Photo

Sspb Oprv Plugging

6 replies to this topic

#1 taerKitty

taerKitty

• Members
  • 883 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 09:17 AM

After being unable to find a writeup on how to plug the Secret Strike Pocket Blaster's over pressure release valve, I went on chat and was kind enough to run into Ubermensch who showed me how and gave me permission to capture this for future Haven searches.

(In case this isn't obvious, I'm claiming credit for two things: the formatting and any errors. Uber provided the text and pictures. He's not claiming to have thought this up, either. I just couldn't find a writeup for this, so I'm trying to save the next person stuck with an SSPB some work.

<taerKitty> I read about people plugging the release valve on them, but I can't find a writeup on how to do that. The two SSPB writeups in the mod directory are not helpful in that regard.

<Uber> First, remove the stock barrel and AR, as per the writeups on the haven.
<Uber> Use a hacksaw or other cutting thingy to cut the end of the lower pump tube off. cut around, not through, or you will cut through the pump itself.
<Uber> Then, remove the pump, which will be easy to take out now, and plug the oprv with hot glue or whatever.

<taerKitty> The flared piece? Where's the OPRV, though?

<Uber> Yes. It will remain on the pump, don't worry about that. I actually cut about 1 cm in, not the entire piece.
<Uber> On the end of the pump itself, as most oprvs are.
<Uber> OK, after that, glue the piece of the pump tube that you cut off back onto the main tube, with the pump attached, then wrap etape around it.
<Uber> I just realized I had pics of the mod process on my photobucket!
<Uber> http://i291.photobuc...47/IMG_2831.jpg

Posted Image

<Uber> http://i291.photobuc...47/IMG_2832.jpg

Posted Image

<Uber> That last one's the OPRV.
<Uber> Here's the cut I made.
<Uber> http://i291.photobuc...47/IMG_2830.jpg

Posted Image

<Uber> http://i291.photobuc...47/IMG_2838.jpg

Posted Image

<taerKitty> Is there a writeup on this on the Haven? I can't find it in the search.

<Uber> No. I thought of making a writeup at one point, but it's not worth it. I have all of the pics on my photobucket though.

<taerKitty> Can I post this, crediting you?

<Uber> Absolutely, do whatever you want :D Feel free to use my pics too, if you wish.

Fugly is a feature.

#2 cheesypiza001

cheesypiza001

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 11:36 AM

Nice job Uber! I have realized that if you look at the pump tube from straight on, you will see a hole in the bottom left hand corner of the pump. Do you know what this is? Also, how many times can you pump it after you plug the pump?

#3 guardian21

guardian21

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 11:38 AM

Very nice.
Im glad you posted this.

Granted i find the sspb to be plenty powerful (for what it is) without plugging the pump, but this is still really good to know!
DATA!

#4 JATDO

JATDO

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 03:34 PM

Very nice, I was also looking for a write-up on OPV plugging.
Any ranges?
I remember when some girl in my English 101 class in college tried to cite The Onion as a source for her paper. The teacher lol'd.
The only time I got hit was when my spotter got hit and the enemy team realized there was a marksman in the bushes

#5 taerKitty

taerKitty

• Members
  • 883 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 08:32 PM

Very nice, I was also looking for a write-up on OPV plugging. Any ranges?

Not in the conversation we had on #nerfchat. However, the Nerfhaven Modification Directory, Reborn has two SSPB mods, the Sspb Mini Shooter, SSPB in gun form and the Basic Sspb Rebarreling. They list between 50' and 70', post-modded.

Mind you, there was one other bit of the #nerfchat log I elided earlier, where Uber warned that some substantial majority of SSPBs are just plain duds, and another substantial portion have leaky tanks. The numbers were dismal, along the lines of 1 in 5 is a dud and 2 out of 5 have leaky.

If the rest of the NIC have other empirical data on SSPB reliability, please let me know. This may be ois of interest because per this recent post in the Awareness thread, Toys R Us is practically giving away taggers and micros with the purchase of any N-Strike, and at least some NICers have reported them honoring the SSPB for this sale.

Edited by taerKitty, 14 June 2009 - 09:15 PM.

Fugly is a feature.

#6 JATDO

JATDO

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 09:30 PM

I've done my share of sspb barrel mods, I'm curious how much more range you can get. Sspb's are very interesting.
Good ones are amazing good, other just suck. I've have 3 one sucked one, one took 20 pumps, the other took 7. And you must pump them hard or it doesn't work.
I remember when some girl in my English 101 class in college tried to cite The Onion as a source for her paper. The teacher lol'd.
The only time I got hit was when my spotter got hit and the enemy team realized there was a marksman in the bushes

#7 aishihigeo

aishihigeo

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 12:13 AM

Mind you, there was one other bit of the #nerfchat log I elided earlier, where Uber warned that some substantial majority of SSPBs are just plain duds, and another substantial portion have leaky tanks. The numbers were dismal, along the lines of 1 in 5 is a dud and 2 out of 5 have leaky.

I bought a SSPB and it didn't hold air. I went to return it for another. Got one and I tested it at the store. It didn't work, so I got another one. That one didn't work too. I went through twenty of them, and none worked
You mean Jesus doesn't get you an extra 20 feet?
I blame insufficient praising of his name. If you don't cross yourself and point to the sky after every minor achievment how is a higher power supposed to know that you are pleased with his mad sacred game?-VACC

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users