New metal trigger!

25 replies to this topic

#1 AssassinNF

AssassinNF

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 08:44 PM

EDIT: New trigger on Page 2!

Thursday and Friday, my school was out due to this recent Swine Flu scare (a few local kids got it), so I was at home, bored off my ass.

I decided to fix the secondary trigger on my Longshot/DTG combo, one of the Brothers Grimm.
Posted Image

The Key-Ring trigger I had on it had become worn-out and unreliable, so it was time to replace it with something a little more solid.

Here's the old trigger:
Posted Image
It's just a key-ring connected to some wire, connected to the DTG trigger. In that picture you can also see how I attached the shells - a few screws and a sheet metal hook I made that holds the shells together securely when the shells are screwed together.

Here's the new trigger:
Posted Image
Posted Image
I replaced the key-ring with a trigger I made from pieces of an LSFG trigger, and replaced the flimsy wire with a bent piece of coat hanger. The new trigger makes it neccessary to remove most of the useless internals of the Longshot, but it's much more solid and feels much better.

I ran the coat hanger wire through this piece:
Posted Image
I drilled straight through it here:
Posted Image

This design went through several frustrating iterations and failures, so I'm sorry I can't give you an in depth write-up. The whole thing was very trial and error.

While I had the gun open, I also reinforced the stock: (it kept collapsing on me)
Posted Image

I also added some felt to the bolt, because the shitty silver paint I used was rubbing weird:
Posted Image

The whole gun:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Now this gun is as functional as it should've been in the first place.

Questions / Comments / Flames?

Edited by AssassinNF, 26 June 2009 - 02:59 AM.

Probably dead by now, or something.

#2 PointBlank

PointBlank

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 08:51 PM

I really like the trigger method you used on the dtg.
You can agree with me.... or you can be wrong.

My Latest Mods
The Cyclops
Pointblank Titan

#3 Renegademilitia15

Renegademilitia15

• Members
  • 516 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 08:58 PM

Dang, That looks really good.

I really love the trigger for the DTB.
Singled RFS
FA_24's response to Ice's back pain thread:

I used to have that problem until I got circumcised. 15 pounds later I was able to stand up straight.

#4 AssassinNF

AssassinNF

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 09:43 PM

I really like the trigger method you used on the dtg.

Dang, That looks really good.

I really love the trigger for the DTB.

Thanks! That trigger's the main part of the overhall. I spent two days working on it, and fucked up two of my fingers... You can see one of the band-aids in one of those pics :rolleyes:

I just finished another slight modification. I made a side-by-side double clip for it:
Posted Image

It's really easy to make, these pictures should be self-explanatory:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I used 3/4" PEX as the spacers. 3/4" CPVC should also work. It's held together with hot glue, and the electrical tape is just there as optional reinforcement.

If you look at the clips, you'll notice that they're facing different directions. This is so that the clip that's outside the gun is always on the left side of the gun, since I use my left hand to reload it.

#5 BlackSmith

BlackSmith

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 09:43 PM

the trigger for the dtb was very innovative. I like what you have done and the integration is very clean. Nice job. Also, is there any chance you are willing to sell or trade that gun to me. I could use a gun like that
All the World is just a Big Blue Nerf ball. . . Well to me it is! We All Have Our Own DAMN Opinions Here!

#6 Nerf Bros

Nerf Bros

• Members
  • 309 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 09:56 PM

I love it! The trigger really cleans up the apperence of the gun, and I bet it is easier to use too... Nice job.
We have no sig.

#7 JATDO

JATDO

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 10:16 PM

Amazing job!
I had an idea similar but instead of the DTG trigger in front of the LS trigger the DTG trigger was below.

And I love the idea for the side my side clips.

Edited by JATDO, 02 May 2009 - 10:18 PM.

I remember when some girl in my English 101 class in college tried to cite The Onion as a source for her paper. The teacher lol'd.
The only time I got hit was when my spotter got hit and the enemy team realized there was a marksman in the bushes

#8 AssassinNF

AssassinNF

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 10:26 PM

the trigger for the dtb was very innovative. I like what you have done and the integration is very clean. Nice job. Also, is there any chance you are willing to sell or trade that gun to me. I could use a gun like that

Thanks, but it's definitely not for sale. Sorry.

#9 flyingchicken

flyingchicken

• Members
  • 414 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 10:27 PM

It looks very clean. I love the new trigger and the way you connected it. Good job.

