Platform Debate

Mac vs. Wintel Round 1

14 replies to this topic

#1 Inlitned1

Inlitned1

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 04 January 2003 - 08:27 PM

Well... what is it? Mac/ Apple... or Microsoft? And are you still bitter about Bungie? Cause I know that I am!!!
Back from the dead
-Shoot first, count bodys later

#2 Evil

Evil

Fucking Copout

• Members
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 04 January 2003 - 08:55 PM

It's Mac for me. Always has been, always will be.
2007 Great American GoreFest Champion (Aug. 4, Apoc)

#3 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 04 January 2003 - 09:18 PM

*Yawn*

Seriously though, does anybody really care about this anymore? I mean, all the modern UIs look exactly the same and we're basically down to VMS and *NIX as the core of every popular OS*

At home I use win2k.

At work I use

win2k: Database server, Exchange servers, Client machines
winXP: Client machines
OSX: Web Server
RedHat/Bastille: Web Server

The other day I read an article (Cringely or Dvorak probably...) noting that Linux desktop managers look too much like Windoze to differentiate themselves. Funny, I just switched to winXP for my main box at work and I was amazed at how much it looks like Linux. I guess it's all in your perspective.

* The team responsible for WinNT (and thus, win2k and winXP) was the primary dev team for DEC/VMS but defected to MS in '89.

#4 Groove

Groove

Certified Badass

• Founders
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 04 January 2003 - 09:56 PM

Hmm..good debate topic.

I personally am in a state of stasis on where I fall with Macs. Good for graphic design, multimedia tools and creations, but...gaming? Eh, I don't know. I'll take my WinXP over a Mac OS any day. Both companies make good products, so I guess it just boils down to a personal preference.

On a side note...Bungie makes good games, but...come on, let's speed up that Halo port, okay? ;]

"Too close for missiles, I'm switchin' to guns"

#5 merlinski

merlinski

• Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 05 January 2003 - 10:38 AM

I currently have a P4 2.4 gHz processor w/ 533 mHz fsb, a Geforce4 Ti4400 graphics card, an asus motherboard, and 256 mg of PC2700 RAM. Might I add that I got all this for something near 600 bucks. If it was possible to get this good of a Mac for this price, I might like them.

#6 Inlitned1

Inlitned1

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 06 January 2003 - 09:58 PM

I will put in my two cents. I was born with a Apple 2c in the crib... well not really, but you get the drift. I use an old school iMac while the rest of the world clings to a OS that can not make use of a Risk based chip. Because of this, the Meggahurtz myth still exist. All I can hope is that game producers will start dual production...
Back from the dead

#7 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 06 January 2003 - 11:09 PM

RISC vs CISC is a bit of a red herring. There's nothing inherrently superior in RISC design. That said, comparing clock cycles for clock cycles between any two architectures is worthless. Intel saw that their architecture and process technology lent itself to higher frequencies so of course they spent some marketing dollars to emphasize the number factor.

The biggest thing Apple fights against, however, is human nature. When the average person wants to buy a computer they look at a few ads and they see 4 categories over and over. Mhz, Mb, Gb, and Inches. It's very easy for Joe and Jane sixpack to assume that these four things are the measure of a computer because that's what CompUSA wants them to do. Since the clock speed is usually listed first, that seems like the most important factor. CompUSA make a tidy profit selling Jane a 2Ghz P4 that will primarily be used for sending out the church bulletin email.

#8 merlinski

merlinski

• Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 07 January 2003 - 08:20 PM

Actually cxwq, I've found that most people (the ones who aren't up to date on technology) really don't care about clock speed, nor know the difference between a 1.5 gHz and 2.5 gHz PC. Most mainly care about whether it will work for their needs, and don't automatically buy things that have the best statistics. Much more enticing to the average consumer is extras like cd burners and flatscreen monitors. Why do you think that Dell (a good example of a John Doe recognizable name) usually goes for low price, cd burner, and cool monitor as opposed to going for the most current processor, fast RAM, and large hard drives. Saying "Pentium 4, cd burner, and geforce graphics card" could mean a P4 1.7, cd burner, and geforce MX. That package for $1000 would get a lot more customers than a P4 2.6, 40x 12x 4x multi-drive, and geforce4 Ti4600 for $2000

