My Nitefinder Mod: Unique Barrel Setup, Vaccum Loading, Minimization

etc.

27 replies to this topic

#1 diamondbacknf1626

diamondbacknf1626

• Members
  • 835 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 06:18 PM

Edit-before anyone else does this mod using a fairly beefy spring like I did, there is one more thing that you must do, or your blaster will be damaged. The screw holes that secure the plunger tube into the shell need to be re-enforced using some form of epoxy, or you could just hot glue the hell out of the plunger tube to get it to stay in place, but what I've realized is that over time, these screw ports will break, allowing your entire plunger tube to move, which in turn could damage the front of the shell. So before firing the blaster, Re-enforce these spots!. I cannot stress this enough. I don't want someone to try this mod, and have it ruin their nitefinder. The mod is still working extremely well, actually, regardless of the disconnection from the screwports, so it's still a beast of a pistol. I do recomend doing this mod still, just make sure you re-enforce those spots. I'm actually glad this got revived, so now I could make sure everyone knew that.

Ok, so I had a stock nitfinder on hand, and decided I needed a trusty sidearm that wasn't ramroded, couplered, or breached. That left vaccum loading, and I came up with this:
Posted Image
Now let's get to work.
I know everyone here most likely knows what this gun looks like stock, but here it is:
Posted Image
And its internals:
Posted Image
Now what sets this aside from other nitefinder mods is that there is no need for any of these pieces:
Posted Image
That means no air restrictors to boar out, none to drill out, none to sand out, and no worrying about creating an airtight seal because of a having a ton of pieces to interlock together. This means you immediately have ensured vaccum loading, and it’s actually a lot easier than other nitefinder mods. To start off, get yourself 4-5 inches of PETG (Mine was somewhere in between), and around 2 inches of thin wire or string. I found wire works best, and that is what I used. Take your wire and bend it around the edges of your PETG like so:
Posted Image
Then, take some e-tape and wrap one or two times around the base of the PETG in order to secure the wire and keep it in place. It should look like this:
Posted Image
Now for the original part of this mod. Take your e-tape and continue to wrap around the base of the PETG until it fits snugly in the plunger tube. If the e-tape extends a bit below the PETG, this is a good thing, because it will help to cushion the blow of the plunger head. Once it will fit snugly, squeeze a bit of superglue around the edge of the e-tape and slide it into the plunger so about half of the e-tape is in, and half is out. It should look like this:
Posted Image
You can also then wrap once or twice around the outside incase you’re worried about making a good seal, but it should already be perfect. Now I don’t have any pics of the assembly of the plunger rod, because I took it from a finished nitefinder I already had, but here is a picture of it finished:
Posted Image
I used an industrial spring, a beastly catch spring I was able to find, added an o-ring, and put some e-tape under them both in order to insure a nice seal within the plunger. I also re-enforced the plunger head a bit with some epoxy and I believe I used a longer screw to attach the plunger head. Now lube it up and put it back in the plunger, you’re done with your barrel assembly. Now for minimization.
Take your shell and remove the entire laser piece:
Posted Image
Now that that’s out, what you want to do is just cut the shell along these lines:
Posted Image
Once you’ve cut the shell, sand down the shell on both sides here until one of the ammo holders will fit vertically inside (mine’s only in halfway, but you can chose for yours to be in all the way):
Posted Image
Then, I lost the picture somehow, but what you want to do is superglue one of the amo holders vertically into one side of the shell (only do this to one side because you want to still have the ability to reopen the shell if you choose to.
Once that’s done, congratulations, you can now close up the shell, and screw it all back together, because you’re done for now. Once it’s all closed up, we’re going to be adding a secret amo compartment that will allow you to store one extra dart well…secretly.
Take a pair of cutting pliers and snip off this little piece near the battery holder:
Posted Image
Don’t cut off the whole thing, you still want a little bit there so the battery cover won’t swivel when you don’t want it to. Now, what you need to do is take the battery cover. See those two screws in on there? Unscrew them and remove this piece:
Posted Image
Then screw that plate back on and you’re almost done. Screw the battery cover back on, and now to open your secret compartment, pull down on the back edge of the cover and rotate it to the side, which will open up and hold a Stefan very comfortably:
Posted Image
Almost done. There’s one more thing to add to this mod that’s optional but makes a nice handy addition. I don’t have pics of this part, but I will edit them in shortly. What you need to do is take a Mag Strike clip, unscrew the screws that you see in it, pop off the top cap, and then retrieve the belt clip itself. You’ll see that it steps down a few times on the clip. What you want to do is sand/cut those different levels off so it’s flush on that side. Then, if you’re a righty, you superglue or epoxy this clip to the left black portion of your nitefinder (where it says NERF), and it can now clip onto your belt or pocket (If you’re a lefty, glue it on the right side).
Now you’re done. I hit around 60 with BB weighted stefans, and the pistol is also vaccum loading (A few fat darts I have occasionally only suck about halfway down the barrel, but they still fire fine. I was extremely happy with the results, so to me, it really was a revolutionary nitefinder mod.

