NerfHaven: Magstrike Modded for external air supply and PVC airtank warning - NerfHaven

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Magstrike Modded for external air supply and PVC airtank warning Spin off of Captain Slug's Mod

#1 User is offline   jediaelthewise 

• Group: Members
  • State:Maine

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:27 PM

Update: The mod is completed. Details and pictures on page 2.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am doing a variation of a mod by Captain Slug on my magstrike. (Thanks by the way for your tutorials!)

This will be my HvZ loadout for next fall's game.

WARNING ON PVC AIR TANKS:

I am not going the PVC tank route because PVC is NOT RATED FOR AIR PRESSURE. THe rating on PVC pipe is rated for WATER PRESSURE. Water pressure and air pressure have different properties and you cannot put the same air pressure as its water pressure rating. IT IS NOT THE SAME. It's dangerous because the PVC can shatter, explode and send shrapnel flying and really hurt or even kill someone. I asked for advice on this mod from my dad and his coworker who are working on the latest nuclear power plant project in north carolina so these guys are all very high level engineers. Their advice was to go with a prefabricated tank built for air pressure to be safest. I trust their advice and so I'm passing that warning onto you guys. DON'T MAKE PVC AIR TANKS.

Anyways, here is the tank I plan on buying and using for a portable supply.

Posted Image

For the four ports I will have:
1. A gauge directly on the tank to monitor air pressure
Posted Image
2. A safety valve to bleed air if it gets over compressed above 100PSI
Posted Image
3. A 1/4in screw on air inlet valve that can be filled with an automatic tire pump
Posted Image
4. Quick disconnect (Female end goes onto the tank)
Posted Image

The Gun end will have the quick disconnect male end, a regulator to change air flow and then the modded gun itself.

I am looking to modify a 2nd magstrike so I can dual wield them for the game so when I do the second one I will update this thread with a walk thru of the gun mod.

I plan on running the system at 100PSI make. Air regulators are capable of slipping air pressure so I do not want to exceed the pressure rating of my coupling and hose which is 100PSI. The magstrike CAN run at 100PSI but I'm afraid of the plastic parts breaking from such a high fire rate. I also don't feel like emptying the entire magazine in 1 trigger squeeze anyways so I can conserve ammo.

I only needed 3 parts from mastermccar for this project. I removed the pump internals and used coupling 9087K61 from the mccar catalog with this hose 5006K64.
The coupling attaches the internal hose to the external hose. I cut a circle notch and made it smooth with a soldering gun to place the coupling in a stable solid position as shown here.

Posted Image

I bought 10 feet of the hose and cut 2 4 foot length for the gun to regulator sections. I bought this 1/4 threaded push to connect fitting (MCCarr 9087K12) for the other end of the hose to connect to the regulator.

Here is a video of me testing the gun.

I'll be sure to update this thread with a detailed walkthrough of the gun mod as well as a full system test once I acquire the rest of the parts.

This post has been edited by jediaelthewise: 30 June 2012 - 05:44 AM

#2 User is offline   hamoidar 

• State:NULL (No Answer)

Posted 01 May 2012 - 04:32 PM

And what proof do you have that PVC air tanks are dangerous? I personnally know quite a few nerfers who have used PVC air tanks for years without a problem: including myself! Water; is an incompressible substance. For instance, a simple water pistol uses air to force the water out of the tank. Why? Because compressing the water alone is impossible. If you were to have a PVC pipe with on end closed off, with a pump pushing water into the open end, the pipe would explode before the water compresses. Although a welded metel air tank can hold higher pressure than a PVC tank, you usually do not need over 100 PSI for nerf applications: A pressure which is not even close to dangerous to a well-made PVC tank. I am not saying your dad does not know what he is talking about, I'm just saying that PVC tanks work fine under air pressure. Maybe a long length of pipe would have trouble dealing with high pressure, but a small length with end caps will not. I have a PVC gun which I use for testing darts. It is made out of 2" PVC and a couple of valves. I have been using it regularly for almost 3 Years! It has been pumped up to 180 PSI many times, without a problem. People use large PVC for potato cannons, some of which use commbustibles, also without problems.
NerfHaven > Your control panel > Profile > Change Signature > Inserts dumb sig > What! No pictures! > Inserts next best thing: Best thing on Nerfhaven!

