Mega Missile Decrapification

Pump replacement, coupler and more.

28 replies to this topic

#1 rork

rork

• Members
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 09:36 PM

The Buzz Bee Mega Missile (MM hereafter) has a great tank, but that's about it; the handle is less than comfy, and the pump is fucking ridiculous, requiring some 25 pumps to pop the OPV. This mod will show you how to turn it into a fantastic primary.
You will need: a Buzz Bee Mega Missile, a standard $5-6 ball pump, a 3/4x1/2" pvc reducing bushing, epoxy putty, CA glue, and goop.
Internals:
Posted Image
Cut the tank down like so, removing the stock barrel and pump tube.
Posted Image
Fill the stub of the pump tube with epoxy putty, making sure you don't foul the original check valve. Then press the end of the new pump into the soft epoxy putty, making a fairly exact impression.
Posted Image
Coat the end of the pump with CA glue (I prefer Loc-Tite). Then press it into the end of the tank.
When it's dry, go ahead and goop around the joint. (I later added a ring of epoxy putty, just for excessiveness' sake.)
Posted Image
Glue on your bushing. I used a probably lethal combination of goop and CA glue.
Posted Image
You'll need to dremel this out, so that the ball pump fits. It ain't a subtle process; just keep removing plastic until it fits in there tightly. You should be able to keep all 3 screws if you're careful.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Dremel the front out for the bushing.
Posted Image
And you're done. However, I wanted more. Due to the shape of the shell, a pvc turnaround has to fit sideways.
Posted Image
I wanted to take advantage of this. So I made a triple speedloader.
Posted Image
And remember that small grip? I cut a couple of lengths of 3/8" PEX, taped 'em together, then taped it to the handle. Primitive, but highly effective. You could get as sophisticated as you want with this, of course.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Family photo:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Now, you may be thinking: "Rork, isn't replacing the stock pump with a ballpump just like plugging it?" The answer is no. The large face of the ball pump prevents building up too much pressure; you need some muscle to pump this. 1 pump fills it up nicely. And yes, you can do this same mod to a BBBB or LBB, with great results.
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20296" target="_blank">SNAPbow Mk. V</a>
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20409" target="_blank">Make it pump-action</a>

#2 NerfRogue83

NerfRogue83

• Members
  • 646 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 09:48 PM

Very nice Rork. I am kinda glad you didnt have this done for SOFA, your BBBB/MM did enough damage. Maybe I missed it, but what barrel length are you using?---Rogue.
IRC chat: louiec3-- he offered $500 for someone to build a bomb he could send to his ex wife
Rknight-- wow......N9---your dad is in trouble now!

#3 rork

rork

• Members
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 09:54 PM

Hehehe. It's a full foot of petg on there. This thing is sort of like some mutant spawn of a 2k and a BBBB, and I fracking love it.
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20296" target="_blank">SNAPbow Mk. V</a>
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20409" target="_blank">Make it pump-action</a>

#4 orogomi ninja

orogomi ninja

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 10:08 PM

Wow nice, I am just curious to what the exact ranges are. ( has to be over 100) yeah that pump is a bitch, looks like the best alternative. I would have just put the tank in another shell.

Magnificent! ^_^
QUOTE(Blacksunshine @ Dec 23 2008, 06:18 PM) View Post

Thats the way I do it. Use a rag with some light fast rubbing.

Sometimes I hate my uncontrollable imagination....

#5 Nerf Bros

Nerf Bros

• Members
  • 309 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 10:10 PM

Whats your favorite source for ball pumps? I've been looking for one for my sgsl and this one could be perfect. Nice mod, makes a useless but good blaster war worthy. Ranges? BBBB like?
We have no sig.

#6 DartzDude

DartzDude

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 10:14 PM

Nice Job, It's cool that the new pump will act like a stock. Is the gun comfortable to hold?Ranges? Once again nice job.
When life gives you burrito's, you simply devour them!

#7 Jangadance

Jangadance

• Members
  • 676 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 10:23 PM

I haven't seen this blaster, actually... Why does Buzz Bee make such horrendous shells? I mean seriously. And that pump is heresy. Has anyone posted comparison pics to the Blast Bazooka?