What mods have been done to the guns and what are the ranges?
I am so omniscient; if there was to be two omnisciences, I would be both!

#10 xtremejumpy

xtremejumpy

• Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 10:32 PM

I thought I would see this soon. You might actually use this at the next war now huh?
Poor thing sat and watched all the action.

I probably would have used the miniature steel cable I have. Tough as spider wire, but doesn't stretch, but you can bend it easy. I should show you that...

Ca you actually get your fingers between the 2 triggers and still fire each separate? Thats my only real turn off there. I like 2 different, independent triggers. I like it though.

#11 AssassinNF

AssassinNF

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 11:44 PM

It looks very clean. I love the new trigger and the way you connected it. Good job.

What mods have been done to the guns and what are the ranges?

Ranges can be found in the original topic - here.
Both have AR's removed. DTG spring has been replaced with a Firefly spring, and Longshot has an added NF spring.

I thought I would see this soon. You might actually use this at the next war now huh?
Poor thing sat and watched all the action.

I probably would have used the miniature steel cable I have. Tough as spider wire, but doesn't stretch, but you can bend it easy. I should show you that...

Ca you actually get your fingers between the 2 triggers and still fire each separate? Thats my only real turn off there. I like 2 different, independent triggers. I like it though.

Hahaha, It's just too hard to compete with the Doomsayer. I bet Ol' Grimm was getting jealous. :lol:
But it's finally war-worthy. It'll probably be my new HvZ weapon - The Doomsayer is just too powerful for such a close-quarters game. I bet Minja still has welts... :D

There's more than enough room between the triggers, even for my gargantuan hands. I made sure of it.

#12 canuck

canuck

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 05:16 AM

Dude, that looks stock!
Nice job man, keep it up.
We don't have military tactics or specialized training. We're fucking kids playing with plastic guns trying to tag each other.
-nerfer9

#13 gameplayer20859

gameplayer20859

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 09:45 AM

Very nice and clean mod! I knew someone was going to dosomething like this eventually.
two of my cousins managed to superglue their foreheads togeather... don't ask

You could stick one anywhere.

assassinNF

Take on my brute.

#14 BlackSmith

BlackSmith

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 09:48 AM

Thanks, but it's definitely not for sale. Sorry.

Oh thats ok. I just broke my longshot trying to mod it. I should probably try to make it myself.
All the World is just a Big Blue Nerf ball. . . Well to me it is! We All Have Our Own DAMN Opinions Here!

#15 AssassinNF

AssassinNF

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 04:29 PM

Thanks everyone!

I've been testing the shit out of this monster, and nothing's broken so far. I was really worried about the new trigger breaking again (you see how it's covered in JB Weld? It wasn't when I first made it! :D ), but I've already put at least 100 rounds through the DTG with that new trigger, and it's working great. I'm really happy with it.

Now I just need a Raider Drum.

#16 Russ T Bullet

Russ T Bullet

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 07:43 PM

Wow, assaassin, I can't wait to see this at the next war! I like your ingenuity in using the lsfg parts to make a new trigger. I love it when people use random, worthless parts to make something new.

This will be great for HvZ.
I'll take my guns and money; you keep your "change".

#17 AssassinNF

AssassinNF

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 02:49 AM

Wow, assaassin, I can't wait to see this at the next war! I like your ingenuity in using the lsfg parts to make a new trigger. I love it when people use random, worthless parts to make something new.

This will be great for HvZ.

It was glorious in HvZ.

Until...
Posted Image
Nooooooooooooooo!!!

Here's the Effeminate story behind it:
We were playing our 2nd round of HvZ of the day at one of Xtremejumpy's wars. It was near the end of the round, and it was just me and two other guys against everyone else, since they were all zombies at that point. There were 15-20 people there, so there were at least 12 zombies after us. We got rushed by all the zombies at once, and I started unloading darts all over the place. I took out three zombies with the LS, and ran out of ammo for it (only had 4 darts left), so I switched to the DTG. Then I started firing, putting the new trigger to use. Each shot flew perfectly, finding it's mark on a different zombie. I had fired 5 shots and took down 5 more zombies without a problem, and then on the sixth shot, the trigger pulled all the way back, but the gun didn't fire.

Then half of the trigger fell to the ground. I was zombie food.

So basically, the gun worked perfectly, and I took out 2/3 of the zombies single-handedly, and then the trigger broke in half, and me and my two buddies got zombified.

