This Was A Triumph.

I'm making a note here: HUGE SUCCESS!

36 replies to this topic

#1 Twitch

Twitch

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 04:31 PM

As many of you are aware, one of the largest, regularly occurring Nerf groups on this continent was shut-down many months ago.

http://nerfhaven.com...8&hl=Cincinnati

A small, semi-secret organization; The Orange Hand took an interest in Cincinnati, and contacted a few of the old board members of the UC Nerf Club. They have been the driving force behind the recent attempt to reestablish the club. While the effort to return to campus continues, an alternative has been arranged for us by TOH. We have been renting out a Laser Tag facility on a semi-weekly basis. I assure you it is amazing.

Posted Image

I post this not to invite the rest of the NIC, but instead as a business model of sorts, to inspire the rest of you to go and attempt the same thing in your own respective areas. We've been doing this for about five weeks, and have already inspired a 2nd group (lead by Zaxbys) to follow in our path.

TOH was able to negotiate rates for us to rent the facility vastly (80%) below the normal market price. The fire code limits us to 99 people in the arena at any given time, and for that reason we cannot extend an open invitation to the rest of the NIC (The Cincinnati group already has it operating at nearly full capacity; any more and the arena becomes excessively crowded.)

Enough typing for now, I'm sure you like to see some pictures.

Here's about 1/2 of our group. (We had 47 people our first night. Not bad attendance for less than 2 weeks notice.) Three members of TOH were present with us that night, though only one is in the picture. (Center, back, the hand-print shirt.)
Posted Image

The laser tag arena has some fantastic perks, aside from it being available year-round.
Posted Image

Posted Image
Being illuminated exclusively by black lights, and ambient illumination from fluorescent obstacles creates some fantastic visual effects. Color schemes on blasters in Cincinnati are changing very, very quickly.

We've used several different methods to distinguish teams, ranging from long head/arm bands using fluorescent flagging tape and war paint, which is possibly the greatest way to distinguish teams ever conjured.
Posted Image

Many stock blasters glow under the black lights, as demonstrated by the blue Magstrike shown below.
Posted Image
Though my camera failed to capture them, Nerf brand darts (not BuzzBee) glow bright orange under the same illumination. every dart is effectively a trace round, and the place looks like something from Star Wars. We tried having the rule that shots only counted if the firer yelled "PEW PEW PEW" with each shot., but it was difficult to enforce.

One of bpso86's xbows.
Posted Image
I love how it glows like some magical weapon from an Anime cartoon.

Edited by Twitch, 23 February 2009 - 09:37 AM.

"If Groove was a woman, I'd totally have asked him to go home with me tonight ...is that weird?"
~bpso86

"Being a moderator on NHQ is like being a judge in the Special Olympics."
~JediJoe9

#2 Twitch

Twitch

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 04:34 PM

And now for some images from around the arena. Unfortunately many of these pictures were taken after I asked the manager to turn on the fog machines, here's some of the better pictures. The flash was used in many pictures, the arena is not nearly as well lit as some of these would suggest.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Lastly, there is the soundtrack. Typically assorted techno music is piped into the arena. The owners will play whatever we ask, so long as we provide the CD's. Some have have dreamed dreamed of sneaking around whilst the theme song from Mission Impossible or James Bond is playing, or of rushing with dual-Magstrikes will Highway to the Danger Zone (theme from Top Gun) is blaring. I have made such dreams come true.
"If Groove was a woman, I'd totally have asked him to go home with me tonight ...is that weird?"
~bpso86

~JediJoe9

#3 Twitch

Twitch

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 04:35 PM

Now, here's the part with the motivational-speaking bit come in.

Zaxbys has been inspired to create his own, similar group in his area. I want to see more of these things popping up, as as such, I end this with some talking points used by TOH and myself to create this fantastic organization. Hopefully you too can use these to create your own amazing Nerfclub in a laser tag arena.

First, the owner(s) must be assured that no damage will come to their facility. (This was, as you can imagine, as significant hurdle.) Banning things like singled Titans and their ilk (already common practice amongst many groups) is likely a good idea. expect to bring in a few blasters to show to the owner, and assure them no damages will result. (Our group ha switched to stock-darts only as a safety precaution. No stefans, and actually even Stock Titans have been banned, as as those in charge feel it cold break the long, brittle black lights.)

