NerfHaven: Please Stop the Insanity - NerfHaven

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Please Stop the Insanity It's like Endless September all over again...

#1 User is offline   taerKitty 

• Group: Members
  • State:Washington

Posted 22 October 2011 - 05:12 PM

Can we close registration again? Even if we gate the FNGs to only one or two posts a day, that's still one or two dead brain cells. Multiply it by the number of n00bs, and... well you get the picture. Could we turn on the 'karma' feature so we can vote their dumbass threads into oblivion? Or maybe give them a kiddie pool to wade in. Something, please!
Fugly is a feature.

#2 User is offline   Ice Nine 

• Prince Dangus
  • Group: Moderators
  • State:California

Posted 22 October 2011 - 06:08 PM

View PosttaerKitty, on 22 October 2011 - 05:12 PM, said:

Can we close registration again? Even if we gate the FNGs to only one or two posts a day, that's still one or two dead brain cells. Multiply it by the number of n00bs, and... well you get the picture. Could we turn on the 'karma' feature so we can vote their dumbass threads into oblivion? Or maybe give them a kiddie pool to wade in. Something, please!

FUCK NO, CUNT.

Ban everyone who joined 8 July 2008 or later! They're the worst.

Oh, you think I wasted my thousandth post, huh?

Here's the celebratory music. Everyone, turn your headphones all the way up, because this shit is Japanese.

This post has been edited by Ice Nine: 22 October 2011 - 06:35 PM

And Thus, M-Word.U 3: Duplum scrt, duplum problema.
Rnbw Cln

#3 User is offline   Jilliop 

• State:Wisconsin

Posted 22 October 2011 - 07:05 PM

I resent that. I rarely post, and have yet to really contribute, but I'm not a nuisance by any means. It's just that since we opened registration all the way up, everyone with the title FNG lacks grammar, and not only that, but they hardly contribute anything. There are indeed FNGs who have posted more than me, and I've been a member for about 4 or 5 months.

#4 User is offline   238232 

Posted 22 October 2011 - 07:21 PM

I'd lean more towards what Jilliop has said, but here's my 2c:

View PosttaerKitty, on 22 October 2011 - 05:12 PM, said:

Or maybe give them a kiddie pool to wade in. Something, please!

This may be something to consider, one of the Aussie forums has had some success in devoting an entire section to relatively noobish questions, which has at the very least stopped most of such stuff from being posted in the other sections. Those who are in a helpful mood can stick their heads in there, those who don't can ignore it.

That said, as a still very new guy, the above is worth about as much as you paid for it.

#5 User is offline   gehaga 

Posted 22 October 2011 - 07:23 PM

I agree with with taerkitty. These FNG's are annoying. I may technically be an FNG but I've been lurking this site for 3 years now and I can assure you that I am not part of the cancer.

View PostDraconis, on 15 June 2012 - 04:10 PM, said:

Send me a PM with your address, credit card info, a scandalous picture of your mother, and your social security number. Okay, I'm kidding about the social. And the credit card.

#6 User is offline   Daniel Beaver 

• HQRSE CQCK
  • Group: Moderators
  • State:Puerto Rico

Posted 22 October 2011 - 11:33 PM

View PostIce Nine, on 22 October 2011 - 06:08 PM, said:

Ban everyone who joined 8 July 2008 or later! They're the worst.

Don't you love me anymore?

But in all seriousness... this is the inevitable fate of all online communities, but I would argue that it is beneficial in the long run. There is a confirmation bias in effect when we reminisce about the good old days when all the fucking new guys weren't here. The problem is that (in our minds) we are comparing the known contributions of older member to the unknown future contributions of new members. It is easy to simply dismiss them, to insist that they will never amount to anything. But noobs don't stay noobs forever.

This post has been edited by Daniel Beaver: 22 October 2011 - 11:36 PM

#7 User is offline   Uranium234 

• Group: Banned

Posted 23 October 2011 - 04:43 AM

F*ck you ass hole I can mod as good as any of you because I was nerfing for 4 years then I became a member so none of this Sh*t would happen!!!!!

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Piss me of much

#8 User is offline   DudeRadster 

• State:Minnesota

Posted 23 October 2011 - 05:01 AM

I'm a FNG but I've been lurking this site for well over a year. Something that comes to my mind when I think about this "Insanity" is to make FNG's make one post per week and make them have a total log-in time before they can even start doing that. Also, you could just expand the administration team.
Only YOU can prevent preserve Wildfires.

