Pump Shotty Plunger Fix

For all those with broken plungers

7 replies to this topic

#1 ice

ice

• Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 08:35 AM

At the last war I etended, PA war, some was using a PAS that more or less exploded on them during a round. We opened it up and found the plunger rod snapped in half. the kid didn't want it any more, and offered it to anyone that did want it, seeing as he couldn't repair it and generally didn't care. It was given to me to take home, and here's what I did to it.

Posted Image
First, if your break is near were mine is (at the plunger head), clip off the four tabs around the shaft that still remains on the plunger head.

Take a piece of wire about roughly the size of the twist ties that the gun is packaged in (which is actually what I used, worked great) and insert it into the long end of the plunger (the plunger it hollow).

Posted Image

Posted Image

Take roughly 6 inches of cpvc and slide it onto the long end of the plunger. Then glue the two ends of the plunger together (with super glue), while making sure the cpvc stays on the plunger.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Let that dry a couple minutes, then take your hotglue gun and glue the living hell out of the plunger with it. Make sure to get the plunger head a good bit as well. Once you have it good and gunked up, slide the cpvc over it, compress and give it time to dry. Really, the super glue alone would have held for a good while, but this is just an insane reinforcement (you might argue that it's not because it'sonly hotglue, but it pretty much became one solid piece with the plunger).

Posted Image

Posted Image

Add springs, and YOUR DONE.

Posted Image

This has been done for over a week now and has been shot over 200 times, with no sings of weakening at all. It has the stock and LS springs in it.

Edited by ice, 10 January 2009 - 08:39 AM.

<!--quoteo(post=206428:date=Jan 25 2009, 05:17 PM:name=Mukersman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mukersman @ Jan 25 2009, 05:17 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
Turd stefans. When I pulled these out of the pillow case i was just like, what... the... fuck...
Muker
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#2 ace of nerf

ace of nerf

• Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 10:13 AM

Thank you. Two days ago my plunger broke , and this is just what I needed. Good job!
Kid Flash "I mainly wanted the balls."

#3 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 10:27 AM

Nice repair. Have you noticed a decrease in range, with the increase in plunger mass?
Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#4 Mr BadWrench

Mr BadWrench

• Members
  • 781 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 10:45 AM

I don't think it will hold.... the hotglue could have made the plunger tube hot enough to release the superglue.. cyanacrolate does not resist temperatures well...

You should have just used the hotglue, or used an epoxy that was temperature resistant....

Something that is much stronger is if you use goop and shrink tubing. I get heavy wall shrink tubing from the truckstop and I use it in layers with marine goop..... last time I fixed something similar it was an rc plane, I slipped 3 pieces of shrink tubing over the rod and as far out of the way as possible, I jammed a piece of CF rod inside after applying goop with a small paintbrush. I covered the outside of the rod with goop and slipped the first piece of shrink tubing over.. I used a turbo lighter to shrink the tubing then covered that with goop and slipped the next pieces of tubing over with layers of goop between...

It was a good idea to put something down the middle to reinforce and I do not know how big the cavity inside the rod is but I would try using some carbonfiber rod or stiff steel rod instead of somethign flexible, Ca glue does not bond well to flexible materials..

Don

Edited by Mr BadWrench, 10 January 2009 - 10:46 AM.

NerfChat IRC Chatroom Click to chat!

#5 Axle-Gear

Axle-Gear

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 07:30 PM

I don't think it will hold.... the hotglue could have made the plunger tube hot enough to release the superglue.. cyanacrolate does not resist temperatures well...

This has been done for over a week now and has been shot over 200 times, with no sings of weakening at all. It has the stock and LS springs in it.

Hmm...

In my limited experience with plastic repairs, if it doesn't break the first two or three times, it'll probably hold for a good, long while. I sort of wish a similar technique could be used on a broken trigger piece to my RFR.

#6 rokor

rokor

• Members
  • 792 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 07:36 PM

Axle, you are one of the stupidest members here... You obviously don't have much experience because everything weakens when pressure is being put on it. The material will have say in how long it lasts, but it will still weaken.
"Sorry rokor...my cousin is gay too...it's okay...we're tolerant"
Talio in Shoutbox.

#7 Mr BadWrench

Mr BadWrench

• Members
  • 781 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 10:13 PM

In my limited experience with plastic repairs, hold for a good, long while. I sort of wish a similar technique could be used on a broken trigger piece to my RFR.

your experience does not tell you that a RFR is not worth fixing does it?
NerfChat IRC Chatroom Click to chat!

#8 Ubermensch

Ubermensch

• Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 10:25 PM

Axle, you are one of the stupidest members here... You obviously don't have much experience because everything weakens when pressure is being put on it. The material will have say in how long it lasts, but it will still weaken.

Rokor, don't be a douche.
"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."-Carl Sagan
Nerf Rocket Air Launcher

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users