Indb Hosting

Anyone? Basically Finished!

49 replies to this topic

#1 taita cakes

taita cakes

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 02:55 AM

Okay, so apart from working out some bugs and adding some extra features, the main body of the INDB is completed.

For now i have to search for someone willing to host the website, remembering it will feature a requirement for PHP, mySQL and the other basic hosting requirements. You must also remember this thing will contain a large database [eventually] and will need to support a reasonable bandwith of people visiting.

I'll post screeners and teasers in a day or two, just gotta sort out some layout issues. It's looking pretty good.

I'm also going to need some area managers. I'm going to be the sole Australian managers, but due to the vast expanse of American nerfers, we'll have to have like one manager for north california, a couple for southern california, and various others for the hot areas like New Jersey [i think?].

That's about all i have to say. If you guys want this done, then your going to have to put out yourself and host me.

From you Australian neighbour,
Tait. Posted Image
Oh Kentucky, you are so fuggin awesome...

#2 taita cakes

taita cakes

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 05:43 AM

*Bump*

Image is almost full screen so i'll give you a link. Complies with photobucket rules so is under 250kb [just]. I think its looking pretty good.

Click Here.

#3 okto

okto

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 02:31 PM

i can manage the southwest US (Texas/Oklahoma/New Mexico) area for you. not terribly many nerfers here, i'm afraid :/

the interface looks good, btw. good enough that i tried to click the linkies ;)

Edited by okto, 04 October 2004 - 02:31 PM.

#4 One Man Clan

One Man Clan

TOFTS

• Contributors
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 05:04 PM

I would be willing to manage NJ, due to my affiliation with no single clan, and moderate amount of free time.
I hate you.

#5 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 05:16 PM

Hey, whoa now. If there's anyone who has way too much free time around here, it's ME.

You can poop in my toilet anytime champ.

2016 Nerf War Schedule
Bless you, my son. Now recite 3 New Members Guides and 5 Code of Conducts for your sins.

#6 taita cakes

taita cakes

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 07:51 PM

Thanks for the props. Its more hosting that im worried about for the moment.

#7 VeggieBoy 3000

VeggieBoy 3000

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 09:01 PM

Sorry, Can't help ya with hosting, but I can manage Michigan (2 clans+ a few miscellaneous nerfers) and maybe the rest of the midwest for ya.
Go NAVY! Beat ARMY!

#8 Gamefreak

Gamefreak

• Members
  • 362 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 09:51 PM

I could help with Socal.
Gamertag : Corpseoftheyear

QUOTE(substance abuse)
No offense but soldat has to be the worst game ever made
Like anyone could even know that, GOSH.

#9 taita cakes

taita cakes

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 05 October 2004 - 01:01 AM

You guys are champions for all this. I've sort of explained to langley in a PM, but i'll outline the moderator role and method in a later time. I still have to decide on the method of registration. It was originally that the mods are sent requests from nerfers and add them themselves [using a createaccount form], but its really quite arduous. I'm contemplating adding a simple "approve account" function. Then, the mods merely have to fix basic spelling errors and such, and, *sha-zamm*

Hmmmmmmm, i wonder if this will count as a contribution :rolleyes: ;)

I'm hoping either NH or NHQ or NC or NE [or someone else] can host me, as they already meet the requirements for hosting, and as prominant figures in the NIC, they should understand the concept of giving a little to get a little.

#10 taita cakes

taita cakes

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 04:53 AM

Allright, i hadn't actually loaded the teaser until now, because im on 56k.

I just noticed that its lost a lot of detail. The header with the pager styled INDB text actually has a scan lines background and everything, while the section with coming soon is a table with the background a dark grey-ee/blue.

On another note, Langley has made an awesome suggestion of deviant art styled "nearest deviants" sort of thing, where using long and lat it calculates your nearest nerfers. Just awesome. I'll probably factor it in many updates later, but its a high possibility.

Cheers.

Note: excuse the double post, but its more of a *bump* and i know what i'm doing here.

#11 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 11:11 AM

Not to be completely obtuse or off-topic, but where is the deviant locator thingy? I just spent a few minutes signing up for an account there and looking around for it...
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#12 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 12:03 PM

If you want a similar example go to geocaching.com and search for a cache by zip code. It will give you a bunch of caches (which are boxes that you look for with a gps based on Longitude and Lattitude cordinates) listed by proximity and their distance to the zip you typed in.

You can poop in my toilet anytime champ.

2016 Nerf War Schedule
Bless you, my son. Now recite 3 New Members Guides and 5 Code of Conducts for your sins.

#13 Dark1337

Dark1337

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 03:38 PM

How much bandwidth would you need? Could it be nerfhome.com/indb ?

#14 taita cakes

taita cakes

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 08:20 PM

WOW, some results for actual hosting.

I'm not entirely sure bandwith wise. The site will use a mySQL database, and thats about the only major "thing" that can effect anything like bandwith. Its up to you webmasters to determine this.

CX, i really hope you could host the INDB, remember, if you want the NIC to progress, you'll probably have to make a few sacrafices yourself.

