7 replies to this topic

#1 taerKitty

taerKitty

• Members
  • 883 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 10:19 PM

To start with, this is what we'll be talking about today:

Posted Image

It's a Nite Finder with a permanently attached six-shot magazine feeding into a CPVC breech. I call it a 'Mauser' because it's reminiscent of the old Broomhandle Mauser with the magazine forward of the trigger guard.

Firstly, credit where credit's due. This is completely and totally inspired by Buffy's Bu-TTG.

Posted Image

===

Tools

- Drill with very narrow bit

- Wire snips

- Boltcutter

- Philips screwdriver

- Ratcheting pipe cutters

- Rotary pipe cutters (optional)

- Hacksaw

- File

- Scissors

===

Materials

- Hot glue

- 1/2" CPVC

- CPVC coupler

- 1/2" PVC

- 1" PVC

- Paper clip or some sort of wire

- Electrical tape

- DVD clamshell case

- [k26] spring (optional)

- Nite Finder and CS-6 clip (of course)

===

Open the Nite Finder

No pics, sorry. Lose the LED assembly.

===

Remove the barrel

You can either use ratcheting pipe cutters and follow the first steps in my 30-Minute Nite Finder Overhaul, or you can use rotary pipecutters. These give better control.

Posted Image

===

Halve the CPVC coupler and file down if needed

My 30-Minute Tech Target Overhaul details how to cut a CPVC in half neatly. Actually, I just used the leftover half.

Barrel-shaped ones don't fit in the NF PT, so some filing is in order

Posted Image

===

Try, try again

It'll take a lot of trial and error to get it right. I'm not doing a draw extension, etc. so I'm shaving it down until the half-coupler in the PT fits in the shell.

Posted Image

Now that I think about it, I didn't even use adhesive on it. It was a very snug fit.

===

Stop, dart!

Drill across the coupler, as far back as you can but still across the coupler. I've found that the seam is a good guideline.

Posted Image

===

It's a wrap

Clip the excess wire, bend the ends back, and tape them down.

Posted Image

===

That's no way to treat a clip!

See the hacksaw? The clip isn't resting on it. Look at the shadow - the hacksaw is partway into sawing the clip in two (but we won't let it complete the job.)

Posted Image

How far do you cut? The magazine follower is chopped back until the slot is under the dart head, if the dart body is pushed against the 'uncut' half of the follower. This will vary with your dart size.

The forward side wall of the clip is cut all the way down, but the bottom need not be cut at all. No big deal if it is.

Remember there's a screw in there.

===

Stefanize it

Time to gut the DVD clamshell. I chose to use part of the spine, thoug I'm sure you can use the edge as well. We want a piece of it that's not as wide as the slot in the follower is long, and tall enough to reach the bottom of the circular slot for the bolt to slide through.

Posted Image

The spine is cut into two flaps becaue there's a ridge around the clip and this allows the spine to rest on it.

Not shown: the spine is actually trimed to one-half the width. The full width of the spine is too wide for half the clip's width.

===

Widen the slot in the follower

Take the file and make the slot in the follower *wide*. We don't want it binding on the DVD plate.

Posted Image

===

All together now

Assemble the clip and hot glue the spine to the side of the clip. This is a case of "do what I say, not what I do." You'll note that the clip has duct tape on it in the initial picture. As this was a prototype, I didn't want to finalize anything until I was sure it was working.

Posted Image

===

Now for the shell

Cut the shell against the front of the rearmost support for the dart holder.

Posted Image

===

Try, try again (again)

This doesn't show the notches clearly, but I did notch the exposed flanges to accept the clip. You can kind of see it on the bottom of the dart holder support.

Posted Image

===

Cap the clip

This is kind of 'by eyeball', sorry for not having measurements. The red part is a chunk of 1/2" PVC, and the two larger arcs are 1" PVC. The 1/2" PVC should be as wide as the gap beween the lips and as long as the length from the head of your dart to the end of the raised lip portion of the clip. My stefans had a nasty habit of jumping for freedom, so I had to cap my clip.

Posted Image

===

Everyone's favourite non-structural member structural member

To start with, place the clip on the blaster and secure with the rubber band (see a few photos above). Hot glue the clip to the left side on the outside on the three or so points where there's shell-to-shell contact. Let dry. Note - this is in no way stable enough - we're just using it to keep the clip from moving along that axis while we do the next step.

