Photo

Replacing Check Valves

3 replies to this topic

#1 J cobbers

J cobbers

• Members
  • 586 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 10:06 AM

So the check valve to the pump on my At2k that I have integrated into my xbow busted. Wouldn't hold pressure at all, infact it leaked right back out the pump. For those of you wondering, the check valve is at the end of the pump for most of the supermaxx and air air teck guns, this is also the case for the Wild fire, and I assume the RF20. The construction is amazingly simple. It consists of two parts, a wall at the end of the pump tube with four semi circular holes and one small round hole, and a rubber seal that is baisically a disk with a stem that goes through the small hole in the wall and pokes out on the side the pump is on. The stem has a cone shape to the part that goes through the hole so it can't pull back out, and keeps the disk secure against the wall so when air is pumped in it doesn't go back into pump tube.

Anyway, if the stem on the rubber disk gets pushed back or damaged, the valve will fail, and trust me you can't fix it. Thus you need to find a replacement. Supermaxx guns and air tecks are all gone from my area and after hunting hardware stores, the obvious answer dawned on me. Hasbro makes both nerf and super soakers. Both lines have similar needs for check valves, so it only makes sense that they'd have used the same design. A trip to Target and 10 bucks later I had a set of Max-D 3000's. opened up one and sure enough the pump is the same design check valve and all. All I had to do is cut it out, splice it onto the At2K with some lager vinal tubing and hose clamps and volia, gun fixed.

Don't forget to eat your meat based vegetable substitute children.

#2 xedice

xedice

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 10:47 AM

You CAN fix check valves. I over pumped my AT3k and the check valve was damaged, I put it under water, and made sure it was the check valve. To fix it, I cut out a section out of the back of the pump, so I look at what was wrong with it. I lubed it up, mashed it againts the holes and twisted it around. Then I gooped and epoxied the section back together. I guess it wasn't really broken, just the disk had folded over. It does hold air, but if you pump it up, let it sit for a few minutes, then fire, it is noticeably weaker meaning air is leaking very slowly somewhere.

And yes, super soaker pumps work very well. Its getting to be summer time so you can find cheap multi packs of super soakers to salvage parts from just about anywhere.

Edited by xedice, 10 May 2004 - 10:47 AM.

Shmokin' weed, Shmokin' wizz
Doin' coke, drinkin' beers, Drinkin' beers beers beers
Rollin' fatties, Smokin' blunts
Who smokes the blunts? We smoke the blunts
-Jay

#3 Jangadance

Jangadance

• Members
  • 676 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 02:16 PM

Sounds cool, cobbers. Now I know a good store-bought donor for pumps. I would like to mention, you should mess around with the MAX-D valves, they are a step above the common SM/AT pull valves that Hasbro/Larami uses. It's a very fast opening ball valve, from what I've heard. See if it's worth using for anything. From Vassili's EaB/super soaker weapon, it's apparent that Super Soaker valves work well for integrations etc.
"The 'dance goes on..."

#4 J cobbers

J cobbers

• Members
  • 586 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 01:42 PM

Sounds cool, cobbers. Now I know a good store-bought donor for pumps. I would like to mention, you should mess around with the MAX-D valves, they are a step above the common SM/AT pull valves that Hasbro/Larami uses. It's a very fast opening ball valve, from what I've heard. See if it's worth using for anything. From Vassili's EaB/super soaker weapon, it's apparent that Super Soaker valves work well for integrations etc.

Yeah I saw the valve when I opened up the gun. There is probably a lot of potential there as a replacement for ball valves on home mades. The release is faster and automativally returns. Also the vinal tubing on the back, and the front of the gun fit nicely into 1/2 PVC.

Don't forget to eat your meat based vegetable substitute children.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users