Bandoliers/ammo Storage?

17 replies to this topic

#1 doctorsparkles

doctorsparkles

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 02:13 AM

Hi there,
Please forgive me if this topic has been covered before... I used the search feature and skimmed through about a half year's worth of threads, but found little of interest. Hopefully I didn't miss anything.
I've seen plenty of write-ups for holsters and gun clips, but I was wondering if anybody has come up with a creative way of holding extra ammo during a war-type situation.
I, for one, got tired of running out of ammo completely or not having it in a place where I can quickly and easily get it in the heat of battle. That's why I made a bandolier for myself this afternoon. It's a very simple design, and anybody who can use a pair of scissors can do it. Here's what you need to do it:

- 2 nylon straps - One should be long enough to wrap diagonally across your torso. I used a duffel bag strap so that I could hook the two ends together to make a loop. The second strap needs to be probably about 3/4 the length of the first strap, and should be the same width or narrower.
- Safety pins (You can use a needle and thread instead, if you're daring.)
- Something the same diameter of the ammo you wish to store (I used Crayola markers for micros.)
- Decent scissors

Lay your shorter strap on top of the longer, and pin it where you want your ammo storage to begin (mine starts at my waist and goes up to my shoulder). Put a marker (or whatever you end up using) between the two straps, next to the pin, and form the shorter strap to the shape of the marker. Try to keep the longer strap flat. Now pin the straps so that you have a safety pin on either side of the marker, and you have a perfectly sized dart-holder. Keep doing this until you're satisfied (I would keep the markers in the holders as you go, so that they don't lose their shape), and then cut off any excess nylon off of the shorter strap... and you're done.

I realize that this was an excessively simple write-up, but I felt that it was worth putting out there, in case somebody hadn't thought about doing it. Like I said before, it's incredibly easy, and anybody, regardless of their skill level, can do it.

Keep on keepin' on,
Doctor Sparkles

#2 Oddball

Oddball

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 04:20 AM

I never really actually thought of making one of those..

Well, I think the design could be improved by adding something to keep the little pockets open. I don't know about you guys, but I pick up a lot of ammo in the course of a war, when im on the run or in the half a second while I'm in cover and not shooting at people, you know, those hot and sweaty moments when you notice a dart lying around. It would be a lot easier to get the darts in in a hurry when the pockets are kept open.

Good Idea.

#3 NJNerfer

NJNerfer

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 10:34 AM

If you look through the pics on Boltsnipers Homemade Writeup you will see he also made an ammo holder.
Wah!

#4 navy seal

navy seal

• Members
  • 281 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 10:55 AM

It would be a lot easier to get the darts in in a hurry when the pockets are kept open.

They should stay open because your making loops with the smaller strap and pinning them to the longer strap. I think pockets work better though.
Played in 110 countries
Bigger than rugby
Bigger than snowboarding
Bigger than surfing.......Paintball

#5 doctorsparkles

doctorsparkles

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 11:25 AM

Ah yes, there is a bandolier in boltsniper's write-up... and it's the same exact construction as mine, except that I used safety pins instead of sewing the loops in place (it's much easier to adjust it, in case you made the loops too big or too small).
There are no pockets on mine, just loops, like navy seal said. The only problem that might arise with having loops instead of pockets is that the darts might pop out as you go. Nerf stock darts fit pretty snugly, though some of the off-brand darts are a little loose. That's cool though, because my favorite gun is the Nite Finder, and the darts that don't fit in the bandolier, also won't fit in the gun.
I'd still like to see what other people have done to carry ammo during a war, or do you just carry what can be stored on your gun itself?

#6 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 01:30 PM

Most people seem to stick with their pockets. While it may not be the most convienent thing during a round, some have opted for taping multiple barrels together, other's have tried fanny packs and personally I've actually just carried one or two more in my hand in case I run into an "oh shit" moment.

Decent topic,

Talio.
New posts on my blog, check it out. - Click on the ad too, cause I get money per click. Give back to the Admin team for once!

#7 Pineapple

Pineapple

Old-school Admin

• Contributors
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 01:56 PM

I believe Boltsniper made his bandolier for two reasons; coolness factor for his FAR homemade, and the fact that it uses PVC shells, loaded with a dart each as the transport mechanism from magazine to breech. It'd be clumsy to have a fannypack full of PVC shells and trying to reload the mag under play situations. Not to mention, I think all that PVC would be kind of heavy in the pockets/ waistpack!

As for me, it's a fannypack, or the cargo pockets of my shorts if that's what I'm wearing at the time. Not to mention, as Oddball said, trying to scoop up what they're shooting at you, if they themselves aren't charging you like an angry rhino.

But hey, if the bandolier works for you, more power to ya. Maybe even using elastic instead of the second nylon strap..that way the elastic holds the dart a little more snug (not too snug as to deform the darts) and a quick tug and it's ready to load. Kind of like the Stock Class Paintball CO2/ tube feed holders.

You got me thinking. My son wanted something like that.

-Piney-
-Piney- of White Dog Hobbies Armory

<!--quoteo(post=209846:date=Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM:name=boom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boom @ Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
It's to bad you live in hawaii I bet there are not many wars there.Wait what am I saying<b> you live in hawaii you lucky bastard.</b>
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#8 Ash

Ash

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 07:42 PM

Most people seem to stick with their pockets. While it may not be the most convienent thing during a round, some have opted for taping multiple barrels together, other's have tried fanny packs and personally I've actually just carried one or two more in my hand in case I run into an "oh shit" moment.