#9 User is offline   taerKitty 

• State:Washington

Posted 23 October 2011 - 06:05 AM

View PostUranium234, on 23 October 2011 - 04:43 AM, said:

Piss me of much

Stop making it so easy.

===

Seriously, if you post in correct English (capitalization, spelling, grammar, punctuation, etc.), and your posts have substance (something new as opposed to "Hai, gaiz! I shoved a crayola into my NF and it shoots 75' angled!") then you're not dragging down the site.

But, so many posts seem lacking even these basic requirements.

Another thought might be to prevent FNGs from starting new threads. So many new threads from new names are abysmal. That still doesn't prevent them from necro'ing, posting a one-line text-only message in the Mod/PJ thread, or failing to search.
Fugly is a feature.

#10 User is offline   spencerak 

• State:Michigan

Posted 23 October 2011 - 06:07 AM

I too agree with taerkitty, FNGs are very annoying, but there are a handful of them who aren't illiterate dumb asses such as DudeRadster. Maybe the admins, if they had the time, could make a sort of code of conduct quiz that you need to take before you can become a member.

This post has been edited by spencerak: 23 October 2011 - 06:07 AM

Langley, on 31 March 2013 - 07:41 AM, said:

Holy shit it's Captain Slug.

#11 User is offline   CuppaSteve 

• State:Florida

Posted 23 October 2011 - 06:13 AM

Earlier the FNG's had a rating bar on their posts that nobody used and seemingly had no use other than as a review tool, or at least it looked that way. The Admins could put that back in, and if a post gets rated down "x" number of times then they could automatically get a week off and the thread gets deleted/locked. That way, the ones with actual sense don't get knocked off and the n00bs go away.

Thoughts?

#12 User is offline   evilbunnyo 

• State:New York

Posted 23 October 2011 - 06:18 AM

View PosttaerKitty, on 23 October 2011 - 06:05 AM, said:

Stop making it so easy.

Don't be too harsh on him taer he's only 12.
Anyways I agree the FNG's are becoming a problem. However mass banning and just complete shut down of the system isn't the way to go. The post count per day would be a good way to start. In every bunch of grapes there's always a couple ones bigger and better than the rest and a couple that shrivel up and become tartar. Vacc and Langley have been doing a good job handling the bad ones and for that they deserve a round of applause. If any of us ran this site there wouldn't be many people on here. The real issue with tbhe FNG's is not that they are young and stupid but that they don't pay any fucking attention when Vacc shuts down a thread and says the exact reason why. That would help everyone.

Rants over. Here's to none of us getting banned.

EDIT:
I forgot all about taers kiddy pool idea.
I think we could have a new sub forum made where FNG's can only post. After they post a certain amount in there then the admins could review and see if they are worthy of becoming members. This way we root out the stupids without putting them in the main flow of things.

This post has been edited by evilbunnyo: 23 October 2011 - 06:23 AM

Silence is golden but duct tape is silver

#13 User is offline   foamkiller28 

Posted 23 October 2011 - 07:19 AM

That is a really good idea having a separate forum for the FNGs. I know I am one but I have been on NRev for quite some time so I know what I am doing. Also to answer a lot of your questions and what not about the post count for a day, it is a maximum of 2 posts a day for an FNG. I have to agree with you spencerak that a COC quiz would be best to pick out the retarded FNGs who can't read or write.
I rip out ARs with my teeth.

I open guns with my feet.

#14 User is offline   SlightlySane813 

• State:NULL (No Answer)

Posted 23 October 2011 - 08:03 AM

I have to say I'm in the middle here because I've seen FNG with brains and without (even though I've seen more without lately).

Maybe a simple couple of questions could be given to determine basic brian ability. This would filter all FNG with brains out from all the other FNG. Just an idea for thought.
Also known as the French Canadian eh!

#15 User is offline   Aeromech 

• State:New York

Posted 23 October 2011 - 09:10 AM

TaerKitty: I feel your pain undoubtedly. I lurked this site for three years before joining, and I think you certainly have a point.

From my experience in lurking this site, however, I understand that these radical suggestions are not ours to make. Vacc or Talio once stated that this site is governed in a totalitarian manner; it is different from other free for all sites. If this is what they want to do that is not something we lose our heads about. Keep reporting the bad threads and let the admins deal with the garbage.

Someone on this post also stated that they are only 12. That is not an excuse. Regardless of your age, these simple rules must be followed. End of story.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users