The air tank, or in other words, pull valve, is the only redeeming quality of this blaster... And Lanard seems like they essentially minimized their Blast Bazooka and put it in an tragically ugly casing. As far as the mod, I'd say simply based on the fact that it can achieve higher pressure with a bike pump past the 100 PSI mark, this is an equivalent to plugging a stock pump. But these things can be case by case and "house ruled".

edit: Looks like it could present a cheap, ugly, and decent blaster even with the detractors... thanks for the writeup! ^_^

Edited by Jangadance, 19 August 2009 - 10:32 PM.

"The 'dance goes on..."

#8 Norther of Heaven

Norther of Heaven

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 10:47 PM

Thats just beautiful. I've always been opposed to getting one because of the pump-length. Nice job, and seconded about the not bringing it to SOFA, even though i did not go.
"I don't always drink beer. But when I do,
I beat my wife."

#9 bigred1rifleman

bigred1rifleman

• Members
  • 414 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 10:53 PM

Wow, this is really cool. I've got several questions, though.

1. Where could I purchase one of these "MMs"?
2. What's CA glue? Is it just a kind of super glue?
3. How many pumps of the originial pump would be equal to one of the new ball pump?
4. Where'd you get that ball pump?

Great mod and write-up. If I can get my hands on one of these I'll definitly do this.

Thanks
Finn

#10 rork

rork

• Members
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 11:21 PM

Wow nice, I am just curious to what the exact ranges are. ( has to be over 100) yeah that pump is a bitch, looks like the best alternative. I would have just put the tank in another shell.

Magnificent! ^_^

It's something less than a BBBB, which is to say, PLENTY. I have no intent of measuring.

Whats your favorite source for ball pumps? I've been looking for one for my sgsl and this one could be perfect. Nice mod, makes a useless but good blaster war worthy. Ranges? BBBB like?

I get my ballpumps at either Wal-Mart, which carries better ones, or K-Mart, where I got this one, as well as the MM.

Nice Job, It's cool that the new pump will act like a stock. Is the gun comfortable to hold?Ranges? Once again nice job.

It is comfy, although I just use it as a big pistol.

I haven't seen this blaster, actually... Why does Buzz Bee make such horrendous shells? I mean seriously. And that pump is heresy. Has anyone posted comparison pics to the Blast Bazooka?

The air tank, or in other words, pull valve, is the only redeeming quality of this blaster... And Lanard seems like they essentially minimized their Blast Bazooka and put it in an tragically ugly casing. As far as the mod, I'd say simply based on the fact that it can achieve higher pressure with a bike pump past the 100 PSI mark, this is an equivalent to plugging a stock pump. But these things can be case by case and "house ruled".

edit: Looks like it could present a cheap, ugly, and decent blaster even with the detractors... thanks for the writeup! :P

Dude, I specifically said Buzz Bee, not Lanard. And the shell works. However, as I said, the ballpump does not in any way create a safety issue. I was using my ball pump modded 4B at SOFA, and no one, including Mag7 ("Omigahd, the mag7 are bannin' mah gunz") member Groove had a problem with it; as I said, the pump is simply too wide to allow high pressures to build.

Thats just beautiful. I've always been opposed to getting one because of the pump-length. Nice job, and seconded about the not bringing it to SOFA, even though i did not go.

It is nice, man. It's a great primary for under $15, which is the kind of thing we need more of.

3. How many pumps of the originial pump would be equal to one of the new ball pump?

Great mod and write-up. If I can get my hands on one of these I'll definitly do this.

Thanks
Finn

CA=cynoacrylate=super glue. Stock pump requires 25, ball pump needs one.

#11 cannotaim

cannotaim

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 11:22 PM

Thanks
Finn

1. I've seen them at kmart.
2. Its just super glue.
3. About 20
4. Anywhere were they sell basketballs and footballs and soccerballs
Blasphemy, what did I warn you about shoving things up your ass? First it was erasers, dice, and gerbils...now my wristbands? What's next, apples and grapefruit?-Groove

Nerflovers

#12 humfree

humfree

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 11:25 PM

Buzzbee has lots of ups and downs with guns and modability.
When your primary doesnt work, try your secondary
When your secondary doesnt work, hit someone with it and check their primary
If their primary doesnt work, go on hiting poeple until you find a gun that works
If no one is left concious when you find a gun that works, leave without warning.

