Photo

Xbow Spring

7 replies to this topic

#1 duce

duce

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 30 December 2004 - 04:30 PM

Im going to go all out on my xbow mod by following RawRay's mod here, then customizing it on my own but have hit some snags. I was wondering what sort of replacement spring to use (material, length, gauge, etc). Im sorry if this has been clarified before but I searched on NH and the rest of the internet and found nothing except a defender T3 spring, which I dont have.

Oh Im also having a rough time fitting the support bolts behind the spring compression wall. Should I secure the bolts in place with nuts? I tried but couldn't fit them in. Also, I don't understand the fourth piece of steel plating that he used on the wall, the triangular one. Can someone please give me some help?othing except a defender T3 spring, which I dont have.

Edited by duce, 30 December 2004 - 05:00 PM.

"Thats so good it makes me want to kick my mom in the face." -Halfling

#2 okto

okto

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 30 December 2004 - 05:07 PM

Bolts are kinda overkill...a sheet metal L and triangle behind the spring wall should be plenty.
The triangle goes vertically behind the wall to support it.

#3 duce

duce

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 30 December 2004 - 05:24 PM

Aright, that makes it a bit easier, thanks okto. I still need to know what spring to use.

#4 okto

okto

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 30 December 2004 - 05:28 PM

People have had success finding appropriate springs at ACE hardware. My Xbow has my BBB's spring in it, and it works quite well. I only use the BBB inside anyway, so I didn't need to squeeze every inch of range out of it, and it's a lot quieter with the Xbow spring.

#5 duce

duce

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 30 December 2004 - 07:17 PM

Just wondering, is the triangular piece of steel off the back necessary or not. I already used bolts and covered the front of the wall with metal.

#6 rawray7

rawray7

• Members
  • 549 posts

Posted 31 December 2004 - 03:39 PM

Im going to go all out on my xbow mod by following RawRay's mod here, then customizing it on my own but have hit some snags. I was wondering what sort of replacement spring to use (material, length, gauge, etc). Im sorry if this has been clarified before but I searched on NH and the rest of the internet and found nothing except a defender T3 spring, which I dont have.

Oh Im also having a rough time fitting the support bolts behind the spring compression wall. Should I secure the bolts in place with nuts? I tried but couldn't fit them in. Also, I don't understand the fourth piece of steel plating that he used on the wall, the triangular one. Can someone please give me some help?othing except a defender T3 spring, which I dont have.

very good questions, both that were only answered by my experience after i wrote that mod.

1:don't replace the spring. no one has ever found a decent replacement for it.

2: the triangular metal piece on the trigger is overkill, don't do that either. what you should do if your having trouble with the trigger being weak (which is why i added that triangle piece), take a spring from any airtech or supermaxx trigger and use that and the regular trigger spring. (the airtech springs fit inside the xbow trigger spring, and make the gun easier to fire).

3: i dont really know how to answer your bolt question. if your bolt isnt' secure because you can't fit a nut, try a smaller bolt. one thing that neonerfer did to solve this problem was to use longer bolts, and run them the whole way through the case (both sides) and put the nut on the outside of the case.

edit:
sorry, i thought you meant the triangle piece on the trigger, and i answered that in nuber 2. for the triangular piece behind the compression wall, i think you can get away without it given that you have bolts in place. if you don't have bolts, i'd go for the triangle behind the compression wall.

edit2: when i say don't replace the spring, i mean don't replace the spring. in fact, don't bother stretching the spring either - unless your adding less than a half inch to the length. DO use bands or bungees. i use 3 strings of 5 rubber bands tied together, but neonerfer found this really neat green elastic band at home depot that i can't find the name of right now. if you can find that, its way better than rubber bands.

Edited by rawray7, 31 December 2004 - 03:49 PM.

You, nerfboi, are the suckest gun. -neonerfer

#7 Viper

Viper

• Members
  • 611 posts

Posted 01 January 2005 - 02:19 AM

Rawray could very well be speaking of surgical tubing, which can be bought from any medical store and outfitted on a crossbow until the cocking mechanism goes. I've been telling people for a while that looking for a spring is worthless, being as the high-elasticity springs are only good for toys, which there isn't a big market at ACE or ACO. Surgical tubing can be bought online and is usually about $1 a foot.

#8 Nerfdude

Nerfdude

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 01 January 2005 - 07:53 PM

i'm assuming your bolts go through the outer casing, right? if so, what's the problem? you're going to need to take pics for us... i did bolts when i did my xbow about 6 years ago, with no steel plating inside, and the compression plate is still in working order. this week or next i'll be ripping it apart again to completely rebuild her... but, if memory serves me properly, i used 1/4"x3" bolts on her, with a phillips head on one side, and then wingnuts on the other to hold it in place... with washers on the outside of the casing. this time around, i'll be epoxying steel plate to the outside of the case around the bolt holes (and pretty much down the entire side of the gun, but that's another topic), then using locking washers, as i found my bolts would loosen over time... also will be using steel sleeves where the bolts go through the casing, so as to prevent myself from crushing the case by overtightening the nuts. it's gonna rock.
-Nerfdude Classic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users