CPVC Breach (Sodizzle) Longshot

16 replies to this topic

#1 popatachi

popatachi

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 10:57 PM

Here are my thoughts after completing a Sodizzle Breach
I have been wanting to try this out for some time and was finally able to get the project going. Overall, this is a fairly easy project where the most of the time spent is trying to find the correct measurements for the barrel and bolt based on where you want to put the coupler.

I also really like this setup as you only really need CPVC and a coupler as your only materials.
For tools, I used a dremel, files, scroll saw, hobby saw, and Zap-a-gap.

Youtube Mod Video
Youtube Firing Video

Either way here are some of the details that I changed in my tinkering.

Bolt assembly:
I added a circle of rubber gasket (or a suitable sized rubber washer) to the base of the bolt assembly. CPVC didn't fit as snug through the plunger tube and this is just to help give it an extra seal. I don't know if it really helps or not (I didn't try it with or without the gasket) but it can't hurt.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Dart Guide:
Sodizzle originally uses a piece of thin wall PVC to help guide darts into the barrel. I ended up using the dart chamber instead. This is the front of the chamber that connects to the barrel to the first wall that slots into the shell. Flip this around and cut it half and you have a guide for the bolt, the dart and have support for the clip as well.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Barrel:
The barrel is glued to the coupler and uses the faux barrel as a spacer so there does not have to be any glue and everything can be shifted or replaced as necessary. Both the bolt and barrel were coned and smoothed so it is easier to feed and push darts.

Posted Image

Posted Image

OOPS:
When determining where to attach the bolt connector for the bolt sled I did not have the plunger rod attached which caused the alignment to be off due to the draw length being different. Here are some of the fixes to that mistake. (Rather than try to remove the connector and re-attach)
Basically the bolt was too far forward which meant everything needed to be shifted and so......

Plunger rod:
I originally thought that the priming draw of the bold sled went all the way to the plunger tube but that is incorrect. It stops before the plunger tube due to the priming indicator and the end of the plunger rod. Removing the priming indicator and some of the plunger rod allowed me to use the extra space to lengthen the draw enough for my setup. Make sure to bevel the end of the plunger rod to allow it to pass under the catch smoothly.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Bolt sled:
Remove the front nubs of the bolt sled to allow the sled to travel further forward.

Posted Image

Coupler:
The faux barrel was cut down to move the coupler forward and a spacer from another barrel was glued to the dart guide.

Posted Image

WAIT:
What I really should have done was just cut down the bolt. (DUH) I removed a small bit from the bolt and presto! I was able to move the barrel assembly back to the original position and loading darts worked great!

Youtube Mod Video
Youtube Firing Video

Range Tests:

LS + BBB Combo: Average 85'
K18 Single: Average 80'
K18 + BBB Combo: Average 115'

The K18 is slightly easier to prime than a [k26] and it doesn't feel like it will rip everything apart. This is a great spring for the LS.

Thanks to Sodizzle for the original build. This is a fun mod that I'll probably be doing to the rest of my Longshots.

Posted Image

Edited by popatachi, 11 October 2011 - 11:21 PM.

#2 Eraser475

Eraser475

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 03:39 PM

Since it is clip accepting, can it still use streamlines or just stefans?
Very clean mod!
"That seems like substantially less fun than filling it with beer". -Draconis

"There is no such thing as over kill! If you can carry it and prime it. You're good to go". -Makeitgo

"Admin Edit: Dumbest Crossbow in existence. Congratulations!" <-- Admin in the Show off your crossbow thread.

#3 Green Wing

Green Wing

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 06:25 PM

Nice, this is a very easy writup to follow. How often does it jam compared to an Angel Breech?

#4 chavez guy

chavez guy

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 07:01 PM

I tried making a sodizzle breach a while ago (a couple months) but I kept fucking up one way or another and then I eventually ragequat and turned my longshot into something else.

Would you mind giving us some measurements as to how long certain things should be and distance between certain pieces? as this is where my last mistake was made and caused me to give up.
Hablamos EspaƱol

#5 spencerak

spencerak

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 07:13 PM

Two years ago I tried to do something like this except I used pump tube stuff as a guide for the CPVC and it didn't have a coupler in it so the seal sucked.