#13 cannotaim

cannotaim

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 11:26 PM

Disregard

Edited by cannotaim, 19 August 2009 - 11:26 PM.

Blasphemy, what did I warn you about shoving things up your ass? First it was erasers, dice, and gerbils...now my wristbands? What's next, apples and grapefruit?-Groove

Nerflovers

#14 Galaxy613

Galaxy613

• Members
  • 999 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 11:31 PM

Yep, I've ONLY seen them at KMarts. I've also seen nice ball pumps at Toy's R Us, even dual action jobbies.
[Former Caretaker of the Guru Mk2]

#15 pongityping

pongityping

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 11:56 PM

Yep, I've ONLY seen them at KMarts. I've also seen nice ball pumps at Toy's R Us, even dual action jobbies.

I tried putting a dual action ball pump in a big blast, a cruder way than rork did, but I found that I couldn't seal it completely air-tight because it had holes in the front for the dual action part that would get covered if I gooped over it. So I would go with normal pumps. It doesn't really matter, because 1-2 pumps should fill the tank anyway.

#16 white moonlight

white moonlight

• Members
  • 305 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 10:25 AM

Very nice mod and it's very cleanly done.

I did a pump replacement with a 2k pump and at 15 pumps I'm hitting 130.

This absolutely amazing though, and it has to be breaking 100, with 1 pump, it's great.
On his trec to Colonfest...
VengefulWaffle BOY, 12 KILLED IN MOUNTAIN PASS BY WILD RACCON, EXPERTS SAY HE ATTEMPTED TO HOLD IT OFF WITH NERF NITEFINDERS
POLICE SAY: ALCOHOL MAY HAVE BEEN INVOLVED
Guess who he was talking about...

#17 jerm78

jerm78

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 10:42 AM

Nice mod. I did something similar but with a Titan pump and expanded the air tank. It didn't fit well in stock shell so I put it in a 3k shell.

#18 Collective

Collective

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 07:57 PM

I've just successfully decrapified my Mega Missile!

Posted Image

Works like a charm. I had to use JB Weld to connect the pump, but otherwise I followed the write up to the letter. Thanks a lot for this mod!

Edited by Collective, 20 August 2009 - 07:57 PM.

"A lot" is two words.

#19 rork

rork

• Members
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 11:29 PM

That looks nice, man. Actually, epoxy of whatever type would be pretty much ideal for this.

#20 Hi Yah

Hi Yah

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 07:32 PM

Great mod! I've always wanted to get a mm but have been discouraged because of the pump.
The yellow balls are also slightly smaller in diameter than the green ones.

#21 ZACHARIAH

ZACHARIAH

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 02:20 PM

Amazing mod! I am thinking about doing this to my big blast. How many pumps would you reccomend (SP?) for a big blast because I don't want to destroy it.
"When the pin is pulled Mr. grenade is not your friend." -US army training manual

#22 rork

rork

• Members
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 08:01 PM

You can't blow a BBBB with a ballpump. 3 pumps is about the maximum that will fit.

#23 ace of nerf

ace of nerf

• Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 04:53 PM

Thanks for this guide rork. Very nice.

Here's my version of it.

Posted Image

1 pump gets 90ft for those of you who want ranges.
Kid Flash "I mainly wanted the balls."

#24 ilzot

ilzot

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 05:42 AM

Just saw this exact pump at Modell's yesterday.

Just saw the same gun at 5 Below a week ago.

I gotta coupler sitting around.

Talk about having to do a group buy soon.

I expect to be doing this soon. Very good job, and pretty clean, even though you doubled the size of it.

Suck-cess, man. Stock MM's piss me off.
QUOTE(Vinnie D. @ Feb 1 2010, 05:28 AM) View Post

... to be able to get a better burst or sustained fire, rather than blowing the whole load at once.

#25 Cappy

Cappy

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 04:44 PM

That is a truely beautiful gun. What size is your ball pump if i missed that? Also is it comfy as a stock? Thanks
"Shoot!!" "OUCH I was kidding damn it!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users