Singled Doubleshot Mod

Let's put this pile to use!

11 replies to this topic

#1 Coffeepillow

Coffeepillow

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 11:14 PM

Hello everyone, I am Coffeepillow. I have been lurking on Nerfhaven for the last year or so. I have done some mods on Nitefinders, a maverick, and a Longshot, but this is my first mod that was my own idea and was successful.

So basically I bought a Doubleshot around the holidays when they were $8 at Target. Unsurprisingly, it was the worst gun I have ever seen, but it had some potential for modification. I tried to keep the double barrel gun Idea, but it still sucked even after a few days of messing with it, so I decided to single it.

Tools you will need

-screwdriver
-a hacksaw
-Scissors
-hot glue and super glue
-an x-acto knife

-expanding foam
-1/2" CPVC and 3/4" PVC ( you can use brass if you want to)
-1/4" diameter clear vinyl tubing (like aquarium tubing, you only need about a foot of it)
-a beefier helical torsion spring (for the trigger)
-A carabiner

Just as a heads up, I don't have any pics of the internals because I couldn't keep the springs stable without both sides of the frame on and screwed down. If you need a pic for reference, go to the internals thread.

Open up your doublshot. Remove the pulley and cut a hole in the back end to make it rear cocking. I added a spring to the outside so the carabiner doesn't smack me in the face when it fires.

Posted Image

Now that the barrel and grip are free, take it out completely. Rip that barrel off any way you can, there are a few screws in there, so if you can't break it off you may need to open up the grip by removing the screws.

Toss that POS barrel away (but keep the little rod that holds the pulley in place, that will be used later). You should have a completely empty grip at this point, then fill it up with the expanding foam ( be sure to do it in spurts so it can cure completely). It should look like this.

Posted Image

When it dries, cut the excess off the tops and sides so it is a flat plane across the open ends. cut a small groove out of the top to fit a piece of your 1/2" pvc (you can press it down to fit the exact spot later). Set it aside and go on to the internals.

Grab the plunger system and take the orange tip off. Then gently break the black part on the end that faces the barrel (it is glued down tight so you may need to run it under some hot water to get it off without doing too much damage). If you pulled it off correctly, there should be two small, green pipes sticking out. If they broke off then you will just have to drill a hole in it big enough to fit the aquarium tubing in.

Cut two pieces of the tubing to about 5" for now, you can cut the specific size later. dab some super glue onto the green pipes and push the aquarium tubing over them and glue them down some more.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Set that aside and grab a dart shell. Using a hacksaw, cut a rectangle on the back end of the shell just big enough to squeeze your two tubes into. Get those ARs out of there somehow. You should be able to see through the shell completely.

Next, cut a piece of pvc to the length of the grip. Then cut a breech hole in it in a spot where you can fit the entire shell in one end and still have a little extra room in front of it without it poking out of the front. Like so,

Posted Image

Score the inside end of the pvc and the outside of your modified shell casing, then coat both thoroughly with super glue then stick the shell into the end so that the rectangle cut it horizontal to the breech cut and the back end is flush with the end of the pvc.

Posted Image

Set that aside and move on to the trigger. Take those crappy black springs off that are so weak that you can't even pull the entire plunger back. You will need one of these awesomely beefy springs that do hold the pressure and then some.

Posted Image

I found them at a surplus store called Ax-Man here in Minneapolis, but I am not sure where you can find them regularly. If you find them somewhere else, let us know.

They are a little too big to fit on the black trigger mechanism, but whatever. You can fit one in between the two, but the other will have to fit onto the bottom of one. Just make sure that you don't block the movement of the mechanisms.

In order to get both of them to fire simultaneously, you will need to drill a small hole into the end towards the plungers to fit that small rod you saved from the pulley in the barrel. Stick that in there and glue it in. If you have other small rods or screws that you can use for the same purpose, then go ahead and do this again in another spot for stablility. Otherwise I just duct taped across the two a few times and it seems to work fine.

Take the orange tab off that held the barrel in place, I am using it as a breech tab, you may want to as well.

Now you need to put the frame back together with the grip on as well. Stick the two tubes from the plunger through the hole where the barrel was, make sure everything is set and get the thing closed ( you may have to get it partly closed and push the rod for the trigger mechanism in place with a flathead screwdriver since it will move from the pressure of the beefier spring).

Once you have everything closed up, you will need to take care of the hinge on the grip.. Since you don't want it to move, you need to put some glue on the flat sides that touch on the side of the grip and the frame.

Now you need to put the pvc in place. Cut the tubes from the plunger down so that they go into the cut shell casing with just a little bit of it inside the shell and the back of the pvc can almost touch the frame of the gun. Glue the tubes to the shell with super glue.

THIS IS IMPORTANT: Seal the heck out of this back end before you go any further. Use hot glue or whatever you prefer, but just make sure it will not leak any air because it is practically impossible to get to once it is fully put together.

Next, push the pvc down to fit the groove in the foam and make sure that the pvc is straight. Glue that down with some superglue and fill any gaps with hot glue.

Almost done, we just need a barrel for the gun. Get a piece of cpvc and cut it down to whatever length you feel is appropriate. mine is like 1 1/2 feet long, but I have not done any research about the most effective barrel length for how much pressure there is. I went to college for art, not math...

On one end of the barrel, take a dremel or sandpaper and sand down the inside of the barrel so it can snugly fit over the small end of a dart shell. This will help seal the "blast chamber" and get the most out of your gun. Slide that sucker in and make sure it fits nicely.

Push it all the way down and make sure it doesn't move. Mark that spot on your barrel and score it so you can put your breech tab on. Take that orange latch that held the barrel to the frame and glue one end on so it sticks out to the side. Cut a little notch on the side of the pvc as well to create a lock for the breech.

