Glue Free Clothes Pin Trigger!

Updated Clothes Pin trigger.

10 replies to this topic

#1 DoorMatt404

DoorMatt404

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:11 PM

This is just an update to the well known Clothes Pin trigger. While making homemade Nerf guns my clothes pin trigger would always fail after a few times of priming the plunger, either the nail would come loose, wasn't strong enough for the spring, or the glue wouldn't hold. So I came up with a glue free clothes Pin trigger, enjoy!

Posted Image

As you see there is the clothes pin, the actual trigger cut from a piece of metal, a bolt, a star washer, the nut, and the zip-tie is just to keep the metal trigger from moving on the clothes pin.This trigger is glue free and very strong. All that must be done to this now is to cut the bolt down and grind off the threads to smooth it out, and then it will be ready to go!

Posted Image

Edited by DoorMatt404, 24 January 2013 - 09:46 PM.

If it's wroth shooting once, then its worth shooting twice.

#2 HasreadCoC

HasreadCoC

• Members
  • 274 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:15 PM

You should use the IMG tags so your picture displays. It's easy, just click the little photo-of-a-tree icon just above what you're typing when you're posting. Just paste the link in, and it does the rest. Lemme show you:

This is just an update to the well known Clothes Pin trigger. While making homemade Nerf guns my clothes pin trigger would always fail after a few times of priming the plunger, either the nail would come loose, wasn't strong enough for the spring, or the glue wouldn't hold. So I came up with a glue free clothes Pin trigger, enjoy! Posted Image As you see there is the clothes pin, the actual trigger cut from a piece of metal, a bolt, a star washer, the nut, and the zip-tie is just to keep the metal trigger from moving on the clothes pin. Posted Image This trigger is glue free and very strong. All that must be done to this now is to cut the bolt down and it will be ready to go!

I'm the only respectable person here. The rest of the NIC are pretty much just child molesters.

AKA: ObiWonTwo on Nerfrevolution, and most of the rest of the internet for that matter.....

#3 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:34 PM

Wait a minute...you're using a threaded bolt for the catchpin? How is that even working?

1) Those threads will cause ruinous friction in the pin hole if the hole is anywhere near small enough.
2) If the hole is large enough to the point where the threads don't cause friction, you'll be transferring way too much force to the clothespin itself, causing it to pop off.

No matter what, you're most likely working way too hard.

Whenever I make a CPT, my nail isn't even glued into the clothespin, it's held in with an angle iron ziptied over the top of it. The base of the clothespin can either be screwed to the plunger, or glued down. You actually don't want the nail to be solidly attached to the clothespin, as the nail should be moving straight up and down. Since the clothespin moves in an arc, the nail needs to be somewhat loose.

And yes, like HRCoC says, please use img tags to embed pictures in your post.

[img]http://www.myimageURL.com/123.jpg[/img]

Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#4 DoorMatt404

DoorMatt404

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:49 PM

Sorry, i can only make 2 posts a day, and still kinda trying to figure out how to do things here, I'm working on the picture thing. and I forgot to say that I grind off the threads on the bolt so it is smaller and smooth. as for the other things; This trigger works fine with my homemade, and i haven't had any problems with it. We all have our own ways :)

Edited by DoorMatt404, 23 January 2013 - 12:57 PM.

#5 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:03 PM

Yeah, grinding off the threads would make a huge difference. And true, we all have our own ways. However, I'm just saying that the problems you're describing (clothespin popping off, nail not strong enough) are indicative of an improperly drilled plunger tube, and not a failing of the CPT itself.
Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#6 ThatBritishGuy

ThatBritishGuy

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:30 PM

I dont know how they make them in the US, but the roofing nails that I use in the UK have some small ridges near the head that hold it perfectly rigidly in the clothespin body without compromising the original function, i.e. allowing the clothespin to pivot while the nail only moves in a vertical plane. I also use a large head nail which i can just put through a hole in one of my angle bracket, which then barely needs a ziptie to stay on.
My sales thread

Any Blaster mod or homemade that I post I can commission. Send me a PM on NerfHaven or BritNerf or email me by sam@lusher.org.uk

#7 Zorns Lemma

Zorns Lemma

Sir Scrt

• Moderators
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:46 PM

Yeah, grinding off the threads would make a huge difference. And true, we all have our own ways. However, I'm just saying that the problems you're describing (clothespin popping off, nail not strong enough) are indicative of an improperly drilled plunger tube, and not a failing of the CPT itself.

Just to re-emphasize because most new SNAP builders miss this point; the load bearing force on the catch is not in the CPT -- the clothespin is only a trigger mechanism for the nail. The strength comes from the yield strength of the nail and the resistance to compression provided by the plunger tube.

Carbon made a graphic of this but I can't figure out what to Google-site-search for or find it in any of the directories.
"In short, the same knowledge that underlies the ability to produce correct judgement is also the knowledge that underlies the ability to recognize correct judgement. To lack the former is to be deficient in the latter."
Kruger and Dunning (1999)

#8 Ryan201821

Ryan201821

Prince Edward

• Contributors
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:12 PM

Carbon made a graphic of this but I can't figure out what to Google-site-search for or find it in any of the directories.

Pretty pictures!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Courtesy of Carbon. Thread is available for viewing, here.

Edited by Ryan201821, 23 January 2013 - 03:14 PM.

#9 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:00 PM

You know, though... If you were to still use a screw, but use either flat head or oval head style, and the elongate the hole in the lever half of the clothespin, the nail/screw could actually slide in the slot instead. Take all this with a grain of salt, though, as I have yet to actually attempt this style of trigger.
[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#10 DoorMatt404

DoorMatt404

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:29 PM

Just to re-emphasize because most new SNAP builders miss this point; the load bearing force on the catch is not in the CPT -- the clothespin is only a trigger mechanism for the nail. The strength comes from the yield strength of the nail and the resistance to compression provided by the plunger tube.

Thanks, I will keep in mind all you have said. But, the main point I was making was that I had problems with the glue itself, and therefore I have created a solution to my personal problem. I thought to share it, just in-case someone else has stumbled across this issue. I'll post pics of my homemade when it is finished if anyone would like to see it.

#11 Zorns Lemma

Zorns Lemma

Sir Scrt

• Moderators
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:01 PM

Thanks, I will keep in mind all you have said. But, the main point I was making was that I had problems with the glue itself, and therefore I have created a solution to my personal problem. I thought to share it, just in-case someone else has stumbled across this issue. I'll post pics of my homemade when it is finished if anyone would like to see it.

I prefer mechanical fastening too. Just keep in mind that the clothespin is only a trigger mechanism and the retention power in the catch comes from lateral forces.
"In short, the same knowledge that underlies the ability to produce correct judgement is also the knowledge that underlies the ability to recognize correct judgement. To lack the former is to be deficient in the latter."
Kruger and Dunning (1999)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users