By the way, I am in no way claiming credit for the clip addition, minimization, or vertical amo holder addition to the front of the pistol, but am for the new barrel replacement and secret amo compartment. I have seen the front amo holder addition done before, as well as the clip on the side, just not a write up.

Any comments are greatly appreciated, and questions are welcome.

Edited by diamondbacknf1626, 07 May 2009 - 08:24 AM.

#2 Nerfer327

Nerfer327

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 06:22 PM

That was my idea....

Damn.
QUOTE(Pineapple @ Feb 4 2009, 04:04 AM) View Post

The last thing we need is a mass gathering of prepubesent boners all over the place

Forsaken_angel24 Said-
Time heals all wounds.
But it cannot hide the scars.

#3 Blue

Blue

• Members
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 06:25 PM

Looks great, but people have done the barrel replacement like yours only with CPVC couplers many times before.

#4 diamondbacknf1626

diamondbacknf1626

• Members
  • 835 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 06:48 PM

That was my idea....

Damn.

I want to say lol, but no internet slang. I'm laughing though, beat you to it. I actually just thought it up yesterday...and figured it would work nicely.

Looks great, but people have done the barrel replacement like yours only with CPVC couplers many times before.

Thanks, I've actually never seen one using this method before (using e-tape to make the seal and discarding all of the ar pieces), with CPVC couplers either...I wish I had, I would've probably come up with this a lot sooner.

#5 Split

Split

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 06:54 PM

Are your ranges flat? Vacuum loading only works if the darts have a decently loose fit (that's why some of them only go half way - the slight variance in diameter is too tight to load this way), which translates into lower ranges. For example, my Urukai bow, when ramrodded with my big darts, shoots about 100' flat, but when vaccuum loading with looser darts (my old ones were from Wldworld - awesome foam), only shot about 60-70' flat, but shot much quicker. 60 flat would seem really high for a vacuum loading nf. You did the works to it though, so nice job.
Teehee.

#6 diamondbacknf1626

diamondbacknf1626

• Members
  • 835 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 07:03 PM

Are your ranges flat? Vacuum loading only works if the darts have a decently loose fit (that's why some of them only go half way - the slight variance in diameter is too tight to load this way), which translates into lower ranges. For example, my Urukai bow, when ramrodded with my big darts, shoots about 100' flat, but when vaccuum loading with looser darts (my old ones were from Wldworld - awesome foam), only shot about 60-70' flat, but shot much quicker. 60 flat would seem really high for a vacuum loading nf. You did the works to it though, so nice job.

I understand what you're saying. Those ranges are done using darts that are somewhat of a perfect medium between being too tight and lose in the barrel, so they vacuum load, but aren't too lose. I didn't go above sixty often, but it was generally around sixty, high fifties, and yes, ranges were taken flat., although I generally don't necessarily believe in flat shots. I understand they're the only way to properly range test a gun, which is why I did the tests flat, but when not doing a range test or am having a little war with my brother and friends, shots are almost always taken with a slight ark. It is very slight, probably not even measurable by eyeing it up, but it would increase ranges a bit. The spring is also pretty beastly, which contributes greatly to the ranges I'm getting. Plunger seal is also good, like you said, the works. But yeah, ranges are taken flat. Thank you, I appreceate it.

I don't really want to derail the thread too far back and forth between us, so if you have anything you want to ask or comment on (unless they could help someone else doing the mod), feel free to PM me. So anyone else, questions, comments, suggestions?