Holy shit it's Captain Slug.

#6 popatachi

popatachi

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 10:44 PM

@Eraser475: This is just for stefans. Thanks!

@Green Wing: Rarely jams. It feeds really well.

@chavez_guy: I can get you measurements that I used, but I wouldn't use those as the exact ones since on this one, I didn't get the connector in the correct spot. I knew that the barrel was going to be about 10" so I cut a length about 12" for the barrel and put that into the coupler and figured out where I wanted the coupler. Then I cut out a 7" length for the bolt and once that was glued into the bolt base, I marked where it would hit the edge of the coupler. Then I knew roughly where to do my cut to match the barrel. I hope that makes sense.

@spencerak: You should definitely use a coupler to get a good seal.

#7 jakester125

jakester125

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 01:02 PM

Thank you for posting this build. I'm hoping to make a breech for my long shot similar to this one. I have to say yours looks very clean.

What is integrated into the above long shot? Although yours specifically uses Stefans, it still appears possible to use stock streamlines with minor modification to the build.

#8 windtex1

windtex1

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 01:21 PM

I have a little bit to suggest. First, you could use a 2k pump tube ( cut down to an inch or two), or you could use 5/8 brass. I know the point of this breach is to minimized brass, but its just an easy alternative to having to sand down a coupler. So pops, how did you sand out your coupler?
I am open to contracts. I am relatively cheap. PM me

In Soviet Russia, blasters mod YOU!!
In Soviet Russia, darts shoot YOU!!

legendary, just...legendary
I make home-mades

#9 CuppaSteve

CuppaSteve

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 02:59 PM

I have a little bit to suggest. First, you could use a 2k pump tube ( cut down to an inch or two), or you could use 5/8 brass. I know the point of this breach is to minimized brass, but its just an easy alternative to having to sand down a coupler. So pops, how did you sand out your coupler?

You can use a 5/8ths sanding drum on your dremel, or drill it out with a 5/8ths bit. I used my dremel when I did Sodizzle's mod and my breech has a perfect seal.

#10 popatachi

popatachi

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 07:31 PM

@jakester125: The purple LS currently has a brass breach with stock and [k26] spring combo.

@windtex1: Good to know. Luckily I have couplers laying around and these are pretty cheap. I just used a sanding bit on my dremel.

Also I've updated the original post with an internal and firing video: Youtube Video

#11 jakester125

jakester125

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 07:07 PM

@jakester125: The purple LS currently has a brass breach with stock and [k26] spring combo.

@windtex1: Good to know. Luckily I have couplers laying around and these are pretty cheap. I just used a sanding bit on my dremel.

Also I've updated the original post with an internal and firing video: Youtube Video

I regret not being more clear about my question. I meant what was integrated under the barrel of the purple long shot.

#12 popatachi

popatachi

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 11:21 PM

@jakester125: Nothing is integrated there. I never decided on anything and so far, it's still just waiting for something. Maybe an AT2K, but I'm not sure just yet. Now it just serves as a comfy hand rest.

#13 jakester125

jakester125

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 07:27 AM

@jakester125: Nothing is integrated there. I never decided on anything and so far, it's still just waiting for something. Maybe an AT2K, but I'm not sure just yet. Now it just serves as a comfy hand rest.

Forgive me if I've been vague, but what is the piece that serves as a comfy hand rest.

#14 spencerak

spencerak

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 03:02 PM

Please correct me if I am wrong but I believe he is talking about the integrated LSFG on the purple shell.

Holy shit it's Captain Slug.

#15 jakester125

jakester125

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 09:32 PM

Please correct me if I am wrong but I believe he is talking about the integrated LSFG on the purple shell.

Yes. I realize now that parts of the front gun are cut off. It looks very comfortable and unique. I like it.

#16 agc2k

agc2k

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 07:09 AM

Awesome mod!

#17 jon evans

jon evans

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 01:00 AM

Since it is clip accepting, can it still use streamlines or just stefans?
Very clean mod!

If you just move the coupler back closer to the plunger then the cpvc can move farther back to allow longer darts to slide up in (streamlines)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users