"2009 Dew Tour"

Dart tag championship thing.

63 replies to this topic

#1 Wisp

Wisp

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 11:23 PM

I searched, and the only topic I found on it was like 5 months old, and it was all speculation at that point. I may have missed something, if I did, I apologize.

Anyways, to start things off I'll give some links.

Overview
Rules
Registration form

So basically it's a tournament under Hasbro's official dart tag rules. It's only open to people under 18, so that will make it impossible for a lot of the experienced nerfers here to compete, if they wanted to.
I didn't notice anything in the rules about what guns would be used, but I imagine they would be provided, and would only be stock dart tag guns. The only logical gun, unless then new guns happen to be amazing, would be the magstrike, since I believe that's the only automatic dart tag gun, and if all the guns are stock, the ranges will be pretty much equal to say, a dtb.
Also the other thing of note is the grand prize is 6250$ per person on your team.

So, would anyone consider going to this? I might since the closest city where they are doing it is like 3 hours away, and in the unlikely event that I win, 6000$ would be nice to have.

#2 Echnalaid

Echnalaid

• Members
  • 981 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 12:02 AM

What the shit? Competitive nerf? What the fuck has the world turned into!?!?!? Sounds like a goober's dream! I would never enter one of these, unless it was in my hometown for the hell of it, (Which is illogical, nothing ever happens in East Brunswick). But I would never travel to play anything like a codified nerf war for these reasons-
1- Goober haven. I can't stand 1 Jewstein, let alone 50.
2- Stock Dart Tag guns- I never play without my trusty Bow or Longshot.
3- Most of us at NH would diddle the competition with our running speed, experience, and skill.
4- Goobers lying- Goobers don't have A Code of Honor like real nerfers. They lie and bitch about hits. They make cheap shots. They make dick shots. eg, me tripping and a goober runs at me at makes me take a full Magstrike to the face, or he tackles me into submission and start wailing on me for that shot I made to his arm.
5- No swords? Swords are win.
6- No variety. Nothing's like the feeling of Ninja dodging that Plusbow and rushing in for the kill. In a Dart Tag game, all you got is a DTB, Magstrike, or Crossfire.
7- Rules. It won't be like anything we're used to. We're used to taking hits and getting out, dodgeball style. In Dart Tag, you got a velcro vest to tally up points. Again, goobers lie bout hits.
8- Dart Tag vests. They're unbelievably stupid looking.

Nerf doesn't need a team made of prepubescent goobers. They need nerdy teenagers and adults. And ripped bodybuilders with chainsaws on their guns. And Vikings. And guys who are Legend. And a guy with one arm.

Although I must say I love their new commercials and logo. I love Dart Tag guns, don't get me wrong, but I strongly oppose a "Real" tournament.

Edited by Echnalaid, 15 June 2009 - 12:05 AM.

There was something on the bottom of the ad that said erotyka. Sounds like something spicy -Renegademilitia15

#3 rork

rork

• Members
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 12:15 AM

Take it easy. Of course this pales in comparison to Nerf as we know it. It's just an attempt to do what we're already doing, and make a little money off it. Hasbro makes money, makes more guns, and we get a little bit of free publicity. No harm, no foul.
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20296" target="_blank">SNAPbow Mk. V</a>
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20409" target="_blank">Make it pump-action</a>

#4 Echnalaid

Echnalaid

• Members
  • 981 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 12:44 AM

Take it easy. Of course this pales in comparison to Nerf as we know it. It's just an attempt to do what we're already doing, and make a little money off it. Hasbro makes money, makes more guns, and we get a little bit of free publicity. No harm, no foul.

Yeah you're right. Maybe I'm just suffering from Goober Overload. (Don't ask how)
There was something on the bottom of the ad that said erotyka. Sounds like something spicy -Renegademilitia15

#5 TED

TED

In Brightest Prawn, in Darkest Shrimp...

• Administrators
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 05:01 AM

Yeah you're right. Maybe I'm just suffering from Goober Overload. (Don't ask how)

Maybe you're just a goober.
Star Wars can go fuck itself.

#6 umpshaplapa

umpshaplapa

• Members
  • 636 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 06:48 AM

I so would have entered if it was in Georgia.
QUOTE(Talio @ Jun 29 2009, 01:50 PM) View Post

i got a black belt in noob banning in 2004.

#7 VelveetaAvenger

VelveetaAvenger

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 11:35 AM

Rather then trying to bash an official Nerf tournament, this could be a great opportunity for the nerfers that live in the cities the Dew Tour is visiting. Put a team together with local nerfers, and after you're finished "raping the competition" let the other attendees know about local wars coming up. Make up some pamphlets and pass them out, I'm sure you'll get a few new faces to show up.
"I never saw Beastmaster, I just wanted to be cool..."