Most of the time, a gun breaks and you just fix it, and hope it doesn't break again. But once in a while, an awesome gun breaks, and you get pissed off and fix it in a way that will never break. This was one of those times.

I enlisted the help of my father and his welding equipment, and we got to work.

3-hours later we had a full-metal replica of the old shitty plastic trigger:
Posted Image

Here it is in the gun:
Posted Image
Posted Image

It looks better, it feels better, and it's not going to break. Ever. :lol:

Posted Image
So once again my favorite primary is restored to its full glory.

EDIT: Credit where credit is due:
I used b00m13's guide to put the LS and DTG together initially. It's a great way to cut them and it allowed me to get the guns together so cleanly. You can find that here

Edited by AssassinNF, 26 June 2009 - 02:58 AM.

#18 white moonlight

white moonlight

• Members
  • 305 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 06:55 AM

This thing is never gonna break.

Good thing, because you never want to be in that situation again.

Is it a stronger trigger pull than the plastic one?
On his trec to Colonfest...
VengefulWaffle BOY, 12 KILLED IN MOUNTAIN PASS BY WILD RACCON, EXPERTS SAY HE ATTEMPTED TO HOLD IT OFF WITH NERF NITEFINDERS
POLICE SAY: ALCOHOL MAY HAVE BEEN INVOLVED
Guess who he was talking about...

#19 wingd man

wingd man

• Members
  • 514 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 08:24 AM

new trigger

That looks like it has alot of friction, you should lubricate it.

#20 AssassinNF

AssassinNF

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 10:21 AM

This thing is never gonna break.

Good thing, because you never want to be in that situation again.

Is it a stronger trigger pull than the plastic one?

Nope, surprisingly. It's actually easier, since the trigger isn't trying to bend and break.

new trigger

That looks like it has alot of friction, you should lubricate it.

It actually has less friction than the old one :lol:

#21 Chadpuff

Chadpuff

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 12:05 PM

Looks awesome! I so want to do this to my longshot but Im too chickenshit to do it right now. Atleast till i get a extra longshot and dtg

Edited by Chadpuff, 26 June 2009 - 12:06 PM.

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." ...Han Solo

#22 slowguitarman

slowguitarman

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 04:34 PM

Good work. I like seeing metal and or wood things put to good use in nerf, and I have seen both of those today. Also, you must spend a good bit of time with guns. You post new things all the time. Good things too, usually.
Your dreams were tight like a baby

SGM's Shred Shop -Mod Service

NerfHaven's resident drama queen.

#23 AssassinNF

AssassinNF

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 08:05 PM

Looks awesome! I so want to do this to my longshot but Im too chickenshit to do it right now. Atleast till i get a extra longshot and dtg

When you get your courage up, here's a few tips:

1. Cut the shells like b00m13 did. It works perfectly.
2. Start out with a Key-ring trigger. My method, while awesome, was a PAIN IN THE ASS, and shouldn't be attempted by anyone without alot of experience and patience with modding.
3. Make sure you glue/screw/attach the shell halves separately, so that the gun can be opened up. You always want to be able to re-open the gun to fix/improve things.

Good luck if you ever decide to make one :lol:

Good work. I like seeing metal and or wood things put to good use in nerf, and I have seen both of those today. Also, you must spend a good bit of time with guns. You post new things all the time. Good things too, usually.

Thanks!

xtremejumpy's wars have been renewing my enthusiasm for nerfing, so I've been going through my tons of useless or broken guns and modding/fixing them. I also have alot of time on my hands for a change since it's summer. It's great. You'll be seeing even more stuff from me soon.

#24 ggk

ggk

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 08:47 PM

AssassinNF do you think you could possibly take a close up picture of the attachment points? Preferably in and out. Mainly so I could see where you cut it.
Thanks either way! And nice mod I really do like it.

Also I hope you do not mind if I try and recreate this mod.

Edited by ggk, 27 June 2009 - 08:54 PM.

17:18 Snake51886 to those who hamp: you do not nerf well, you paintball poorly

#25 AssassinNF

AssassinNF

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 01:06 AM

AssassinNF do you think you could possibly take a close up picture of the attachment points? Preferably in and out. Mainly so I could see where you cut it.
Thanks either way! And nice mod I really do like it.

Also I hope you do not mind if I try and recreate this mod.

Which attachment points? The trigger mechs or the shells of the two guns?

And I don't mind at all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users