Hamp N Arrow

also RSCB for stock micros

7 replies to this topic

#1 Coal Ten

Coal Ten

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 05:36 PM

This write-up is for a pull-and-release type HAMP.
Posted Image

Step One:
Make a HAMP plunger head and plunger tube following KaneTheMediocre's excellent writeup.
Posted Image

Step Two:
Attach whatever barrel material you choose to your plunger tube. In this case I drilled a 5/8" hole into the front.
Posted Image
I then inserted CPVC nested into a few inches of a Longshot's faux barrel, for shooting arrows (thanks VelveetaAvenger).
Posted Image

You could also affix a 1/2" PVC tee to the side of the plunger tube.
Posted Image
For the clip of the RSCB, I used 10" of 1/2" PVC drilled out to 5/8".
Posted Image
I used about 15" of 1/2" PVC for the barrel.

Step Three:
Drill a 7/8" hole near the end of your plunger tube.
Posted Image
Now insert and glue some 1/2" PVC for a handle.

Step Four:
Use four 10" long mini bungee cords (two attached to each other) for the "release" part of your gun.
Posted Image

Done!
I don't have any official ranges yet, but it does shoot pretty hard. I find that suction micros work best in the RSCB because the velcro on taggers tends to get splayed out, and jam.

Edited by Coal Ten, 26 March 2010 - 06:25 PM.

#2 stuck by stefan

stuck by stefan

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 06:24 PM

I think I'm in love. bow and arrow, HAMP? My two favorite things in the world.

I'm not cleaning my computer.

This is the NerfHaven profile of Northeast Designs. For more info visit https://www.facebook...p8OwIso&fref=nf

Old school Nerf engineer since 2008

#3 Broderick

Broderick

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 10:23 PM

Not that this mod isn't great and all... but isn't this like, a major safety hazard? I mean, you have no holes drilled to secure the bungees into the PVC. And how do you really hold this? I built a HAMP the other night (albeit unsuccessful the first attempt, I need to add more yarn, or get a secure endcap or plug), and it's pretty easy to fire, but you've got some force to contend with here.
Does the RSCB jam much? What type of ammo do you use, Taggers or Suckers? The title said Micros, but I'm not sure if you mean whisters. It seems like the heads of the darts would cause problems when they go through the T into the main barrel.
Despite the safety issue, great mod; a really inventive idea, it's cool. I thought about the concept of a pull and release HAMP, but I didn't really think much of it.

#4 Coal Ten

Coal Ten

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 10:26 AM

Not that this mod isn't great and all... but isn't this like, a major safety hazard?

Thank you, I had completely forgotten to mention that. I drilled (1/4"?) holes into the handle to secure the bungees.
Posted Image

I also glued a piece of 2" PVC to the front to stop the bungees from slamming into my face.
Posted Image

The RSCB does jam occasionally, but I don't intend on using this in a war. These guns were more of a "Hey wouldn't it be fun if..." sort of thing.

#5 KaneTheMediocre

KaneTheMediocre

Belligerent Asshole

• Members
  • 613 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 06:27 PM

Nice work. I'd like to see more homemade missile weapons. I (very) crudely used singled HAMPs to fire missiles, but not very well. It seemed that since the distance that the arrow travels while being pushed by the blaster is limited to the depth of the hole in the missile--usually about 3 inches. This required a tight fit in order to build the pressure needed for a hard missile shot.

The bungee cords don't seem terribly well secured, but I think that's quite forgiveable for a prototype that you don't plan on using at a war. I'm very interested to hear how well it shoots rockets.
RAINBOW CLAN FTW
I'm Purple

My Half-Baked MHA Site

#6 OnyxZenith

OnyxZenith

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 12:08 AM

Woah so all this HAMP buisness, the plunger? It's completely airtight? :o
SoothSayer-

"Just adding some lube and twisting it back and forth for a while should make it easier"

Subscribe to my Music page and mods >> http://www.youtube.com/user/OnyxMP312

#7 Coal Ten

Coal Ten

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 03:23 PM

The plunger does not have a 100% seal, but the HAMP puts out so much air that its not very noticeable if you use a proper barrel.

Although this is bringing up problems when using arrows, because as Kane stated, arrows need a tight barrel, something the HAMP doesn't respond to very well. The barrel needed to receive maximum distance with an arrow is too tight and all of the built up pressure is leaking out around the yarns imperfect seal.

I'm experimenting with different tightness of barrels using e-tape wrapped around CPVC (flipoffacliff suggested this over PM). Once I discover what is the best tightness, I'll post my results and a video.

#8 Broderick

Broderick

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 06:42 PM

Alright, nevermind then, I didn't see the holes in the OP pictures. :lol:
Again though, great concept. I didn't really think about using an RSCB with a HAMP; although, if you used a ball valve to connect two clips, I think that since to get a good barrel fit for the HAMP to work you need a loose barrel, it would shotgun load and you could have a decent amount of shots.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users