#8 flush

flush

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 12:00 PM

I would without a doubt sign up, except for the fact that none of the tour spots are near me. I'd sign up just because $6000 might make my day a little brighter :blink:
and in the case that you win, goobers are a small price to pay
"CAUTION: this product containts lead, a chemical known to cause cancer in the state of California". Of course, you may not live in California, in which case you're safe. Because obviously from the warning you can conclude that lead knows better than to start shit with someone from NJ-Langley

#9 navyseal849

navyseal849

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 12:00 PM

Rather then trying to bash an official Nerf tournament, this could be a great opportunity for the nerfers that live in the cities the Dew Tour is visiting. Put a team together with local nerfers, and after you're finished "raping the competition" let the other attendees know about local wars coming up. Make up some pamphlets and pass them out, I'm sure you'll get a few new faces to show up.

I guess that could get more people to show up at wars but will they have modded guns at the wars? Probably not. They'd get smushed from 80 feet away and they probably wouldn't have fun they would probably just be bitter.
In my city, Philadelphia, their is an event once a week downtown, basically a ton of kids and adults get together and have big wars with foam swords, axes, shields, bows (don't ask how), daggers etc. that they make or buy/trade with each other. I used to do it sometimes but people would lie about hits or they would be like five and would just run around with a dagger ignoring hits and stabbing people. They used to allow nerf guns but they took them out because of fast reload time and freakish range (compared to bows that shoot about 10 feet and swords), while everyone else flounders around with swords. It just didn't work, it was fun I suppose but their are to many people who will lie and just be stupid. Generally if you nerf you are to dedicated to the hobby to get a bad reputation from lying etc. and you know its a game.
The dew tour would just be like that, a bunch of kids lying and being annoying.
To stop yourself from having mood swings take a cyanide pill! Guaranteed to permanently prevent changes in your mood!
QUOTE(Hi Yah! @ Jun 28 2009, 07:45 AM) View Post

That thing is huge! You should get a leash for it.

#10 Wisp

Wisp

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 12:20 PM

To be honest, I'm not the greatest nerfer, I haven't been able to go to any big wars due to my location and lack of a car, only local ones up to this point, but if you take modified guns out of the picture, and since the group I would have to be in (obviously) was 13-17, I have little doubt I could do pretty well.

Though I would guess this is what it would probably be like. Since all the guns are the same, and the ranges are the same, and taking any long range shots would be impossible, one team would just camp and wait.
Also, the main issue for me would be that everyone would use magstrikes (unless there was some restriction on how many each team could have) since in a real war, automatics are good, but limited by their poor range. But if everything's stock, there's no balancing factor.

#11 TheBolt

TheBolt

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 12:23 PM

I might just enter, there being a competition in my area. $6250 might just make it worthwhile. I don't think there would be any good nerfers in my area willing to enter with me, so the problem is I have to find 3 goobers willing to spend the time in competition with me... yeah, it's not worth it.

Edited by TheBolt, 15 June 2009 - 12:26 PM.

#12 VelveetaAvenger

VelveetaAvenger

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 01:42 PM

The dew tour would just be like that, a bunch of kids lying and being annoying.

From seeing similar sports booths at fairs and such, there will be 3 or 4 Nerf employees working as refs. And with the Dart Tag setup I would guess that getting the dart to stick to the opposing team's vest will be what determines a hit. With 25,000 going to the winning team (6,250 to 4 teammates) and a world championship they aren't going to just be throwing kinds in unsupervised. If I were still in high school I'd be all over this.

As far as not having a modded gun for their first wars, I was kinda under the impression that that was fairly common.
"I never saw Beastmaster, I just wanted to be cool..."

#13 Echnalaid

Echnalaid

• Members
  • 981 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 02:51 PM

Maybe you're just a goober.

Touche... Your wit surpasses me.
Seriously, that was a good one.

Edited by Echnalaid, 15 June 2009 - 02:51 PM.

#14 Captain

Captain

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 03:56 PM

I don't know what this could mean for us, and for the hobby as a whole. It could attract a lot more users to this and other nerf websites. If the tour comes near me, I might consider entering.

But I have a bad feeling that there's going to be a flood of younger kids to the hobby, as well as "pro-nerfers" with inflated egos. I don't think any of us will like that.
I don't care what anyone else says, Atom Blasters are fucking awesome.

