Lanard Copying Nerf?

interesting

16 replies to this topic

#1 ItalionStallion

ItalionStallion

• Members
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 10:29 PM

OK, i just recentley sold my nerf eagle eye with box on ebay for 25 bucks. I was pretty amazed that someone bought it now for that much in thw first place.

Anyway, yesteray i got the check and right on the check it said lanard toy company right on the front. That immediatley led me to believe that they may be using this to see wghat nerf us doing, or is this just a 1 in a million coincidence.

See for yourself.

Posted Image

Edit: Your gonna have to copy the url.

Edited by ItalionStallion, 15 January 2004 - 10:29 PM.

#2 Dysenteric

Dysenteric

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 10:54 PM

Whoa, that's a pretty big coincidence.
What are those rapscallions up to?

Edited by Dysenteric, 15 January 2004 - 10:55 PM.

#3 sporkboyofjustice

sporkboyofjustice

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 10:54 PM

"To be prepared for the future you must know your history."

I can think of a couple reasons why this purchase was made by Lanard, but the most probable is that they are doing market research. What better way is there for a team to design new gun than by gathering everything together that has been done before and analyzing it. Think about it, get every gun ever made together, everyone start playing with them and then write down what you like about it and what you don’t, OK now everyone trade with someone else and do it again.

That sounds like a productive way to do things. Out of the good guns you can then take them apart and find out what made them good and what made the crappy guns crap. This way you can use your competitors’ mistakes and years of experience to your advantage. After the success of their last line it appears as if they are planning more guns for the year to come which is great news as I’m sure we’ll all run out and get the next great guns that they produce.

That would be the best case scenario, worst case is that someone at Lanard likes to collect Nerf guns.

#4 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 10:43 AM

That would be the best case scenario, worst case is that someone at Lanard likes to collect Nerf guns.

And expense it to the company? Doubtful.

I think this is pretty clear evidence that Lanard is planning a new, significantly different line of guns. If it was already decided that they were just going to rehash their last line they wouldn't bother with the market research.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#5 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 10:51 AM

I just hope they don't say, wow this strong-arm thing or this perceptor thing is great, let's do this! It would suck if Lanard decided to nerf their guns because they found out the max shot could put an eye out.

Edit:when I said, "if Lanard decided to nerf their guns " I meant dumbing down their guns, I didn't mean makeing their guns more like the brand nerf.

Edited by Langley, 16 January 2004 - 10:55 AM.

You can poop in my toilet anytime champ.

2016 Nerf War Schedule
Bless you, my son. Now recite 3 New Members Guides and 5 Code of Conducts for your sins.

#6 sporkboyofjustice

sporkboyofjustice

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 11:16 AM

Yes it would be doubtful that someone would charge a personal expense like that to the company but those executive types can get away with a lot. It is nice to see that they purchased a spring gun. I picked up an eagle eye not to long ago and I like the two handed cock and shoot style that it could offer. I would like to give it some kind of rapid load, bolt style clip action but I don't know if I can do it.

It would be sad see a dumbed down Lanard line. "Hey guys, come check out this kick ass air restrictor on the NF, let's slap one of those babies in a MaxShot." Yeah, that would suck. Hopefully there is someone at Lanard monitoring the boards, getting the low down from the street you know.

#7 silent mercenary

silent mercenary

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 07:11 PM

Sounds like a little reverse engineering, ya know; to see what the competition is capable of, or what they were capable of. It would be a little disturbing to see a great gun such as the max shot be nerfed... they could just be doing a little research on spring guns.
I will not walk, so that a child may live!

- Master Shake

#8 sporkboyofjustice

sporkboyofjustice

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 17 January 2004 - 10:39 PM

It appears that Lanard has done similar research on the Max Shot line. I just picked up a gun made by Mattel and made in 1994. It has similar cocking and safety mechanisms. It fires missiles like the Ultimator and XXL bazooka. The gun is strikingly similar. Is anyone familiar with this without me taking a picture of it? I can post a picture if need be, please help.

#9 Gamefreak

Gamefreak

• Members
  • 362 posts

Posted 17 January 2004 - 10:47 PM

Maxie or something like that.
Gamertag : Corpseoftheyear

QUOTE(substance abuse)
No offense but soldat has to be the worst game ever made
Like anyone could even know that, GOSH.

#10 NinjaBob

NinjaBob

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 03:23 AM

Posted Image Is this what your talking about? If so its the Maximizer made by Matel (before it owned nerf I beleive)

Edited by NinjaBob, 18 January 2004 - 03:24 AM.

facebook.com/gregdp

#11 serpent sniper

serpent sniper

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 10:54 AM

I had this dream last night where I went in wal mart and there were all these new guns with the nerf logo and the lanard logo on them... Man, that was weird.
Animus GmbH My Custom Nerf Props and Paintjobs

#12 J cobbers

J cobbers

• Members
  • 586 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 12:06 PM

Mattel made the Maximizer and the Ultimator. Furthermore Nerf is owned by Hasbro. Mattel never owned Nerf. Nerf was for a while under Kenner Toys, which was a subsidary of Hasbro. I remember getting a toy batmobile back in the day that came with a small catalog of kenner toys. The last section of that booklet was filled with nerf toys.

I never got around to buying any of the Lanard guns, but didn't they come with darts that were rip offs of Nerf Mega darts?

Don't forget to eat your meat based vegetable substitute children.

#13 sporkboyofjustice

sporkboyofjustice

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 01:01 PM

Yes NinjaBob that is indeed the gun that I'm talking about. It seems to be the same as the Lanard line aside from the ammo and cosmetic differences but I haven't opened it up yet. Thanks for the identification of that one, somehow when I get them the stickers have usually fallen off, of course if NC was still up... Speaking of which I see that you posted a NC pic, you wouldn't happen to have that on your hard drive would you? If you do, have you had any thoughts about burning that puppy to some CDs for people to buy?

As for the Lanard ammo each gun they came out came with something different. The FirstShot came with Megas
The TripleShot came with missles
The MaxShot came with big ass foam darts, I don't have this one so I can't give a very good description of them.

#14 Ranger

Ranger

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 03:16 PM

OK, i just recentley sold my nerf eagle eye with box on ebay for 25 bucks. I was pretty amazed that someone bought it now for that much in thw first place.

Anyway, yesteray i got the check and right on the check it said lanard toy company right on the front. That immediatley led me to believe that they may be using this to see wghat nerf us doing, or is this just a 1 in a million coincidence.

See for yourself.

Posted Image

Maybe the guy worked for Lanard toys and used his paycheck or something to pay for it.
n00bs with n00b t00bs.. You'll know what I'm talking about if you play Enemy Territory.

#15 Nerfer16

Nerfer16

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 06:45 PM

See for yourself.

Posted Image

Maybe the guy worked for Lanard toys and used his paycheck or something to pay for it.

I doubt it.
Nerfer16 of the Seattle Tactical Nerf Team
Nerf on!

#16 Grinch

Grinch

• Members
  • 642 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 08:04 PM

I doubt it.

You know, you can snip your quotes up to make them smaller?
Webmaster of Nerf World

Previously mrgrinch_nm!

#17 Nerfer16

Nerfer16

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 08:26 PM

Yes, I probably should have done that. :lol:
Nerfer16 of the Seattle Tactical Nerf Team
Nerf on!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users