Elite direct plunger retrofit into Recon

It is backwards compatible with minor adjustments

6 replies to this topic

#1 Solscud007

Solscud007

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:53 AM

Elite Retaliator and Rampage are already on the shelf at my local Toys R Us. I picked up one of each. I like the Retaliator's performance compared to the Recon. The blaster gets respectable distances and is not loud and does not require overly strong springs.

I then decided to try and retrofit the direct plunger system into my clear recon. I like the clear recon as a test subject. It makes it easy to spot troublesome areas when modifying and fitting parts since I can see directly inside when I close the shell.

Well I got it to work. It is very easy and does not ruin the recon shell from using the factory components if you choose to revert back to factory settings.

Posted Image

You will need:

Elite Bolt
Elite Plunger tube
Elite Plunger
Elite spring
Elite catch plate and spring

Optional but recommended:
Dart tooth assembly from retaliator.

Basically you need to do two things. Fit the plunger system and reduce the hole in the back for the smaller diameter spring.

I used a piece of spare kydex. I drilled a hole that is just wide enough for the plunger to fit through, but small enough for the spring to rest on. I also used half of a Sch40 PVC 1/2 inch coupler just as a spring guide so the spring doesnt move around. If you look at the inside of the Elite shell, the area where the spring rests has the surrounding area filled with supports. This is what the coupler is for.

Posted Image

It took me a little bit of analysis of the recon shell and the plunger tube. But basically the plunger tube has to be able to move. If you open the elite retaliator and study the movement of the direct plunger system, the plunger tube moves back about 1/8 of an inch and into the catch plate. The catch plate has a circular cut to allow the plunger tube to retract into it.

So you need to trim these areas of the shell to accommodate this movement. Make sure you do this to the opposite side as well.

Posted Image
Posted Image

This area you need to enlarge the first hole. So trim the circumference larger.
Posted Image

Here is a picture of what I used. I forgot to mention that I swapped in the elite dart tooth assembly. It is a better setup. Similar to the Alpha Trooper and is a perfect drop in upgrade. No modifcation needed. The black plate is what keeps the spring from falling back out into the stock area. I made cuts to accommodate the screw posts and trimmed the inside of the shell for the plate.
Posted Image

Edited by Solscud007, 20 July 2012 - 08:55 AM.

#2 hamoidar

hamoidar

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:12 AM

Great job! This mod makes those of us who have "special" recons(sonic-clear-whiteout) able to get elite preformance from them. Do you think this could be done with the raider and rampage?
NerfHaven > Your control panel > Profile > Change Signature > Inserts dumb sig > What! No pictures! > Inserts next best thing: http://nerfhaven.com...howuser=114052' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Best thing on Nerfhaven!

#3 Solscud007

Solscud007

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:42 AM

Great job! This mod makes those of us who have "special" recons(sonic-clear-whiteout) able to get elite preformance from them. Do you think this could be done with the raider and rampage?

I think so. I will have to check my Raider/Rampage. I like Clear Raiders and it would be great to have Rampage performance.

I tried opening my AT and the problem is the catch plate. The Elite catch plate is rather different and cant be used in the AT or LSTK. A new catch plate would have to be made.

Here is a pic I just took of my Reconilator.

Posted Image

Edited by Solscud007, 20 July 2012 - 11:43 AM.

#4 abowden

abowden

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 11:35 AM

I thought "wouldn't it be cool to transplant retaliator internals into a clear recon shell" and you sir have read my mind it seems, great job, that is one purdy piece of equipment. :)
seriously we all thought about it and props on being the first person to actually do it.

#5 Solscud007

Solscud007

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 02:53 PM

Here is a video of it working.

#6 jon evans

jon evans

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 12:29 PM

could you somehow put the retaliator internals into a longstrike shell? or is the longstrike shell wider than a recon or retaliator?
USER WAS WARNED FOR THIS POST

Use of the shift key is required on these boards. Code of Conduct

Edited by Zorn's Lemma, 31 August 2012 - 02:05 PM.

#7 imtig3rman

imtig3rman

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:11 PM

This looks nice I have a m-4 style recon I want to try with it. Thanks for the write up!!
USER WAS WARNED FOR THIS POST

Please stop posting in month old threads. Reread the New Members Guide

Edited by Zorn's Lemma, 21 December 2012 - 10:09 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users