10 replies to this topic

#1 chefdave

chefdave

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 12:31 PM

Simple, Easy to do ultra-strong reinforcement of the LS boltsled:

Materials/tools:

Woven carbon fiber(can be found at most hobby stores)
Epoxy
Wax paper
Scissors
Exactoknife

Posted Image

Take your carbon fiber, cut it into 2, 1.5in squares.

Coat the inside of the bolt with a layer of epoxy.

Apply the carbon fiber square.

Apply another layer of epoxy on top on the carbon fiber.

Press on a layer of wax paper, squeeze out all the excess epoxy.
Posted Image

Repeat for the other side.

After The epoxy is completely dry remove the wax paper and cut away the excess carbon fiber.
Posted Image

There you have it, quick and easy. Sorry for the lack of more pictures, they seem to have been lost some where in cyberspace.

Questions, comments, flames?
QUOTE(VACC @ Jul 21 2009, 08:13 PM) View Post
QUOTE(crispy) View Post

Talio likes to eat his own shit.
It's a distinct possibility. But seriously, that's all you could come up with? You are a terrible Troll.

#2 Mr BadWrench

Mr BadWrench

• Members
  • 781 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 12:57 PM

If you put this in a plastic bag with a vent tube and sink it to the bottom of a large body of water it will vacuum comrpess it

the bag will have to be positioned so there is a way for ALL the air to be expelled otherwise the pressure could break the part.
NerfChat IRC Chatroom Click to chat!

#3 Mehku

Mehku

• Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 01:12 PM

Very nice. I did the same thing except I used two layers of fiberglass. Does carbon fiber have similar strength to fiberglass?

#4 Hi Yah

Hi Yah

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 01:18 PM

Nice way to reinforce a boltsled. I love how it looks so clean!
The yellow balls are also slightly smaller in diameter than the green ones.

#5 chefdave

chefdave

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 01:21 PM

Very nice. I did the same thing except I used two layers of fiberglass. Does carbon fiber have similar strength to fiberglass?

I'm 99% sure carbon fiber is stronger than fiberglass.

Edited by chefdave, 16 May 2009 - 01:26 PM.

QUOTE(crispy) View Post

It's a distinct possibility. But seriously, that's all you could come up with? You are a terrible Troll.

#6 Shrub

Shrub

• Banned
  • 862 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 02:44 PM

Carbon fiber is way harder than any plexiglass lighter too. Nice. Also BadWrench who would do all that shit do you need to have a TOY where it will not break in every envirnment some which unplayable due to lack of oxygen and gas stoping the dart from friction and pressure?
Favorite Quotes:
Sorry to hear that man, it's like that one famous bumper sticker, "Shit Happens"
it still seems that your balls drop very rapidly

#7 minsc

minsc

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 04:24 PM

Carbon fiber is way harder than any plexiglass lighter too. Nice. Also BadWrench who would do all that shit do you need to have a TOY where it will not break in every envirnment some which unplayable due to lack of oxygen and gas stoping the dart from friction and pressure?

You are an idiot. The purpose of vacuum compressing it is to seal it against the part so it is more rigid, otherwise you have a superstrong pillow. And I have no idea what you are trying to say.
QUOTE(Zorn's Lemma @ Jul 25 2010, 12:18 AM) View Post

You'll do a lot better if you spread the lips with the front. Trying to wriggle the back in there first seems a bit counterintuitive.

RSCBow

#8 2iko

2iko

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 11:59 PM

You are an idiot. The purpose of vacuum compressing it is to seal it against the part so it is more rigid, otherwise you have a superstrong pillow. And I have no idea what you are trying to say.

XD I believe what happened was he thought it literally made it resistant to vacuum environments...

In reality the vacuum removes all excess air from the epoxy and the carbon-fiber making the already awesome reinforcement as good as it can be.

I have no sig so my posts cut off weird so I'm putting this here. XD

#9 anon-dude

anon-dude

• Banned
  • 46 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 02:58 PM

Good Job! this is amazing. I have to do it!
"Its not illegal...just extremely erotic like masturbating on an airplane" - The Hangover...FTW

A.K.A. NarcolepticPenguin on NR

Zmandudesk82: "@Qwear: Nice name. I'm glad to see the NIC being open to people who are... different."

#10 nerfboi

nerfboi

• Members
  • 858 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 03:14 PM

Since this is up here again, where did you get the CF as little as that without buying such big pieces?
We Ride together, we die together, Bad boys for life.

#11 chefdave

chefdave

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 05:55 PM

Don't remember where I got it, it was probably a few years back, just check your local hobby store.
QUOTE(crispy) View Post

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users