NerfHaven: Painting A Batman Symbol On An At2k - NerfHaven

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Painting A Batman Symbol On An At2k How would I go about doing this?

#1 User is offline   Noodleownz 

  • Self-Fondler
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 510
  • Joined: 26-January 08
  • Location:Chicago / Minneapolis
  • Country:United States
  • State:Illinois

Posted 14 December 2008 - 09:21 AM

How would I go about painting a Batman symbol on the side of my black at2k? I think it would be a cool cosmetic to the gun, and wanted to know how you guys would go about painting one. Some sort of spray paint method would be ideal. I don't have an stencils, so would I still be able to do this? I'm obviously going to paint this before I put clear coat on.

Thanks!
John :(
It's Nerf or Nothin'!
0

#2 User is offline   imaseoulman 

  • Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,003
  • Joined: 24-January 07
  • Location:Saratoga Springs, NY

Posted 14 December 2008 - 09:30 AM

The easiest method I know of is masking. You cover the blaster with masking tape (a very non-sticky kind) and then draw your batman symbol on the blaster. Using a hobby knife, carefully cut out your symbol.

Then spray the symbol on there. The reverse is also possible. Spray the whole blaster one color, then tape down a batman symbol and spray the rest of the blaster.
0

#3 User is offline   AJZ 

  • Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 364
  • Joined: 25-June 08
  • Location:Cali

Posted 14 December 2008 - 09:30 AM

Draw the symbol on a piece of paper and cut it out. Now you have a stencil.

I think you know what to do after

Edit: imaseoulman...you had to post a second before mine

This post has been edited by AJ.Z: 14 December 2008 - 09:31 AM

0

#4 User is offline   Noodleownz 

  • Self-Fondler
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 510
  • Joined: 26-January 08
  • Location:Chicago / Minneapolis
  • Country:United States
  • State:Illinois

Posted 14 December 2008 - 09:34 AM

View PostAJ.Z, on Dec 14 2008, 11:30 AM, said:

Draw the symbol on a piece of paper and cut it out. Now you have a stencil.

I think you know what to do after

Edit: imaseoulman...you had to post a second before mine

So I chose this image:
http://www.80stees.com/images/products/Bat...mbol-T-link.jpg
I cut all the black out around the symbol. Now do I just put that on my gun, and spray paint on it? I'm a bit confused

Edit: I understand imaseoulman's method now. Thanks.

This post has been edited by Noodleownz: 14 December 2008 - 09:37 AM

It's Nerf or Nothin'!
0

#5 User is offline   UpperHand 

  • Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 172
  • Joined: 27-April 08
  • Location:Wellesley, MA

Posted 14 December 2008 - 09:35 AM

The real question is, why would you want a batman gun? Just kidding. Anyways, I have found imaseoulmans method is better because for a stencil the paint can leak under the paper.

EDIT- Sorry, right after you posted. For the symbol you want you could connect the side of the tail or one of the wings on the bat to the black part. Then cut out all of the yellow part except for the little bridge between the yellow and black. Most people won't even notice the little "bridge", plus it will keep the batman symbol in the exact place you want it.

This post has been edited by UpperHand: 14 December 2008 - 09:39 AM

My SCR-6
My Homemade Sidearm
QUOTE
The least you could do is tell me some advice. geese!

-- Headshot 21
0

#6 User is offline   Banshee 

  • Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 664
  • Joined: 22-July 07
  • Location:Chandler, Arizona
  • Country:NULL (No answer)
  • State:NULL (No Answer)

Posted 14 December 2008 - 09:41 AM

View PostUpperHand, on Dec 14 2008, 10:35 AM, said:

The real question is, why would you want a batman gun? Just kidding. Anyways, I have found imaseoulmans method is better because for a stencil the paint can leak under the paper.

EDIT- Sorry, right after you posted. For the symbol you want you could connect the side of the tail or one of the wings on the bat to the black part. Then cut out all of the yellow part except for the little bridge between the yellow and black. Most people won't even notice the little "bridge", plus it will keep the batman symbol in the exact place you want it.