Edited by diamondbacknf1626, 08 February 2009 - 07:05 PM.

#7 Quilan Fett

Quilan Fett

• Members
  • 678 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 07:54 PM

This is what I did with my NF's, except I glued the barrels in instead of taping them.

With PETG and no AR's.
SNAP Shotgun

This guy can see the future!

QUOTE(pokemaster @ Mar 3 2009, 04:18 PM) View Post

hasbro in a nerf war!!!!! dude the will cancel it and confinscate are guns

#8 diamondbacknf1626

diamondbacknf1626

• Members
  • 835 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 07:59 PM

This is what I did with my NF's, except I glued the barrels in instead of taping them.

With PETG and no AR's.

Cool, what kind of results did you get out of yours? And how did you bridge the gap between the barrel and the plunger tube?

#9 Zaxbys

Zaxbys

Groove's Protégé

• Members
  • 510 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 12:24 AM

Nice little NF mod you have there.

I do like the dart compartment idea.

~Zaxbys
"Bitces be crazy"

"Hey girl... you like water sports?"

~Groove 6/26/09

#10 diamondbacknf1626

diamondbacknf1626

• Members
  • 835 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 09:59 PM

Ok, I have been thinking, and discussing this with my parents, and I've decided that I may be willing to make these for anyone who would like to buy one. I understand this isn't the trading section of the forums, but this is the pistol I'm planning on making. I also understand that it isn't difficult to do...but if anyone's interested, please let me know. If there is an interest in this, I would be willing to do it. I'd also be willing to do simple mods to crossfires/strikefires if anyone would like one of those done, but I'm going to stick to pistols for now. Would there be an interest at all? I'd like some feedback before I move ahead with this.

By the way, thanks zax, that's an original idea of mine. I actually came up with it a while back when I modded a nf for my brother, and figured it'd fit in nicely here.

#11 Quilan Fett

Quilan Fett

• Members
  • 678 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 12:38 AM

With PETG and no AR's.

Cool, what kind of results did you get out of yours? And how did you bridge the gap between the barrel and the plunger tube?

Oh, wow. I stand corrected. Guess I did use one peice. I used the stock bridge piece drilled out. It's been a while.
SNAP Shotgun

This guy can see the future!

QUOTE(pokemaster @ Mar 3 2009, 04:18 PM) View Post

hasbro in a nerf war!!!!! dude the will cancel it and confinscate are guns

#12 washedup

washedup

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 01:21 AM

Not trying to burst your bubble, but I doubt you'll get a lot of interest. The NF is one the cheapest and easiest guns to mod. And yours is a run of the mill, modded NF.
Go FUCK yourself!

#13 diamondbacknf1626

diamondbacknf1626

• Members
  • 835 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 07:13 PM

Qui'lan Fett- Don't worry about it, but that's the beauty of this style barrel replacement. You don't have to use any of those pieces at all, drilled out or not, you don't use them. This one is also almost automatically air tight, which means vaccum loading's not even a question, if you have the right dart/barrel fit, this pistol will vaccum load. It does work though with barrel materials such as CPVC. It doesn't vaccum load, but it's still a pretty cool little pistol. My brother just made one with CPVC using my design.

washedup- No bubbles bursted, don't worry about it. I understand this isn't anything spectacular. The title probably doesn't deserve "Revolutionary" in it...but I've changed it back and forth so many times I'm just going to leave it. I just thought it was a good pistol, and a nice mod done to it, and figured I'd be more than willing to make one if requested for someone willing to buy it. I never expected an intense interest in it. But still, if anyone would like to have one made for them, just PM me or post here, and we can work out details. Like I said before, Crossfires/Strikefires work too.

Anyway...any more comments? Questions? Anything? Seeing as this is my first writeup, I'd really like some input. How I could make the writeup better, how I could make the gun better, compliments, criticism, anything.

#14 BendyStraw

BendyStraw

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 08:00 PM

Looks great. I've added ammo holders in the handle and under the barrel myself. Keep up the good work.
WARNING - I'M BRUTALLY HARD TO READ!