Posted Image

Let everything dry and you should be finished. I will at some point cover the foam in the grip with some plexiglass and paint it, but you can do whatever you want with it.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I really hope that somebody else does this mod. I get a pretty consistent 50' flat and 60+' angled, but I do have a bit of an issue with the seal, so I am hopeful that it will perform much better with that fixed.

I hope you enjoy my mod and you can expect to see more from me at some point in the future, unless VACC swoops in and bans me (which is a good possibility given the angry email I wrote a few weeks ago...).

#2 nostyleguy

nostyleguy

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 12:14 AM

Wow, this is a pretty neat first write up.

I think some more pictures towards the middle would have helped, but I understand what you were saying about not being able to hold it open and work a camera.

I really like the breech tab, looks so natural.

Black CPVC? I dont think my 1/2" cpvc fits in 3/4" cpvc. Pretty nifty you didn't have to sand the barrel, or bore out the outside of the breech.

I'm gonna guess that an 18" barrel is too long for this application. Springers with much higher airoutput (LS, BB, +Bow) don't even take that much. My suggestion would be to cut it off an inch or 2 at a time and see if it keeps helping. Once it stops helping, stop cutting. Of course you want to do a lot of trials at each length, and do an average. Hopefully that's not too much math for ya :) (Just playing around, no offense meant).

Overall looks like a pretty solid gun, and a nice write up.

#3 Soothsayer

Soothsayer

• Members
  • 663 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 01:29 AM

I like this up until I hear the ranges. I don't wanna sound hostile or like an asshole, but it sounds like you've done /something/ wrong. Seal issues sounds like it. Putting both of those plungers powers into 1 barrel seems like you should be hitting at least 70 or so.

It's a very nice idea that I will certainly delve into when I get my hands on a busted double shot or on clearance.

yeah I'm that guy who made that cool thing with the cool paint.

#4 Vinnie D

Vinnie D

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 03:32 AM

I find that 3" is the ideal length for a double shot, so even at maximum output, a 6" barrel would be the longest you'd want on this thing to get the best ranges. It's a good idea what with it doubling the air displacement in your shot, but it seems that something is holding it back.

#5 VelveetaAvenger

VelveetaAvenger

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 01:11 PM

It's pretty impressive that the darts even making it out of a foot and a half barrel in my opinion. You should try a shorter barrel, and you could eliminate some deadspace by just using the end of a shell instead of sticking the entire thing in the pvc.

Are you planning on coming to any Minnesota wars? I think we've got one coming up this weekend.
"I never saw Beastmaster, I just wanted to be cool..."

#6 Hi Yah

Hi Yah

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 03:05 PM

Black CPVC? I dont think my 1/2" cpvc fits in 3/4" cpvc. Pretty nifty you didn't have to sand the barrel, or bore out the outside of the breech.

1/2" CPVC easily fits inside 3/4 CPVC with little bit of wiggle room.
The yellow balls are also slightly smaller in diameter than the green ones.

#7 nostyleguy

nostyleguy

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 03:57 PM

1/2" CPVC easily fits inside 3/4 CPVC with little bit of wiggle room.

Bah yeah. I was thinking 1/2" Cpvc in 1/2" PVC. I've used a 5/8" drill bit to bore out PVC a few times so I kinda assumed that he was using it, and I was surprised to see no boring necessary. /Fail

#8 Coffeepillow

Coffeepillow

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 12:07 AM

Thanks for all the input everyone.

Soothsayer: I know that there is a seal issue. I can blow down the barrel and feel air coming out of the back where the two tubes connect. I will try to fix it at some point by funneling some glue down with a straw (just thought of that actually. Don't I feel stupid...)

I don't really understand the difference between PVC and CPVC, I just go to the hardware store with pieces and fit pipes into pipes and go with that.

I like the look of the rifle with the barrel at that length, but I will probably cut it down when I go to a war. Speaking of which, I don't know about this upcoming war, but I will definitely be at the Season of Foam war in St. Paul.

I'm working on an external attachment for the Hornet that will route all six barrels into one that you can remove so you can still use the hornet regularly. I'm about halfway done with it, but I am out of town until Sunday so expect it soon after that.

#9 Lion

Lion

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 12:32 AM

Does the trigger still fire each tube 1 at a time like the stock double shot? or did you change the catch so they both fire at the exact same time?

#10 angel of nerf

angel of nerf

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 08:58 AM

I have found in my limited modding experience that super glue isn't a good sealant. I would Suggest Getting Plumbers Goop. Great idea by the way Singling a double shot.

#11 erfig

erfig

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 05:34 AM

Coffee, try taking the shell out and getting a new one. This time you could drill 2 seperate hole in the back, instead of one rectangular opening. I don't know if this would work because then air would be coming down the edging of the barrel, and it might not push the dart as far. That shouldn't be a problem, but it might affect ranges somewhat. Good mod otherwise, I might do it.
For those who say nerf is for kids, just take a look at this.

#12 Coffeepillow

Coffeepillow

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 12:36 PM

Coffee, try taking the shell out and getting a new one. This time you could drill 2 seperate hole in the back, instead of one rectangular opening. I don't know if this would work because then air would be coming down the edging of the barrel, and it might not push the dart as far. That shouldn't be a problem, but it might affect ranges somewhat. Good mod otherwise, I might do it.

I would have done that, but I didn't have a 3/4" drill bit at that time. Now I do, so I may try it again if I get another doubleshot. This one is so glued up that it is too difficult to get back into.

The only thing I worry about in the drilling is that the back of a shell isn't all that big, so you may end up with a hole or two on the side as you said. Try it and let me know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users