#3 User is offline   jediaelthewise 

Posted 01 May 2012 - 04:49 PM

THe point I was attempting to make is just because you can do it and pull it off, doesn't mean its really dangerous. PVC is not NOT DESIGNED for air pressure, at least pvc 40 is. Some PVC80 is designed to take air pressure and if you are using that that is fine. The majority of the time though I see people just get the cheap regular PVC40 at home depot or otherwise to make their tanks and while they can build it and make it work, it doesn't mean you should do it.

Here is some info for you consideration. I looked up some official records from OSHA , the Occupational Safety & Health Administration. If you don't know who OSHA is, they are a federal organization and monitors workplace safety hazards and set out rules and codes for every kind of occupation for people's safety. They have had numerous documented cases of PVC compressed air setups exploding and causing severe injury. It is documented in several public letters that OSHA strongly states to not use regular PVC40 for compressed air because it is not designed for it.

Here is a section on their website containing a series of letters of this occuring and their stance on it: OSHA stance on PVC and Compressed Air

You're lucky and other people are lucky to not have an accident and thats all fine. But my point is basically, just because can, doesn't mean you should and isn't inherently dangerous by design. If you want to make one and don't get hurt, that entirely your responsibility and up to you. I just want to pass on a warning to my fellow nerfers to keep them safe.

If you don't feel like reading that whole page, here one such official warning:

Hazard Alert

For more information, call: 1-800-423-7233

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE May 26, 1988

PVC pipe not to be used in compressed air systems

OLYMPIA -- The Department of Labor and Industries warned today that plastic polyvinyl chloride (PVC) pipe cannot be used in compressed air piping systems without the risk of explosion.

When PVC piping explodes, plastic shrapnel pieces are thrown in all directions.

"We're seeing more incidents of explosive failure, and we're citing more employers for using PVC air system piping," said Paul Merrill, senior safety inspector in L&I's Spokane office.

"It's probably just a matter of time before someone gets seriously injured in one of these explosions unless everyone pays more attention to the manufacturer's warnings," Merrill said.
Last year, a section of PVC pipe being used for compressed air exploded 27 feet above a warehouse floor. A fragment of the pipe flew 60 feet and embedded itself in a roll of paper. Fortunately, nobody was in the area at the time.
A PVC pipe explosion in a new plant in Selah broke an employee's nose and cut his face.

PVC piping buried 3 feet underground at a Yakima manufacturing plant exploded, opening up a crater approximately 4 feet deep by 3 feet across.

Only one type of plastic pipe has been approved for use with compressed air. That pipe, Acrylonitrile-Butadiene-Styrene (ABS), is marked on the pipe as approved for compressed air supply.

By law, employers must protect their workers by avoiding the use of unapproved PVC pipe in such systems. Existing compressed air systems which use PVC piping must be completely enclosed, buried or adequately guarded according to specifications approved by a professional consulting engineer.

NOTICE TO EMPLOYERS: If you have questions about the suitability of a material for air system piping, call Labor and Industries at the number listed above for a free consultation.

NOTICE TO EMPLOYEES: If you suspect that a pressurized PVC piping hazard exists, bring it to the attention of your employer. If you do not obtain satisfactory results, you may file a confidential complaint with the Department of Labor and Industries. Complaints are investigated promptly.

THE INDUSTRIAL COMMISSION OF ARIZONA
DIVISION OF OCCUPATIONAL SAFETY & HEALTH
P.O. BOX 19070
PHOENIX, ARIZONA 80005-9070

This post has been edited by jediaelthewise: 01 May 2012 - 04:53 PM

#4 User is offline   arfink 

• State:Minnesota

Posted 01 May 2012 - 06:39 PM

This whole PVC tank thing has been beaten to death in the spud gun world, mostly because in their hobby they actually have to deal with high pressures.

