Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
(the 4B is a work in progress.)

This concept is obviously meant for high (over) powered blasters. It operates just like any other hopper in that the ranges and power decline as the hopper empties.

It does misfire once in a while but with a flick of the wrist, the darts realign themselves and it's ready to go. I've fired off the entire hopper many times and I get 2 or 3 misfires per hopper. Not bad in my opinion.

The great thing about this concept, other than the dart capacity, is reloading the hopper is very simple. The back end simply twists off, you grab your darts and shove them in. You don't have to load one at a time. You don't even have to look. Once you close it back up, shake it around once or twice to align the darts, prime and fire.

I've tried this concept with other similar baby bottles but found that this particular bottle design the most reliable.

Thank you Dollar Store.

...In case you wanted to know, my 4B, with this set up still gets 100' by the last dart.
"...he is one speedy bastard." ~ Cheyner

#2 User is offline   hamoidar 

• Group: Members
  • State:NULL (No Answer)

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:48 AM

Wow, this is a great idea. (And execution) You sir, have just revolutionized the hopper. This post should be pinned for its importance in nerf history.
NerfHaven > Your control panel > Profile > Change Signature > Inserts dumb sig > What! No pictures! > Inserts next best thing: Best thing on Nerfhaven!

#3 User is offline   Slime 

• State:Michigan

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:03 AM

That is a super cool unique idea. That would be pretty awesome to see in action. Nice job man!

#4 User is offline   ShaNayNay 

• State:Missouri

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:07 PM

Wow, that's truly incredible! I've haven't worked with hoppers yet, but I'll definitely have to try this. Nice mod, execution, and write-up.

Daniel Beaver, on 08 August 2011 - 07:59 AM, said:

New Jersey is fuckin weird

#5 User is offline   Phree Agent 

• State:Virginia

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:29 PM

Does it work with slugs? Does it work with lighter weighted darts such as single BB? I just would assume that it works better with heavier headed darts.

#6 User is offline   NerfNoob10 

• State:Maryland

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:30 PM

Wow, I'm very impressed! I thought just the 6 dart hoppers were great, but this truly takes it to the next level. Time to hunt for that baby bottle at my Dollar store.

#7 User is offline   makeitgo 

• State:Ontario

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:38 PM

View PostPhree Agent, on 30 March 2012 - 12:29 PM, said:

Does it work with slugs? Does it work with lighter weighted darts such as single BB? I just would assume that it works better with heavier headed darts.

You're correct in saying that it works better with heavier darts. I don't have too many slugs but the 12 or 14 I do have fed fine.

As long as your darts tend to always rest with the head facing down, 'tippsy-toppy' as I like to call them, they will feed just fine. However, I have found that if the darts are too short (1" or less) they can be jammed in side ways by the other darts making it a little difficult to dislodge.

This post has been edited by makeitgo: 30 March 2012 - 01:39 PM

"...he is one speedy bastard." ~ Cheyner

#8 User is offline   andtheherois 

• State:New Jersey

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:07 PM

I like this idea. I may need to try it when i get a chance. I'd venture the guess that natural movement through a round would keep darts loaded.
The YooToobz
Photobucket

Gears said:

Winning rounds is rewarding, deal with it. We don't play fucking patty cake over here.

#9 User is offline   Daniel Beaver 

• HQRSE CQCK
  • Group: Moderators
  • State:Puerto Rico

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:12 PM

View Posthamoidar, on 30 March 2012 - 10:48 AM, said:

Wow, this is a great idea. (And execution) You sir, have just revolutionized the hopper. This post should be pinned for its importance in nerf history.

You should invest in a pair of knee pads.

#10 User is offline   Ice Nine 

• Prince Dangus
  • State:California

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:35 PM

I'm skeptical of this with respect to it working on a gun that doesn't have any one of the following, let alone all of them: excessive air volume, excessive air pressure, and dome darts. Even if you say that it worked with a half-hopper of slug darts (and I'm not even sure you use slug darts that would be considered slug darts by Chicago Nerfing Standards Trademark Rights Reserved), if you're using them on a pump-replaced Big Blast with undoubtedly molested internals that statistic is useless. Out of my old Big Blasts I've fired darts backwards, through two ninety-degree elbows, with a hopper, and they still moved forward in the basic direction of the target. If you have any other hopperable guns that aren't ridiculously overpowered and non-rape darts then I would be interested in hearing the results.

As a side note, if you really spend five minutes per dart to make those, might I suggest not ejaculating on each individual dart, but instead following my method of casting new hot glue sticks with semen embedded in them? It will save you considerable time and maybe effort.
And Thus, M-Word.U 3: Duplum scrt, duplum problema.
Rnbw Cln

#11 User is offline   chavez guy 

• State:California

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:43 PM

View PostDaniel Beaver, on 30 March 2012 - 08:12 PM, said:

You should invest in a pair of knee pads.

I laughed so hard when I read that.

But on topic, I recall you (MIG) saying somewhere you hate hoppers. Is this the change in hoppers you were looking for to make them suited to your nerf connoisseur tastes?
Hablamos Espaņol

#12 User is offline   Keo 

• State:Maryland

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:54 PM

Very Nice, I would love to try and make myself one.

I am quite curious; does The curved almost bananna shape of the bottle you recommend help in the feeding as oppossed to a "regular" bottle, in your opinion Makeitgo ?

This post has been edited by Keo: 30 March 2012 - 10:54 PM

#13 User is offline   Zorns Lemma 

• Sir Scrt
  • State:Illinois

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:31 PM

You can do this using regular PVC parts. The key is that the length of the dart must be longer than the diameter of the tube.

Carbon did it 6 years ago: http://nerfhaven.com...?showtopic=5976

However, the misfire percentage goes up drastically when firepower is decrease or if you try to shoot in rapid succession (the point of hoppers and pump action). I think using a big blast provides unrealistic field testing since the volume is so high that it can pull darts through with pressure effects, and moreover, that pumping means you cannot shoot quickly.
"In short, the same knowledge that underlies the ability to produce correct judgement is also the knowledge that underlies the ability to recognize correct judgement. To lack the former is to be deficient in the latter."
Kruger and Dunning (1999)

#14 User is offline   Chadpuff 

Posted 31 March 2012 - 04:44 AM

Not only is this a amazing Idea but now it makes me glad I haven't thrown out my son's bottles yet lol. Congrats on a fine build. Your stuff never ceases to amaze.
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." ...Han Solo

#15 User is offline   Daniel Beaver 

• HQRSE CQCK
  • State:Puerto Rico

Posted 31 March 2012 - 06:53 AM

View PostZorn, on 30 March 2012 - 11:31 PM, said:

Carbon did it 6 years ago: http://nerfhaven.com...?showtopic=5976

Yep, though he was doing it with an inline clip, so failure was inevitable. Naturally you could do this setup with PVC fittings, though you would lose the advantage of a clear container (not to mention that it would be heavier).

One the topic of something IceNine mentioned:
For sufficiently powerful blasters, it doesn't matter too much if a dart feeds into the barrel backwards. The darts right themselves almost immediately once they leave the barrel. You do suffer some loss in accuracy, but it is an acceptable loss if you need to reload quickly.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users