Also, if you use very thin coats, wait 10-15 between them, and do that you wont get any running under the paper or tape for that matter.
Like my page on Facebook! PM me, I do commissions!
0

#7 User is offline   UpperHand 

  • Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 172
  • Joined: 27-April 08
  • Location:Wellesley, MA

Posted 14 December 2008 - 10:06 AM

View PostBanshee, on Dec 14 2008, 09:41 AM, said:

View PostUpperHand, on Dec 14 2008, 10:35 AM, said:

The real question is, why would you want a batman gun? Just kidding. Anyways, I have found imaseoulmans method is better because for a stencil the paint can leak under the paper.

EDIT- Sorry, right after you posted. For the symbol you want you could connect the side of the tail or one of the wings on the bat to the black part. Then cut out all of the yellow part except for the little bridge between the yellow and black. Most people won't even notice the little "bridge", plus it will keep the batman symbol in the exact place you want it.

Also, if you use very thin coats, wait 10-15 between them, and do that you wont get any running under the paper or tape for that matter.


True dat. Maybe I just suck at paint jobs.
My SCR-6
My Homemade Sidearm
QUOTE
The least you could do is tell me some advice. geese!

-- Headshot 21
0

#8 User is offline   Talio 

  • Not your mother
  • Group: Contributors
  • Posts: 2,781
  • Joined: 17-July 03
  • Country:NULL (No answer)
  • State:NULL (No Answer)

Posted 14 December 2008 - 11:21 AM

I personally would go get some paint and then I would paint a batman symbol on it.
New posts on my blog, check it out. - Click on the ad too, cause I get money per click. Give back to the Admin team for once!
0

#9 User is offline   Kyrativ 

  • Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 149
  • Joined: 10-May 08
  • Location:Alberta, Canada
  • Country:Canada
  • State:Alberta

Posted 14 December 2008 - 12:11 PM

Im with talio, I'd get myself a paint pot and hand paint it but I usually draw it on paper a few times to make sure I can do it first.
The only nerfer who could kick your ass with a dart tag gun but not with a xbow

NERFSTRONG #44
0

#10 User is offline   Just Some Bob 

  • Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2,991
  • Joined: 15-July 08
  • Location:San Jose, California 95124
  • Country:United States
  • State:California

Posted 14 December 2008 - 12:40 PM

Have you already painted it black?
If you want a bright yellow, black paint underneath makes it harder to get bright. Dark paint over bright usually works, but bright paint over dark usually needs at least one transition coat.

I would go to a hobby or craft store and get a couple of sheets of frisket paper. It's pretty much a large clear thin sticky label with backing paper. You can draw anything you like on it, then cut it out with an x-acto knife. And then you have handmade stencils! But you said you don't have stencils... If you can't make any either, that pretty much just leaves hand painting - or at least hand masking.

For that, I would start with the outline. Using some kind of flexible masking tape, create just the oval. Mask everything else off. Spray a coat of white first (if you want bright yellow), let it cure, then spray flat yellow. Yes, flat paint. Leave the glossy finish to the clear-coat, later. Use flat because you want to be able to draw on it easily. If you can't get flat, gloss might work, but it will be much harder to freely draw on. Let that cure for an extra day or two. If you had to use gloss, you could go over it very lightly with super-fine sandpaper now, and knock the gloss off. Now get a soft-lead pencil and, starting from inside the bat shape, pencil in the outline of your bat. Be very careful to not draw where you want to keep the yellow. When you like your outline of the bat, mask off everything else. Everything outside the oval is still masked, so now you are covering up the part you want to stay yellow. Then carefully sand the unmasked part just enough to "erase" the pencil marks. It won't take much, and the black will stick better. Paint your black bat. Next, unmask everything, touch up whatever needs it, and finally spray your glossy clear coat.
The internet is a collaborative work of performance art.
Take anything personally at your own risk.

[09:19] Talio: I'm trying to help them and they kick me for a rule that wasn't even clearly stated?
[09:19] Talio: That's some serious BS
0

Share this topic:


Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users