NerfHaven: Avatars in the next version of IPB - NerfHaven

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Avatars in the next version of IPB

Poll: Avatars in the next version of IPB

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

The next version of IPB ditches avatars in favor of thumbnails of users profile pictures. What are your thoughts?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 User is offline   taerKitty 

• Group: Members
  • State:Washington

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:32 PM

I'm all for "whatever makes the M/A team's lives easier". I like avatars in that it makes it easier to see who is saying what, though I do have to be careful two or more people aren't using the same avatar from the same pool.
Fugly is a feature.

#17 User is offline   Daniel Beaver 

• HQRSE CQCK
  • Group: Moderators
  • State:Puerto Rico

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:38 AM

View PosttaerKitty, on 14 February 2012 - 10:32 PM, said:

I like avatars in that it makes it easier to see who is saying what, though I do have to be careful two or more people aren't using the same avatar from the same pool.

That's my main gripe with the current system. There are far too many people using duplicate avatars, and so they aren't a reliable identifier (which is the whole point of having avatars).

#18 User is offline   Ice Nine 

• Prince Dangus
  • Group: Moderators
  • State:California

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:04 AM

View PostDaniel Beaver, on 15 February 2012 - 08:38 AM, said:

That's my main gripe with the current system. There are far too many people using duplicate avatars, and so they aren't a reliable identifier (which is the whole point of having avatars).

There are at least one hundred avatars in the current catalogue that are unused. You're not complaining about the current system, you're complaining about lazy members.
And Thus, M-Word.U 3: Duplum scrt, duplum problema.
Rnbw Cln

#19 User is offline   taerKitty 

• State:Washington

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:05 PM

View PostIce Nine, on 15 February 2012 - 10:04 AM, said:

There are at least one hundred avatars in the current catalogue that are unused. You're not complaining about the current system, you're complaining about lazy members.
Not necessarily lazy - they could all be fans of the same source material. Or, they could be new and not realize once was used already. I made that mistake a while ago, using a cat avatar someone else already was using.

Still, the end result is the same - someone gets misattributed for someone else's words.
Fugly is a feature.

#20 User is offline   shardbearer 

• State:Vermont

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:01 PM

I think we should be able to upload our own, or just turn em off. Make people read names for once. I have had too many experiences of seeing my avatar on someone else's post and having to change it, and just disabled mine.
Thanks for listening to the nonsensical ravings of a lunatic madman.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users