• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Cataclysm 3 - Chicagoland War Return of Johnny Chan

#16 User is offline   venom213 

• Group: Members
  • State:Minnesota

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:58 PM

My ride has been arranged with SonReeceSonJensen and I have no foreseeable conflicts at this point. Mark me as attending. Minnesota Represent!

#17 User is offline   Daniel Beaver 

• HQRSE CQCK
  • Group: Moderators
  • State:Puerto Rico

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:41 PM

Sweet, the MN crew is coming. I'm torn between this and SPANO...

#18 User is offline   VelveetaAvenger 

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:48 PM

View Postvenom213, on 17 April 2012 - 02:58 PM, said:

My ride has been arranged with SonReeceSonJensen and I have no foreseeable conflicts at this point. Mark me as attending. Minnesota Represent!

Count me in too. Cause there ain't no party like a Minnesota Nerf party!
"I never saw Beastmaster, I just wanted to be cool..."

#19 User is offline   SonReeceSonJensen 

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:25 PM

View PostVelveetaAvenger, on 17 April 2012 - 06:48 PM, said:

Count me in too. Cause there ain't no party like a Minnesota Nerf party!

Cuz a Minnasota Nerf party eats your FACE!

Critical question on blaster power: will UMB's be allowed with stock OPRV's? I'm not sure how big they are compared to a Mega Mis.
The Difference:
-Guns shoot bullets that kill people
-Blasters shoot darts that tag people

I do not play with guns.

#20 User is offline   ACE11 

• State:Illinois

Posted 20 April 2012 - 04:59 PM

I'm a strong maybe.Considering it's Memorial day weekend I may have things to do, though I'm trying my best to be there.
Forsakenangel: Wow, 7 posts and only 2 of them have to do with the topic.
Go Nerfhaven!
Langley: I'm sorry we went off topic in your thread about exploding Easter bunnies. We'll try to do better next time.

#21 User is offline   Daniel Beaver 

• HQRSE CQCK

Posted 20 April 2012 - 05:37 PM

Serious question for the Minnesota people: can I get a ride back to Minneapolis? I'm thinking of flying up to Chicago, spending a few days in Minnesota, then flying back from MSP.

#22 User is offline   Daniel Beaver 

• HQRSE CQCK

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:23 PM

Got my plane ticket. See you fuckers at the war.

I hear it's going to be intensely heterosexual.

Posted Image

#23 User is offline   Ice Nine 

• Prince Dangus
  • State:California

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:28 PM

View PostSonReeceSonJensen, on 17 April 2012 - 07:25 PM, said:

Critical question on blaster power: will UMB's be allowed with stock OPRV's? I'm not sure how big they are compared to a Mega Mis.

I'm curious, too. UMBs are quite a bit bigger, though.

I'm imaging the primary purpose of that ban is to rid the field of 4Bs, Super Soakers, and the rest of the I-hate-exercise blasters, but I don't want to put words into the mouths of Kane and Ryan here. I want to put other things in, instead.

This post has been edited by Ice Nine: 25 April 2012 - 12:55 PM

And Thus, M-Word.U 3: Duplum scrt, duplum problema.
Rnbw Cln

#24 User is offline   VelveetaAvenger 

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:24 PM

View PostIce Nine, on 24 April 2012 - 03:28 PM, said:

My understanding is that the whole occasion will be intensley heterosexual.

The only way it could be more intense is if we were actually camping.
"I never saw Beastmaster, I just wanted to be cool..."

#25 User is offline   Ryan201821 

• Prince Edward
  • Group: Contributors

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:40 AM

View PostLangley, on 16 April 2012 - 08:58 AM, said:

Can't say I'm enthused about melee and shields. Shields/melee is to Langley as Deathmatch is to KaneTheMediocre. I would prefer that it be limited to a few rounds if we're going to do it at all, with very specific rules regarding what is allowed and how it can be used. I'm not driving halfway across the country with a trunk full of foam sticks just to have it all banned when I arrive.

We've never really had specific rules about melee, and shield rules haven't really been needed in the past. Basically if you're using an awesome blaster, there is no chance you get a shield, even a small one. If you're using a stock nerf blaster, or something that blows, a shield about 2 sq/ft is what we would consider to be reasonable. When we're actually playing, if someone is using something that's giving them a distinct unfair advantage, we'll ask them to put it down or switch to a more weaksauce blaster.

As far as melee, the only rules are that it has to be padded sufficiently. If you have any of the nerf brand stuff, it's a good measure to wrap it in pipe insulation since they're so hard (twss). Again, ridiculous shit will be banned as well.

I haven't been in favor of shields or melee ever but no one really uses it out here and I don't think you really need to worry about it effecting gameplay significantly. Big ammo (anything bigger than a mega), will destroy shields. People generally just get ruined who use melee and I really don't have any remorse for people bringing a sword to a gun fight. Most people will be using modern nerf stuff, but if they have incredibly weaksauce stuff, a shield can be appropriate.

These are what our rules have been in the past, and what we will loosely follow.

Shield Rules:

Melee = 3 sq/ft
Single shot pistol, ranges < 50' - 2 sq/ft
Anything else, ranges < 50' - 1 sq/ft
Blasters shooting over 50' will not be allowed to use a shield.

View PostSonReeceSonJensen, on 17 April 2012 - 07:25 PM, said:

Cuz a Minnasota Nerf party eats your FACE!

UMB's are fine by me, as long as they have the stock OPRV and the stock pump. I distinctly remember UMBs that raped people's faces similar to 4Bs at a war. Literally.

View PostDaniel Beaver, on 24 April 2012 - 03:23 PM, said:

Got my plane ticket. See you fuckers at the war.

Fuck yeah labia face!