If your Nerf gun's hard tank is running over 80 PSI there is something very very seriously wrong with your design. Like, face-destroyingly wrong.

I built a JSPB with a PVC air tank and a bike pump. I even did a "throw it off the second story onto concrete while pressurised" test and it held just fine.

But I would agree, if you're planning on using an air compressor other than a hand pump maybe you shouldn't be using PVC. But maybe you shouldn't be playing Nerf with it either.
A2GS + 4 meg RAM + 128 meg CF + 9600 Baud Lantronix = WIN

#5 User is offline   roboman 

• State:New York

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:21 PM

View Postjediaelthewise, on 01 May 2012 - 04:49 PM, said:

The point I was attempting to make is just because you can do it and pull it off, doesn't mean it's not really dangerous.

There, I fixed it for you.

I've had PVC airtanks explode before, and it's by no means fun.

Posted Image
That was a 2" cannon I made a few years ago. It exploded while I was holding it between my legs. The barrel kicked back and upwards into my crotch, and PVC shards flew everywhere. I have a scar on my right foot as a result of one of the shards penetrating my shoe and slicing the top and side of my foot.

I was incredibly lucky and stupid. The explosion was due to the "water hammer effect," which happens when you try to move a large amount of water very quickly. This particular cannon had a 4' long x 2" diameter barrel filled completely with water at the time of failure.

Pressure is pressure. If a piece of pipe is rated for 200 psi, it can handle 200 psi, whether it's water, air, or any other fluid. The difference between air and water is that water is not compressible, as hamoidar said. In fact, SCUBA tanks and other high-pressure tanks are routinely "Hydro tested," which involves filling the vessel with water, then pressurizing it to the working pressure. Typically, a dye is added, so leaks can be easily found. That, however, is not the primary reason for using an incompressible fluid - since it cannot compress, it does not expand when depressurized. That means that if the pipe was to fail, it would just crack or pop, rather than exploding violently. The reason PVC pipe is not considered safe for compressed air by OSHA is that in an industrial environment, air lines can be subjected to unusual forces, such as sudden blows, drops, or sharp bends, which create weak points in the plastic's structure. These weak points eventually become failure points, which are the causes of explosions when operating within the maximum pressure rating of the pipe.

You can haul around that bigass (read: heavy) steel tank at your HvZ game, but I can guarantee it will get pretty old in a matter of minutes.
Youtube

I've got way too many orders right now. If you want a 2K tank anything, it's gonna take a while.
Check my profile periodically for updates on the 3D printers/pumpbows if you're curious.

I accept PayPal and Bitcoin.

RPI '17

#6 User is offline   Draconis 

• State:Oregon

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:39 PM

View Posthamoidar, on 01 May 2012 - 04:32 PM, said:

And what proof do you have that PVC air tanks are dangerous? I personnally know quite a few nerfers who have used PVC air tanks for years without a problem: including myself! Water; is an incompressible substance. For instance, a simple water pistol uses air to force the water out of the tank. Why? Because compressing the water alone is impossible. If you were to have a PVC pipe with on end closed off, with a pump pushing water into the open end, the pipe would explode before the water compresses. Although a welded metel air tank can hold higher pressure than a PVC tank, you usually do not need over 100 PSI for nerf applications: A pressure which is not even close to dangerous to a well-made PVC tank. I am not saying your dad does not know what he is talking about, I'm just saying that PVC tanks work fine under air pressure. Maybe a long length of pipe would have trouble dealing with high pressure, but a small length with end caps will not. I have a PVC gun which I use for testing darts. It is made out of 2" PVC and a couple of valves. I have been using it regularly for almost 3 Years! It has been pumped up to 180 PSI many times, without a problem. People use large PVC for potato cannons, some of which use commbustibles, also without problems.