#15 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 10:40 PM

Interesting. How do you keep the barrel perfectly straight? Seems like if it gets bumped it'll shift around a bit.
SexD Warves

#16 diamondbacknf1626

diamondbacknf1626

• Members
  • 835 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 11:02 PM

BendyStraw- Thanks. Cool, like I said, I claim no credit for the ammo holders under the barrel, or even amo in the handle in general, but using the battery cover to swivel like that, correct me if I'm wrong, was my idea. If someone else has come up with this though, please let me know. I don't want to take credit for something that isn't mine.

NerfMonkey- The way the barrel is set up with the e-tape around it plus the superglue sealing it into the plunger tube is actually quite sturdy. I am careful with my guns, so I'm not dropping them or anything, but the barrel assembly is actually sturdy enough to be able to withstand it. That's another benefit to this mod, the barrel is always going to be perfectly straight and sturdy.

Edited by diamondbacknf1626, 10 February 2009 - 11:08 PM.

#17 CoasterDynamix757

CoasterDynamix757

• Members
  • 390 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 11:07 PM

Are you using OMC's thick walled PETG?
Is it fear or courage that compels you?

Coaster's Everything Thread.

#18 diamondbacknf1626

diamondbacknf1626

• Members
  • 835 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 11:10 PM

Are you using OMC's thick walled PETG?

I actually got my PETG from Mod Man, considering I got it before my account got validated, but I believe the dimensions are the same. It is thick walled.

#19 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 11:18 PM

I don't see anything "Revolutionary" here. You're not even the first person to use and unjustifiably grandiose adjective to promote your work.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 10 February 2009 - 11:18 PM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#20 diamondbacknf1626

diamondbacknf1626

• Members
  • 835 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 11:25 PM

I don't see anything "Revolutionary" here. You're not even the first person to use and unjustifiably grandiose adjective to promote your work.

I think it's about time I changed that title for good. I've changed it back and forth several times since I posted the write-up, and just kind of got tired of changing it, and left it. I'll change it though, because I'm really not trying to make this out to any more than it is. Sorry if it seemed like I was hyping it up without reason. I will change it now.

#21 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 05:23 PM

I don't really give a shit what the title is, it's a nice mod. Call it whatever you want; if people care more about your topic title than the writeup itself that's too bad.

This inspired me to dig out my old junker NF and fix it up. Just epoxied the bottom restrictor piece into the plunger tube so if it dries crooked I'll try this on one of my spare tubes and see how it works out.
SexD Warves

#22 MicHaeL SawChucK

MicHaeL SawChucK

• Banned
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 07:28 PM

Nice mod! :)
92% of teens would cry if Miley Cyrus was about to jump off a building.
If you are part of the 8% who would say "Jump B****, JUMP!!!!" . . .
Copy and paste this in your signature.

Don't forget about the Jones Brothers yO!=P

#23 Skorpion

Skorpion

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 07:46 PM

Thats pretty cool. My nitefinder is a piece of crap now. Its all messed up because I try to replace my barrel with PVC and when I shot it the barrel blew up. SO now half of the barrel area is missing and the old barrel is glue in place. It still gets decent ranges.

#24 diamondbacknf1626

diamondbacknf1626

• Members
  • 835 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 09:51 PM

Thanks for the feedback, guys. It's nice to hear for a first write-up. I'm glad I'm inspiring at least a few people to break out their nite finders. It really is a nice little pistol, and a powerful one, too.

Slug was kind of right though. What I did was unique, but not revolutionary. I shouldn't have used that adjective to describe my work, but Nerf Monkey, you're right. Regardless of my title, what's important is the write-up its self.

Again, thanks for the comments, keep them coming.

#25 CoasterDynamix757

CoasterDynamix757

• Members
  • 390 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 10:22 PM

I thought about starting a new help thread about this mod, but I guess I'll post here since it's your mod. Anyway I have done everything to my NF besides the replacement spring(shipping to me). But it seems like it SUCKS now! I'm definatly not bashing your mod, but I seem to have some problems including:

Inconsistant ranges
And if I keep the stefan in the front it shoots futher than the vaccume loadded stefan.

For more info on what I did is this mod is I used OMC petg, lubed up orings, and I am using blacksunshine's standard darts fireing flat in my living room.

Some help would be appriciated.
Is it fear or courage that compels you?

Coaster's Everything Thread.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users