For an example of location finding stuff, check this out [rupske is the guy the guy i mentioned with the triple-strike], deviant uses Map-o-rama too find its long + lat

#15 Dark1337

Dark1337

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 09:25 PM

I might be able to host it (http://www.nerfhome.com ) if a nerfhome.com/indb, or indb.nerfhome.com is ok. Do you think it would get to be over 10 gigs a month?

#16 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 11:11 PM

CX, i really hope you could host the INDB, remember, if you want the NIC to progress, you'll probably have to make a few sacrafices yourself.

Feh. You do realize I only get one database, right? An account with more than one DB runs about double what I'm paying.

Lemme look into something and maybe we can talk. You'd have to be willing to work with the DB structs I already have though, and just focus on the front end. I think I already have sufficient fields in the user profile to store lat and long.

#17 Dark1337

Dark1337

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 07 October 2004 - 12:05 AM

Actually, I probably won't be able to host it, never mind.

#18 taita cakes

taita cakes

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 07 October 2004 - 04:11 AM

Feh. You do realize I only get one database, right? An account with more than one DB runs about double what I'm paying.

Lemme look into something and maybe we can talk. You'd have to be willing to work with the DB structs I already have though, and just focus on the front end. I think I already have sufficient fields in the user profile to store lat and long.

I'll speak to my person. He should be able to sort something out. I think we should be able to get both on the one database. It's just, will that mean all users will have to register to the forums as a result [speaking of user profiles and such].

Darkie, no great loss, thanks for the offer.

EDIT: Spoke to the coding god crimson, he said it shouldnt be hard at all to do that on the one database. Heres a couple of lines from the chat.

[19:38] <crimson> 
function startup_database($database_name)
{
  $db_username = '[hidden]'; //username of the database
  $db_password = '[hidden]'; //password of the database
  $db_hostname = 'localhost'; //normally localhost unless the database is on another server
  $db_connect = mysql_connect($db_hostname, $db_username, $db_password) or die ('The sql database is currently down, please try again later (error: connecting)');
  mysql_select_db($database_name, $db_connect) or die ('The sql database is currently down, please try again later (error: selecting)');
  return($db_connect);
}
[19:38] <crimson> just change the $db_hostname on that to what ever the server is

*sha-zaam*

Edited by taita_cakes, 07 October 2004 - 05:00 AM.

#19 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 07 October 2004 - 10:40 AM

Those are just connection strings, they don't have anything to do with sharing a database.

The best way to put them both in one database would be to share the same tables and integrate it into NH. I had been planning to do just that myself at some point, though only for folks in the states. If you are willing to work out the integration, I don't have to do it myself and NH gets the international version.

The other option would be to use table prefixes to seperate the two structs but I'd rather not add so much duplicate information into my DB because it's already too large to dump/read properly - I get timeouts when converting to SQL.

The above shouldn't be taken to mean that I don't have a backup.

I'm only interested in a forum userbase integrated nerfer locator. I'd rather leverage the data we already have and let people update their wherabouts themselves. If that doesn't fall within what you want to do, that's cool and best of luck to you.

#20 Dark1337

Dark1337

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 07 October 2004 - 11:26 AM

Actually, I might be able to host it, if you need the database, I would have to make all the tables, unless it automatcally makes them (like phpbb) bandwidth and space prolly won't be a problem.

#21 taita cakes

taita cakes

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 07 October 2004 - 08:07 PM

I'll seriously have to get crimson to have a look at what you're all saying.
I know that was only the connection code, but he said it should actually be rather easy. C, i better understand what you're offering now, but it's a bit of a compromise from the original plan/mission.

I'll quote some of this info accross to him and see what he says. Personally i would like to keep to the original concepts and get it hosted as a sole project, not tieing in with forum users and such.

Dark1337, i've visited your site, and basically, your forum doesnt offer anything different to any other site out there [no offence, its just the truth] so i can't see you getting a very large user base. Hosting the INDB on a less populated DB is probably the better option.

I love you have your babies?

#22 taita cakes

taita cakes

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 12 October 2004 - 01:23 AM

Hey all, as exams and such are approaching, myself, and more importantly, the uber coder crimson will be a bit slow in completing the site. We're basically finished, just adding some extra tid-bits that will make the admin role of this much much easier, and many other cool features.

Next time i get a chance, i'll have a look-see at the overall features of the site and make a list of the general workings and stuff.

In the mean time, Dark1337, i have an out-there proposition to make. Although crimson will be willing to code the INDB to co-exist with your current forum and database, [its just a matter of creating more tables and such], it would be much much easier if he had the database to himself. Considering the only thing that uses your database is a small forum, i would like to ask you to consider the existance of it. Do the forums really offer anything different to any other nerf site out there? Is there any purpose to keeping them? Will they be missed?

I know you've copped a lot of flak for having "another" nerf forum, and i know this has probably come accross as a rude message, but i just have to ask. Otherwise, it's just going to take a lot more effort and time to complete the site...

#23 Dark1337

Dark1337

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 12 October 2004 - 10:02 AM

You need your own database? Well I can have multible databases, I already have 3-7.

#24 taita cakes

taita cakes

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 12 October 2004 - 07:59 PM

HOLY SHIT!! ^_^

Well thats basically solved it. I'll speak to crimson.

#25 Dark1337

Dark1337

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 18 October 2004 - 09:08 PM

Ok, I would have to set up the database, and tables, will that be a problem?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users