May the Lord have mercy upon your soul when you finally succeed in killing yourself by doing something exceptionally stupid instead of listening to smart people who are trying to keep you safe. Why do you still have posting privileges? The next time you want to call in to question a SAFETY recommendation made by someone, REGARDLESS of who they are, why don't you stop and ask yourself whether you are qualified to advise on such matters? Are you a materials engineer? Are you a plumber? Are you even bright enough to listen to a browser such as the one which is right now telling me VEHEMENTLY that I should fix your spelling errors? How about this... I'll make it really easy for you. If you decide that you need to spout off and some young (though likely too bright for his own good) nerfer builds something unsafe upon YOUR recommendation and injures himself or someone else... I will track you down. I will find you and I will make sure that you face legal ramifications for your idiocy. Or you could just learn to fucking listen.
[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#7 User is offline   NeverWriteTwice 

• State:Oklahoma

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:45 PM

According to google, that tank weighs around 6.5lbs and is about the size of a football (around 10"x5"). That isn't too bad, except that isn't all you'll be carrying. You'll also be carrying a compressor, several extra magstrike clips (which are light, but also awkward and bulky), and a crapton of darts. All while playing a game that requires you to run a lot.
I'm not saying it can't be done, it just doesn't sound like you've thought this through.

#8 User is offline   roboman 

• State:New York

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:03 PM

If you're absolutely hell-bent on using something other than PVC (not that I particularly LIKE using PVC as an air tank), these are quite handy. They're rated for 125 psi working, 500 psi burst with compressed air, and are made of polypropylene, which does not tend to fragment upon failure. They are, however, substantially more expensive than a piece of PVC of a similar size.

Basically, PVC pipe is cheap, readily available, and works just fine for our purposes. I would never dream of taking a piece of 2" Sch. 40 past 120 psi, and certainly nowhere near the labeled burst pressure.

Working with compressed air is inherently dangerous. One simply needs to take appropriate safety precautions and apply common sense to the situation to avert many of the potential dangers. Don't ever throw, drop, or otherwise cause a PVC tank (or one made of any other material) to encounter a sharp impact. Don't freeze your tanks or take them outside of their operating temperature range.

If you ARE looking to include a compressor on your rig, good luck. You're going to need a very large, heavy battery to power such a compressor for a substantial amount of time, and it will take an inordinate amount of time to refill a tank like the one you were planning on using initially, especially with a small compressor. Smaller compressors, such as those intended for use on ATVs, do not have a very high duty cycle, generally in the 5-10% range, sometimes even lower than that. The 90C from Viair is probably one of the smallest compressors for its output that you'll be able to easily find. Still, it weighs 2.5 lbs, not including the battery or a tank. That's not particularly practical for an HvZ game.
Youtube

I've got way too many orders right now. If you want a 2K tank anything, it's gonna take a while.
Check my profile periodically for updates on the 3D printers/pumpbows if you're curious.

I accept PayPal and Bitcoin.

RPI '17

#9 User is offline   jediaelthewise 

Posted 02 May 2012 - 12:38 AM

Thanks for all the feedback, I appreciate that you guys arent afraid to give me some counter arguments.

I may opt for the 1/2 gallon tank perhaps if it proves to be too bulky for an HvZ game. I planned on taking an old backpack and putting the tank inside that with holes cut for the fittings or if I can figure out something minimalist for transport it, I will do so.

The large tank is rated for 125PSI but i would run it no higher than 100PSI.

If your Nerf gun's hard tank is running over 80 PSI there is something very very seriously wrong with your design. Like, face-destroyingly wrong.

As far as using a tank over 80psi, I am also following CaptainSlug's advice in his DIY air tank. So if you could elaborate further why it's 'face destroyingly wrong,' I'd like to hear your opinion on that.

3. For this type of tank it's best not to fill beyond 100psi. If you want a higher capacity tank, purchase a purpose-made tank with a higher rating.

And finally on the point of people saying "its not practical/its too heavy." Everything has its trade offs. I'm not a fan of running constantly so my personal preference is to trade off a little mobility for high fire power. For the majority of our game, zombies have a 15 minute stun time. As for missions with shorter re-spawn times, the humans hardly had to do lots and lots of running in our game if you were smart about where you walked. If anything, I mostly was sneaking as a human instead of running. I played a human and a zombie on my campus and I almost never was running the time I played human.

