Prince Dangus

• Administrators
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 12:22 PM

Thanks for waiting on this thread, AJZ.

Here's what I've got:

Posted Image

First up: Big Salvo tank.

Almost all backpressure-firing tank systems look the same; a rubber stopper on a plastic tube that slides up and down with pressure (or a lack thereof) behind it. The stopper on the BS tank is the largest I've seen on these kinds of tanks; the output hole to the barrel is correspondingly large, which means a higher volume of air released more quickly. This probably explains why BS tanks hit higher ranges than SS2 tanks despite comparable volume.

Here's a picture with the stopper thing taken out.

Posted Image

Okay, onto the next one: the Secret Shot 2.

Posted Image

The SS2 tank has more volume than I expected; I thought the weird firing mechanism and check valve would eat up internal volume but this is not the case. I can't find the stopper at the moment (or the barrel part it seals against) but they're somewhere on my clusterfuck of a desk.

In disassembly I think I've found the problem for leakiness in the SS2 family; the barrel post thing that the stopper seals against had come unglued on mine, and since it wasn't glued in it wasn't sitting inside properly. This allows air to escape. Unfortunately it seems as if they only way to fix this at the moment is to open the tank via sawing it and glue it back in yourself and make sure it's straight and airtight. If I can find the pieces I'll make an attempt on it at some point in the near future.

Finally, something I haven't seen anywhere else: a disassembled SMDTG chamber!

Posted Image

Posted Image

This thing is fucking tiny. I'm shocked by how little usable volume there is in this tank; the rubber stopper system literally takes up ONE THIRD of the tank volume. I'm honestly shocked people can get sixty feet out of these; there's less space than I even imagined.

That's all I have so far; I have a Hornet barrel I cut open back at my home workshop but as AJZ already posted what that looks like there's not much use for it. In the past I've cut open two AT3K tanks and one SM750 but I don't think enough pieces are still around to post, nor are they sufficiently interesting or not-understood to post.

Unholy Three: DUPLUM SCRTA, DUPLUM PROBLEMA (2009)

But Zeke guns tend to be like proofs by contradiction

Theoretically solid but actually non-constructive

Rnbw Cln

#3 nerfnerd88

nerfnerd88

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 07:14 PM

Now for a noobish question.

Exactly how to backpressure-firing tank systems work? I'v been using them for a while and have an idea how they work but never really understood.

#4 cheesypiza001

cheesypiza001

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 08:14 PM

Now for a noobish question.

Exactly how to backpressure-firing tank systems work? I'v been using them for a while and have an idea how they work but never really understood.

I am pretty sure that THIS could help explain it.

Also, in this thread, Renegade explains how they work.

Edited by cheesypiza001, 20 February 2009 - 08:16 PM.

#5 jerm78

jerm78

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 02:30 AM

Sonic bazooka air tank

Posted Image

Posted Image

the little orange nub sticking out the base is what the trigger pushes in for the back pressure release. I tried to expand the tank which did work but all the air came out the back pressure release.

#6 Daniel Beaver

Daniel Beaver

HQRSE CQCK

• Moderators
  • 2,099 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 10:40 AM

Thanks everyone, I appreciate this thread. I've been wanting to cut open a tank for a long time. Those BPR tanks are a lot simpler than I thought they would be. Looks homemade-able if you can get the seal on the piston working.

The Sonic bazooka is a BPR? So you could hook it up to SMDTG triggers if you were feeling silly?

#7 cheesypiza001

cheesypiza001

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 11:28 AM

Thanks everyone, I appreciate this thread. I've been wanting to cut open a tank for a long time. Those BPR tanks are a lot simpler than I thought they would be. Looks homemade-able if you can get the seal on the piston working.

The Sonic bazooka is a BPR? So you could hook it up to SMDTG triggers if you were feeling silly?

You would have to have multiple tanks for an SMDTG trigger to be effective (sp?).

#8 TED

TED

In Brightest Prawn, in Darkest Shrimp...

• Administrators
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 11:30 AM

What makes this thread official?
Star Wars can go fuck itself.

#9 AJZ

AJZ

• Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 11:46 AM

What makes this thread official?

Its not official. I made it stand out so the people I talked to realize that this thread is up and running.

I could change it. Upon request if it really bothers you...its not a big deal

#10 chefdave

chefdave

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 02:07 PM

I think this thread is a really good idea. Once enough pictures are updated you should make some kind of index on the front page
QUOTE(VACC @ Jul 21 2009, 08:13 PM) View Post
QUOTE(crispy) View Post

Talio likes to eat his own shit.
It's a distinct possibility. But seriously, that's all you could come up with? You are a terrible Troll.

#11 Gas Mask Guy

Gas Mask Guy

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 05:20 PM

Hope I'm not being an ass by posting this, since the original topic is here, but these are pics from my autopsy of a Magstrike firing mech.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#12 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 10:19 PM

Fuck imaseoulman and his faulty triggers that he should have tested before accepting my hard earned money for them. At least you can now all see the insides of one of these bad boys. And for those who are using the search engine: SMDTG trigger internals autopsy insides.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by TantumBull, 26 February 2009 - 10:22 PM.

#13 Mr BadWrench

Mr BadWrench

• Members
  • 781 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 11:45 AM

Posted Image

Doubleshot plunger tube shattered...

Posted Image
I have a picture of a RFR plunger tube and plunger for reference... although they are designed identically the rfr is much larger.

Don
NerfChat IRC Chatroom Click to chat!

#14 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 03:36 PM

Okay, onto the next one: the Secret Shot 2.

Posted Image

The SS2 tank has more volume than I expected; I thought the weird firing mechanism and check valve would eat up internal volume but this is not the case. I can't find the stopper at the moment (or the barrel part it seals against) but they're somewhere on my clusterfuck of a desk.

In disassembly I think I've found the problem for leakiness in the SS2 family; the barrel post thing that the stopper seals against had come unglued on mine, and since it wasn't glued in it wasn't sitting inside properly. This allows air to escape. Unfortunately it seems as if they only way to fix this at the moment is to open the tank via sawing it and glue it back in yourself and make sure it's straight and airtight. If I can find the pieces I'll make an attempt on it at some point in the near future.

I have run in to this myself. I wish I had read this description a little more closely prior to opening mine, but alas... I'll post up how my repair goes. I think you are correct though. There does not seem to be any realistic method of getting adhesive down the barrel to reseal the post section. At least not without cutting off most of the barrel.
[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#15 Mr BadWrench

Mr BadWrench

• Members
  • 781 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 01:06 PM

i hate to side track the thread, but Ive gotten 3 email PM notifications from nerfhq with a topic referring to this post, i sign onto nhq and theres a new message in my inbox, but when I open my inbox there is nothing there...

I havent the faintest idea who is trying to contact me, but I assume they are reading this topic.... come find me in the IRC chatroom...

Don
NerfChat IRC Chatroom Click to chat!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users