NerfHaven: The BEST upgrade motor for the Stryfe (after extensive testing) is... - NerfHaven

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The BEST upgrade motor for the Stryfe (after extensive testing) is...

#1 User is offline   0reo 

• Group: Members
  • State:NULL (No Answer)

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:15 AM

Just for my own entertainment I've probably spent $200 on trying different motors in the Stryfe. Some were so inadequate they weren't even worth installing for a trial. Some performed well but at four times the price of the Stryfe itself not including the cost of exotic LiPo batteries, relays, rewiring with heavy gage wire, modifying the battery compartment, etc. One unlikely pair of motors gave me 90ft PTG, 100fps+ muzzle velocity, operate wonderfully on both the original wiring and regular old rechargeable AA batteries, and cost a whopping $2.25ea. Given the performance per dollar and minute spent of these motors it's a fools errand to look any further. (Not that I judge anyone for going on fools errands. This entire project was one for me.)

Here's the link:

http://www.pololu.co...log/product/611

For the record I am not affiliated in any way with either the motor manufacturer or the linked vendor.

Install and be merry. Happy Nerfing folks!
-Oreo

EDIT TO ADD: By "original wiring" I was mainly speaking of the wire gage and the switches. I did remove the thermistors or whatever those things are called on the OE motors.

This post has been edited by 0reo: 01 February 2013 - 10:19 AM

#2 User is offline   andtheherois 

• State:New Jersey

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:18 AM

Does this fit as a simple drop in or does the shell have to be modified?
The YooToobz
Photobucket

Gears said:

Winning rounds is rewarding, deal with it. We don't play fucking patty cake over here.

#3 User is offline   Coop 

• State:Florida

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:31 AM

How do these motor handle rapid fire shooting? Do they have enough torque to handle multiple shots without decreasing in RPM too much?

#4 User is offline   0reo 

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:40 AM

These are 130 size motors so no modification is necessary. They drop right in.

They handle rapid fire very well. You can of course get a little bit more performance from other motors but the cost both in terms of dollars, time, and effort goes up dramatically. Not worth it IMHO. These motors give you 90%+ of the performance of the strongest motors made in this size at 1% of the cost.

#5 User is offline   HasreadCoC 

• State:Kentucky

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:56 AM

Very cool; this is what we love to see from new members.

Any chance we could get a video of your finalized Stryfe in action?

Daniel Beaver, on 07 October 2012 - 06:07 AM, said:

I'm the only respectable person here. The rest of the NIC are pretty much just child molesters.

AKA: ObiWonTwo on Nerfrevolution, and most of the rest of the internet for that matter.....

#6 User is offline   0reo 

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:07 AM

View PostHasreadCoC, on 01 February 2013 - 09:56 AM, said:

Very cool; this is what we love to see from new members.

Any chance we could get a video of your finalized Stryfe in action?

Yea, I've been meaning to do a vid but haven't gotten around to it. It's been a real busy week for me. I also took the Solarbotics motors (linked above) out to try some super-ultra-hot AtomicMods motors (which perform nice but ask too much of AA batteries) so I don't have a Stryfe with the Solarbotics motors installed right now. Either way, take my word for it. It's probably <$10 delivered to your door for a pair of these. You won't be disappointed.

Keep in mind... I ran the Solarbotics motors on Eneloop AAs. I didn't even try Trustfires. These Solarbotics motors are rated for up to 9v. If the Trustfires can deliver the current these motors ask at that voltage there might be even more performance on tap. Disposeable Lithium AAs might give an extra volt for a little more performance too. These motors do so well on good NiMH AAs that you have to question whether it's worth the price of the fancy batteries. I think it's probably not.

This post has been edited by 0reo: 01 February 2013 - 10:26 AM

#7 User is offline   Ivan S 

• State:Virginia

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:30 AM

Wow, those are amazing!

Would you say these are the best motors for all flywheel nerf blasters? To my knowledge they all use 130 size motors.
You can never take nerf too seriously, but you can easily take yourself too seriously.
~Talio

#8 User is offline   0reo 

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:55 AM

IMHO, these are the best motors for any flywheel nerf gun that runs on 4 AAs.

There are much faster stronger 130 motors but its the fact that these run so well on AAs that really make them exceptional. That and the fact that the darts really do seem to crap out beyond a certain muzzle velocity. (Too much fishtailing / aerodynamic instability makes them not travel as far even in spite of a higher MV) The darts work real well at the 100fps these motors fling them. I'm not sure how much faster they can go and remain stable but I think this is pretty close to the limit. Had tons of that problem with the AtomicMods motors.

#9 User is offline   HasreadCoC 

• State:Kentucky

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:31 PM

View Post0reo, on 01 February 2013 - 11:55 AM, said:

That and the fact that the darts really do seem to crap out beyond a certain muzzle velocity. (Too much fishtailing / aerodynamic instability makes them not travel as far even in spite of a higher MV)

This is where stefans (or other homemade darts) come into play.

I'd love to see someone design a 120ft-130ft flat firing compact fly-wheel blaster that uses hopper clips and easily-obtainable long-lasting rechargeable batteries, something like a drill battery, or such. Then, due to the fact that there would be no effective "deadspace" in the clips (as you wouldn't be using air power) we could have 10, 15, heck even 20 foot long clips. I could see some crazy base-defense gametypes coming out of that. Like a vulcan with super-extended chains, but better range, more accurate, and more ammo potentially.

Daniel Beaver, on 07 October 2012 - 06:07 AM, said:

I'm the only respectable person here. The rest of the NIC are pretty much just child molesters.

AKA: ObiWonTwo on Nerfrevolution, and most of the rest of the internet for that matter.....

#10 User is offline   BlackBoarderV 

• State:England

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:31 PM

Hang on a second, You got those ranges with stock voltage? I fear what Coop people are going to achieve with these. Great find.
Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon, Wish you were Here, Meddle.
Led Zeppelin 4, Physical Graffiti.

#11 User is offline   Draconis 

• State:Oregon

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:48 PM

Ordered six, $17ish to my door. I'll be happy to verify these stats in about a week.
[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#12 User is offline   0reo 

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:48 PM

Ok, so I had a few hours to screw around with this today. Got some interesting results with the ballistic chronograph. On NiMH AAs I clocked one dart at 130fps!! On the other hand, I connected up 2 A123 systems LiFePO4 batteries which can deliver 6-7v and plenty of amperage. I started getting really inconsistent muzzle velocity, but mostly less then with the lower voltage. Looks like I might have to concede that the flywheels may in fact be slipping on the darts.

My AtomicMods motors blaster started having other serious problems. Haven't had a chance to trouble shoot it yet.

#13 User is offline   azrael 

• State:California

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:08 PM

Neat. Might get a second Stryfe just to compare it.
Better Nerf By Science!
http://nerfscience.blogspot.com/

#14 User is offline   Mully 

• State:California

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:51 PM

View Post0reo, on 01 February 2013 - 02:48 PM, said:

flywheels slipping on the darts.

Plastidip maybe?

This post has been edited by Mully: 01 February 2013 - 03:52 PM

S.C.U.N.

#15 User is offline   Modded Brain 115 

• Location:The center of the observable universe (Atlanta, Georgia)
  • State:Georgia

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:53 PM

Is the link for the left or right motor?
(\__/)
(+'.'+) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your profile to help him gain world domination.
(")_(") (yes i found this on another profile)

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users