#9 GunnedDown

GunnedDown

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 07 January 2003 - 10:01 PM

I just can't stand the single mouse button that Mac mouses have. That drives me nuts. I just, need at least two buttons on my mouse. I really hate the overall look of Macs too, that scheme. It's just, ugly, in my eyes. I'll stick with older windows. I hate XP...
"The occasional hell or damn is ok,
but we do sh*t and F---"

~Webbster, Foam Improvement.

"I got four points... I sackled you"

#10 merlinski

merlinski

• Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 07 January 2003 - 10:17 PM

I just can't stand the single mouse button that Mac mouses have. That drives me nuts. I just, need at least two buttons on my mouse. I really hate the overall look of Macs too, that scheme. It's just, ugly, in my eyes. I'll stick with older windows. I hate XP...

Oh, this brings me to another point, reliability. One of the cardinal complaints against windows is that it crashes a lot. I have had windows xp for probably about a year now, and it has crashed a grand total of 2 times, and that was only during games. Not once when I was running a non-game application. My friend's mac crashes much, much more than my pc does.

#11 Inlitned1

Inlitned1

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 07 January 2003 - 10:27 PM

What was he running Os 9 or X, cause that will make a diffrence. But if you still doubt the power of the mac go to WWW.Apple.Com and see the new power books, Cause DAM!!! But with the clame that Mac's crash more often than PC's I am gonna have to disagree. No matter whose PC it is, that Blue Screen of doom keeps comming back!
Back from the dead

#12 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 08 January 2003 - 12:12 AM

Actually cxwq, I've found that most people (the ones who aren't up to date on technology) [...snip...] Why do you think that Dell (a good example of a John Doe recognizable name)

Here I think you're a bit out of touch with Joe Sixpack.

Joe doesn't go to dell.com to buy a computer, Joe goes to Wal Mart, Best Buy, or (if he's feeling brave) CompUSA.

Joe doesn't buy the latest thing but neither does he buy what will work for his needs. Joe buys a nice safe middle-of-the-line machine because he's heard that these things become obsolete in no time flat. What Joe doesn't realize is that for his use, every computer for sale in any of those stores is more processor than he needs.

You've got to understand that I support a bunch of people at work who have 2+ Ghz P4s at home and 700Mhz Celerons/Durons at work and can't tell the difference for anything they usually do.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#13 merlinski

merlinski

• Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 08 January 2003 - 05:35 PM

Ok, I think that we aren't as much in disagreement as I originally thought. What I meant by dell being a recognizable name is that when someone goes to Best Buy, Circuit City, Comp USA, or what-have-you, they will look for the computer that has a cd burner, flat-screen monitor, and usually a recognizable name (like dell). I don't think that the average Joe knows the difference between a 700 mHz and 2 gHz pc, but I think that goes both ways. Because they don't know the difference, if both pcs are "pentium 4s" and one is $500 cheaper, most people will usually buy the $500 cheaper one without noticing that one is a pentium 4 1.0 and the other is a pentium 4 2.4.

#14 Puddle of Foam

Puddle of Foam

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 23 January 2003 - 10:44 AM

Windows! IMHO, Mac sucks. Have you seen those IMacs? They can't run a game worth shit if they had to.
Do you have the papers...?
No, but I have a big [BLEEP] gun. That's good enough for me!
-Fallout 2

If anyone was wondering, I'm RoboNerfer from NO. And I'm U.n.c.u.T.! on NerfHQ.

#15 Inlitned1

Inlitned1

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 31 January 2003 - 11:20 AM

What iMac are you talking about! The new flat screen ships with a 32mg. Graphics card. And the 800 G4 will run any game out. And besides, apple's can devote a hell of a lot more of the procesior to graphics, and thus a Mac with a 8-16 meg card can run a game that a wintel takes a 32 to run.
Back from the dead

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users