#15 nerfer13

nerfer13

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 04:11 PM

I think this will be a big blow to the NIC. I think this will bring a lot more nerfers to the NIC (most of whom will be goobers). This also might make nerf a professional sport which not many people would like.
Selling WWII French Rifles:

Condition: Dropped once, Never fired
______

Dylan938 on NHQ, CPVCman100 on FU

#16 Alexiumz

Alexiumz

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 04:37 PM

Am I the only one who thinks it's retarded how it's supposedly a 'World Championship' yet it's only open to residents of the United States? I know Hasbro isn't as supportive about Nerf here in Britain, but come on, the world doesn't solely consist of the US!

#17 nerfer34

nerfer34

• Members
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 04:48 PM

Oh WOW. This is insane. I'm calling it right now, my friends and I will win this. Hahahaha this is going to be soooo easy. Plus we're basically all 17 and run a 40 in under 4.8 seconds and it's only 20 minutes away from where I live.

THANK YOU FOR POSTING THIS!
<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God Damn it Groove, you stole my kill.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->-OMC

#18 nerfer63

nerfer63

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 05:13 PM

I am pretty surprised at how there arent many places to play and that there isnt one in C.A.

#19 Crankymonky

Crankymonky

It's The Dean!

• Members
  • 687 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 06:27 PM

If you have any intent on actually doing this, I'd register very, very quickly.

There are only 8 teams. Or maybe it was 8 teams per age group. Either way, register quickly.
Tyranny Response Team

#20 adama

adama

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 08:32 PM

I would like to say something about this idea that modded guns would make you "uber amazing" in the Nerf tournament.
Having played with a modded gun amongst a group of better then 70% stock guns I can tell you that your ROF is abysmal compared to theirs and at that close range (as I would expect them to have in such a tournament) you will lose every time. You simply can't reload fast enough to not be charged the instant after you have fired.

#21 Wisp

Wisp

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 08:53 PM

I would like to say something about this idea that modded guns would make you "uber amazing" in the Nerf tournament.
Having played with a modded gun amongst a group of better then 70% stock guns I can tell you that your ROF is abysmal compared to theirs and at that close range (as I would expect them to have in such a tournament) you will lose every time. You simply can't reload fast enough to not be charged the instant after you have fired.

Because all modded guns are single shot?

#22 nerfer34

nerfer34

• Members
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 09:09 PM

If you have any intent on actually doing this, I'd register very, very quickly.

There are only 8 teams. Or maybe it was 8 teams per age group. Either way, register quickly.

Ya, I saw that too.... It's actually probably all filled up by now. So wait does that make it so you have a 1/32 chance of winning $25,000? Since there are 8 teams per area and 4 areas....

And damnit I didn't see the October 17, 2009 part of it. It looks like I won't be playing it in it..
<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God Damn it Groove, you stole my kill.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->-OMC

#23 Lt Stefan

Lt Stefan

• Members
  • 892 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 09:25 PM

I think that we shouldn't get the idea "m@n we'11 0wn teh g00bers cuz wE c@n m0d r3c0ns!" Becasue after all, no modded gun will be allowed, and what advantage do we have? Sure being to wars will help, but this will be totally different.

Also, it seems that they've been reading the boards and are expecting people to sneak in modded guns.

Teams must submit themselves and their equipment for inspection in
the staging area and on the field of play. Team members must use only the
approvedequipment, supplies and vests during match play.

#24 LiterSize

LiterSize

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 02:12 PM

in case anyone hadn't checked the main page yet, they're using the furyfire in some of the promo shots. I think it's the art from the box?

http://www.hasbro.com/nerf/ndtl/

Sounds like a whole league they're trying to market. I'm hoping to check it out since the first stop is in Chicago, is anyone thinking they'll give it a go?

Say what you want, it looks like it'd be hilarious to watch and have a good time seeing in action, even if we can't play.

Dare I say it, according to the schedule it looks like they'll have free-play periods during the day (unless they mean something else by "scrimmage")

Update: So I called the Mayor's Office of Special Events for the lowdown, and it looks like Festival Village is open to the public, while the BMX event needs tickets. I'll be heading to the event, and any nerfers in/near Chicago interested should probably head there too. I wouldn't be surprised if they had a look at the furyfire/CTF sets.

Edited by LiterSize, 16 June 2009 - 04:48 PM.

#25 Captain Scottland

Captain Scottland

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 10:57 PM

Am I the only one who thinks it's retarded how it's supposedly a 'World Championship' yet it's only open to residents of the United States? I know Hasbro isn't as supportive about Nerf here in Britain, but come on, the world doesn't solely consist of the US!

Well, any sport in America does this such as the NBA and MLB. Upon winning the championship of that sport they are claimed "world" champions; Even though I am a sports fan I have never understood this. It seems to me the only world champions are the gold medalists at the Olympics.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users