Just Another Maverick Mod

Maverick rev-6 with improved seal

11 replies to this topic

#1 nerkum

nerkum

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 02:56 PM

Here is a set of modifications I have done to my Maverick to try and improve its subpar performance.

Open the Maverick up and the first thing I did was do the straw mod on the plunger to kill all that dead space. http://nerfhaven.com...?showtopic=5673

Posted Image

I am planning on tightening the seal between the barrel cylinder and the plunger, so I needed to make sure my barrel would always rotate. To do this I opened the rotation mechanism and super glued the two halves together. Replace the spring and reassemble. http://nerfhaven.com...?showtopic=8367

Posted Image
Posted Image

Next I replaced my barrels with 17/32 brass for a nice snug fit. I will also be testing one with OMC PETG, but that is for another time.

Posted Image

Took the spring from the accessories slider and applied it to the front of the barrel cylinder. http://nerfhaven.com...?showtopic=5735

Posted Image

Then I lined the inside of my plunger tube with a large flat rubber band and super glued it in. This helps create a tight seal with the added spring in the front, and the rubber band to give it a flexible plane to rest against.

Posted Image
Posted Image

For springs I am using the original maverick spring plus I threaded in my longshot front gun spring. Both are tiny and pretty much useless. Iā€™m sure if I used a nightfinder spring I would get better ranges, but since I am using this for a larp I am restricted on how much power I can apply to the gun.

I then added additional rubberbands to the trigger mechanism to give the barrel cylinder more rotation power. I don't every want to have my barrel missalign with my plunger tube.

Posted Image

Painted Black and Silver. I used Krylon Fusion Black, and Krylon Metallic Silver.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Ranges:
12 shots ranged from 42ā€™-56ā€™ with a fairly consistent spread and an average of about 51.

Edited by nerkum, 13 March 2009 - 08:23 PM.

#2 bamblack2000

bamblack2000

• Members
  • 395 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 05:00 PM

Not bad. I didn't understand how you were using 17/32nds until I read about the added spring. I basically plan on doing everything there when I get my maverick. However, I'm confused on the rotation mechanism, and the gluing of the springs, can you tell me more about that? Also, nice idea with the rubber band, I might have to try that.

#3 1337

• Members
  • 375 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 05:09 PM

Damn... 50s from a mav is OK amazing in my book.
One of my first mods was a Mav AR removal, and i failed that MISERABLY... there were sooo many things wrong with it.
Nice use of the rubber band.
Join the REVOLUTION!

#4 nerkum

nerkum

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 05:13 PM

The rotation mechanism has a slip built into it. So when you tighen up the seal the barrel cylinder will begin to slip and skip because of the extra force being applied to it. So I removed the slip mechanism by glueing it here.
Posted Image

I didn't glue the spring at all, just the orange plastic teeth on the slip mechanism.

Here is an example of what happens when the cylinder is allowed to slip, your barrels will not align with the plunger (huge loss of air pressure) and if you are using taggers it will catch the lip of the outter barrel and your dart will not go anywhere.

Posted Image

Edited by nerkum, 11 March 2009 - 05:21 PM.

#5 Split

Split

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 05:25 PM

Slug did them both and explains them here.

Otherwise, nice job. Those ranges are angled or bullshit I'd have to say though. Also, for the straw mod to work optimally, (I don't think this was ever on the boards, so I don't expect people to know it) you need to close up the front around the straw as well. Otherwise, the dead space is still there, the air just has to take a longer route to get to it. Slight increase in power (depending on how much space was removed by the foam), but not the max you can get. I can't even tell if you did or not, you only posted a side shot.

edit: Just saw your edit. Most people using taggers in Mavs cut them down 1/8-1/4".

Second edit: it would have helped prove your point if you had shown us the point it landed on the tape measure. Also, have the measure wavy like it is in the video is going to increase the number it says. Not to mention that 46' doesn't show the 56' max and 51' average. Not bagging on you or the mods, just the range. The stock Mav and LSFG springs are two of the weakest ones around.

Edited by Splitlip, 11 March 2009 - 07:02 PM.

Teehee.

#6 nerkum

nerkum

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 06:51 PM

Edit: added youtube of a test fire. It went 46' in the video. Also added link to CS's rotation mod, since I left it out on the original write up.

Split: I did foam both ends, and glued the rubber band to the straw as well. All shots where flat, angled they go about 15-20' farther. Thanks for the catch on the CS mod, I would feel like a heel if I did not give him proper credit.

#7 Lynx

Lynx

• Members
  • 983 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 07:42 PM

Splitlip, 51 is quite reasonable for the HEAVY MODS that took place on this mav. He just proved other wise, too.

Good mod, you took the time and effort put into a piece of shit to make is a waiting to break polished piece of shit.

Just saying, you invested a good amount of resources into a blaster that will break, take more resources to repair and get back to normal, and it's effective usage in Nerf wars is fairly low.

But look on the bright side, you got a nice little polished gun.

It's still shit though.

Edited by Lynx, 11 March 2009 - 07:43 PM.

Columbus' original crazy asshole now comes with:

AWESOME NITEFINDER

#8 Hipponater

Hipponater

• Members
  • 297 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 07:51 PM

Splitlip, 51 is quite reasonable for the HEAVY MODS that took place on this mav. He just proved other wise, too.

Good mod, you took the time and effort put into a piece of shit to make is a waiting to break polished piece of shit.

Just saying, you invested a good amount of resources into a blaster that will break, take more resources to repair and get back to normal, and it's effective usage in Nerf wars is fairly low.

But look on the bright side, you got a nice little polished gun.

It's still shit though.

Or, now he can destroy indoor wars because of the high RoF and nice ranges. Anything higher is really too much for indoors (well, at least where I play) and starts to push able to break things.

What do you mean its waiting to break? Maybe a little more reinforcement, but gluing the rotating mech and foaming the plunger is hardly risky business.

I think I'm definitely going to do this to my mav. (Most of it is already done, actually...) Just need to foam the plunger and add a rubber band. Much better way of doing it than my method.

#9 lambchop

lambchop

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 08:00 PM

You made this thing a monster for close quarters. I might have to give this a try nice job.
Just keep swimming just keep swimming STOP

#10 that1dude

that1dude

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 01:43 AM

Instead of a rubber band, what about the end of a balloon for a seal? I figure you could cut the end of one of those long balloons they use to make animals out of. So instead of trying to glue it to the inside of plunger, you could wrap the balloon on the outside, then use the shell as a clamp when screwing it back in.

I know, around here, ideas are better in pictures. Which makes sense, because it probably looks like I'm not making any.

#11 nerkum

nerkum

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 11:35 AM

That is a very good idea. The balloon would be creating a O ring. I would try and fit it inside the plunger tube though.

The main reason I put the rubberband inside the plunger air hole was to reinforce the strength of the rubber band. I didn't want to solely rely on the rubber band and super glue to maintain my seal. Now the plastic walls of the plunger do all the reinforcement and the rubberband extends out just a little bit to complete the seal.

#12 Mehku

Mehku

• Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 09:58 PM

50 feet from a Maverick? Holy shit...If I hadn't of screwed up my previous Mav (I fucking loved that thing), I would of done this mod. I'll have to pick up another one and do this. Now.

-Mehku

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users