Photo

Semi-auto Shotgun

Slamfiring gravity fed-HAMP that doesn't use wyes.

10 replies to this topic

#1 KaneTheMediocre

KaneTheMediocre

Belligerent Asshole

• Members
  • 613 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 09:53 PM

This gun uses the HAMP propulsion system, written up here:
http://nerfhaven.com...showtopic=18962

Posted Image

Orange tip is the barrel, which is substantially below the HAMP. The blaster is by necessity fired from the hip, and fires 5 darts each time the HAMP plunger is cycled. The number of darts fired is determined by the number of darts that fit between the 45 and the T connector. Gravity feed easily puts darts in front of the air source, so it seems easier to feed than a wye hopper clip

Posted Image

To stabilize the plunger, a PVC saddle connects the plunger to a stick of PVC with a hole drilled into it. The mostly red support is wood and cardboard with mad duct tape, and it stabilizes the barrel. The barrel is PVC with a flared PETG insert, but can also be made with sch 80 pipe. Dart entries are made basically the same as with airgun-fed hopper clips, which are described here:

http://nerfhaven.com...showtopic=19569

Posted Image

Posted Image

As with all HAMPs, range is partly determined by how hard you pull the plunger. Range is about 3/4 of what you would get out of a single firing hopper-HAMP. I find 100' to be a reasonable pull for a single dart, 75' for this shotgun. The spread is less than I would like, but still very helpful at medium range. That said, this blaster eats ammo faster than anything else I have, even the Compensator (but not the now divided PreCompensator)

Edited by KaneTheMediocre, 01 June 2010 - 10:30 PM.

RAINBOW CLAN FTW
I'm Purple

My Half-Baked MHA Site

#2 Hippopotamus

Hippopotamus

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 12:40 AM

Wow, excellent work, very clever. I also love the look as well, it seems lighter, is this true?
Shrimp!

#3 MindWarrior

MindWarrior

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 01:31 AM

One question: How the hell do you hold it? Do you hold it with the Manual plunger over your shoulder, or under it?
QUOTE(Ryan201821 @ Jan 2 2010, 03:20 PM) View Post

Seriously, no penis pumps or dildos on your Nerf blasters.

REVOLUTION BABY!

#4 SonReeceSonJensen

SonReeceSonJensen

• Members
  • 662 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 08:02 AM

Dammit, stop hogging all the awesome.

Nice work again, I have found a use for that extra $7.50 I have lying around.

I feel like it could go in a Firefly shell…
The Difference:
-Guns shoot bullets that kill people
-Blasters shoot darts that tag people

I do not play with guns.

#5 Galaxy613

Galaxy613

• Members
  • 999 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 11:05 AM

I was worried that this was gonna be another half-baked idea thread, but I am glad to be surprised by working HAMP variant. :)

I really like the the rethinking of the hopper mag to not have to use wyes.

To fit it into a firefly shell you'll have to modify the angled coupler, because the firefly's bottom bar is not at 45 degrees..

Edited by Galaxy613, 02 June 2010 - 11:06 AM.

[Former Caretaker of the Guru Mk2]

#6 Coal Ten

Coal Ten

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 11:46 AM

I really like this, especially how the distance between the Tee and elbow can be adjusted for a different number of darts. I'm guessing that 2 is the amount of darts that would be shot if the distance between the elbow and tee was minimized, does that sound right to anyone else?

#7 taerKitty

taerKitty

• Members
  • 883 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 03:51 PM

The number of darts fired is determined by the number of darts that fit between the 45 and the T connector. Gravity feed easily puts darts in front of the air source, so it seems easier to feed than a wye hopper clip.

I thought one of the advantages of using the 'sanitary tee' (a.k.a. 'wye') is so airflow is less disrupted. Does this suffer any performance degradation compared to a wye?

(That said, it looks major-league sweet, and accessible for those who don't want to / can't order a wye from online.)
Fugly is a feature.

#8 KaneTheMediocre

KaneTheMediocre

Belligerent Asshole

• Members
  • 613 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 05:11 PM

In reverse order:

There's no easy parallel test to run to see a difference in performance between the T and the wye. The dead-space effect of RSCBs is certainly still present, but it's a moot point with HAMPs, which have way more air than they need, and don't reach very high pressures.

I think that this sort of system could be used to fire a single dart, but you might need to cut back the T and 45 just a bit.

Usually I hold it with the HAMP over my shoulder, to keep the barrel as close to my head as possible--it's still much closer to my hip, but I certainly wouldn't want it lower than it has to be.

The HAMP is about the same weight as a hopper-HAMP, in fact it uses slightly MORE PVC than others. However, if you use dense material for your barrel spacer / have lots of space to fill (on a hopper HAMP), that might make it heavier than the shotgun.
RAINBOW CLAN FTW
I'm Purple

My Half-Baked MHA Site

#9 sllewgh

sllewgh

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 12:13 AM

I know you can't really get stock darts through a wye/in any hopper design I've ever seen, but can that angle-bend work with any sort of stock ammo, shortened or otherwise?

#10 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 12:39 AM

I'm extremely intrigued by how air gets behind the darts in the "clip" and then only fires those out. Really an awesome idea. Great work.

#11 ejrasmussen

ejrasmussen

• Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 06:45 AM

You just blew my mind, seriously. The shotgun barrel is so simple but yet so ingenious that I now feel like an idiot for never thinking of this, I just got back into Nerf this summer after a while of a break and this is the only thread I am actually intrigued to post in because this idea is so amazing. Now I really feel like making a HAMP. Keep up with the sweet homemades.

Also do the stripes represent how many kills you get with it in 5 seconds?

Edit: Checked out your videos on youtube, was amazed, then clicked Subscribe.

Edited by ejrasmussen, 03 June 2010 - 07:06 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users