We are not using their equipment. Which means they don't have to turn on a lot of their equipment in the arena as well. All we the Cincinnati group uses are the black lights, fog machines, and stereo. The arcade is usually turned on, which works to provide additional income from those of us who are out a lot of the time.

Running amok for several hours makes people thirsty, and the concession stands have been kept open.

Because the Nerfing group has a more-or-less clear chain of command (remnant from when we were still on campus) we are self-policing, ans as such, Lazer Kraze keeps minimal staff on duty while we play. Only a store manager, (who changes the CD's for us, turns on the fog machines, etc.) and another employee to operate the concession stands. Only paying wages for 2 employees makes it much easier on the facility, and helps to increase the rather small profit margins they gain from us.

The cost is of course the primary concern. Zaxbys has been able to negotiate an even greater deal with his local facility. The Cincinnati group has been able to charge our members $4/person/week; enough to cover our costs for the night, and build a small surplus usable to pay for the services on a slow night, purchase pizzas for the group, arrange a "free" night, et cetera.

If anyone else manages to start a similar group, please let me know.

If anyone has trouble starting a similar group, please let me know. If I cannot offer any useful advice, then perhaps TOH will, or even the owner of Lazer Kraze. (She has bee incredibly generous to us, and has been able to turn a small profit from us.) She may have advice to offer.

Lastly, a special thanks to those whom assisted me in making this possible: bpso86, The Orange Hand, and Robin, the owner of Lazer Kraze.
~bpso86

~JediJoe9

#4 Nerfer327

Nerfer327

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 05:30 PM

One small step for Nerf, One giant step for the NIC.

That better be added that hilarious quote to my signature, while playing with my butthole.
QUOTE(Pineapple @ Feb 4 2009, 04:04 AM) View Post

The last thing we need is a mass gathering of prepubesent boners all over the place

Forsaken_angel24 Said-
Time heals all wounds.
But it cannot hide the scars.

#5 A side of nerf

A side of nerf

Georgia Nerf Lives

• Members
  • 755 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 05:41 PM

Zaxbys has been inspired to create his own, similar group in his area.

Hell....yeah!

This is awesome, it takes indoor warfare to a new extreme!
Good job for getting it started!
Southeast Nerf Contingent

#6 Daniel Beaver

Daniel Beaver

HQRSE CQCK

• Moderators
  • 2,097 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 05:52 PM

Very cool - I don't know of any Laser tag outlets in the Twin Cities, but that would be a grand venue to host a war.

#7 venom213

venom213

• Validating
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 06:15 PM

Very cool - I don't know of any Laser tag outlets in the Twin Cities, but that would be a grand venue to host a war.

There is this cool place called Grand Slam in the nearby (to me) city of Burnsville that has Lazer tag. I have so many lazer tag guns myself that don't even need to go there, but I have once. You should contact them, they will definitley take you more seriously than me.

#8 k9turrent

k9turrent

• Members
  • 829 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 06:39 PM

This is bloody Effeminate. but since you are using stock darts, I guess they glow better than stefans.
QUOTE View Post

That's about it. And thanks Angela who helped me with these pictures.. It looks huge in her hands.

HOLY CRAP!

FU ALL

#9 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 08:57 PM

I was so excited reading this until I read about the stock darts.

Still though, it looks like a lot of fun.
Maybe one day I can host something like this but with Stefans.
I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#10 Wes7143

Wes7143

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 09:08 PM

I was so excited reading this until I read about the stock darts.

Still though, it looks like a lot of fun.
Maybe one day I can host something like this but with Stefans.

Whell if you think about it, stefans wouldn't be a very good idea. Most lazer tag arenas have very closed in spaces, with maybe a max of 30' stretch. Stefans are designed for long range. At point blank, like 90% of the arena, they would hurt like hell. Maybe even leave nasty welts or puncture the skin.

