Photo

Make Magazine.

9 replies to this topic

#1 The Nerfaholic

The Nerfaholic

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 11:46 PM

I'm sure most of you have heard of Kipkaye by now at some point, or any of the Make Magazine stuff on youtube. Recently they made a magazine with this page.
Posted Image
The "better nerf gun". I got this image off of their video. It almost looks like Carbons original Snap.
Roses are red, And violets are blue. One day we'll cruise down Blood Gulch avenue.

#2 gehaga

gehaga

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 11:47 PM

I saw the video today. For some reason stuff like this makes me mad.

Send me a PM with your address, credit card info, a scandalous picture of your mother, and your social security number. Okay, I'm kidding about the social. And the credit card.

#3 Eik

Eik

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 01:50 AM

It almost looks like Carbons original Snap.

I'd say it more resembles Boltsniper's GNS

I saw the video today. For some reason stuff like this makes me mad.

Some reason...that you didn't feel worth posting? What's so wrong with Make showing off an interesting homemade build?
Many of the people who read Make might have valuable insight or ideas to bring to this hobby, and Make reaches a pretty wide audience.

#4 BritNerfMogul

BritNerfMogul

• Members
  • 560 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 06:00 AM

This has been discussed over on NRev, and the concensus over there was that the design was good, but flawed. The ranges he got were severly lacking, especially considering the effort that went into making the pistol.

#5 The Nerfaholic

The Nerfaholic

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 08:31 AM

Well I mean, it is for stock darts after all.
Roses are red, And violets are blue. One day we'll cruise down Blood Gulch avenue.

#6 hamoidar

hamoidar

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 12:07 PM

Well I mean, it is for stock darts after all.

Stock darts accuracy may stink, but their ranges do not. For instance, my version of the sgn-r3l gets 130ft flat with stock sonic micros. SGnerfs original gun gets 140ft flat with stefans, and my gun has the same spring. :mellow:
NerfHaven > Your control panel > Profile > Change Signature > Inserts dumb sig > What! No pictures! > Inserts next best thing: http://nerfhaven.com...howuser=114052' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Best thing on Nerfhaven!

#7 Daniel Beaver

Daniel Beaver

HQRSE CQCK

• Moderators
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 01:05 PM

Stock darts accuracy may stink, but their ranges do not.

Yep. Though their geometry makes loading them into barrels awkward, it is quite possible to push them out to 130+ ranges. And while sonic micros, streamlines and taggers tend to fishtail, suction cup micros shoot like lasers.

This has been discussed over on NRev, and the concensus over there was that the design was good, but flawed. The ranges he got were severly lacking, especially considering the effort that went into making the pistol.

Also yep. What bothers me about this blaster is that it doesn't even live up to the "maker mantra". Complexity is not inherently bad, but it needs to have a point. If this blaster shot stock darts 80 feet or so, I would have been like "oh, that's kinda cool". But it doesn't - it's just made of fail. It also demonstrates a complete lack of effort to research current solutions, which would have uncovered several superior designs.

The NIC's reaction to this is also a good demonstration of a universal truth: any time a you see a mass-market article about a subject in which you are very knowledgeable, the article always seems ludicrously inaccurate.

Edited by Daniel Beaver, 07 January 2012 - 01:12 PM.

#8 Exo

Exo

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 03:48 PM

I think that he may have only looked at Bolt's designs, as Bolt was the only person he referenced. He also uses "weird" springs, I don't think many people use AR-15 springs any more. I agree with DanB, this thing is beautiful, but is overly complex. I didn't understand his catch, and even attempted to post that on the website, but you have to be a memeber. Oh, well.

#9 Ubermensch

Ubermensch

• Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 06:46 PM

http://nerfhaven.com...showtopic=10488

So basically all credit for this article's existence goes to me
"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."-Carl Sagan
Nerf Rocket Air Launcher

#10 OneWingedAngel

OneWingedAngel

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 01:14 AM

I have seen this before, IIRC, it was made by a NZer for shiggles. There's a demo video on youtube somewhere.

Yep, here's the vid, and here is his webpage for the blaster. Most definitely NOT a kipkay creation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users