Decent topic,

Talio.

Yeah, I tend to keep darts in my pocket with one or two in my hand. The only other ammo holders I ever used are attatched to my guns... that's the only other place I find convenient in a hurry. Most other ammo holders (bandoliers, fannypacks, etc) seem to only slow people down in reloading... maybe I just imagine it, though.
Name's Ash, Housewares

#9 boltsniper

boltsniper

• Contributors
  • 591 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 07:55 PM

For loose darts I just show em in my pockets. I made the bandolier for my homemades because the shells get a bit heavy and bulky when you shove 15 in your pockets. The also clack around making all kinds of noise. It is very easy to grab the rim of a shell and pull it out of the loop with your right hand. Much easier than pulling it out of a pocket and having to orient it in your hand. I finally got the chance to use the bandolier in a few rounds and it makes a world of difference as opposed to having my pockets loaded with em.

The only thing I can possibly imagine be helpful with normal darts would be a pouch of some kind....ie a fanny pack (as gay as that is....). But then you can always jsut wear cargo pants/shorts and use the pockets for the same effect.

I used 1 1/2" elastic to make the loops. The loops are slightly smaller than the shells so when a shell is inserted it stretches the elastic and causes the shell to stay put. Works well unless something hits it...

Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by boltsniper, 24 April 2005 - 07:59 PM.

#10 ssgtsiler

ssgtsiler

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 25 April 2005 - 11:08 AM

For dart storage on guns, I use duct tape holders. I make them by getting a stefan and wrap/roll the duct tape around so the sticky side is up. Then you just bunch em togeather and you put tape over them. They are sort of weak, and you might need to replace them, but they are cheaper and smaller than pvc or pipe holders. (My RF20 can carry 40+20 rounds on itself) For more info look at this image-->Posted Image

As bandoliers go, I find them useless, heavy, and ineffective. One thing is that they cant carry as many darts as you want, unlesss you use duct tape holders. Another is that they get in the way sometimes. On an avarave nerf war, I wear full BDU's (CAMO), which have lots of pockets. I have a RF20 on a strap, my blowgnun and sidearm with leg hoster-->Posted Imageand I have ammo on the blowgun and rf20, and the BDU pockets can carry a bunch too. I also reccomend getting a fishing vest, which has a lot of pockets.
"War isn't about who's right, it's about who's left"

#11 foamsmith

foamsmith

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 25 April 2005 - 11:37 AM

This brassed 1500 is the result of a forest war (not too far from Steamboat Springs) with some of my family and cousins. The bases were about 800' apart, and I'm not a big fan of "ammo in the pocket," so I built this stalk, able to hold 20 extra darts.
Posted Image
formerly frank8715

#12 dark

dark

• Banned
  • 38 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 04:43 PM

man i just use my pockets
"your needed on the bridge sir"
"knock on my door knock next time...Did you see anything"
"no sir i didn't see you playing with your dolls"
"good"
disscussion between dark helmet and colonel sanders

#13 LastManAlive

LastManAlive

• Members
  • 686 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 06:35 PM

Pocket for 50 rounds and the pocketr on backpack for extras.
He came, He saw, and he conquered... But where did everyone go?

#14 Team Slaya

Team Slaya

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 09:08 PM

Frank, how did anyone find each other with 800' away bases? Anyways, I like the stock. Is that 1" PVC you used??

TS

#15 AirApache

AirApache

• Members
  • 743 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 09:25 PM

I also like the stock. What's on the end? I have some spare 1" and 3/4" PVC so I think I'll incorporate that into my sm1500.
Indiana '11

#16 murakumo32

murakumo32

• Members
  • 419 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 06:08 AM

I use the the reversed duct tape thing like ssgtsiler, but I make mine belt form with holsters for pistols like in the 1800's. I saw it on tv while watching the history channel (where I adopt tactics, ideas, and even supplies from). It's fairly quick to take darts out,load, then cock if you're not incredibly fat.

Edited by murakumo32, 06 August 2005 - 06:09 AM.

Nerfing, now fortified with vitamin C!
-or-
100% Nerf, for 100% pwnage.

Nerf is a neutral weapons dealer. Anyone coughing up the dough can get armed.

and they're made of Foam... which makes them very Nerfy...

#17 foamsmith

foamsmith

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 08:47 PM

Frank, how did anyone find each other with 800' away bases? Anyways, I like the stock. Is that 1" PVC you used??

TS

Thank you. that's 1&1/2" pvc.

I also like the stock. What's on the end? I have some spare 1" and 3/4" PVC so I think I'll incorporate that into my sm1500.

The end is just a custom cut block of wood, wrapped in blue tape.
formerly frank8715

#18 MFRnync

MFRnync

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 07:06 AM

I wear an inexpensive set of Modular ALBE's over my BDU. Or I just strap the dump pouch from them to my thigh and it can hold like 80-100 stefan darts. With some of the newer clip mods that are out there the prospect of not carrying ammo loose is looming on the horizon. I dont dress as I do because I feel im delta or some other SF denomination, rather because it looks cool and is effective. You can see from this thread many people incoroporate small bits of milsim in to their nerf wars.

Edited by MFRnync, 09 August 2005 - 07:08 AM.

carpe scrotum- grab life by the balls, sustaining member of the always outnumbered but never outgunned toy gun modifiers guild.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users