I wish I could convince my local lazer arena to let us have a nerf war, but they're strict as hell.
QUOTE(VengefulWaffle)
Get off my boyfriend

If at first you don't succeed, add more epoxy.

#11 Cmdrmack

Cmdrmack

• Members
  • 545 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 09:31 PM

My Clan does stock darts only for all indoor action. The softer tip also helps prevint from breaking things. We had an incident a couple years ago where a chandelier was hit by a stray stefan and broke one of the lights.

We are doing the same for our Humans Vs Zombies game in March. It changes gameplay a little bit, but in those two settings the extra range and accuracy are unneeded.
QUOTE(Predalien_Ro @ Apr 7 2008, 10:24 PM) View Post

Oompa: FECES!? Who in their right mind would try that shit!?

Bigger Salvo

{FWPC}

#12 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 09:56 PM

Well if you think about it, stefans wouldn't be a very good idea. Most lazer tag arenas have very closed in spaces, with maybe a max of 30' stretch. Stefans are designed for long range. At point blank, like 90% of the arena, they would hurt like hell. Maybe even leave nasty welts or puncture the skin.

Your right, It would be a Massacre.
I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#13 Blacksunshine

Blacksunshine

• Members
  • 948 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 10:05 PM

Well if you think about it, stefans wouldn't be a very good idea. Most lazer tag arenas have very closed in spaces, with maybe a max of 30' stretch. Stefans are designed for long range. At point blank, like 90% of the arena, they would hurt like hell. Maybe even leave nasty welts or puncture the skin.

I guess its time for me to post my write up on soft tip stefans. They would be a perfect soloution for this.

Edited by Blacksunshine, 15 February 2009 - 10:05 PM.

Forgive my spelling and grammar. I post from my cell phone a lot. Sometimes when I'm on the can at work.

#14 Daniel Beaver

Daniel Beaver

HQRSE CQCK

• Moderators
  • 2,097 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 10:47 PM

Felt/Washer darts hurt significantly less than stefans at short range - I would recommend using those. They also don't damage the surfaces they hit.

Small enclosed arenas are not a bad thing, it just alters the playing style.

#15 Wes7143

Wes7143

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 10:53 PM

You should know, right?

Anyone else get the pun?
QUOTE(VengefulWaffle)
Get off my boyfriend

If at first you don't succeed, add more epoxy.

#16 wingd man

wingd man

• Members
  • 514 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 09:39 AM

One small step for Nerf, One giant step for the NIC.

That better be added that hilarious quote to my signature, while playing with my butthole.

Done... and done.

Also: That has got to be the most awesome nerf arena EVER! Do they have those fast-moving laser dots that make images? If so, can you make them in the shape of a death-by-foam guy holding an X-bow? That would make the arena complete. :P

#17 Lynx

Lynx

• Members
  • 983 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 12:16 PM

I still love you Twitch.

All I need to be partying with you guys is a car and a job.

Edit: It's hard to overstate my satisfaction.

The Orange Hand? (TOBox vs. TOHand)

Edited by Lynx, 16 February 2009 - 12:17 PM.

Columbus' original crazy asshole now comes with:

AWESOME NITEFINDER

#18 Crom Strom

Crom Strom

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 03:21 PM

custom soundtracks?

CUSTOM SOUNDTRACKS? HOLY SHIT, AWESOME.

now you must use any sneaking theme from the Metal Gear Solid series. I think the tanker infiltration theme would work amazingly in this situation (and it's the first thing i thought of when i heard custom soundtracks)

#19 sputnik

sputnik

• Members
  • 911 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 06:30 PM

Huh, I was seriously thinking of posting our version of this...

Here goes.

Here in the WesTex Clan, we have weekly skirmishes, always at night, always at an amazing playground.

We use a mix of stock darts and stefans, and therefore started losing ALOT of darts...
So I realized last week that a Black light makes Nerfy shit glow.
I started putting a dab of neon nail polish on the tips of Stefans, and we haven't lost more than 10 darts a night since.

Twitch, that looks awesome...
Our lazer tag arena is tiny.
tcambre on IRC.

<3

#20 xtremejumpy

xtremejumpy

• Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 08:44 PM

I guess its time for me to post my write up on soft tip stefans. They would be a perfect soloution for this.