Open the shell, shove a piece of CPVC into the coupler through the clip. This will keep it from flexing. Between it and the hot glue dots, the clip should be immobile.

On the outside, run a strip of electrical tape over the gap between the clip and the blaster. No pic, sorry.

Flip the blaster over. Make some dams with electrical tape and fill the hollow with hot glue.

Posted Image

This pic is missing one more piece of e-tape - to seal the notch in the clip! Boy, was that fun to clean up.

Again, hot glue isn't a good structural member. I should be using e-putty, but I'm a cheap bastard. It's good enough, which is good enough for me.

===

While the blaster is opened, may as well do some performance mods. I added two wraps of e-tape under the o-ring and swapped in a length of [k26] for the stock spring.

Here's another shot of it.

Posted Image

I'm using a 5" barrel. It's a bit longer than what I've heard recommended for NFs, but I need that extra length to clear the clip.

===

To load the clip, remove the barrel completely. The darts go in from the front of the clip. After the first one, the other hand's thumb depresses the darts in the clip to make room for the new one.

To load the blaster, pull the barrel out until the dart is able to rise into positon. Actually, it'll rise a bit to far out of position, so the other hand's thumb nudges it down slightly. Slide the barrel back in, prime and let loose.

Thoughts:

- This isn't faster than a speedloader, at least not for for the shots already loaded in the speedloader's barrels.

- It's more of a fun mod, and it's kind of cool looking.

- I used to collect Jon Sable, Freelance and loved the Broomhandle Mauser. Did you know they used one as the base for Han Solo's blaster?

- I'm getting roughly 50' with domes out of it, which is fine - Dayko caps our pistol rounds to 60', and my overhauled TTG blows that way away.
Fugly is a feature.

#2 SonReeceSonJensen

SonReeceSonJensen

• Members
  • 662 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 10:27 PM

Reminds me of a Buzz Bee in that the fun is in the function. Looks like this method is easily adaptable to, well, anything.
The Difference:
-Guns shoot bullets that kill people
-Blasters shoot darts that tag people

I do not play with guns.

#3 DudeRadster

DudeRadster

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 08:30 AM

This is SWEET. Next time I get a NiteFinder, this is going to be its fate.
Only YOU can prevent preserve Wildfires.

#4 taerKitty

taerKitty

• Members
  • 883 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 09:23 AM

@SJRJ - Thanks. It's possible to do this to other blasters, but I wouldn't try to make a primary out of it. There's no way it will bet a hopper/RSCB/inline for RoF, and I would think a traditional blaster is sturdier. This is a fun mod, a tribute to Buffy's creativity.

@DudeRadster - Please feel free to make your own improvements and changes to the design. I'd love to see what you come up with!

===

I added a bungee to it and it's now hitting 70's.

It can carry 7 slugs total - 6 in the clip, one in the pipe.

RoF is about one shot every 2 seconds. I'd guess that's slightly slower than a speedloader, if you had a 7-way speedloader.

Try as I may, the clip does bind some. Be warned. I'm going to try to get some lube in there.
Fugly is a feature.

#5 Exo

Exo

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 12:13 PM

Anybody remember this?
Posted Image
Not to hijack the thread or anything, but this one's made to attatch to a coupler. I REALLY like my stuff to be modular, so if someone wanted to use their NF with something else, they could also carry something like this. It works the same way, so the barrel is long, but the dart is all the way in the back, where it couplers.

I think that clips are good if you don't want deadspace, but want the ammo capacity that pipe clips have. The RevShot managed this pretty well, and was the same as having a wye on there.

Edited by Exo, 13 October 2011 - 12:15 PM.

#6 taerKitty

taerKitty

• Members
  • 883 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 12:19 PM

I don't see it as a jacking, don't worry. Yes, a couplered approach is better for many reasons, but the goal here was to do a Bu-TTG with an NF. The defining trait of a Bu-TTG is the integral magazine, hence the faithful replication (in function, that is.) I'm not saying a removable version is inferior - in fact, I would think it to be better for general purposes. However, the point is to make a pistol with an integral magazine. :)
Fugly is a feature.

#7 Exo

Exo

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 12:51 PM

I get that, and I love the idea. I'm trying to make a clip from a solid block of wood, and I have a curently useless NF, so I will most likely be trying this.

#8 Geekonator

Geekonator

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 11:55 AM

I'm assuming with tweaks with this mod, you could use a minimized clip to make it more aesthetically pleasing and fit in a holster?
Unique Signature

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users