PM

How is the weight for the gun? Would adding a shoulder strap make it easier to lug around?

That would probably make it easier to shoot and stabalize while shooting, too, thus improving accuracy.

Do you think it would be possible to make your own PVC chainss?
"I think politicians are much more irritating than hippies."
"the56ace,
Your member account at NerfHaven has been temporarily suspended because I don't like you."
-cxwq
If ignorance is bliss, our president must be ecstatic.

#19 Starbuck

Starbuck

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 07:58 AM

Do you think it would be possible to make your own PVC chainss?

Yes, I think it is possible, but it would take a lot of work. You'd have to negotiate a lot of things. However, I think it can be done. I won't have to worry about that, though. :blush: I'd be glad to help anyone who is willing to try.
Starbuck, The Noid,
Artemis Arms Armory

#20 Starbuck

Starbuck

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 11:06 PM

I have a strap for the thing. It indeed does make it easier to carry.
Starbuck, The Noid,
Artemis Arms Armory

#21 The Infinite Shindig

The Infinite Shindig

Arma-what-now?

• Contributors
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 12:16 AM

Starbuck, I think that your two thoughts were close enough in proximity that a simple edit would have been more appropriate than a double post.

I will now digress to my thoughts on this. It looks like a wonderful concept, but I don't see its prctical purpose. However, this could be as a result of my wars being single shot, long range battles. Your weapon wouldn't last 2 minutes in a NJ war unless if you get a decently long range with it. I can just see that mounted set up somewhere at the creek, and someone like Evil taking the gunner out with one shot.

If it works for your rules, great. East Coast style is much more accomodating to automatics, I'm just used to playing West Coast.
Shindig of the Lawn Chair Mafia

<a href="http://www.albinobla.../flash/posting" target="_blank">Posting and You</a>

#22 Starbuck

Starbuck

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 09:22 AM

Infinite Shindig, we play our own style here. We decided to go to a more "realistic" approach rather than run around shooting at each other in a park or everyone setting up a loser nest and trying to shoot the other loser. It works on a squad based level. Several(usually 4-6) small 4-5 man squads (1 loser, 1 heavy weapon man, 2 standard weapons people, and 1 front man) are on a team and have responsibilities such as capping the flag, guarding the base, patrol, ect. Therefore, it is impractical to equip everyone with a long range single shot weapon. My gun is customized for our battles.
Starbuck, The Noid,
Artemis Arms Armory

#23 Half Newb Half Nerfer

Half Newb Half Nerfer

• Members
  • 737 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 10:22 AM

Oh, and 1/2 Newb 1/2 Nerfer, what was that supposed to mean?

http://www.ebaumswor...h/jeopardy.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users