Thats just my preference.

This post has been edited by jediaelthewise: 02 May 2012 - 12:39 AM

#10 User is offline   HasreadCoC 

• State:Kentucky

Posted 02 May 2012 - 04:21 AM

I'm still personally a fan of using an empty fire extinguisher as the air tank supply. Yes, heavy-ish, but you have it in a pack of some sort on your back, running through a tube to the blaster. It made to handle pressure, and I believe many/most already have threads that can be worked with, and used for fittings.

Just buy an empty one online from someone who just wanted to buy one to spray around with, maybe not one that's like 10 years old though.

Daniel Beaver, on 07 October 2012 - 06:07 AM, said:

I'm the only respectable person here. The rest of the NIC are pretty much just child molesters.

AKA: ObiWonTwo on Nerfrevolution, and most of the rest of the internet for that matter.....

#11 User is offline   Langley 

• LGLF - Since 2002
  • Group: Ambassadors
  • State:Connecticut

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:42 AM

View Posthamoidar, on 01 May 2012 - 04:32 PM, said:

And what proof do you have that PVC air tanks are dangerous? I personnally know quite a few nerfers who have used PVC air tanks for years without a problem: including myself!

Wow. Only a few hours out of your suspension and you manage to shit all over this poor guys's thread. While some of the discussion of air tank safety has been on the level, I think it's time to get back to the topic of the modification itself.
No Barrel Taps, No Mercy
2014 Nerf War Schedule
Bless you, my son. Now recite 3 New Members Guides and 5 Code of Conducts for your sins.

#12 User is offline   Draconis 

• State:Oregon

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:36 AM

View PostHasreadCoC, on 02 May 2012 - 04:21 AM, said:

I'm still personally a fan of using an empty fire extinguisher as the air tank supply. Yes, heavy-ish, but you have it in a pack of some sort on your back, running through a tube to the blaster. It made to handle pressure, and I believe many/most already have threads that can be worked with, and used for fittings.

Just buy an empty one online from someone who just wanted to buy one to spray around with, maybe not one that's like 10 years old though.

Occasionally I have found them at thrift stores and used tool shops for cheap. I have posted a couple of builds using the small ones for ball guns. They work quite well.
[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#13 User is offline   Buffdaddy 

• Do not buy from this member
  • Group: DO NOT TRADE
  • State:NULL (No Answer)

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:24 AM

If you're set on your setup, then easiest thing would be mounting two smallish air tanks on either side of a large bike pump, and wearing that as a backpack. Keeps things balanced, gets rid of the compressor/battery problem, and if you need to, you can retreat and pump it up, do so between rounds, etc.

#14 User is offline   Exo 

• State:California

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:55 AM

My experience with battery powereds has been less than fun. I would suggest a bike pump (minimized or with collapsible feet) to pump up the rig, just pull it off of the harness and pump, then put it back up and run. Or, you could attatch the tanks and pump to the blaster itself, heavy blasters are preferable to heavy backpacks with no space in them.

But in all honesty, a full-fill capable magstrike can fill in about 60 pumps, and drains three clips. If you were to make a homemade pump, with at least 2x the stroke, you could fill the bladder much faster, and if you increased the width, even fewer pumps than that.

Also, blasters that fast dual wielded? You will waste the majority of your ammo, and dual-wielding isn't all it's cracked up to be.

This post has been edited by Exo: 02 May 2012 - 11:57 AM

#15 User is offline   jediaelthewise 

Posted 02 May 2012 - 06:07 PM

View PostExo, on 02 May 2012 - 11:55 AM, said:

Also, blasters that fast dual wielded? You will waste the majority of your ammo, and dual-wielding isn't all it's cracked up to be.

That's why I haven't gotten to modding the second gun yet. I may opt to just use the single gun because they I can reload, pick up darts and generally have a hand free.

I think that might be better in the end. Just having the two for the opening ceremony and general badassery showing it off is all the dual wielding would be for =P

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users