I would like to see that write up. Post a link or Pm me, we play indoors a lot! This would be great.

By the way,
Aperture Science,
We do what we must because we can.

Edited by xtremejumpy, 16 February 2009 - 08:45 PM.

#21 SchizophrenicMC

SchizophrenicMC

• Members
  • 390 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 08:56 PM

I would like to see that write up. Post a link or Pm me, we play indoors a lot! This would be great.

By the way,
Aperture Science,
We do what we must because we can.

I, also, need that writeup.

By the way

For the good of all of us
Except the ones who are dead.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake (Using stefans in CQB)
You just keep on trying till you run out of cake
And the science gets done(Writeup)
And you make a neat gun (This goes out to all the contributors)
For the people who are still alive!
:(

Edited by SchizophrenicMC, 16 February 2009 - 08:57 PM.

QUOTE(NerfUK @ May 8 2009, 11:54 AM) View Post

(I forgot to take a picture of my own poppers)

QUOTE(analogkid @ May 20 2009, 10:04 PM) View Post

Every size rod you could ever want.

#22 boisie

boisie

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 09:22 PM

Must go down there and pay double to get in on one night.

And by the way, Schiz, you wrote it wrong.

This was a triumph
I'm making a note here:
HUGE SUCCESS!
It's hard to overstate
My satisfaction.

Aperture Science
We do what we must
Eecause we can
Except the ones who are dead

But there's no sense crying over every mistake
And the science gets done
And you make a neat gun
For the people who are
Still Alive

I'm not even angry
I'm being so sincere right now
Even though you broke my heart
And killed me
And tore me to pieces
And threw every piece into a fire
As they burned it hurt because
I was so happy for you

Now these points of data
Make a beautifal line
And we're out of Beta
We're releasing on time!
So I'm GLaD. I got burned.
Think of all the things we learned
For the people who are
Still Alive

Go ahead and leave me
I think I prefer to stay inside
Maybe you'll find someone else
To help you.

Maybe Black Mesa!
That was a joke! [Ha Ha] Fat Chance!
Anyways this cake is great
It's so delicious and moist

Look at me still talking
When there's science to do
When I look out there
It makes me GLaD I'm not you
I've experiments to run
There is research to be done
On the people who are
Still Alive

And believe me,
I am still alive

I'm doing science and
I'm still alive

And while your dying,
I'll be still alive

And when your dead,
I'll be still alive
Still alive
Still Alive.

(Completely from memory. Beat that bitch)

Edit: Consolidated lyrics. Wish we had spoiler tags for this.

Edited by boisie, 16 February 2009 - 09:23 PM.

QUOTE(One Man Clan) View Post
You understand what you just did posting a picture of 4 girls on a message board chock full of nerdy virgins, right?
QUOTE(Foamfoot) View Post
Maybe if we download Ubuntu Christian edition, God will help us install it.

#23 SchizophrenicMC

SchizophrenicMC

• Members
  • 390 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 09:36 PM

This was a triumph
I'm making a note here:
HUGE SUCCESS!
It's hard to overstate
My satisfaction.

Aperture Science
We do what we must
Eecause we can
Except the ones who are dead

But there's no sense crying over every mistake
And the science gets done
And you make a neat gun
For the people who are
Still Alive

I'm not even angry
I'm being so sincere right now
Even though you broke my heart
And killed me
And tore me to pieces
And threw every piece into a fire
As they burned it hurt because
I was so happy for you

Now these points of data
Make a beautifal line
And we're out of Beta
We're releasing on time!
So I'm GLaD. I got burned.
Think of all the things we learned
For the people who are
Still Alive

Go ahead and leave me
I think I prefer to stay inside
Maybe you'll find someone else
To help you.

Maybe Black Mesa!
That was a joke! [Ha Ha] Fat Chance!
Anyways this cake is great
It's so delicious and moist

Look at me still talking
When there's science to do
When I look out there
It makes me GLaD I'm not you
I've experiments to run
There is research to be done
On the people who are
Still Alive

And believe me,
I am still alive

I'm doing science and
I'm still alive

And while your dying,
I'll be still alive

And when your dead,
I'll be still alive
Still alive
Still Alive.