=================

For all of those who have inquired about lodging:

Hotwire is a great site for booking hotels if you don't care the name of the place you're staying. The war is likely to be held out in Yorkville (60560), which is ~30-45 minutes from my place (aka middle of nowhere). People who are cool enough to hang out with us should stay in the immediate area (Lombard/Downers Grove 60148) for shenanigans and whatnot before and after the war, *cough* Minnesota and Pitts guys *cough*

Hotwire

Search places around 60148, and find the cheapest. Most hotels around here are perfectly fine (I don't live in rape town), so cheaper the better. If you can get the Doubletree, it's pretty much across the street from my neighborhood.

View PostVACC, on 13 May 2011 - 07:30 AM, said:

Consider it a bottled universe under the magnanimous control of Ryan McNumbers. Trying to redefine the foundation of said universe will ultimately result in the cessation of your existence within it.

#26 User is offline   Langley 

• LGLF - Since 2002
  • Group: Ambassadors
  • State:Connecticut

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:30 PM

View PostRyan201821, on 25 April 2012 - 11:40 AM, said:

I haven't been in favor of shields or melee ever but no one really uses it out here and I don't think you really need to worry about it effecting gameplay significantly. Big ammo (anything bigger than a mega), will destroy shields. People generally just get ruined who use melee and I really don't have any remorse for people bringing a sword to a gun fight. Most people will be using modern nerf stuff, but if they have incredibly weaksauce stuff, a shield can be appropriate.

So we're pretty much on the same page then. From the original post, I thought melee was a bigger deal (or becoming a bigger deal) in your area.

It looks like we're going to try and drive out over Thursday night and Friday, so we'll probably roll in late afternoon or early evening on Friday. We would need to hit the road Sunday around noon, but could possibly stay later if we're going to take shifts going back again. Could possibly have a convoy with the Sex Dwarves if we get the timing right.
No Barrel Taps, No Mercy
2014 Nerf War Schedule
Bless you, my son. Now recite 3 New Members Guides and 5 Code of Conducts for your sins.

#27 User is offline   RFox 

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:53 AM

I'm a solid maybe. I'll try to bring s few with me too.

#28 User is offline   KaneTheMediocre 

• Belligerent Asshole
  • State:NULL (No Answer)

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:11 PM

View PostBchamp22795, on 15 April 2012 - 01:52 PM, said:

Me+2 as a maybe.
Will you be selling pink foam there? Or better yet, your awesome check valve plunger heads?

Definitely not foam. Possibly darts, but that is really not likely. If you're serious about making some metal-free darts with the foam, we MIGHT be able to work something out where I'd sell you a kit that includes some other needed supplies and tooling.

I didn't know that anyone other than us thought that check-valve plunger heads were awesome. I'd hook you up if I didn't expect to be so busy with darts.

View PostLangley, on 16 April 2012 - 08:58 AM, said:

Can't say I'm enthused about melee and shields. Shields/melee is to Langley as Deathmatch is to KaneTheMediocre. I would prefer that it be limited to a few rounds if we're going to do it at all, with very specific rules regarding what is allowed and how it can be used. I'm not driving halfway across the country with a trunk full of foam sticks just to have it all banned when I arrive.

As Ryan said, shield / melee is not widely used, and doesn't have a big impact on gameplay. It is literally bringing a knife to a gunfight. Big shields (which, for some values of big, would be allowed with melee) help a lot, but remember that large ammo counts as a kill if it hits a shield or melee weapon. I've generally played that all large ammo is considered throwable, so even if you're not carrying a weapon that can shoot the large ammo, you can just throw a ball or rocket at the guy when he gets close.

As long as your swords and shields are padded and relatively lightweight (Plain cardboard is fine for shields), I don't expect anything would get banned outright. That said, if you have a 2' x 4' shield, I probably will say that you aren't allowed to carry a weapon. And if you have a 6' long sword, don't expect to carry a blaster or a shield. Even more ridiculous stuff could be accommodated with special rules.

Also with regards to barrel tapping, I thought that we could allow something similar that did not involve treating blasters as melee weapons. If a person puts there hand on a part of a persons body that will not get them sued or arrested, and fires a dart into the ground while their hand is on the opponent, that could count as a hit without any of the usual safety and game balance problems from barrel tapping.
RAINBOW CLAN FTW
I'm Purple

My Half-Baked MHA Site

#29 User is offline   ACE11 

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:40 PM

I'm fo sho now. Also, Kane, I will definitely buy a PANS kit, how much do you think it might be? If you got any extra of those plunger head seals, I'll buy two, assuming they're still u-cup seals? More also, MEGAHAMP's are allowed, correct? I made one of them, and hope to finish my compensator.

This post has been edited by ACE11: 27 April 2012 - 05:41 PM

Forsakenangel: Wow, 7 posts and only 2 of them have to do with the topic.
Go Nerfhaven!
Langley: I'm sorry we went off topic in your thread about exploding Easter bunnies. We'll try to do better next time.

#30 User is offline   snickers 

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:20 PM

View PostACE11, on 27 April 2012 - 05:40 PM, said:

I'm fo sho now. Also, Kane, I will definitely buy a PANS kit, how much do you think it might be? If you got any extra of those plunger head seals, I'll buy two, assuming they're still u-cup seals? More also, MEGAHAMP's are allowed, correct? I made one of them, and hope to finish my compensator.

You should try and make some first =) Very challenging, after 400 or so, you get the hang of it. Does it take 1 full week to dry? I have some that I dissected, and I think they are dry. It has been 3 days since I constructed them. If you are willing to sell kits to metal free dart makers who ARE ACTUALLY SERIOUS about them, I'm in. What would the kit include?

This post has been edited by snickers: 27 April 2012 - 07:23 PM

Share this topic:

• 9 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users