(Completely from memory. Beat that bitch)

Edit: Consolidated lyrics. Wish we had spoiler tags for this.

Beat this one: I don't have the game, have heard "Still Alive" all of 3 times, wrote the right lyrics, and I actually have enough of a life not to memorize an entire song from a video game. :)

Moving on, everyone misspells Aperature Science. (I am now contradicting what I said about having a life now, aren't I? Crap...)

Anyway, this thread isn't here to bitch about a song from a video game, it's to bitch about how much we wish we were at that Effeminate war...

I wish I was at that Effeminate war...
QUOTE(NerfUK @ May 8 2009, 11:54 AM) View Post

(I forgot to take a picture of my own poppers)

QUOTE(analogkid @ May 20 2009, 10:04 PM) View Post

Every size rod you could ever want.

#24 boisie

boisie

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 10:00 PM

[consolidated. I had complete lyrics]

Beat this one: I don't have the game, have heard "Still Alive" all of 3 times, wrote the right lyrics, and I actually have enough of a life not to memorize an entire song from a video game. :)

Moving on, everyone misspells Aperture Science. (I am now contradicting what I said about having a life now, aren't I? Crap...)

Anyway, this thread isn't here to bitch about a song from a video game, it's to bitch about how much we wish we were at that Effeminate war...

I wish I was at that Effeminate war...

I just so happen to have my ipod on when I do the 3.5 drive to Cleveland twice every week. I'd call that even more of a life than you. I'm still making time for my friends in Cleveland.

And I'm so sorry I don't notice when spell check modifies every word of mine.
QUOTE(One Man Clan) View Post
You understand what you just did posting a picture of 4 girls on a message board chock full of nerdy virgins, right?
QUOTE(Foamfoot) View Post
Maybe if we download Ubuntu Christian edition, God will help us install it.

#25 Twitch

Twitch

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 10:28 PM

I'm glad so many have been impressed by the Cincinnati group's recent "haven for nerf," if you will.

A few quick points worth making.

- As you can see, long, unobstructed corridors are effectively non-existent. Anything firing farther than 100feet is just wasted energy.

- Stefans are not permitted for a myriad of reason; using only stock darts significantly decreases the chances of a light bulb, or the emergency EXIT signs getting broken. They are required to have an employee (usually the manager) in the arena with us any time a non-employee is in the arena. The absence of stefans prevents a stray shot from striking/annoying the aforementioned manager. They are under no obligation to let us utilize their facility. Maintaining a spotless rapport with the owners and management is critical.

Also, stock arts glow and are therefore incredibly awesome. Seeing a barrage of glowing darts rain down upon you from a recently-unloaded Magstrike is a both harrowing, and awe-inspiring sight. If you are not willing to forgo 15% of your range in exchange for such awesome perks, then I suspect you are in this hobby for the wrong reasons.

- regarding attendance; This is not a war open to the NIC at this time. I am tracking our attendance with great scrutiny. If our average attendance reveals itself to lend room for outsiders, the NIC will of course be notified. In the mean time, I implore you all to heed my advice, and make manifest your own incredibly awesome arena. We spend enough time modifying our toys, why not try and modify an arena?

Lastly, I'm delighted that so many of you got my allusion to the computer game, but for fuck's sake can we keep this thread from turning into a goddamn flame war? I don't care who started it, but if it continues anyone involved will be noted and not permitted to show up at our wars, in the (hopeful) event that we can open it to the NIC.

This thread is intended to serve as a write-up for how to replicate this arrangement on your own. Praise is of course welcome, (I am rather narcissistic , after all) but I'd like to keep the primary content of this thread to pictures and announcements from similar wars. Myself and bpso86 will periodically update the thread with new pictures and video when we acquire our 2nd arena (yes, we have made arrangements for two different facilities. Cincinnati is just that awesome.) I'm hoping Zaxbys will post some stuff when his group has their first war.

On a more positive note, thanks again for all positive enthusiasm, and I wish you the best of fortune in trying to create your own.
~bpso86

~JediJoe9

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users